RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Humor (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-humor-177/)
-   -   Totally Useless Facts (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-humor-177/2565-totally-useless-facts.html)

Isaiah 40:31 11-16-2007 03:38 PM

RE: Totally Useless Facts

Uh, wouldn't that be "cuticle", the same material of which fingernails are made of? I don't think rhinos have a mass of fingernails stuck to their faces!

vicman 11-16-2007 03:59 PM

It's hair.

exeter_acres 11-16-2007 06:07 PM

hair and nails are made from the same thing

http://www.yesmag.ca/Questions/rhino.html

:D

vicman 11-16-2007 08:59 PM

You cheated and looked it up.:)

ebeneezer3 11-16-2007 09:34 PM

If a tittle is the dot over the i, what is a jot? Also if I'm out of sorts what is my occupation?

Surpluzz 11-16-2007 09:45 PM

Check this out!! Oklahoma boys playin around with a Savage X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXGZ8r7lXHI

daveopam 11-17-2007 10:35 AM

It is easy to tell fake ivory from real. Who knows how? (related to the rhino horn question)

David

vicman 11-17-2007 09:30 PM

The god awful stench when you cut it.

daveopam 11-18-2007 12:33 PM

Just heat up a pin with a lighter. Stick the pin to it in a place that wont ruin it and sniff. If it smells like burning hair it's ivory.
Vicman get's credit for the correct answer. Although his method is a little rough on the merchandise.

David

NCNeal 11-18-2007 07:35 PM

Cannon monocomponent toner consists of Magnatite, and Resin.
I got that question wrong at photocopier school in 1994. Haven't forgotten it since.

vicman 11-18-2007 08:46 PM

Welcome to RCU Neal. You will have plenty of opportunity to share more useless information as time goes by:D

David,
Burnt Delrin smells pretty dang bad too. It makes your brain feel like it's on fire. Don't ask... trust me on this one.[8D]
I have always had the tact of a brick in my methods.

3DSAVAGE 11-19-2007 02:53 PM

did u know that 2+2 doesn't equal 6? or that an alabama senator tried to pass a law that changed the value of pie to 3(he thought it was too complecated)? aren't senators supposed to pass laws that help us, not screw us all?

Red B. 11-19-2007 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: hardlanding7

TOTALLY USELESS FACTS

Hydrogen gas is the least dense substance in the world, at 0.08988g/cc.
Hydrogen solid is the most dense substance in the world, at 70.6g/cc.

According to Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity, it is possible to go slower than light and faster than light, but it is impossible to go the speed of light. Also, there is a particle called tackyon which is supposed to go faster than light. This means if you fire a tackyon beam, it travels before you fire it.
Interesting list of "useless facts"! I noticed that some of the facts related to physics are not correct as indicated below.

Solid hydrogen is not very dense at all, 0.088, 0.20 and 0.31 g/cm3 for H2, D2 and T2, respectively.
The densest substances known are the elements Iridium and Osmium with densiteis of 22.65 g/cm3 and 22.61 g/cm³.
That is about double that of lead which has a density of 11.34 g/cm3.

One of the consequences of special relativity is that (assuming causality is to be preserved), no information or material object can travel faster than light.

The tachyon is a hypotetic particle that according to the most current and widely accepted understanding of the concept of a particle, are too unstable to be treated as existing.

vicman 11-19-2007 05:07 PM

Yeah!
What he said!:D

Wingdinger2 11-19-2007 09:04 PM

ORIGINAL: daveopam

What color fur does a polar bear have? It's cheating if you Google it.

David
It's black, and no, I didn't cheat. (At least someone pays attention to the science lesson)

Wingdinger2 11-19-2007 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: daveopam

It is easy to tell fake ivory from real. Who knows how? (related to the rhino horn question)

David
Rhino horn is ivory like elephant tusk. Fingernails are keratin, so is whale baleen, or "whalebone", as it's called, I dunno what hair are

Isaiah 40:31 11-19-2007 10:31 PM

ORIGINAL: 3DSAVAGE

did u know that 2+2 doesn't equal 6?
No, but 2 + 2 may equal a number greater than 4, for very large values of "2"!

vicman 11-20-2007 09:49 AM

It's black, and no, I didn't cheat. (At least someone pays attention to the science lesson)
Uh...no, the fur isn't black. It 's transparent like I stated previously, their skin is black tho. So much for paying attention.:eek:

A new one, last year alone there were enough bullets produced to kill every human on earth with two of them.

daveopam 11-20-2007 02:42 PM

If two of them would kill every human on earth, why do you need so many?

There are enough shotgun shells at Wal*Mart to kill every one in Elk City.

David

vicman 11-20-2007 03:12 PM

It's just a fact not a reason[sm=bananahead.gif]

There are enough shotgun shells at Wal*Mart to kill every one in Elk City.
For some reason I recall hearing that Kmart quit selling ammo after Columbine due to that was where most of the ammo was rumored to be aquired from. (this is not a fact only unsubstantiated understanding);)

daveopam 11-20-2007 07:29 PM

On that same note our local Wal*Mart is going to quit selling guns. They quit handguns years ago. Now I hear rifles,shot guns and black powder are next. I have not heard about the ammo but it would not suprize me. I also heard the tire shop is going. Now that they have run 75% of the other tire shops out of business. Ain't free enterprise great.

Back to useless facts: If you are on the salt flats and you shoot a 50 cal with the barrel level 3' off the ground and drop a baseball from 3' at the same time. Which one hits the ground first. This is to easy I'll bet.

David

Isaiah 40:31 11-20-2007 09:17 PM

Actually, dave, several factors need to be considered to answer this question. However, assuming that the distance BETWEEN the ground and the two respective objects is the same and you're not referring to the center of each item (in which case the baseball would most DEFINITELY be the first to hit the ground) then, assuming there is no wind resistance, the baseball would hit the ground first.

I know, I know, you're going to say that they'll both hit the ground at the same time, or to elucidate, at the EXACT same time; however, you have neglected to take into consideration that even thought they are called the salt 'flats', they are not, in fact, flat. Indeed they follow the curvature of the earth. So as the bullet travels further sideways, it actually has farther to fall (in the y-axis) as the earth 'falls away' below it. In addition, one must use the 'e' of an elliptical path, and not the overly simplistic y = mx^2 + b, or even the closer "∏" of a circular path, as gravity is not pulling down in a straight, flat line, but it is actually (from the appearance of the bullet) changing direction as the force maintains it's direct line to the center of the earth.

Adding in the 'e', of course, alludes to the fact that the path is actually a catenary (the same shape that a power line, or a rope hung between 2 poles, assumes), and you will most certainly see that, most certainly, the two items DO NOT hit at the same time. If they did, then satellites would fall out of the sky.

I agree, though, it is too easy!

vicman 11-20-2007 09:32 PM

I liked your other post better.

So, do you choose Isaiah 40:31 because of the refrence to eagles or it's refrence to LORD?

daveopam 11-20-2007 09:46 PM

actually Isaiah 40:31 I was going to say the same thing you did after some idiot said the same time.

BTW if I have a really strong telescope can I go to the flats hold it level and see the back of my head?

David

Isaiah 40:31 11-20-2007 11:41 PM

ORIGINAL: vicman

I liked your other post better.

So, do you choose Isaiah 40:31 because of the refrence to eagles or it's refrence to LORD?
Ha! Which post? I was tired when writing the last one!

Actually, Vicman, it's both! But, being aviation minded, this verse has a special place with me for it's suitably to my interests.