Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Old 10-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

So far I've used Flight Modes only in 3D prop planes, exactly for the 3D maneuvering. I haven't felt the need in any other scenario myself. I feel it's certainly an advance and a useful feature that has its place in certain applications. I was just curious about Dave's take on it and about how popular it's been in jets.

My point in agreeing with Dave was regarding the borderline dangerous overkill on turbine size these days...

Cheers,
Old 10-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 732 Likes on 528 Posts

B

My inner circle of turbine flyers is around 12 guys and 2 use FM...

I guess it depends also on radios used too.

Thanks

Dw
Old 10-26-2011, 02:59 AM
Stobe777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To each his own! If it aint broken, dont fix it!
I like the fact that turning one switch does all necessary the way I want.
Used to fly fast F5D models and there the dual rates+trim+crow in one switch was a relief.
In the Futaba I have its just as little or much time consuming to set up a dual rate as a flight mode.
Back to UF flying.
TP.

Some video..gear was down in the first flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amOi6hBLIyo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31021.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1678923  
Old 10-26-2011, 04:18 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't use dual rates, i fly the same rate regardless and if i need a little more rudder in a particular move, i just add a little more stick to it, but i do use flight modes and i link them to the flaps, this way i can trim every flight condition with a single flight and not have to land and adjust something and try again.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stobe777

Mine has 3 flight modes. Speed has the smallest movement with most expo and no flap. Takeoff has some flap and bit more travel and less expo plus a bit down elevator. Landing mode has full flap, more ele down trim, full travel and almost no expo. And crow in ailerons.
What is good, are separate trims for each mode. Usually airplanes tend to fly differently when ''clean'' and ''dirty'' with the gear down. I like having the possibility to trim it. But based on yesterdays test flights, the UF really needs only the elevator compensation for flaps. It really flies straight. But having done all this programming for a previous Elan, I use it now and just changed the model name on sreen. And a bit tweaking here and there, but thats it.
TP.
I recently swapped all my jets over to this method.. one mode for takeoff, one for landing, one for cruise.. However, I take the time to tweak my expo so that the same stick movement gives about the same response, so... less expo with the takeoff, and less than that with landing.. I use hi rate elevator at all times, and actually reverse the expo order for it, so that at any given time I have 100 percent throw, but with "low rate", i use alot of expo, with high rate, little expo. Crow is on the land mode and take off mode proportional. it helps the jet rotate easily and of course keeps the nose up landing... that way I also trim each mode and done... helped alot this summer dialing in two kingcats

That has served me well because I almost ran out of elevator in my elan after a bad mistake, and I want it there when needed in any mode. I got screwed up and needed it and it was a close one, almost planted it. after that, I will always have 100 % elevator throw available.. SAme with rudder

On takeoff, I use 2 mixes with the NOse gear, a Taxi mode and and a take off mode... Its actually a separate high / /low rate switch for the nose gear. Its my mix switch... independent of the rudder rate. That gives very smooth takeoffs with low steering rates, and still have high rudder for control.. Of course if you have a gyro on the rudder/ng, you cant do that but it does'nt matter, the gyro keeps it pretty straight.

THose things have helped me alot. fwiw
Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Jack28

I am going to put an Ultra Flash together over the winter. How do you it would fly with 22 lbs of thrust? Thanks Jack.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Perfectly well. Especially if its a light 22 lbs.
One of our team UF's had an older P120 that we dialled down and that went really well. We have just built a Merlin 100 powered UF for a customer and he reports power to weight as being superb.
Regards Al
Old 10-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Dave Wilshere

ORIGINAL: Jack28

I am going to put an Ultra Flash together over the winter. How do you it would fly with 22 lbs of thrust? Thanks Jack.
Jack there is a P-80SE video a couple of pages back.

regards

Dave Wilshere
Old 10-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Jack28

Thanks Dave, I was going to put my brand New Rabbit 100 in it , It's almost the same size as my regular rabbit (1/4' longer), very compact. I just got the engine yesterday, see my post titled ''Wow Jet Central does it again,Rabbit 100. I should be nice and light yet still fly with some authority, it has 22.5 lbs thrust. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Dave Wilshere

Jack

Yes, another perfect turbine for a great flying sports jet with good performance. The KJ 66/P-80 case size turbine had it it's own way for years, the new 100 is going to be massively popular.

