RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Humor (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-humor-177/)
-   -   need help protecting plans (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-humor-177/11628396-need-help-protecting-plans.html)

Big Oakden 04-07-2016 07:51 PM

need help protecting plans

Guys, I'm sick of using wax paper to cover my plans while building.
When I used to build back in 1970, my dad had these clear sheets of acrylic or acetate that the epoxy wouldn't stick to.
Anybody using acetate or a thin sheet of polycarbonate?
Using CA's now, I need something other than wax paper, I'm tired of it sticking to my plane as I am building.

As always, I always appreciate your inputs.

Dave.

aspeed 04-17-2016 05:27 PM

The backing of Monokote is an old standby. Maybe parchment paper if you can see through it? I don't know, no one else was answering for you.

pilotdb09 06-30-2017 04:58 PM

Protecting plans

I went to Hobby Lobby (any store that sells roll goods fabrics) found three thicknesses of clear vinyl in 5' widths, sold by the running yard (or foot) very inexpensive and CA does not stick. I used the medium thickness. Works like a charm! Also, it lays flatter without wrinkles on your plans.

CJRuss 04-11-2022 11:23 AM

A bit late but years ago I bought a roll of vapor barrier from the local lumber yard and have been protecting my plans with it ever since. CA and epoxy pull off easily. If the plastic gets too messy or accidentally cut just cut off a replacement piece and toss out the used one. I have built atleast one large scale A/C a year plus many repairs and am still on the original roll. Make sure you get a roll of the heaviest guage you can find as it does come in several weights and the lighter ones won't work as well.

rgburrill 04-15-2022 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by CJRuss (Post 12723450)
A bit late but years ago I bought a roll of vapor barrier from the local lumber yard and have been protecting my plans with it ever since. CA and epoxy pull off easily. If the plastic gets too messy or accidentally cut just cut off a replacement piece and toss out the used one. I have built atleast one large scale A/C a year plus many repairs and am still on the original roll. Make sure you get a roll of the heaviest guage you can find as it does come in several weights and the lighter ones won't work as well.

Materials used as vapor retarders:
  • Elastomeric coatings can provide a vapor barrier and water proofing with permeability ratings of .016 perm rating with 10 mils/min. of coating and can be applied on interior or exterior surfaces.
  • Aluminum foil, 0.05 US perm (2.9 SI perm).
  • Paper-backed aluminum.
  • Asphalt or coal tar pitch, typically hot-applied to concrete roof decks along with reinforcement felts.
  • Polyethylene plastic sheet, 4 or 6 thou (0.10 or 0.15 mm), 0.03 US perm (1.7 SI perm).
  • Advanced Polyethylene vapor retarders that pass the ASTM E 1745 standard tests ≤0.3 US perm (17 SI perm).
  • Asphalt-coated kraft paper, often attached to one side of fiberglass batts, 0.40 US perm (22 SI perm).
  • Metallized film
  • Vapor retarder paints (for the air-tight drywall system, for retrofits where finished walls and ceilings will not be replaced, or for dry basements: can break down over time due to being chemically based).
  • Extruded polystyrene or foil-faced foam board insulation.
  • Exterior grade plywood, 0.70 US perm (40 SI perm).
  • Most sheet type monolithic roofing membranes.
  • Glass and metal sheets (such as in doors and windows)
So what do you mean by "vapor barrier"?

CJRuss 04-15-2022 05:08 AM

Are you for real? It's use in building construction. Usually 10ftx100ft rolls of heavy guage vinyl or plastic. Try google rather than show how rude you are.
read post #3

rgburrill 04-17-2022 04:28 AM

I tried a search and that's what I found. Since I am not in "building construction" I had never heard the term. Asking what someone means is not rude, it's a question.

CJRuss 04-17-2022 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by rgburrill (Post 12724204)
I tried a search and that's what I found. Since I am not in "building construction" I had never heard the term. Asking what someone means is not rude, it's a question.

of course you are being rude. A normal person would have ask for more explanation rather than lecture on on the subject. If you had read the post you would have seen that none of what you wrote was any where near the term "roll".