Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Old 07-27-2014, 01:31 AM
levendis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents,

Have you ever felt the need to upgrade the fuel plumbing to larger diameters compared to the stock plumbing?

Secondly, for those using the Futaba 6014 rx with JR digital servos, do you run the RX in normal or highspeed mode?

Thanks.
L
Old 07-27-2014, 01:16 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Time to add some of my experiences with my new Ultra Flash. Unfortunately it wasn't all pretty but it has a happy ending!

First day out having a great time but landing from the third flight my new Cheetah got hung up at a high idle - 60,000rpm. I am too new at turbines to recognize this! All I knew is it wouldn't slow down! I tried brakes but it swung sideways, all the while disappearing down a very long runway. I tried to hold it down with elevator and the brakes again but it bounced on the rough (abandoned airfield) runway. When it came down the pin in the right main snapped and it spun sideways off the tarmac. Hitting the crumbling edge sideways the nose gear pin snapped too! Dear Lord!
Well took her home and patched the wingtip. CARF touch up paints and some elbow grease got it looking new again. FYI "Superfil" from Aircraft Spruce And Specialties is the bomb! It says "Bondo For Airplanes" on the package and it is. My USA Carf Rep Andy Kane turned me on to that wonderful stuff. Key point: I also redid the flap linkage servo arm geometry to get 100mm of flaps. Before I only had about 75mm. This is a lot more drag. I am not using crow.

Second day out we all realized the Cheetah was getting stuck at 60'000 rpm in idle. Not all the time mind you but on the second flight of the day it did. Advice given was to kill it prior to landing but I wanted to know what was happening. So I got her down and stopped with some effort and we saw the high rpm. Normal would be 35,000. I called my Jet Central Rep and was advised to redo the setup, I redid it with some different Tx values and the third flight went great!
Well, starting up for a fourth flight I noticed my right elevator half was waving to me! After shutdown I saw that the elevator halves were not moving together. Something wrong with the servo? Back to the workshop! Not again!
Turns out the servo lead was smashed between the outer cool thrust tube and the top of the stab, it was shorting out against the tube... My fault I guess, I had simply run it across the top of the stab, taped in place with aluminum tape. So I rerouted a new servo lead internally. I dunno why I did it the way I did it first time around but beware! On my UF the cool tube presses hard enough against the stab that it dented it, and of course the servo lead got pinched there!

Well, the third day out was the charm. My UF flies well and I got to play with smoke for the first time in my modeling career. Did 6 flights total and couldn't be happier. Contractors Form Oil and, Powerbox pump, and a Tamjets tube put out a pretty awesome thick trail for this fast ship! Luck I still have it Now for a couple hundred uneventful flights, please, I have earned them!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3430.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	2017800  
Old 07-27-2014, 01:46 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Congrats! They always seem to fly better after they get "beat up" a little.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

L
No, the stock plumbing is fine-maybe the fuel clunk actually, latest kits have small hole felt inners either drill out to 2.7mm or change to one of our high flow units.
other than that we are running 180's with it

D
Old 07-27-2014, 10:59 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by levendis
Gents,

Have you ever felt the need to upgrade the fuel plumbing to larger diameters compared to the stock plumbing?

Secondly, for those using the Futaba 6014 rx with JR digital servos, do you run the RX in normal or highspeed mode?

Thanks.
L
Dave answered the first question. I'll answer the second. I have used the 6014 Rx with all JR digitalis and did not feel the need to run at high speed. Normal mode was very fast. This was on my classic flash. I'm building an UF which will have a Jeti Rx with JR 8411s all around.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:24 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally got around to adding the black accents to the top of my UF. Here it is if anyone else was curious what it would look like. I think it jazzes up the stock red with minimal weight gain. Similar to the newer schemes

Name:	IMG_1991.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	4.88 MB
ID:	2018422   Click image for larger version

Name:	UF smaller blkTop.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	2018423  
Old 07-30-2014, 12:32 AM
gixer47

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guy's, another flash hit the air for a maiden on Sunday.
Flew as expected , straight as an arrow
I think you'll be hard to find an easier building and better flying jet anywhere.
Thanking everyone and Dave W for there input in this thread which made the build and setup very easy.
Hardest part was getting through 170 pages just to make sure I had everything covered.
Here's some pic's
Cheers
Pete

Just one question, What's the best glue for the rudder linkage cover?

