Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Humor
Reload this Page >

Cheapest RC Pilot Out There

Community
Search
Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

Cheapest RC Pilot Out There

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:02 PM
BOB MOORE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Cheapest RC Pilot Out There

I know a guy who reuses toilet paper
Old 02-10-2010, 06:04 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BOB MOORE

I know a guy who reuses toilet paper
I would suggest that fellow has other problems other then just being cheap.LOL
Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 PM
chunkyplunker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Spring is coming... I would like everyone to keep their eyes pealed for that next level of ''recycling'' and report back. Oh the DA-50 marking was classic... kudos

I will be watching a particular pilot, cuz I know I can depend on him for a good laugh. Heck, I dig reusable stuff out of my own untimely deaths, but there is a limit to how far I will go. I encourage you to proceed without limits.

Has anyone built an aircraft out of free materials like the coffee stirrers at Starbucks? Ooops wrong crowd... you guys would never buy a $7.00 latte. How many guys grab the catchup cups at Mickey Ds for epoxy? I know you cheep b....ds eat there.

.Hey I hadn't thought of using those ketchup cups for that. Thanks’ for the tip.
Come-on I know you done it, something like that didn't just come out'a the blue
Old 02-11-2010, 04:47 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

As a mere lad, one of me Polish school mates used to wear socks one day on one side and then the next on the other side...
kinda like the toilet paper issue !!! or was that tissue?
We always thought "BonCabbage" practiced the sock trick with underwear too, but no one was willing to pursue the issue.

Yeah, I think the Micky-D's plastic epoxy stirring containers are just dandy.... don't know why anyone would buy them in the LHS.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:09 AM
on_your_six

I have a new nomination for cheapest pilot alive and he is just getting started.

Electric starter, glow stick, rubber bands, fuel.... don't need'em... cause I can borrow them from the guys...

So this guy digs a pathetic looking trainer out of the basement... built pre-mastadon era (we confirmed that with droppings carbon dated from inside the fuse)... and he is retiring so he needs a hobby... Oh what luck we have to find him at our doorstep. Oh happy day!

So he thinks two rubber bands is enough... off we go begging, Batteries have Thomas A. Edison signature... but darned if they don't hold a charge from MY charger and MY 12 volt battery... Fuel tubing leaks so guess what... off we go begging again. Guys are starting to say just take the whole darn kit... help yourself (you are going to get it anyway)...

Push, tug, pull... darn all the surfaces hold and the servos that were made in the Ming Dynasty are working... imagine that I can't get mine made last year to work. Off we go into the wild blue yonder... I was amazed... flat spotted foam wheels add to realism on the takeoff roll.

We are flying.... shoot... guess these old birds do quack. Up and down, nothing destroyed .... wait a week and we are flying it on Sunday morn in front of vulture's row... He has played with all the trims so we are off on a maiden flight of venture again... easy, get it trimmed for level flight... oooops.... there goes the left wing.... just eviscerates into balsa (pixy) dust. Right wing in place, lawn dart in progress... let's see if I can get the old girl into a knife edge and land her like that "human pilot" on youtube... Nope, this old girl is a air to ground seeking missile with gopher hole on it's mind... it planted itself almost vertical.... looked like one of those crosses on the side of the road... no use praying for this one... she's a gonner.

Now that is what I call Karma! Cheep SOB.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey On your six, I almost fell of my chair laughing,,,,,you've made my day,,,,,,hey tell me, I always wanted a nice pair ofgenuine Ming Dysnasty pocelain servo's,,,,, did any survive?

Cheers mate
Old 05-01-2010, 08:57 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

you know that you can turn a mixing cup upside down and use the bottom to mix glue as well ! Its just wasteful not to !

That is when you aren't using your tower hobby annual catalog ..that you turn into four glue mixing disposable sheet dispensers.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:45 AM
on_your_six

It just does not stop.... The first nominee for Cheapest RC Flier alive just found a $40 - 100inch wing-span plane (spent $50 in gas to get)... Nothing is too good for this plane so he will put a 0.46 engine on it. "should be enough power". I cannot wait to see this Frankensteinian plane of the "future", should be a good one. It has third generation control horns.... defined that means they were pulled out of one wreck installed in a second plane and pulled out of that wreck and put into this one. The plastic is getting thin enough to read the New York Time through them, but you know those new fangeled modern poly-mers, dee be a-might strong.

