Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 1/4 scale F9F Panther build

I am slowly working on the flap hinges. I started by pulling 2 pieces of spring steel out of used newer style wiper blade. I cut them down into 8 pieces and drilled a hole in the end. I then sandwiched them between some bass wood and capped one side with balsa. they are offset to get the hinge line in the scale location. I will then glue them in flush with the bottom of the wing and flap, 2 hinges per flap similar to the full scale plane. hopefully when the new year starts we'll have some time for a building party. John Roth and Mr Fun Are distracted right now with converting Mr. Fun's 15 year old MiG 31 from ducted fans to a turbine. Maybe they will start working on their Panthers again as soon as they are done with the MiG.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db85963.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	1696063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql34194.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	1696064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp33029.jpg 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	1696065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vp40215.jpg 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	1696066  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Vladimir knew I started working on the wing again so he whipped of a set of tip tanks for me on the plug he was making in the previous posts. He did a really nice job. He made them in the same way he made some 200 oz. fuel tanks for everyone, pulling a front and back off the plug and then glassing a lip on one side so they can be glued together. He left these apart so a few bulk heads can be located in them to attach to the wing. This comes in handy because my foam tanks I was making got squished in a table vice. My 6 year old tightened the handles for me so they wouldn't fall over. I couldn't be angry at him because he was trying to help. Thanks for squishing the foam tanks Nick these glass ones will work great.

Name:	Zx72213.jpg 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	1697777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yu63617.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	1697778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ot47443.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	1697779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cw63815.jpg 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	1697780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	It10850.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	1697781  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did some work on bolting down the hatch. I did it the same way ziroli shows it with a bolt in the front. The problem is that the bulk heads run on an angle there. So the block with the blind nut needs to be cut on an angle to be square to the top of the hatch. The block in the hatch got a nice countersunk hole for the head of the 1/4 20 bolt to sit flush. I was able to do that with a nice set of forstner bits I got for a birthday present from Mr. Fun. Thanks John.

Name:	Fd90807.jpg 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	1701499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu64707.jpg 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	1701500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ty66150.jpg 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	1701501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wp40854.jpg 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	1701502  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good to see you guys working on these again. Hows Vladmir doing on his. It was a bummer about his Tipsy Nipper!

Tim.
    BVM/Skymaster , Jetcat USA , WREN USA and Horizon Hobby/SPEKTRUM Team Representative!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Tim,

Roman has Vladmir's Panther. I don't know if it has been worked on lately. Yeah don't get me started. Corsair vs. Tipsy Nipper that's like an Indy car vs. a baby stroller. That guy should have at least bought Vladimir a new motor. The part that gets me is that guy shook Vladimir's hand and walked away thinking it was a no fault accident. We all accept the risk of putting our planes in the air and knowing that they might not come back in one piece. But this guy could have easily avoided the Nipper............Anyway I worked on the aileron and flap location some more. I also committed to the servo pocket locations. John and Mr. Fun already cut their control surfaces off. I scratch my head between the plans, a plastic model I have, and some full scale pictures as to the size and relation of the flaps and ailerons. The pictures would be the best but they are not taken at a right angle to the plane. I know the flap is deeper than the aileron and on the top of the wing the Aileron hinge line and flap cover is pretty much the same line. So we'll make it look like that. I used a hole saw to rough open the servo location. Then I used an orange handled screw driver to pick out the foam. That screw driver, another fine birthday present from Mr. Fun. Hurry John throw that MiG 31 to the side. I am breaking into all the tools you bought me for you to use when you come over to work on your panther. The black line between the pockets will be the path to burn a hole through the foam for the servo wires. The flap hinges will be sunk flush with the bottom of the wing. Till next time.

Joe Felonk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I forgot to say Vladimir will build another Tipsy Nipper but not for a while.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Off with the flaps. Now I am committed to their shape and location. That's the nice thing about foam, you draw it out and then slit it off. The wing and the flap will get capped and the flap fitted back in. After that it will get hinged. The same will be done with the ailerons. They are staying on right now as a reference to fit the flap back in. Then I can install Vladimir's tip tanks.

Name:	Kh17777.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	1702331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr54049.jpg 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	1702332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wb75254.jpg 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	1702333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sm29668.jpg 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	1702334  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice projeck, congratulations...
    [link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1522634[/link]My f9 build.

Cem

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good luck on your Panther Cem. I burned a hole to the 2 servo pockets by heating a rod and dropping it through the foam. The best way is to hold the foam core plumb and drop the hot rod plumb. You can hit the target surprisingly accurate this way. I put a loop at the end or the rod so there would be more heated mass to do the work. It started by making a 7/8" hole and in the aileron pocket it wound up being about 1/2". This is plenty of room for servo leads and plugs. The best way to pull servo leads is to pull a kite string first. the best way to pull a kite string is to use a vacuum cleaner to suck the string through. My friend Bob who is building a Stuka was amazed when I got a string through his foam core wing in .001 seconds.

