Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Humor
Reload this Page >

MY PARENTS THINK I SHOULD QUIT PLAYING WITH KIDDIE TOYS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

MY PARENTS THINK I SHOULD QUIT PLAYING WITH KIDDIE TOYS

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 01:19 AM
SamuraiSoldier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MY PARENTS THINK I SHOULD QUIT PLAYING WITH KIDDIE TOYS

My parents are trying to make me get out of the hobby of R/C because its just for little kidies ............. I'm only 17 , like WHAT THE **** . HE** NO . [sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif] What am I going to do ? They make fun of me and everthing .
Old 04-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Auslide
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MY PARENTS THINK I SHOULD QUIT PLAYING WITH KIDDIE TOYS

This is a Major misconception by adults..

RC Toys are a life time hobby, not a 10 Year Old's thing..
Parents need to nuture their kids into rc or they will take up less creative hobbies and end up bored and out of control and a Bain on society..

My parents have the " Grow up and stop being a child" and I am like " Can a child afford this kind of stuff... NO !"
They soon saw that It is not Just for kids when I made them take me to my first RC drift meet..

Dont listen to them .. RC 4 Ever !

Ask them to take you to a Fly Off or a rc Drift Meet or even an RC Race, they will soon see that RC is Not for Kids..
I am Yet to see a Child Pilot a Ducted Fan Learjet !!

( You can Print This off and Show it to them..)
Old 04-01-2006, 09:13 AM
digregoriod

RC could spawn off into a job. Like RC goto school to become an engineer and design the mechanics or electronics for RC and other cooler autonomous vehicles. I am 31 an still bashing.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:54 AM
redfox435cat

I've been doing some sort of rc since grade school, started with cars. I got into planes in high school. Most of my skills I can trace back to learning the concept or making the concept real to me from my RC experiance. Physics, chemistry, mathematics, basic mechanics and hand eye coordination, aviation though the hand eye thing probably spawned from Nintendo and just made planes that much easier to learn
I did give up the hobby for a couple years during college but now that I've got a career going and even a little money to burn I'm right back at it and can afford the bigger stuff This isn't a kids hobby. The mean age in our flying club is well over 40 with most of the guys well in their 60's. Even the local car track most of the guys are in their late 20 to early 30's. Though I do consider cars kid stuff
Old 04-01-2006, 12:15 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: SamuraiSoldier

My parents are trying to make me get out of the hobby of R/C because its just for little kidies ............. I'm only 17 , like WHAT THE **** . HE** NO . [sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif] What am I going to do ? They make fun of me and everthing .
You know, You should try to show them that kids aren't the only ones that like RC. If they won't listen, I suggest that you listen to them and give it up for a while.(you can never give it up in the mind) Get a sim and do that, but get mostly out of the hobby as if they see that you are trying to do your best for them,(you are under their authority) they might start to be interested in it themselves. Who knows, maybe they will fund the hobby after a while. I know from experience.(I'm 19)

50%
Old 04-01-2006, 01:11 PM
osxpro
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Childish hobby? Heck no, I'm 38 now and suspect that I'll Fly till the day I day! I have about 30K invested in this and intend to spend that much in the next couple of years. I have a career just to support this hobby (Oh, I have a mortgage and a GREAT wife too

Here's the deal with RC'ers. This hobby is a PASSION. People without passion are miserable & empty! Most of the fellows I fly with are the happiest souls you've ever met:
Some are well off and some aren't.
Some are well educated, some aren't.
Some are foreign most are not.
One thing in common brings us together - RC!

Here's another aspect of this hobby that ISN'T childish - Most of us fellows work our BUTTS OFF 5-6 days a week providing for our families. One day a week we go out (in my case 2- weather permitting) and get to forget all the BS associated with work, etc. We fly and hang out with our buddies. The day we fly is the day we get to clear our heads.