Fact is that the local hobby shop is emptying the field's trash cans (at night) now just to keep the old farts from picking the wrecks clean.... definition: old fart- anyone exactly one minute older than me, so it is a sliding scale.

Not to be detoured, nominee #2 has had a good summer of borrow/beg. Never did find that starter in the basement... he is buying fuel, but nothing else we can see. Has higher priorities in life, can't wait until he wants to fly every day after he retires (and retires does not mean buying new tires for the car, but I digress). Oh forgot, he did buy a chicken stick, but you know how hard some of those engines are to start hand flipping (and he really thought I said "chicken fingers" as he was hungry). Oh what a sad day when he ran over his field box, just about laughed myself into the asylum.

Coming on strong is nominee #3 with his own recovered, repurposed Rockwellinian flight attempt. Guy is getting creative and reusing Balsa. We may be closing in on a winner here... and then we have another guy advertising for donations... hey you have to give them the creds for using their internet connection and free forums.

Damn, I had not thought of turning the free McDonalds catsup pots over and using the bottoms for mixing epoxy... good one. I had always been tilting the cups and putting a waste piece of balsa in it so I could pull the dry solid epoxy out and reuse... I have been experimenting with Pam as an epoxy release agent (but she is getting tired of my antics). [8D]

So from the land of cheap, I will sign off now... but just know, I am watching your back for new extreme cheap behavior. Don't stop, just know, I am watching. I always get a good chuckle.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 PM
powered-by-os

I confess, I have won the ugly airplane contest on more than one occasion. I can't stand to see bits of hardware are a mostly assembled wing go to waste. Oddly enough I have had several offers from people at the field wanting to buy thier planes back after I had bashed them with 3-4 other planes and made something impressive. I try to reuse monokote from them as well, I had one with every shade of monokote that was the real winner of the bunch. It was a kadet senior top wing, a hobbico trainer bottom wing, canopy off a corsair, rudder from a wanderer, elevator form a tiger 60, and the fuse was a bit of a big stick 60 and the cowling off of a piper cub. It was a kite with a os 60 fp. I have found many of my crashes have just resulted in a "new" airplane.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:38 PM
foodstick

years ago I tried to start a competition on a thread.. Who could build the most frankenstein airplane out of as many different planes as possible. I even thought possibly a points chart could be drawn up for bonus engineering when the right and left wings were off of different planes.. fuselages that were one thing up front, and another in back etc !!!

Sure the test flights would need to be done away from the flightline on slow days....
But am I the only one that would get a kick out of such a running competition online?

I don't mean pure garbage thrown together.. just really odd pieces put together with some attempt at success, not crashes...
Old 03-16-2011, 02:09 PM
raptureboy

Wow this thread is too funny. [sm=lol.gif]I like to save all my old toothbrushes for cleaning engines, and I save all the lids from plastic deli and butter containers to mix epoxy on. I'm inspired by this frankenplane thing to take a Mustang wing I have and some gutter pipe and coroplast and ....... It might be a cool event to have at the field some time. Keep this going. We have some old Pa Dutch guys at our field who are good candidates.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:33 PM
on_your_six

OK guys, we are getting into the spring flying season once more... I was pleasantly surprised to see this thread pop again. I have been making notes on a lot of you and investigating an entirely new level of cheep RC flier.

I have yet to see my usual suspects hanging out on the island in the street begging for nitro, but close to it. Why buy, when you can beg? Folks we need all those designated extreme cheep investigating agents to step forward and divulge your sworn secrets. You can tell on your buddy, I am sure he is too cheap to have an internet connection or a mobile device to use the free wi-fi at McDonalds... so don't worry about him reading about his habits here.

Maybe we can have a Frankenplane competition here this year... the worst of the worst, but it has to fly SAFELY... what about that???

