Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Humor
Reload this Page >

getting back into 1/10 offroad racing

Community
Search
Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

getting back into 1/10 offroad racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:09 AM
mbrunk33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting back into 1/10 offroad racing

here recently i purchased a losi xxxnt at a very reasonable price and have been toying with it, also looking at the idea of getting back into racing, i quit racing in 1994 when me and my family moved back to missouri from california, problem here is there are very few tracks and i have to drive long distances to go to the nearest hobby store, i have alot of interest from people here to open a track in this town i live in now, i am wondering since the sport has changed so much since i last raced what are the competitive cars and trucks now days, what kind of setup is most people running, when i quit the sport i was running a team losi jrxpro with a novak t-4 esc and novak micro receiver with a b&r bullet motor, all of which was top shelf stuff at that time which by the way i still have, but the brushless systems now throw me along with the lipo batterys i will be the first to admit im totally lost on this stuff, i dont understand the windings of the motors and the cells of the lipo packs, you have to remmember when i was racing it was 27 turn stock motors with no more then 1500 scr NiCd, run times were limited to around 4 min mains any more then that you didnt finish the race, mod motors were limitless and the hottest mod motor of the time was a 13t triple from trinity which had awesome top end and a very powerfull punch for low end torque, forgive me for my ignorence of todays technology, but im doing my best, any and all help is appreciated, thank you.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:54 PM
mrsmartjohnson

Default RE: getting back into 1/10 offroad racing

Cool, ggod time to get back in rc's. I just purchased a Losi Ten-T for $469 shipped to my door. if your comparing to your xxxnt, there is no comparison. it has remote start (true remote start from the radio controller) it also has telemetry that tells you speed, engine temp, etc right on digital display of radio controller. the 3.4 cc motor is Kickass and screams and is super easy to tune. many people have wondered how well the remote start would hold up, well let me tell you it's awesome and starts every time Losi did thier homework and only used the best parts available. most of the truggy was designed around their award winning eight-t 1/8 scale except comes with better radio and and remote start for less money than you could build a quality roller with. I give mine a A++ 10 out of 10 so far with 8 tanks of fuel thru it.. Here is Losi's Ten-T info: http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB0126

Also radio Control Car Action magazine just did a full review in their feb 2010 issue and gave it a all thumbs up and excellent review and several members here have bought one lately and reporting the same great compliments about it. So for a first Rc car in a while you can't beat it!!

ORIGINAL: mbrunk33

here recently i purchased a losi xxxnt at a very reasonable price and have been toying with it, also looking at the idea of getting back into racing, i quit racing in 1994 when me and my family moved back to missouri from california, problem here is there are very few tracks and i have to drive long distances to go to the nearest hobby store, i have alot of interest from people here to open a track in this town i live in now, i am wondering since the sport has changed so much since i last raced what are the competitive cars and trucks now days, what kind of setup is most people running, when i quit the sport i was running a team losi jrxpro with a novak t-4 esc and novak micro receiver with a b&r bullet motor, all of which was top shelf stuff at that time which by the way i still have, but the brushless systems now throw me along with the lipo batterys i will be the first to admit im totally lost on this stuff, i dont understand the windings of the motors and the cells of the lipo packs, you have to remmember when i was racing it was 27 turn stock motors with no more then 1500 scr NiCd, run times were limited to around 4 min mains any more then that you didnt finish the race, mod motors were limitless and the hottest mod motor of the time was a 13t triple from trinity which had awesome top end and a very powerfull punch for low end torque, forgive me for my ignorence of todays technology, but im doing my best, any and all help is appreciated, thank you.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:03 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I never raced myself, but we used to have several tracks scattered through central Iowa, some of them ran indoors and out. Sure made the winter go faster...
Old 03-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Ardusv

You will really want to look at the ROAR racing specifics. You are limited to what you can run in a ROAR race and it really keeps it a driver's race and not a "Who has the fastest car" race. As far as the Lipo's you will hear a lot of differing opinions on them. I use NiMH batteries when I am bashing and racing friends. When I get to a real race I use my Lipo's. Run two packs with 2400 milli amp hours. This gives me the much needed speed and low end punch to get off the line. you are still looking at 4-5 minute heats with electric in most races I have been to. This keeps you from losing power and speed as you get further into the race.
Nitro; on the other hand, I have been in 45 minute mains with several pit stops. This greatly increases a good driver's potential to win after a bad start. If you are serious about racing check out the ROAR guidelines. They have a great program that has been around for years. If you just want to build a fast car and build a track and run your own races, and possibly point races like we are going to here in Port Arthur Texas. Feel free to make your own rules. But the most important thing is to experiment. I cans et up a car for myself and another identical and my friends can not keep up with me. If they use a little less power with a lower gear ratio they can miraculously keep up with me. It is not only the car but the driver and the conditions of the track.