Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 43 of 185 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 4602

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

ORIGINAL: Craig B.

Strongest sport jet on the market. 8411's all around as well
    +1.......had mine out yesterday with the Jetcat 120sx in it.....pulled 11.75 g's according to the Jetcat GPS and we have maxed her out at 396km/hr....one tough jet. She might graduate to a 140 rx soon....got one coming next week!

I have dubro smoke tanks behind my inlets....not sure if it would be any quicker if I was running a full bypass with the conformal smoke tanks.......opinions?

Craig.
    Craig

I think it would be, but you would need to do a back to back test, same day ideally. Though it's quick enough...

Dave
    Motors & Rotors. JetCat, Powerbox, Intairco, Behotec, Graupner. CARF-models Rep. JR Propo for ever!, Jet 1A, MAP, Evojet, BVM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

+1.......had mine out yesterday with the Jetcat 120sx in it.....pulled 11.75 g's according to the Jetcat GPS and we have maxed her out at 396km/hr....one tough jet. She might graduate to a 140 rx soon....got one coming next week!

I have dubro smoke tanks behind my inlets....not sure if it would be any quicker if I was running a full bypass with the conformal smoke tanks.......opinions?

Craig.

Craig

I think it would be, but you would need to do a back to back test, same day ideally. Though it's quick enough...

Dave
    + 1

246 mph with a 120 set up?
    SPEKTRUM
    JETCAT USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds about right, I have always said my P-120SX Green UF is doing 250mph flat out. Luckily I don't suffer with the small p/b problem those that have to go fast always, show

Dw
    Motors & Rotors. JetCat, Powerbox, Intairco, Behotec, Graupner. CARF-models Rep. JR Propo for ever!, Jet 1A, MAP, Evojet, BVM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Doug,

I have clocked my ultra at speeds consistently over 370kph ....often around 370-380 measured with jetcat gps on four separate weekends with the 120sx. Speed runs have been done with very careful approach and a well structure dive with minimal elevator input so as to minimise drag. Not sure what your rolling eyeballs are referring to... was it my question about the bypass? I don't want to misinterpret....

The only reason I ask is that many people have an overly simplistic view of the pressure and airflow dynamics that occur within our jets. I hear a lot of talk about the ram air effect and canopies blowing off models because of it and, having spoken to some engineer mates that are knowledgable in that area, I believe that a lot of that supposition is nonsense. I think similar assumptions also get made about bypasses and their value.

Anyway, was curious to hear from those who may have expertise on that topic. My classic flash has the full bypass and is quite quick, the ultra has no bypass joiner and it is quicker...now I know there are many reasons for that and I am not comparing apples with apples, which is why I put the question out there.

Anyway, bottom line is it is a great model and I am just trying to figure out whether it is worthwhile fitting the conformal smoke tanks in preference to what I have atm. Can someone please remind me what their capacity is?

Craig.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HI Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. The gps has been remarkably consistent so it is not as if there has been one aberrant reading. Pretty sure it is on the mark.

Regards,

Craig.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Craig

I flew the original original Classic Flash without inlet tracks and then my first production model with the bye-pass. Both old P-120 powered and my later model had better energy throttle off and looked a little quicker.
    The Ultra Flash is a lot quicker than the CF period, wing is way different on drag.
    Any air that goes into a bigger space (whole fuselage) slows down. Being forced through the bye-pass maintains a more constant velocity.
    But my main reason has always been fire-I would rather contain it

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

double post!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Craig.
    Hi Craig,

In theory at least, a bypassed installation should be faster than an open engine. This is because the open install has more drag, and drag is a limiting factor to all out top speed.

As air flows through a system, such as the internals of a jet, some drag is created. The amount of drag is dependent on a whole bunch of factors, but any change in direction and velocity add to the drag. At very high speed, there is a LOT of air flowing through a model jet, much more then the turbine uses. As Dave surmises, having the flow contained within a duct greatly reduces the changes in direction and velocity, and therefore drag.

There is a million threads here on weather to bypass or not, and which is best. My personal opinion is that a correctly designed bypass is more efficient, and therefore correct. However, most model jets fly perfectly well without a bypass.

I think you will have to experiment to find out which is fastest. I would be interested in the result.

Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

+ 1

246 mph with a 120 set up?
    Ultra must cut the drag WAY down, with the classic that was ballpark for a 160
    Morgan Fuels / JetCat / KingTech

At our field we have 3 classics flying, one with a P160, one with a K140 and the other with a cheatah. So far the fastest has been the K140, but we are talking all within a 10-15mph window. I believe the airframe is limited to a certain speed and would take a huge jump in power to overcome that wall. As for me I am going to keep it at half throttle, covers too much ground otherwise. Besides now that we know we cant do that any more [:-]
    Dale

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I try not make make assumptions about another person based on how they want to fly a toy plane, just because its a different manner to what I choose..... W.T.F ?? [] If you want to fly fast.. then go for it. I can't ever remember getting into jets because they flew slowly to be honest... As long as you keep it safe then I have no issue... A badly set up/ flown or maintained jet is going to do just as much harm at 250 Mph as it is 275!
    What I can tell you is that I have logged a whole bunch ( Looking at my GSU it would suggest 65 to 70 flights) on my stock built Ultra Flash and its superb. Could I trade it or downgrade for a 120 or a P-80.... Hell No! I never was the biggest standard flash fan, but this Ultra is without a doubt leaps ahead better. It flies slow, it flies fast. It's pure, and its bloody strong. I get 8 mins on my set up ( Which is exactly the same time as my P-120 version flies for. I think the reason for this similar flight time, whilst having completely different performances is the bypass. Let me explain. Nothing too technical or aerodynamic here I am afraid guys. Just a simple guys evaluation based on stick time, and feel.
    In California a few weeks ago, I got to fly a Titan powered UF of Afterburners. Whilst it flew just as well as either of my flashes back home, the top end speed was remarkably different. I was expecting some speed difference due to the power plant, but what I experienced really surprised me. With the non bypass install I found that in a dive the model would reach a speed and just stop accelerating. I would have the nose down, and be expecting the model to keep ramping up that little bit more... but nothing. Of course I could now see a big top end speed difference as well. What I also found was the massive drop in inertia and energy retention.
    On My UF I can do a full power run and as I am getting to runway centre, cut the power ( My last pass of the day I actually shut the turbine off ) then pull to vertical. On the energy alone I then let it climb vertically. With my bypassed model I get to a dot ( Almost out of sight ) I can then do almost 3 mins on the glide till touch down. Although normally I just do a sequence of aeros. With the open install, it was as if I had a huge air brake on. The vertical climb was cut in half, and then the subsequent dive was much shorter and harder work.
    I will have a UF in the fleet from now on, no mater what. That UF will have a powerful turbine, no matter what. That bigger turbine will be fully bypassed... no mater what Thats not to say that the model performs badly on the open install. I had a blast flying the UF of Afterburner in Cali ( Thanks again for) It's just that I think its a slightly better all round set up when its all cleaned up internally.
    Hope this feed back helps? and I hope you guys keep enjoying your UF's. They are a great plane, and if you get half as much out of yours as you do mine, you will be happy.
    Regards Al
    Al's Hobbies, Horizon Hobby, Airworld, BVM, Jet Cat, Skymaster, Rc Jet Centre,pull over, Tomahawk, C-ARF, Jet-Teng,Kingtech

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Ali,

Have you got metal servo arms on you UF or are you using HD nylon arms? I was originally putting a 120 in my UF until I saw your 160 powered version at the nats and so have put a 160 in mine, what elevator servos are you running? 8321's?

Thanks in advance

Steve
    May you have as many good landings as you do take offs!!

Ultra Lightning, Ultra Flash, Skymaster 1:6 F16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Ali,

Good feedback. I will look into the conformal fuel cells I think.

Regards,

Craig.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Steve.
    JR 8411's all round using the Plastic "SuperServo" arm. These don't come as standard with the 8411's ( They do with the 8511 upward) Good luck with your Ultra and your small p/b problem... LOL I can't imagine anything to do with you being classed as small Steve!
    Craig. No Worries.
    Regards Al
    Al's Hobbies, Horizon Hobby, Airworld, BVM, Jet Cat, Skymaster, Rc Jet Centre,pull over, Tomahawk, C-ARF, Jet-Teng,Kingtech

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nope, I don't do small!!!!

I suppose I should put my hand in my pocket and buy 2 8411 for the elevator, I have 8321's at the moment but will change them over, (Just ordered them through your website Ali)

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would Steve. There is nothing worse than that feeling of doing a down hill run and wondering if that elevator stick is going to have anything left to level you out at the end of it.
    Thankyou for the order. Mail order dept have them pulled and ready to go out. They should be with you in the morning. Did you have the super servo arms, or did you need a set sending with the servos?
    Regards Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No I have got the super arms on the 8321's already fitted to the UF so I will swap then over, thanks for the offer though,

Cheers buddy

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wojtek

Check out what Shui ( www.shulmanaviation.com ) hooked me up with [8D] ..

these are the new smoke/fuel saddle tanks from CARF for the Flashes ( regular and UF)

Its a super tight fit, but it fits, bypas and all ... im in the process of rerouting some of the cables ...

on another note, i just saw my elevator hinge is lifting up [&o] .. bumped it likely on a landing as the horns are scraped .. I'll fix it for now, but i'll feel better ordering a new elevator for the long haul ... anyway, the its an amazing flying jet !