'nuff said!
Old 04-01-2006, 03:39 PM
BaronSchwab

As magnat said they will not fully understand the "quality" of RC until they experiance their first meet, competition, or fly in. Persuade them to go to one and they will most likely change their minds. IF not, stick with it. Or you could also show them a vid of the Tuscan Shootout and stress that the winner walks away with THOUSANDS. $$$$$. Oh, also a vid of Top Gun may help them to see that a 10 yearold kid cannot build one of those beauties.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Take your parents to a flying field on a busy day. Not likely to see any "kids" flying.(too bad) Take them to a large organized Car event. A somewhat younger crowd but still more adults than kids. Personally, I couldn't even get started in this stuff until I had a car and a job. I'm 32 now and they'll probably need to pry the Tx from my cold dead fingers.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:12 PM
TNTJake

Heck!
These are NOT kiddy toys.You should see what happens when a KID plays with one of these "kiddy toys".
Old 04-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Pa-18cub150

Kiddy toys my but!! I know that some people on the out side of the hobby may think so but they are greatly mistaken.

I am 38 years old and was introduced in to R/C AC by a 42-year-old friend who just got into the hobby last spring.

This was something I had wonted to try when I was twelve years old but the price was always out side of my grasp. Honestly it still is!

Some of my friends in the hobby think I should sell off my gun collection or my motorcycle to feed the R/C addiction. This will not happen.

I have met guys who have lost wives and businesses because of this hobby, so keep in mind that you must use good judgment and keep the hobby in its place. Balance is the key.

Honestly I am a little envious of you at having the opportunity to participate at such an early age. I don’t think at 17 I would have had the attention span that this hobby requires.

By the way another good video to show your folks would be War Birds over the Rockies.

Good luck
Old 04-03-2006, 09:04 AM
depronator

Ask your parents: "should i quit R/C and begin with drugs?"
Is hard but most effective
If you survive it, you are a free man
Old 04-03-2006, 09:10 AM
BaronSchwab

"Hey mom can I do drugs instead?" [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 04-03-2006, 09:55 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Model Aviation is one of the best hobbies for young people. The Air Force is actively recruiting RC pilots for their UAV programs. That's a prime example of how a hobby such as RC can lead to a very promising career. The AMA offers a scholarship program for RC enthusiasts to better their education.
Navmar is currently hiring any RC pilot with at least 1yr experience for piloting UAV's and they pay $35,000 a year to do it. That's where these "toys" can lead you.

Your parents just need a little education about our hobby.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm 53 and been messing around in this hobby/sport for over 30 years. My son started racing trucks and winning trophies at age 6. My wife has also raced trucks and boats. Doing this as a family activity is better than a lot of things that you could be involved in. I've seen too many kids that use the Hobby Shops racetrack asa dumping ground while they're out shopping, playing golf or getting drunk.
Grow up? No thanks.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Jimmbbo

ORIGINAL: SamuraiSoldier

My parents are trying to make me get out of the hobby of R/C because its just for little kidies ............. I'm only 17 , like WHAT THE **** . HE** NO . What am I going to do ? They make fun of me and everthing .
It's too bad your parents don't see the benefits of RC modeling I have been making flying models off and on since the '60s - Many of the things I learned building models led in part to my career as an airline pilot and getting an Airframe and Powerplant mechanics' license... And guess what... I still love to build and fly models!!

If they are worried about the money, I guess you could be doing drugs and alcohol or chasing girls (very expensive hobbies, BTW )

If they are worried that it's a kid's hobby, they should go to a flying field and see that there are mostly adults involved, including a number of very seasoned individuals...

The best case is that you can convince them it's a useful, constructive, interesting hobby that attracts folks of all ages, and they will decide to support your choice.

The worst case is you gotta do what they say as long as you are their responsiblity, but as soon as you're on your own, you can do what you want...

Hang in there!

Jim
Old 04-03-2006, 07:07 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Another benefit of RC planes(especially building tham[not ARFs]) is if you want to join the military, you will get a better mechanical score on the ASVAB.(higher scores on the other parts also, but it really shows there) I do know this from experience also.

50%
Old 04-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Auslide
Banned

It is 100% True..