Name:	Xv64202.jpg 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	1703183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy79885.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	1703184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ot46886.jpg 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	1703185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uo35742.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	1703186  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I capped a whole bunch of stuff. The wing ends I glued on with urethane glue. This expanded and filled any gap there was between the foam core and the fuse by pushing the cap against the fuse. A little light filler finished the job. I also capped the leading and trailing hinge separation line of the flaps. On the wing I used 1/8" lite ply to stiffen the wing, and on the flap I used 1/8 balsa. When I am gluing large areas a thin film of school glue works fine. It is also a lot lighter than epoxy. Spread it on the foam first. If you spread it on the wood first the moisture tends to bend the wood if it is not attached to anything after a while. Also a thin film dries a lot faster than you think on wood. I sneaked over to the MiG 31 construction lair to get an update on John and John's progress. It looks like they enjoy working together. ( How many people does it take to glue something onto a MiG????? At least two.) I think the MiG will be ready to go somewhere this spring. While I was there I made some wing servo trays for my Panther. The MiG wing made a nice work table.

Name:	Qo39349.jpg 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	1704229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av70012.jpg 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	1704230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk16161.jpg 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	1704231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dw64866.jpg 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	1704232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dp83985.jpg 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	1704233  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ul78254.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	1704234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gi84652.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	1704235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hg20249.jpg 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	1704236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh76582.jpg 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	1704237  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did a little work on the wing servo locations.The 3"x3" aileron pocket gets all the foam picked out to the top sheeting. Then the servo trays get turned into tables that get dropped into the opening deep enough to get the servo flush with the bottom of the wing. Then the top of the tray gets back filled to the bottom sheeting. I made a little tool by gluing a #11 blade to a block. With it I can trim down the back fill blocks almost flush with the bottom sheeting saving a lot of sanding. Some sanding and a little light filler and it is nice and smooth. The flap servos trays will go in similarly but the tray will be tipped to aim the servo at the top of the flap.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I worked on installing my flap hinges. I took two of the hinges and lined them up square. Alignment for two hinges is not as critical as three or more, but I did want them square. Then I tied then together by gluing some 1/8' strips on them. The flap was held back in place by some balsa scabs with some playing card shims for some breathing room. Pockets were then dremiled out for the two hinges to drop into. The pockets were close in size but not a tight fit. Any void would be taken up by the urethane glue. The balsa that was holding them square also holds them from falling to far into the pockets and keeps them flush with the bottom of the wing. The balsa that is holding the hinges square was also tack glued to the bottom sheeting to keep the glue from pushing the hinges out. when everything is dry all that balsa will be knocked off,and hopefully the flap will swing down.

Name:	Yw67844.jpg 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	1706753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pl32259.jpg 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	1706754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In28093.jpg 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	1706755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ke91216.jpg 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	1706756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vg55867.jpg 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	1706757  

Name:	Mc50399.jpg 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	1706758  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The flap looks like it will work. I busted off all the balsa that was holding everything and sanded down all the glue bumps. Anywhere there was a gap I filled in with some Red Devil lite filler. The stuff works great just don't put it on too thick. The top of the flap will need some shaping for it to clear the hinge cover that will eventually go on the wing.

Name:	Pm35164.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	1707044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je10533.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	1707045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp35465.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	1707046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sm28085.jpg 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	1707047  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gorgeous build...will be a long time before I have the time, space, skill, and funding to do anything like that.

Will this bird be able to fly out of the Forest Preserve field on 107th St. or will it have to be flown elsewhere? Also, I thought there were four or five of these under construction...are the others at a standstill or are they just not posting to the forum?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

We got the "band back together" last night and we worked from 7pm until 5am. Joe helped jump start my stalled Panther.

We worked on the fuselage with some sanding and filling. We installed the main gear and nose gear and cut down the main struts to give the Panther a slight nose up AOA.

We worked on the wings; we laid out the servo pockets and dug the foam out to the top sheeting. We burned a hole through the foam to run the servo wires and lighting wires and we made pocket covers.

I am using the Likes Line electric retracts and struts and Glennis 6" wheels and brakes.

I am installing my servos flat mounted to a plate in the wing; the flap servos will have hidden linkages. Joe reminded me that the flap hinge line was well into the flap surface itself, I will try to get a set of flap hinges from Joe.

We were talking about how nice it would be if these Panthers could take off and land at our field. With the 6" wheels, we probably could use the grass and not worry about the runway (30' by 300'). We will test fly the Panthers at a larger field and if they can be flown at the Palos field, they will be.

There are 5 Panthers being built by Palos RC members ( www.palosrc.com), Joe Funk has been the most active, Mr. Fun has been working on his Mig-31, so his Panther is stalled, Bill Jaworski is taking a break from his build and he was working on his F-5 or F-20( I cannot remember) and Vladimir made some tip tanks, but I have not asked him about his progress on the Panther.

Hopefully I got the motivation to work on the Panther for the next six months and get this project done!

