Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Humor
Reload this Page >

NEW Onboard Glow Driver!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

NEW Onboard Glow Driver!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Onboard Glow Driver!

While doing a "re-maiden" on my VF Edge 540, I proceded to start the motor as usual. I began by attaching the glow starter to the plug and then a quick bump with the electric starter saw the Saito 120 roar to life and ease in to a classic putt-putt idle. After a decent vertical test, the plane was set on the runway and a beautiful takeoff followed. The flight was very fun and many extreme maneuvers were attempted at high altitude. I was very pleased at the way the Saito 120, being, mounted inverted was performing so reliably. Upon landing, one of my flying buddies noticed I had left the glow starter attaced to the glow plug throughout the entire 10 minute flight. And all this time I have been recking my brain on how to build an onboard glow.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: NEW Onboard Glow Driver!

HAHAHAHAHA! That's hilarious! I'm amazed that it hung on for the whole flight. I could see if it was a scale plane just doing laps, but for an Edge doing manuevers, that's crazy.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:30 AM
daver29

Been there, Done that, Making T-Shirts!
Not really on the T-Shirts, but wouldn't that be funny!
What kind of Picture would you put on that one?
What would be the slogan...?
Old 01-06-2005, 12:43 AM
J3FAN

now tell the folks just HOW HOT that McDaniel was when you landed !
Old 01-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Primodus

Actually it was attached to the OS-F plug in the engine. Under the plane.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:54 AM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Thats too funny guys. I've been flying RC for many years and always used the corded glow drivers run off a flight box until i purchased a Dave Patrick 330L. Its just to big to maneuver back and forth if the engine stalls. So i went out and bought a new McDaniels glow driver with the built in meter. It wasn't the planes 1st flight but was the 1st time i used a glow driver not attached to my flight box. I have a MDS 2.18 mounted inverted and against popular belief its been a fairly decent engine after i got the bugs worked out , but on this day it was running better then any engine i had ever owned. Well i taxi out and setup into the wind and off it goes without as much as a hiccup. Just as Primodus did, i flew for quite some time and did plenty of hard G maneuvers. I setup to bring her in and as she was coming in i noticed something orange sticking out from under the engine cowl and thought to myself "what could have come loose ?" Then it hit me OMG ITS MY NEW GLOW DRIVER !! I taxied back to my flight box and just stood there watching the most reliable idle of this engines life. I went out and bought a McDaniels On-Board Glow after that.

Live and Learn,
John
Old 01-11-2005, 01:59 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did this recently with the maiden flight of the H-9 Miss America that I was reviewing. The Saito 100 was mounted inverted as per the instructions (And the Scale Exhaust header) so you couldn't see the glow driver from a standing position.

So anyway, I'm about 5 minutes into the maiden flight when I notice something hanging from the nose.

I remember thinking, "What the heck is tha.... HOLY $#1&! "

Old 01-11-2005, 11:44 PM
3D-kid330
My Feedback: (1)

Hilarious! It's really a show when you leave one on a heli and start doing 3D.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Primodus

Makes ya wanna chase after it with a catcher's mitt! Glad to know I aint the only one to send my glow driver for a ride.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:28 AM
johnboyrc

A few members at our field have done this. The funniest one was when one guy did this with his trainer, it was pointed out while he was flying by several who were watching. Boy did he panic, sweat started streaming. He started yelling 'what do I do?' . He didn't calm down much, but he was able to land and retrieve his glow driver without too much trouble. After seeing a few other things similar to this, I think a preflight checklist is a good idea.