Community
Search
Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

It cost how much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 12:55 PM
cetme308

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It cost how much?

Was at the local hobby store and seen a young boy with his parents looking at the rc cars/trucks. I was in the same area and heard the mom say "it cost how much, I thought we had a budget of $100". Thankfully my back was to them as I grinned upon hearing her say that. I didn't catch what was said after that but it sounded like they were going to ask the store owner something about a brand I'm not familiar with. They still hadn't moved from the area by the time I was done with my stuff so I kinda made eye contact and ask if they had one before. The dad said he did nitro 20 years ago and that they were tired of buying toy level electric that broke easily. I pretty much gave them an opening to ask questions but I think the mom was in a state of sticker shock and the dad doing his best to figure out how to get something.

I believe they was looking at a micro as the box was pretty dang small. I recall it being blue mainly. Oh well.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:24 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

NEVER bring Momma to the hobby shop.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:30 AM
Wagon1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....or your wife see the receipts
Old 09-08-2015, 12:06 PM
KC Air

Originally Posted by aspeed
NEVER bring Momma to the hobby shop.
+1
Old 04-22-2016, 01:12 PM
RC Pilot 007

my gf love my hobby gives me her $$$ to have fun
Old 05-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Wild-flyer

I had a guy say Holy S#!% you paid $100 for that motor? ( a Supertiger 60 Bluehead ABC )

He thought I was nuts

I responded "I wish I could spend as much on my hobby as you do on those cigarettes you are smoking, what are they about $5 a pack now?"
(he had smoked at least 3 while watching for an hour)

He left in a huff. but I sure felt good.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:08 PM
RC Pilot 007

Originally Posted by Wild-flyer
I had a guy say Holy S#!% you paid $100 for that motor? ( a Supertiger 60 Bluehead ABC )

He thought I was nuts

I responded "I wish I could spend as much on my hobby as you do on those cigarettes you are smoking, what are they about $5 a pack now?"
(he had smoked at least 3 while watching for an hour)

He left in a huff. but I sure felt good.
cigs $10+ pack by me
Old 12-23-2016, 04:17 PM
bbbair

long ago I was at a display and a fellow came over asking LOTS of questions - he was mid 50s and VERY Excited - his wife was there too and was thoroughly disgusted with these TOYS...

Eventually he asked; 'How Much?'
and I couldn't resist...

I said "Thirty Thousand to Start!"
I thought that her head was going to come off the way it spun around that fast!

I continued, "Yes, there are a few variables but The Kit will cost about $300.00, the motor about $100, the Radio and servos about $300, then there is the covering, fuel, starter, wheels, glue, tools and a hundred odd nuts and bolts that should round off to about $1000.00.
The OTHER $29,000.00 is for a new van to get it all to the field to go flying."

I never did see that guy again...
Old 12-23-2016, 06:17 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

One can get a high maintenance wife and be in debt for the rest of his life, and not be happy. One can go to Kentucky and find a better woman who would love to stay home and cook, make her own clothes, perhaps garden as a hobby. All things are relative, one can be zen like and be content with one used plane and radio for under $200, and maintain that for easily a year or more.

Last edited by J330; 12-31-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:51 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's a hobby, not a toy. Golf costs more. So does hunting and fishing if you take them seriously. Plenty of guys pay $1000 for sports tickets. Plenty more spend thousands per year on drinking. I have a friend at church who owns a $4000 bicycle, and is saving for a $15,000 one. Hobbies cost money and take time.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:35 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

When you get it home, hide the receipt. That way there's no evidence that can be used against you.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:22 AM
DriveForFun

Fortunately, my years of guitar gearhoarding (remove the "d" for proper term) have prepped me well for the RC bug...

"What this? No that's just a new body shell! Had that for years!"
"Those packages are all cheap spare parts from China"

...and as a last resort......."Hey i'm not out drinking all night messing around at least!"

But in all seriousness, my son (who is 4) and I have a BLAST doing RC together - we are outside, having fun, and bonding. That's worth a $300 RC here and there....
Old 06-28-2017, 11:26 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

gentlemen, the last time your wife went shopping and she showed you what she bought. remember how your eyes glazed over and you started to slump over as you fell asleep. she then chided you. do you remember that!

news flash---------
she looks at airplanes the same way!
so getting planes in the house is just a matter of proper seasoning. first one I brought down from the attic I took out into the living room where she was watching her show.

she says; new airplane?
no, I brought this down from the attic.
she says: I don't remember that one
I open the box and show her the wing by holding it in front of the TV (just like she does when showing me her new cloths).
she pushes it aside.
you say: what do I have to do to get you to take an interest in what I like tearfully if you can.

she will realize she has been had and let you show her the entire plane and repeat "that's nice dear" over and over.
live it up, make her pay! go into great detail till her eyes glaze over and her head starts to nod from sleep.
then thank her for taking an interest in your hobby.

next time you come in with an airplane and you hear " is that new"
reply "just took it down from the attic" and listen

what do you here?

silence
nothing
Hmmm
wonder why?

Joe