I proposed the " Do you want me to become a Druggie and spend the rest of my life as a lounge Lizard?"
My parents , whilst they wont sponsor my Hobby, Wont Stop me from it either..
Old 04-03-2006, 11:09 PM
JAkridge

Are you sure they want you to quit because they think it's a kiddy thing? or do they want you to quit because it's "EXPENSIVE" $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I'm 50 now and I've been doing it since I was 8. My Mom use to keep me in kits to build so I wouldn't go astray. Model building of any kind is one of the best ways to keep young kids occupied.
Take them to one of the larger IMAC / Warbird / Float Fly meets in your area and let them see for them selfs. This is no kiddy hobby. Almost every guy at work will see one of my plane on my desktop wallpaper and say... WOW cool toy plane. You have to have "been there done that" to really know what it's all about.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:35 AM
idajack

As far as this being a kid's hobby I say great I turned 35 last friday and bought myself my first rc car ever as a present to myself. My wife thought it was a childish thing to do but when she saw the fun my two kids and nephew had playing all day sat and sunday with me she turned supportive, I say try to get your dad or mom to join in with you and enjoy the youthfull fun and quit being old fuddy duddy types. I have a wish list at least a couple thousand dollars long and I have been playing less thn a week.
show me a kid who can afford this hobby and I will show you one lucky and slightly spoiled child.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:54 AM
PerfectH

When I told my cousin that I bought my first RC Airplane, his reaction was "Are you fricken stupid? You bought a toy for $400?!"

Then when he actually saw it and watched me fly it, his new reaction was "Whoa!"

[8D]

Some people are just quick to criticize. Don't listen to ignorant people.

EDIT: Another thing is the expense which has already been talked about. I find that if you can afford this hobby as well as your bills, whats the problem? I'm 18, my parents would not stop me. In fact, my parents were sceptical at first, now I think they are some what interested, but of course my father doesn't want it to show.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:53 PM
AQ500

My parents did the same thing. They didn't like me playing with those expensive "toys" and let me know multiple times how they felt about it. Now after a number of years they saw the light and are now supportive. My little brother is now an avid flyer.

RC can be a career. During college I worked at a hobby shop. I built planes for customers and taught flying lessons. There was enough money there to make it a career, but I had higher goals. I also got burned out. Hobbies turned into careers can be a bad thing.

Well, those "toys" motivated me to go into engineering. I went to school with kids that had never touched a screw driver and they had a real tough time. Those who played with these "toys" were able to understand complicated things easier. Also building model planes from plans lets you see 3D from a 2D set of plans. You have an easier time designing things because you can think of better ways to put things together and how to make them work. Basically you have a better understanding on how things go together and work.

I got my degree and a good job. I now manage a structural design office and can get my PE license this year. I may go and work on my masters or get another bachelors in a related field that will help out my career. I know that it was mostly due to model airplanes, cars, and choppers.

The funny thing is I keep hearing the same thing from my parents even though I moved out years ago and have my own place. That is just the way some parents are. But now it is about the boat, snowmobile, dirt bike, and 4 wheeler (it would be hard to pay me enough to move from here). I still fly the planes, just not as often. At last count I am up to 15 flyable in my basement.

Just tell your parents it could get a lot worse. My mom freaks out when we go up into the mountains when there is a "moderate" avalanche forecast. They even went out and bought avalanche beacons for all of us. They don't worry at all when we go flying.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Jimmbbo

FWIW, went to the LHS tonight... There were about 9 folks shopping... Average age? about 38....

Cheers!

Jim
Old 04-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Ashtn88

I'm 17, and im currently designing and building my own planes, and it has inspired me for my majors in college. Mechanical and Aerospace engineering. my mom doesnt mind, and thinks that building planes will help me get a better understanding of how they work, and i only get a funny look when i need her to order something online.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:07 PM
osxpro
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL! Yep, I was one of those 38 year olds in my LHS this eveing! Picking up parts for my Scratch built Cherokee.
Those $$$ went to my LHS, not the beer joint, nudie bar, or other "Adult" activety. As american as Baseball, hotdogs,apple pie and chevrolet... Did I just show my age again on that last one?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Pa-18cub150

Crap that’s where my budget for the shakers went [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.