Dave
Old 10-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Jack28

Thanks again Ali and Dave!!, Ali have you flown one (100 sized turbine ) in the falsh yet?? Also what is your prefered Landing gear option?
Old 10-28-2011, 01:04 PM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

I've flown a classic flash with a rabbit and it is really a great set-up. The 22# version will be perfect for that plane, with the rabbit it had good verticle but not unlimited and would fly fast when needed.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:24 AM
Didier

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Hello Guys.
Just received the original gear for the UF.
I noticed that there is no centering device on the nosegear.
Does anybody have any problems retracting the (nose) gear inflight due to no centering of the nosegear??
Thanks
Old 10-29-2011, 03:27 AM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If anybody intends to sell his Ultra Flash, please take a look here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=793755
Old 10-29-2011, 06:42 AM
mtnflyer14

Interesting! The UF in the picture is mine. That pic must have been taken at Speedworld in Phoenix last February. Not for sale, though!
Regards,
Gus Grissom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	om33098.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	572.8 KB
ID:	1680096   Click image for larger version

Name:	uq49835.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	575.4 KB
ID:	1680097  
Old 10-29-2011, 06:47 AM
mtnflyer14

I widened the ply former a little where the strut enters the nosewheel well, but no problems with centering on retraction. I used the pull-pull system as described in the manual.
Regards,
Gus
Old 10-30-2011, 04:41 PM
mtnflyer14

The pic has now been changed from my airplane to a stock photo. Not a problem.
Regards,
Gus
Old 10-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Dave Wilshere

ORIGINAL: Didier

Hello Guys.
Just received the original gear for the UF.
I noticed that there is no centering device on the nosegear.
Does anybody have any problems retracting the (nose) gear inflight due to no centering of the nosegear??
Thanks
Missed this! Friction!
In the behotec yoke there is a tapped screw hole, put a 5mm length of 3mm air tube and a set screw on top. nip down the set screw until the leg wont flop. The friction is easily over come by the servo. The trailing link leg/wheel assy will weather vane straight and the U former we put in the Flash nose guides the Behotec nose leg in and also stops it twisting in flight

Dw
Old 10-31-2011, 12:48 AM
Ruymán

Hello friends!

One question that I think nobody has done. What is the best auxiliary tank for capacity or a CG right, which goes into the wing or two that go inside the fuselage?

I'm going to ride my Ultra Flash the new P-100RX Jet Cat and I would like to know what would be the best option for the CG is suitable.

Thank you.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:31 AM
Nils_Hammon

ORIGINAL: Ruym�n

Hello friends!

One question that I think nobody has done. What is the best auxiliary tank for capacity or a CG right, which goes into the wing or two that go inside the fuselage?

I'm going to ride my Ultra Flash the new P-100RX Jet Cat and I would like to know what would be the best option for the CG is suitable. [img][/img]

Thank you. [img][/img]
The wing tank sits in front of the CG, so with a P100, ie lower power and therefore longer take-off run, I would use the two saddle tank since they are closer to/around the CG.
Capayity wise the saddle tanks are 1.4l I believe, so same if not a little more capacity than the wing tank.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:28 AM
essendon_05

I have a wren 100 K Pro in my UF. 22lbs, 9kg dry weight. Just running 2.2L conformal as per kit plus a hopper with qty of approx 180ml ( INTAIRCO).. Flight time is around 8-9mins safely. cofg is 235mm. I feel it could go back another 5-10mm but i couldnt be bothered moving the ecu battery aft more since i have made a cradle which sits inside the wing access hatch and i connect it when putting wing on. No Aux wing tank needed if you run a 22lb turbine. As per Dave's Video its a slippery model, and mine gets off very quick and continues to accellerate no problems there.
My two cents from own experience.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:39 AM
Jack28

What is the landing gear of choice for the Ultra Flash , flying off of grass ? I had the Behotec/Inter. gear set in my standard flash, they were great , except for the pins and grinding flat spots to keep the gear from turning. Jack.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Stock gear as supplied from Carf has proven to be perfect for grass use. In fact the hard tyres sound much better on grass than they do a hard surface.
One of the U/F's We have had as a shop flyer had Jet A1's. Also worked well, but needed more maintenance to make sure they did not get any dirt/ grit in the mechs and cause them to jam. Also a PIA as they would always want to lock down when the wing was disconnected which made transport a pain.
Our next U/F will have electric gear. Pro lynx legs and Airpower wheels and brakes just to try an alternative.
Regards Al
Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Ruymán

Is that the new P-100 weighs less even than the P-80. Well I will continue waiting for me CARF will send tanks in the fuselage.

CG Then you take it to 235mm but can still say that further delay of 5 to 10mm as it seems to me to understand you!

My finger prefers a P-140 but my heart says, better a P-100 to land more calmly to weigh less than the plane on a runway of 160 meters with a ravine on each side of our club!

Greetings.

ORIGINAL: essendon_05

I have a wren 100 K Pro in my UF. 22lbs, 9kg dry weight. Just running 2.2L conformal as per kit plus a hopper with qty of approx 180ml ( INTAIRCO).. Flight time is around 8-9mins safely. cofg is 235mm. I feel it could go back another 5-10mm but i couldnt be bothered moving the ecu battery aft more since i have made a cradle which sits inside the wing access hatch and i connect it when putting wing on. No Aux wing tank needed if you run a 22lb turbine. As per Dave's Video its a slippery model, and mine gets off very quick and continues to accellerate no problems there.
My two cents from own experience.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:35 AM
Selleri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ali

Another turnkey UF heading out to a customer. Two in a week.. can't be bad

I think the box got bigger on it's way over!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.