Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

I was out in Tenerife a couple of weeks ago and went flying with Ruyman. He is a very acomplished pilot but the day we went flying there was a strong 90 deg crosswind on their very short and narrow runway and he decided not to fly the Ultraflash but we did fly a Habu and a horrifically quick electric pylon racer which was nearly as fast as a Flash.

It is me who has been encouraging him to try a little less flap and a small amount of crow because that is the way I fly my Ultraflash. I totally agree with Dave that it doesn't NEED crow but what I have found as a very experienced F3A pilot but low time turbine pilot that coupled with a little less flap, it helps to extend the safe landing speed window. Without it I found I had to hit the correct airspeed exactly or I would end up with a stall and drop from a couple of feet or a too high speed touchdown. The end result of either is a nose to tail bounce down the runway that doesn't do your wing tips any good. I think once my energy management improves it might be possible to put back another 20mm of flap and maybe remove the crow to have an even slower touchdown or steeper approach but on the sites I fly at I'm happy with the 80mm flap 6mm crow setup I have now.

Malcolm
Old 12-12-2012, 02:03 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

All a bit of light hearted fun to try and warm up this cold ***** day. I have found that in many cases, a set up that works for one, may not be suited to another's flying style. "each to their own" as they say.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:04 AM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

How many flights you guys got on the retracts? What sort of surface are you flying off? dry, dusty? The thread getting clogged seems to be the short fall that can cause issues.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I have some Electron ER-40's in a Reaction and have had about 30 flights off a dusty dirt strip.
No issues at all so far. I do take you point about the threads though. Will make sure I keep a good eye on them.

Have another set of ER-40's going into my second UF. Also have a set of the electric brakes from Electron that I can't wait to try.
Will get a video up once I have them in the plane.

On another note, I have decided to put a Kingtech 100G in this one. It's my second Kingtech but the first of the G series.
Anyway ran it up on the weekend with diesel ( I have been running diesel in a K140 since new) and it goes great. Only complaint I would have is the white smoke that comes out after shutdown. Not the engines fault I know but I wish it didn't do it

Regards,

Paul.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:07 AM
paulhat

ORIGINAL: Ali

All a bit of light hearted fun to try and warm up this cold ***** day. I have found that in many cases, a set up that works for one, may not be suited to another's flying style. ''each to their own'' as they say.
Hi Ali,

I think the best thing about crow is the noise that it makes
Reaction really whistles!! (slows it down nice as well).

Paul.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 AM
Ruymán

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your tips, I think that you proves the friend Malcom settings and if you don't like me will come back to the same behavior.

Thank you very much friends!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 AM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I, for one, find this on going debate about crow very interesting. Especially because it is being waged by a couple very proficient jet pilots.

Crow absolutely transformed the landing characteristics of my Classic Flash. I'm waiting for my ultra upgrade package as we speak and I can guarantee you that I will be trying both crow and crowless when I get it upgraded. Then I'll know for sure who's right
Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

Everyone is right! Technique will affect what works for you for sure.

The Classic Flash is a completely different animal, its was Stevie in our club who first tried CROW on the CF years ago and it transformed most people's chance of landing it on our 90m grass strip.

In have been using CROW for nearly as long as I have been flying turbines, we always had a small strip so an FD67 powered Cyclone was one of the first and my 1/7th kit AW L-39 followed back in 2002 as it is heavy and lacking flap! Some aeroplanes really gain, others not so much

Enjoy

Dave
Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 AM
Rob Howarth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even my friend Sheryl loves a bit of 'Crow' - I bet you'd love for her to convince you Dave..................
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58758.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1829175  
Old 12-12-2012, 06:11 AM
Ali

Yep. Business really is that slow! Special thanks to Rob H and Birdy for their inspiration and behind the scenes motivation!

