Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 98 of 176 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 4385

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Izzy
    Did you ''glue'' with Silicon? That's OK.
    They should be fine, G loads full of fuel will not make a tank crack when It can't move.
    I don't like cable tie retainers, in small sizes they are not round when tight and can 'lift' the tube at the connection point. I use just another 5mm length of tygon as a grip, or since you are a hot country makbe a loop of lock wire.

Dave
    DAve thanks for the comments
    yes tanks glued with silicone
    actually i used the tie retainers only on the ends of the 2 saddle tans, and used wire loop retainers on the rest
    however i agree with you on the small tie retainers -
    question though , i used it as a back up to the face that i used the "barbs" supplied by CARF , and soldered them onto the 4mm copper tubes , and that seemed soooo hard to get on , and almost impossible to get off , and the ties retainers behind the barbs to make sure they dont slip off

now for some small comments from my point of view when i Built the model (this is my first Jet ) and found a lot of missing info from the manual

Tanks :
    the main tank calls for using spacer when placing the front tray that holds the main tank- yet till now i have no clue for what they wanted to use a 3mm spacer -
    also the exact position of the front of the tank was not clear - ( it mentions about 9-10mm from the cockpit opening) however noticed when fitting the actual cockpit - the top lip that slides into the slot to align the cockpit would touch the tank

saddle tanks - if i had to do it again , i think i would do away with the full bypass , the amount of work that went into playing around to get all to fit , was too much - and i think CARF need to maybe resize /reshape the tanks . they just dont fit , without cutting into the bypass joiner and its a pity , as i see this comment come up again and again

horizontal stab - plan ahead here - as the cutout for the servo wire needs to be as far away from the outer thrust tube ( guess how i know) mine exit close , but now i see i could have made them exit further away -

I want to thank all that have helped with input and advise - it great to know that there are friends willing to help
    izzy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89262.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	303.1 KB 
ID:	1844290  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks awesome, nice color swap! Her I'm curious if you guys are removing the horizontal stab for storage/transport, or do most just keep it on
    Call Sign blocked.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Leave the horizontal stabs on if at all possible.
    Regards,
    Gus
    AW Extra 260/ZDZ Super 80; Elan/K-100; GJC Viperjet/K-80; YA F-15C/K-140

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: izzy

Izzy
    They should be fine, G loads full of fuel will not make a tank crack when It can't move.
    I don't like cable tie retainers, in small sizes they are not round when tight and can 'lift' the tube at the connection point. I use just another 5mm length of tygon as a grip, or since you are a hot country makbe a loop of lock wire.

Dave
    actually i used the tie retainers only on the ends of the 2 saddle tans, and used wire loop retainers on the rest
    question though , i used it as a back up to the face that i used the ''barbs'' supplied by CARF , and soldered them onto the 4mm copper tubes , and that seemed soooo hard to get on , and almost impossible to get off , and the ties retainers behind the barbs to make sure they dont slip off

now for some small comments from my point of view when i Built the model (this is my first Jet ) and found a lot of missing info from the manual

Tanks :
    the main tank calls for using spacer when placing the front tray that holds the main tank- yet till now i have no clue for what they wanted to use a 3mm spacer -
    also the exact position of the front of the tank was not clear - ( it mentions about 9-10mm from the cockpit opening) however noticed when fitting the actual cockpit - the top lip that slides into the slot to align the cockpit would touch the tank

saddle tanks - if i had to do it again , i think i would do away with the full bypass , the amount of work that went into playing around to get all to fit , was too much - and i think CARF need to maybe resize /reshape the tanks . they just dont fit , without cutting into the bypass joiner and its a pity , as i see this comment come up again and again

horizontal stab - plan ahead here - as the cutout for the servo wire needs to be as far away from the outer thrust tube ( guess how i know) mine exit close , but now i see i could have made them exit further away -

I want to thank all that have helped with input and advise - it great to know that there are friends willing to help
    izzy
    Izzy

The Barbs do a good job of making the tube seal, I guess the cable tie behind is less of an issue than the many "lazy" builders who just put tygon onto the tube and use a cable tie to secure it! Trouble in waiting.

The spacer is to allow for the tanks expansion during its life and to ensure people done have the tank "snug" from new, as this can crack the fuselage as it expands. Once dry you remove the spacer and the tank can move around a little. As always tank weight was the reason the tank is not rock hard, they become quite heavy!!