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	2018534   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	2018535   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1491
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	2018536   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	2018537   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	517
Size:	4.69 MB
ID:	2018538  
Old 07-30-2014, 06:00 AM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

BlueBus, the black really makes that scheme POP. Great job.

Pete, that's just a super clean installation and an awesome example of a UF. NICE!
Old 07-30-2014, 06:16 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchilito
BlueBus, the black really makes that scheme POP. Great job.

Pete, that's just a super clean installation and an awesome example of a UF. NICE!
Thanks, can't wait to take her out & get some inflight pics with the drop tanks, I think I'm really going to like it though. Hi vis scheme! Too bad it's not available anymore
Old 07-30-2014, 06:28 AM
levendis

Originally Posted by DrV
Dave answered the first question. I'll answer the second. I have used the 6014 Rx with all JR digitalis and did not feel the need to run at high speed. Normal mode was very fast. This was on my classic flash. I'm building an UF which will have a Jeti Rx with JR 8411s all around.
DW and DrV, thanks for the insights!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:39 AM
husafreak

Dunno what the best glue is but if I did mine I would try the Pacer Canopy Glue. You can wipe off any excess with repeated water wipes and it will dry crystal clear. It could also be removed with gentle prying if ever necessary.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 PM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
Thanks, can't wait to take her out & get some inflight pics with the drop tanks, I think I'm really going to like it though. Hi vis scheme! Too bad it's not available anymore
You can still order this scheme as a customer scheme....

Dave
Old 08-04-2014, 04:44 PM
vic669

Dave

I know you always say the Ultra does not need crow but is there any adverse effects to having crow?

I have crow on my Ultra and I notice that when I slow it down with full flap and crow, it tends to really drop the nose in the turns. It then takes a lot of elevator to correct it. Straight and level it is fine.

I did not notice this on my classic flash. With the classic I could drag it around the sky nice and slow with full flap and crow.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 PM
andretorres89
My Feedback: (1)

What you guys using to hold your batteries down and tight? I got commercial Velcro on the batteries and the side walls of the fuse but it's not secured to my taste just yet.

Just wanted to to know what everyone else is doing
Old 08-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by vic669
Dave

I know you always say the Ultra does not need crow but is there any adverse effects to having crow?

I have crow on my Ultra and I notice that when I slow it down with full flap and crow, it tends to really drop the nose in the turns. It then takes a lot of elevator to correct it. Straight and level it is fine.

I did not notice this on my classic flash. With the classic I could drag it around the sky nice and slow with full flap and crow.
Sorry missed this while in Germany.
There are two affects, changing the relative angle of attack between the root and tip and drag/lift reduction.
The Ultra Flash has much more flap than the Classic Flash, so I don't see the need for drag from crow and the affect I don't like that I have experience on all the UF models I have flown with crow is the sudden loss of lift if you hold it off.
Because we don't fly in them and have accurate instruments giving us speeds that test pilots have said are the magic numbers to do each important stage at it comes down to how the pilot controls the aeroplane and its landing phase. Ali gets on fine with crow and other pilots too, my group all don't use crow and again get on fine without it.

Dropping the nose in turns sounds more like nose heavy, unless you are flying it really slowly with lots of flap and crow...dragging it around. Most crow set ups use a lot less flap, so its still producing some lift. What flap angle do you have and what crow.

Hope that helps

Dave
Old 08-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by andretorres89
What you guys using to hold your batteries down and tight? I got commercial Velcro on the batteries and the side walls of the fuse but it's not secured to my taste just yet.