Name:	Nl29616.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1829209  
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Duncan

Rob? Really? lol

Name:	Db85480.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1829210  
Old 12-12-2012, 06:22 AM
ricardinho

[:
Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Ruymán

Very good Aly!

Do and those who use good Crow tour carried part of Malcolm?

Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Dave Wilshere

Luckily been far too busy today to get involved
Never had a thing about Ms Crow...but with a different body like that...MMMmm

In the right place, I do love CROW...just not on an UF!

D
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 AM
ricardinho

dave i found it works great on the kingcat and boomers...never used it on anything else
Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Dave Wilshere

Always flew my KingCat and BobCat C without as they also have tonnes of flap. The Boomerang Nano I used to fly uses CROW, split rudders and 90 degree flap to add drag!
The Classic Flash was the biggest winner as with full flap the AB section messed up the elevator response and with less flap it was lacking drag needing glider approaches. The CROW lifted the nose and poured on the drag.

D
Old 12-12-2012, 04:00 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Crow is not about adding drag as much as it is about reducing lift. If lift is reduced by a certain margin, this leaves a more positive feeling on landing, and a larger speed envelope to perform landings without (excessive) ballooning or bounce. It allows for a more consistent feel independent of wind conditions.

Its about whatever someone likes ... its all in the eye of the beholder ( or rather the stick of the pilot )

~V~
Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Dave Wilshere

It adds drag...sure it reduces lift too, mainly in the aileron area near the tip. On a glider wing its a good thing, its used with huge angles on a wing with massive lift. On a Jet I only want drag, the UF wing loading is "nice" on landings as it is. But like everyone says, if it works for you...

Dw
Old 12-13-2012, 05:27 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

no it doesn't !! ...

lol, j/k !!

~V~
Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 AM
Bravo77

I think that the experience of Dave on the UF speaks loud enough . Success is dependent on experience some chose to use and others try to defy , all because they want to prove themselves right. I will maiden my UF early next year and guess whose advise I will follow.

Happy Flying and Merry Christmas to all
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Following or taking the advice of an expert is certainly a good place to start on pretty much anything we do in this sport. But in the end we all need to develope our own skills and levels of "comfort" with the way we fly. The use of Crow on my Classic Flash trasformed it from a good plane to a comfortable plane for me to fly. Now I am flying the Ultra Flash and it lands just fine without Crow, but I am still more comfortable flying into our short field with the use of Crow. So, is Crow better or worse? Who cares It just works better for me and my flying style.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 AM
HAMMERDOWN
My Feedback: (100)

I had 350+ flights on my CF with no damage. After selling it and building a UF I had about 50-50 of what i would call successful landings. I got tired of repairing the wing tips (and other things) and hung it up and flew other airplanes for almost a year. At BITW I asked for Ali to take a look at it. The only changes he made was decrease my flap throw from the factory recommended setting and added crow. I didn't do it for any reason except to get the thing back on the runway safely. Every airframe has different flight characteristics. That's the reason the FAA requires dual instruction when making a change even from a Cessna 172 to a 182. The CF and UF have different landing characteristics and for me, the instruction manual wasn't enough. I now make a level or slightly nose down approach (like a full scale and unlike the instruction manual) and flare. I was in the habit of a nose high approach because the CF liked. The UF seems to slow more quickly and, without adding the correct amount of power, would stall. The landing speed envelope was very small. The combination of the adjustments and a more level descent made this my favorite airplane again. With a proper approach, it almost lands itself. I'm sure I could now land it without crow but it works for me and I'm not going back. Thanks Ali!

Omega PowerSportsLLC.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Ali

Happy to be of help.
Regards Al
Old 12-13-2012, 12:37 PM
lcvmoreira

Please, can you explain what is CROW ? How its works ?

Thanks

Luis Moreira
Old 12-13-2012, 02:18 PM
paulhat

[link=http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwiki/index.php?title=Crow_brakes]Crow Braking[/link]
Old 12-13-2012, 03:40 PM
lcvmoreira

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.