The aeroplane was not intended for them and some at CARF didn't think they should be produced, but guys wanted more fuel/or smoke. Its something that if they had been designed at the time of the aeroplane they would integrate better...but the first Flashes did not have bypass set ups and it was not going to until I got involved. My Classic Flash was the first Flash with bypass to prove the system.

The tail, yes. Can't remember what the manual says, but the outer wall does not get too hot in normal use, I have a loop of velcro on the ele servo wires and a pad on the fuse, as I fit the tail I tack the wires clear.

Regards

Dave

I'd say 80% leave the tail on. depends on transport and storage.
    Motors & Rotors. JetCat, Powerbox, Intairco, Behotec, Graupner. CARF-models Rep. JR Propo for ever!, Jet 1A, MAP, Evojet, BVM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Dave,

Regarding your comment about the saddle tanks.

It appears to me that a lot of the tanks sits behind the CG. With all the fuel both hold wouldn't that have an effect on producing an aft cg problem when full?

I am going to use two 15-20 oz tanks for smoke oil. I can center those on the CG.

Aside from fitting the tanks in a very tight space that was my reason for not going with them.

I know you like to use the Bi-pass, but my comment here is that on my previous Flash which I flew for several years with a 120sx I never had any sort of heating or turbine problem as a result of not using one.

That is why I am not using one on my UF. Just trying to keep it simple.

Regards,

Stan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: izzy

Izzy

Dave
    question though , i used it as a back up to the face that i used the ''barbs'' supplied by CARF , and soldered them onto the 4mm copper tubes , and that seemed soooo hard to get on , and almost impossible to get off , and the ties retainers behind the barbs to make sure they dont slip off

Tanks :

izzy
    Izzy

The Barbs do a good job of making the tube seal, I guess the cable tie behind is less of an issue than the many ''lazy'' builders who just put tygon onto the tube and use a cable tie to secure it! Trouble in waiting.

The spacer is to allow for the tanks expansion during its life and to ensure people done have the tank ''snug'' from new, as this can crack the fuselage as it expands. Once dry you remove the spacer and the tank can move around a little. As always tank weight was the reason the tank is not rock hard, they become quite heavy!!

The aeroplane was not intended for them and some at CARF didn't think they should be produced, but guys wanted more fuel/or smoke. Its something that if they had been designed at the time of the aeroplane they would integrate better...but the first Flashes did not have bypass set ups and it was not going to until I got involved. My Classic Flash was the first Flash with bypass to prove the system.

The tail, yes. Can't remember what the manual says, but the outer wall does not get too hot in normal use, I have a loop of velcro on the ele servo wires and a pad on the fuse, as I fit the tail I tack the wires clear.

Regards

Dave

I'd say 80% leave the tail on. depends on transport and storage.
    Dave
    from what you said , i understand that there needs to be some play in the main tank and the bay it sits in ( it should be able to go up / down 3mm
    i placed a small piece of foam to stop the pay - as i was scared to have at least 2kg of fuel banging around
    remove sponge foam or not?
    today started the turbine for the first time - wow how much power !!! however , the UAT empties before the main tank did - will need to revisit this issue closer after some flights - i read here not to fly after the main tank is less than 1/4 full
    Izzy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You don't need the foam there, once the tank is full it expands pretty good and probably won't move much, I often find mine wedged in and have to free it up a bit.

Why would you not use the bypass, it helps seems to help a lot with the performance of the plane and also gives it a great sound!?

your probably emptying the back of the main tank which is why you start drawing air into the UAT, if the front is lower than 1/4 inch on the ground the back is empty, obviously this depends on your nose strut length but 1/4 inch is a good guide.

Kim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kim,

One of the reasons I will not use the bypass is I am going to use smoke in my current Flash. Aside from the fact that I do not want to spend 200 dollars on Carf tanks in that area I did not want to fight the installation that Izzy has mentioned in a previous post. The bypass will not let you use other tanks in that area.

Also my previous experience flying my other Flash with a 120sx gave me all the speed I needed without any problems for several years.

My new Flash has a KT 140G installed. I think I will have plenty of performance without the BP

Stan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I get you, I have the k140g in mine, radared at 265mph a few months ago with the bypass.