Thanks for your interest.

John

Name:	Yw68328.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	1707779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kg15127.jpg 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	1707780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch96145.jpg 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	1707781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tn32678.jpg 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	1707782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Al72913.jpg 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	1707783  

Name:	Mk25406.jpg 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	1707784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni23736.jpg 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	1707785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ag91428.jpg 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	1707786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us55217.jpg 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	1707787  
    Boomerang XL2, Euro Fighter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WOW!!! Sounds like you guys are pussin out!!! C'mon airborne suck it up!!!

Git er done!!

Tim
    BVM/Skymaster , Jetcat USA , WREN USA and Horizon Hobby/SPEKTRUM Team Representative!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I spent some time in the basement today; I worked on the servo pockets of the Panther.

I worked on the elevators first. I already lined the servo pockets and installed the hardwood triangle stock and then I used 1/8" aircraft plywood, made the doors, cut the slots for the servo arm, glued blocks and screwed the servos in place. I am using JR 8611a servos with exposed linkages for the elevators.

I worked on the ailerons next, I found some servo doors from an old project and I decided to use them for the ailerons. I sanded the foam and sheeting to get a good fit to the doors, and then I added hard triangle stock to screw the doors to. I scuffed the doors and glued hard blocks to the door for the servo mounts. I am using JR 8411 servos with exposed linkage for the ailerons.

The next step was the flap servo pockets; I sanded the foam, made 1/8" aircraft plywood doors to match the aileron doors and made sure the fit was good. Then I checked to make sure that I cleared the rear aluminum spar and I installed 1" plywood stand-offs to the front and rear of the pocket. I made a 1/8" plywood servo plate, mounted the servo and then mounted the plate to the stand-offs. Then I installed rails running front to back to mount the door to. I am using JR 8711 servos with hidden linkage for the flaps.

Name:	Ol31414.jpg 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	1708217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc91702.jpg 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	1708218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rx60021.jpg 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	1708219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At55277.jpg 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	1708220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hs95513.jpg 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	1708221  

Name:	Ri68665.jpg 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	1708222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jm96443.jpg 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	1708223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Az88390.jpg 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	1708224   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om93932.jpg 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	1708225  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is the my left flap hinge install. It went in the same way as the right flap. Next the top of the flaps will need to be trimmed down to clear the flap cover that will eventually go on. After that the ailerons can come off and be capped and hinged.

Name:	Tr51161.jpg 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	1708366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr55890.jpg 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	1708367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ns43972.jpg 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	1708368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pj18297.jpg 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	1708369  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Joe,

Please post a pictures of the top and side of the wing with the flap in both positions.

Thanks,

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are some pix. of the flap from the top. The flap still needs to be trimmed down and the cover needs to be added.

Name:	Om32360.jpg 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	1708658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk30427.jpg 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	1708659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ty64994.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	1708660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rl25544.jpg 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	1708661  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are some photos that Dennis took of the building marathon from 7pm until 5am. Joe and I are cutting the wing servo pockets and burning the servo wire hole through the foam and Mr. Fun is doing some research for his Mig-31.

I worked on boxing in the wheel wells on the Panther, Joe helped me with the nose gear, and I have a lot of light plywood, so I used that in the pocket for the wheel.

Then I moved on to the main wheel wells, I installed 1/8” aircraft plywood in the center section to stiffen the belly of the plane since there really is no structure there. Then I installed a former near the retract and then a former in between the two formers. All was going well until I retracted the wheels, one of the tires bottomed out against the wheel well floor. I removed the floor and I will have to make the wheel well ½” deeper. I will wait to install the floor until I remove the top hatch from the fuselage.

Name:	Mk25238.jpg 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	1709249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16641.jpg 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	1709250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw58663.jpg 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	1709251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ke90806.jpg 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	1709252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xi62684.jpg 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	1709253  

Name:	Iy36364.jpg 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	1709254   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bd67570.jpg 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	1709255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk37345.jpg 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	1709256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vu29874.jpg 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	1709257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ob24599.jpg 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	1709258  

Name:	Jp67873.jpg 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	1709259  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://youtu.be/862cqi5-vls Here is Mr Roths Panther gear working at our club meeting show and tell.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know:
    8711 has 403 oz/in
    8611A has 282 oz/in
    8411 has 155 oz/in

I could not remember the specs during my show and tell presentation.

Thanks for posting the video Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John Roth brought his Panther over for a coat of lite filler to even out the his fuse. Vladimir gave him some tips on how to use a belt to round things out. Roman worked on an air bypass plug and gave it to Vladimir to see if he could lay a few up. Vladimir also brought over a tack welder he made to eventually make any length pipes any of the planes need. It's interesting how this project gets guys to be innovative with different building techniques and making parts and tools to help the project along. They are some talented guys.

Name:	Ge94539.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	1711435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk30131.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	1711436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx60409.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	1711437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fy72227.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	1711438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pa32887.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	1711439  

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast