Community
Search
Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

Beware of beware posts

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of beware posts

After reading all of the horror stories about the danger of model building equipment and materials I just went out and invested a ton of money in safety equipment.
This morning I suited up and went into my building area.

My airhose to my dust mask snagged a fuselage standing against the wall causing it to fall sideways. As I grabbed at the falling fuselage my steel toed shoe kicked two banna plugs over on one of my chargers breaking them off.

After repairing the damage to the charger I sat down and started sanding on a cowl using a sanding drum in my Dremmel tool. Everything was working well until my haz mat suit brushed the table causing a brand new Exacto #11 blade complete with handle to roll from the bench. As I dropped the cowl and grabbed for the falling knife I knocked over a bottle of CA which went un-noticed while I watched the #11 blade make a neat slice in the leg of my haz mat suit. It did not gash my leg however as the kevlar chainsaw leggings earned their price.
After Duct taping my haz mat suit I sat down and resumed sanding. Not realizing that I was sitting on my airsupply hose to my safety helmet and airmask combo, I apparently blacked out and from what I can tell, fell forward into the CA puddle while dropping the running dremmel tool in my lap.

The heat from the stalled Dremmel tool must have brought me around as I could not smell the smoke because of my mask and safety glass combo. However I deduced this by feel as my head was held down by my mask which was now firmly bonded in the CA puddle.

It has taking me a while to type this as I am still groggy from having my airsupply cut off.

Tomorrow I am going out to buy a new Dremmel tool and go back to my old ways. Safety is just too dangerous for me.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:12 PM
bla bla

Default RE: Beware of beware posts

Thanks for giving us all the heads-up.
You can never be to carefull.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:16 PM
rwright142

After reading the safety posts, I don’t feel so silly, so here is what I experienced last week:

I was trying to remove the old, worn, sandpaper from my sanding block when my hand slipped and I ended up punching myself in the nose. Sometime during the flailing of my arms I bumped the workbench causing an Exacto knife to start rolling towards the edge of the table. The pain was excruciating and when I grabbed my nose I let go of the sanding block. The block bounced onto the Exacto knife just as it was about to fall off of the table, sending it airborne. As I was scrambling to avoid the knife flying through the air, the sanding block landed on my foot. The pain caused me to bend over to rub my bruised food. Unfortunately, I had forgotten about the flying Exacto which landed firmly in my rear.
Screeching from the pain, I leapt to my feet and removed the knife while still in midair. It was at this point I realized that the sudden movement from my chair caused me to lose my balance. I tried to catch myself but the lunge forward was too much. I reach out with my arms to brace my fall, but one hand landed on my trim iron. Luckily it was turned off. There was so much saw dust on the table that my left hand could not get a firm hold onto the table, so I fell forward onto an open bottle of CA, spraying my face with it. As I was reeling from the pain, and the bouncing off of the workbench, I forgot about the CA and sawdust on my face. As I went screaming into the house to have my wife drive me to the hospital, I tripped on some blue masking tape and fell onto my dog. He attacked me, not recognizing his master’s face underneath the sawdust. As he lunged for me, he caused me to fall onto a fuselage breaking it into many pieces. Luckily there was a plugged in Dremel close by, so I turned it on and was using it to defend myself when I went further than the power cord would reach. When “killer†heard the Dremel turn off, he restarted his vicious attack on his perceived intruder.
I was able to avoid his fangs long enough to wipe some of the CA and sawdust from my face. Luckily, it was enough for him to recognize me. Unfortunately I left my hand on my face too long, so now the emergency room would also have to debond my hand from my face, stitch up my ar$e, and cast my broken foot.

That HazMat suit sounds like a good idea...

Old 12-11-2006, 03:39 PM
bla bla

You see, thats why we have these here safety threads.
I used to think that the War Bird Boys were a rough and tough hardy bunch of lads that laughed in the face of danger and waved their private parts at the darked shadow of peril!
How wrong I was.

Even the Guys in the Scale forum have become all new-age, caring and socially aware.
The "It's dangerous to fly alone" thread has brought up a plethora of good point that'll aid safety and I guess, soon find there way into many club rules.
Yee Gods!
Old 12-11-2006, 04:16 PM
drone pilot

Wow! RWright and Gremlin Castle ought to get together and work as a team. Now I know why I don't build anymore, too dangerous.......
Old 12-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Gremlin Castle

If you think that building is a challange you should try flying by yourself and being attacked by multiple personalities.

ORIGINAL: drone pilot

Wow! RWright and Gremlin Castle ought to get together and work as a team. Now I know why I don't build anymore, too dangerous.......
Old 12-11-2006, 04:40 PM
drone pilot

I get along with most of the others. There is one voice though........
Old 12-11-2006, 05:20 PM
jsevey

nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!
Old 12-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tsk. Humor in the Warbirds section. I'm sure you'll get a stern lecture!

Great stories!

Dave Olson
Old 12-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Reminds me of the preacher who went top visit a parishioner who had beeninjured in an auto accident. He was in a full body cast except for one arm. Shortly after the preacher arrived and said a prayer, the patient began to flail his one free arm around wildly and making writing motions. the preacher asked if the patient waned to write something and he grunted "Unhuh". so the preacher gave him a pad and pencil. the patient began writing and handed the note to the preahcer. About this time all the alrmas went off and the Code team came rushing in, but the patient was dead. the doc asked if he had said or done anything before he died. The preacher said "Well, yes he wrote this note." Then he read it, "Get off my air hose you idiot!"
Walt
Old 12-11-2006, 07:16 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Where you guys are going wrong is supervision!

I only work in a large shop now, I have hired a prison guard that used to work on chain gang supervision. When I want to use the dremel I say loudly "Can I use the dremel boss?", From up on his horse he looks around and says "use the dremel" When I am done I say "turnin off the dremel boss" If everything looks cool, he says "Turn off the dremel"

When I start slowing down and doing more looking than working he moves up close with the horse and I get back to work. That shotgun butt is hard!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:48 PM
drone pilot

Sounds like you figured out that "failure to communicate" thing. Gremlin Castle and I have our own "personal" guides.... Speaking of supervision, how long will the moderator let this go on??????
Old 12-11-2006, 08:08 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This site really ticks me off
I write one little true story about being attacked by blue masking tape and ross give us his true story of the haz mat suit(which by the way guys we wear a haz mat suit when he flies)
Then Rwright 142 explains what i am also sure is a true story
But I have my doubt about Rwright 142 after reading his story his identifier doesnt say he is from Texas
so
I think he is lying
Stuff like that usually only happens in Texas
If he keeps it up we will make him an honory texan if he lives long enough
Old 12-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

I am sure the moderator, (whoever it is) knows that Warbird Officiandos, (such as ourselves) are the biggest Smart Asses in the field. I was once pronounced "King of the Smart Asses". I must admit I kinda got this ball rolling while poking some fun at my friend Timothy Thompson. Hey, that's why we build Warbirds into the late night hours and fly on Sunday mornings. I'll cut this short, as I have to make some struts for my L-4 Grass Hopper. There is something I wanted to mention about the Hazard of getting your fingers stuck together with Gorilla Glue.....Later.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:21 PM
eagledancer

kinda like when i was attacked by a electric airplane, engine just started on its own i didnt even have the glow plug connector on it. came right off the bench at me and chased me around the shop. decided right then and there NO MORE ELECTRIC indoor planes for me. only those safe planes that dont have room to fly in my shop!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:57 AM
Gremlin Castle

Lawrence don't you find that full body armor cumbersome? If you would just stand behind me when I am flying you wouldn't have that problem. Seeing your own airplane might be a factor but hey whats a crash compared to ones safety and comfort.
I can't endorse the hazmat suit because the airhose gets caught on too many things plus it makes embarassing noises when the hose disconnects from the suit.
ORIGINAL: hellcat56

This site really ticks me off
I write one little true story about being attacked by blue masking tape and ross give us his true story of the haz mat suit(which by the way guys we wear a haz mat suit when he flies)
Then Rwright 142 explains what i am also sure is a true story
But I have my doubt about Rwright 142 after reading his story his identifier doesnt say he is from Texas
so
I think he is lying
Stuff like that usually only happens in Texas
If he keeps it up we will make him an honory texan if he lives long enough