How the heck do you reuse the covering? Do you have to iron it flat? If you keep ironing the monocote, does it disappear?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:42 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: osxpro

I'm much like the poster above who will scrounge the barrel for parts. I can absolutely afford the parts but on a ''bad day'' I can reap $30-40.00 worth of parts from those fellas who'd rather toss them out. I have a tackle box (or portable hobby shop) that has close to $500.00-$600.00 worth of parts in it. It took me 10 years to build that arsenal but I rarely have to by parts when I build a kit... And most of these parts are SIG and other high dollar parts!!!!! I agree with the posted above that despite my ability to afford whatever parts I need - Why pay cash when you can spend 15 minutes getting it for free? Now I pride myself on getting these parts but we do have one vulture in particular who will not even wait for someone to trash the plane. As soon as a plane hits the ground he'll say, ''You want any of that''? At least I have the courtesy to wait until the plane hits the bin!

I too have a "MAGIC BOX" from years of saving STUFF. The other guys often ask for parts or send the new guy over for a part. It got nicked named THE MAGIC BOX cuz it usually has what is needed.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

ALPHA BAT
Ok, so I was given a leftover Alpha trainer wing after someone's crash. Just for kicks I bought two of the Walmart big fat red plastic bats. added a piece of dollar store bat handle to one to get the tail length I needed and used just the fat part of one for a cowl. Bolted the yardstick servo rails and alum landing gear to a cutting board motor mount and zip tied the whole thing together with some coroplast tail feathers. Put an OLD Fox 40 up front. I built it using all the specs from a Goldberg Eagle II. Damn thing flew just fine and got plenty of laughs It was fun to fly cuz I didn't care if it crashed.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 AM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: OzMo

ALPHA BAT
Ok, so I was given a leftover Alpha trainer wing after someone's crash. Just for kicks I bought two of the Walmart big fat red plastic bats. added a piece of dollar store bat handle to one to get the tail length I needed and used just the fat part of one for a cowl. Bolted the yardstick servo rails and alum landing gear to a cutting board motor mount and zip tied the whole thing together with some coroplast tail feathers. Put an OLD Fox 40 up front. I built it using all the specs from a Goldberg Eagle II. Damn thing flew just fine and got plenty of laughs It was fun to fly cuz I didn't care if it crashed.
...Now this I have to see!
Old 05-10-2011, 05:29 PM
on_your_six

Diagrams, we need diagrams.... scale drawings and 3D photos. Document this... we are trying to establish a hall of fame (or is that flame?)

If you cannot provide the documentation... then a milk dud will do!

ALPHA BAT
Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 PM
tomtiegs

I have a tower hobbies 40 that has so much epoxy on it. That it should  be call an the brand name of the epoxy not Tower 40.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:55 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Cheapskates make me think of bums so...

Ever go to a major fly in and then notice strange scratches on your flight box or trailer?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25220.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1611464  
Old 07-11-2011, 06:08 AM
IneptCorpse

That sounds very cool and fun to try...now um hey did you wreck yours yet? Could I borrow that fox 40?..I think my nephew has a bat in his toy box....hmm maybe I can check the little league field for parts...lol

ALPHA BAT
Old 07-11-2011, 06:49 AM
foodstick

Amish, your little cartoon was pretty dang funny, way off the path of what I expected on this thread..

its just completely out of the ordinary ! hahaha
Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 PM
shellibranch

This thread is very humorous.  People do the Glue, Restore...because of limited pocket money or just for fun. Though it read funny, it's also resourceful. As someone said before, do it not for money, just for fun.
Especially, after crashing many times , the ability of returning it to the origin is really incredible. Lol.
My mini heli is not so lucky. It was very cool before it crashed into groud. & it only took 60 seconds. I kid you not.
let my show you my mini heli. Look :P cool?
Digital Proportional R/C Coaxial Helicopter with LED Lights

Old 09-03-2011, 04:49 PM
on_your_six

Son you ain't been around until you find a person so cheap they won't let you sit on the shady side of them because they want to sell the shade they cast.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:39 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

LOL that's a good one.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Where the heck are you guys flying that people leave a wreck in the trash??!!!?!?!?! I may install a trash can at our field just to get in on this trend, lol.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:00 AM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The trash can theory is a good one.....I built a few planes from the trash can and even had one published in a major r/c magazine.....made a few bucks there too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.