~V~
    Sorry, been a few pages back already but wanted to come back to those saddle tanks. What are people's views on hooking them up with the main tank? There should be three possibilities in theory:
    1. main tank and saddle tanks in parallel and all feeding into the UAT
    2. saddle tanks feeding into the main tank which in turn feeds into the UAT
    3. main tank feeding into the saddle tanks which in turn feed into the UAT

Is there any obvious choice here?

Thanks guys!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some simple videos taken from our SLR at the weekend... Must teach Simon how to zoom [&:]

Take off and some low power setting flight whilst I waited for sky to clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5Yjbq5l2o

Some slightly faster flying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imqTtwce398

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-LAHexRBAc

Enjoy!

Regards Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Aly!

Impressive speed past!

It looks that the plane is ready to go very fast, that's what made me decide to buy one just two days!

Do we say that Turbine could mount and servos?

My station is a Super 8FG and thought put to all controls the Futaba S9156 and I'm thinking Turbine Jet Cat P140 new!

Greetings.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ali,

thanks for your UF video, i know what suit me best.

Yiming

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Must resist the urge to unpack mine, think I'll uncrate one with a mate instead!

ORIGINAL: Ali
    Some simple videos taken from our SLR at the weekend... Must teach Simon how to zoom [&:]
    Not too much though, it can get shaky real quick. [:@]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wixZhlPx_Q4[/youtube]
    Sverrir G. - Icelandic Volcano Yeti

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ali

I try not make make assumptions about another person based on how they want to fly a toy plane, just because its a different manner to what I choose..... W.T.F ?? [] If you want to fly fast.. then go for it. I can't ever remember getting into jets because they flew slowly to be honest... As long as you keep it safe then I have no issue... A badly set up/ flown or maintained jet is going to do just as much harm at 250 Mph as it is 275!
    What I can tell you is that I have logged a whole bunch ( Looking at my GSU it would suggest 65 to 70 flights) on my stock built Ultra Flash and its superb. Could I trade it or downgrade for a 120 or a P-80.... Hell No! I never was the biggest standard flash fan, but this Ultra is without a doubt leaps ahead better. It flies slow, it flies fast. It's pure, and its bloody strong. I get 8 mins on my set up ( Which is exactly the same time as my P-120 version flies for. I think the reason for this similar flight time, whilst having completely different performances is the bypass. Let me explain. Nothing too technical or aerodynamic here I am afraid guys. Just a simple guys evaluation based on stick time, and feel.
    In California a few weeks ago, I got to fly a Titan powered UF of Afterburners. Whilst it flew just as well as either of my flashes back home, the top end speed was remarkably different. I was expecting some speed difference due to the power plant, but what I experienced really surprised me. With the non bypass install I found that in a dive the model would reach a speed and just stop accelerating. I would have the nose down, and be expecting the model to keep ramping up that little bit more... but nothing. Of course I could now see a big top end speed difference as well. What I also found was the massive drop in inertia and energy retention.
    On My UF I can do a full power run and as I am getting to runway centre, cut the power ( My last pass of the day I actually shut the turbine off ) then pull to vertical. On the energy alone I then let it climb vertically. With my bypassed model I get to a dot ( Almost out of sight ) I can then do almost 3 mins on the glide till touch down. Although normally I just do a sequence of aeros. With the open install, it was as if I had a huge air brake on. The vertical climb was cut in half, and then the subsequent dive was much shorter and harder work.
    I will have a UF in the fleet from now on, no mater what. That UF will have a powerful turbine, no matter what. That bigger turbine will be fully bypassed... no mater what Thats not to say that the model performs badly on the open install. I had a blast flying the UF of Afterburner in Cali ( Thanks again for) It's just that I think its a slightly better all round set up when its all cleaned up internally.
    Hope this feed back helps? and I hope you guys keep enjoying your UF's. They are a great plane, and if you get half as much out of yours as you do mine, you will be happy.
    Regards Al
    Alright my friend,,,,, Sold!!!! I will have the bypass installed in my new UF when it arrives. It's still gonna have some round slim Jim smoke tanks though. .
    SPEKTRUM
    JETCAT USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The bypass is included with the kit yes?????
    SPEKTRUM
    JETCAT USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes it is.
    Sverrir G. - Icelandic Volcano Yeti