Just wanted to to know what everyone else is doing
Just HD velcro on all my models. I line the bottom of the battery pockets in rough and cover the lower edge and side on the battery with "fluffy"

Dave
Old 08-05-2014, 01:42 PM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

The use of crow has advantages and disadvantages IMO. I know DW doesn't agree but I can say without a doubt that it tamed my UF considerably with regard to low speed wing drop. This is not in question in the case of my UF - it is a plane fact. Because of this I will NOT fly my UF without crow. However, I don't like what it does to the flare phase of landing. Without crow I could grease my UF on pretty much every time. Now with crow for some reason I just can't get that perfect flare. As DW says, it tends to want to drop out on me and I wind up making landings more solid that I'd like.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:08 PM
PlaneKiller1

Another UF to go up this Friday wish me luck a month turnaround since my classic broke up mid flight
thanks to some great friends and carf they got me up and flying in a month so here are some pics for you to rejoice on
Old 08-06-2014, 07:17 PM
PlaneKiller1

Here ya go

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2020654   Click image for larger version

Views:	145
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2020655   Click image for larger version

Views:	151
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	2020656   Click image for larger version

Views:	130
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2020657   Click image for larger version

Views:	147
Size:	960.9 KB
ID:	2020658   Click image for larger version

Views:	141
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2020659   Click image for larger version

Views:	183
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2020660   Click image for larger version

Views:	180
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2020661  

Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 PM
PlaneKiller1

Some things to watch out for are the incomplete seams aka two last photos I filled them with some hysol now they are good as new
Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 PM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So waft happened to your classic????
Old 08-06-2014, 09:06 PM
PlaneKiller1

My first landing was horrible fractured the stab
after the main gear leg snapped and flew back then It slid down the runway on the wingtip
I fixed all the above and have about 20 great flights while I was practicing for my waiver got my waiver and flew the crap out of the flash
loved it and still do. At a rally I was doing a smoke pass went vertical to get it as light as possible for landing meaning running the saddle tanks dry as they are used for smoke
I then did a full speed pass from high alttitude and the plane dipped I pulled up and the left wing flew off and it went into a wild spin ending up with it on the ground in 3 big peices... Nothing was broken thank god just 2 stripped servos and the pilot having some brown in his pants lol sent the turbine back and servos to be checked all back and I'm ready for this Friday to maiden my amazing new Flash making it just 4 weeks from splash to blast
kurt
Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Dave Wilshere

One of several BA Ultra Flashes coming to the UK.
P-140Rxi in this one

Name:	DSC_0739.JPG
Views:	526
Size:	493.7 KB
ID:	2020724  
Old 08-07-2014, 09:31 AM
PlaneKiller1

Same scheme as my classic it's really nice
the green is frowning on me everyday though
Kurt
Old 08-08-2014, 05:23 PM
husafreak

Gotta admit I haven't used Crow yet in my jets. But in my gliders (slope racing and hotliners) it is the only way to get them down! One thing I know is I do not like the way my gliders handle with a lot of up aileron crow, it is for landing, I need the drag, period. In the jet community I see Crow is very popular but I am surprised by the great difference in the amounts used by different modelers. For some 5mm of Crow is about it, to me that sounds reasonable, the crow will modify the airfoil camber, act as washout, and force the outer wing to stall last, allowing the pilot positive aileron control at a slightly higher angle of attack to touchdown. Large amounts of Crow would appear to me to act more like spoilers. Like in my gliders. Now you are really killing the lift on the outboard wing and will be reducing aileron effectiveness. This is opposite of washout. So I do not know where the line is and probably won't do the testing to find out. But if I were to use some crow it would be to enhance aileron effectiveness and overall wing airfoil "forgiveness" and not purely for gobs of drag, I would use a small amount of crow, not "spoilers".

Last edited by husafreak; 08-08-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.