That turbine is one heck of a power plant!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stan

Balance with the saddle tanks is not an issue, the airframe will cope with some movement in flight, the standard tank setup sees the balance move back after the wing tank empties.
    I prefer the duct, but it flys just fine without, drag is slightly changed, but the original two prototype Flashes without the Duct flew fine back in May of 2006.

Izzy

Like Kim said you don't need the foam, the glass tank will expand, especially with your high ambient temps, it will stay "bloated" after a few sessions. I fly down to 18-20mm of fuel showing while sitting on the deck (stock CARF Gear) The softer springs probably allow a lower rear sit, when you get the heavier springs it will change again. I always fly less time on the first few flights with a new model-tanks and build up on time, like I have said before my flight routine avoids long verticals in the last 1/4 of a flight and I fly 9 minutes with a P-120SX, I do lots of off throttle flying and slow stuff. I rarely fly 'hair on fire' style, but I just reduce the flight time knowing I will have used more fuel when I do.

Regards

Dave

Motors & Rotors. JetCat, Powerbox, Intairco, Behotec, Graupner. CARF-models Rep. JR Propo for ever!, Jet 1A, MAP, Evojet, BVM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone placed skids at the bottom rear end of the plane under the stab
    I am worried about scraping the stan being too low on takeoff and even more worried about landing
    Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a single MAP replaceable skid in the tailplane bump/centre chine, mainly to keep the elevator horns clear of the deck as I transport it on a flat van floor.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a single MAP replaceable skid in the tailplane bump/centre chine, mainly to keep the elevator horns clear of the deck as I transport it on a flat van floor.

Dave
    Dave , thanks
    what i actually meant was if on landings ,due to high angle of attack , or due to trailing links with soft springs , would i need a skid at the back to protect the airfram / stab

thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Only if the landing has gone really wrong! I have seen thousands of Flash landings and don't remember a tail scrape

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sorry if this is redundant, but I'm only on page 35 of this thread. I have the Orange & always wanted the T-Bird scheme. Has anyone ever stripped/repainted a carf? can it be done (with the painted in mould process) & is it worth it with the flex hinges? Also, where are the droptanks??? This thing is toooooo pretty for no one to have installed some yet. Has it been done? if so, any templates of a good dowel installation spot for tank supports?
    Call Sign blocked.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Take a look at the Pinnacle Aviation threads. UF to an F20, very smart repainting by PHil Noel.

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In a busy week of CARF deliveries. we just had this colour swap UF. Interested to see what it looks like together

Dw
    Dave, do you have any more pics with this model? maybe assembled? this color swap has been calling my attention since i saw these pics !! I might just have to build a flash when im finish with the Hawk !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not started the build yet, but when I get the workshop area clear, I'll put it together and shoot some shots.
    This one is P-100RX powered, std JR 8411/Powerbox Sensor using the JR DMSS system.

regards

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Dave, a few pages back (around pg40ish probably a year ago) I think you said a P-140rx was the perfect match for the UF, Is this still your feelings? I have a NIB P-100 that I am considering returning & paying the difference for the 140, would that be wise? I live around sea level, but plan on traveling to fly at different locations across USA, & plan on installing drop tanks.
    Thanks, Jay
    Call Sign blocked.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BlueBus320

Hey Dave, a few pages back (around pg40ish probably a year ago) I think you said a P-140rx was the perfect match for the UF, Is this still your feelings? I have a NIB P-100 that I am considering returning & paying the difference for the 140, would that be wise? I live around sea level, but plan on traveling to fly at different locations across USA, & plan on installing drop tanks.
    Thanks, Jay
    Yes, I still think the P-140RX would be my ultimate choice. My P-120SX in the thread starter has been great and just a little more go would not harm it at all The P-80, P-90RXi and P-100RX all fly it fine, but you end up waiting for energy (large an under engined car and a long hill )

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lol, thanks Dave! P140 it is
    Call Sign blocked.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My new Ultra flash after week in my home is in the sky.......[8D]

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzdSK...=youtube_gdata

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx70956.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	1846799  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzdSKGfph8g&sns=em[/youtube]
    Shaul David good Luck my friend !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That lending :
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmWwcLkC0GE&sns=em[/youtube]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool

Keep the black covered when sitting in the sun, it gets real hot!

You running CROW on landing?

regards

Dw