Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:15 PM
WimB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey SR117,

Not to distract from a thread on the Flash, but to answer your question on the Scorpion: I absolutely love it. no vices, goes slow very well. don't expect it to go very fast (unlike the Flash), véry draggy airframe, thick wing, and the way the inlets are designed make it slower as well. Mine is from the earlier production, so finish is not top, but the newer production is much better finished. Also, because the main gear is in the fuse and not on the wings, it can take an enormous amount of abuse. Mine is the "medium", powered by a 15kg Graupner Booster. on takeoff, it accelerates like it's been bitten in the a**.....I mostly cruise around at half throttle.. On landings I lower the gear and set half flaps on the base leg, full flaps on turn to final, and then I pull the airbrake on final.... glides in nose high, and on a long field you can do wheelies forever. just make sure you have enough throw on the elevators to flare, as the flaps mask part of the elevator when full down. This apparently is much less the case on the big Scorpion.

Dub, thx for the feedback... I would also like to set it up like with the saddle tanks for fuel... I'd have to see the original tanks first of course, but the jet-tech tanks seem a very nice addition.....

Dave, I think it's mostly my eyes.... ;-)

Wim
Old 04-01-2016, 09:17 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wim, I have the UF with a JM 140x. The plane can fly slow very easily. I can get it to slow down to about 50 MPH (80kph). Maybe even slower but I'm not brave enough. You will have no regrets if you get the UF.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ULTRA FLASH SUN 098.JPG
Views:	629
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2155486   Click image for larger version

Name:	ULTRA FLASH SUN 099.JPG
Views:	734
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	2155487   Click image for larger version

Name:	ULTRA FLASH SUN 110.JPG
Views:	630
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2155488   Click image for larger version

Name:	ULTRA FLASH SUN 113.JPG
Views:	643
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2155489   Click image for larger version

Name:	ULTRA FLASH SUN 114.JPG
Views:	638
Size:	754.8 KB
ID:	2155490  

Last edited by DrV; 04-01-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:17 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My repaired UF in flight, please watch in HD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTVLCJ0hdDM
Old 04-05-2016, 04:21 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

New UF test flight. Well it flew. Very little trim required. Accelerates like a rocket. The only issues are it snapped out of a split S and drops a wing on landing. I think the cg is most likely a little too forward. I moved the batteries back a little but didnt get a chance to fly again. Any ideas about a forward cg causing the snap and wing drop?
Old 04-05-2016, 04:33 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not expect fwd CG to cause that. Rearward could cause that. Are your elevators and flaps symmetric?
Old 04-05-2016, 07:23 PM
DrV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CG of 225-230mm works very well for me. I have never had mine snap or drop a wing. Check to make sure the flaps are symmetric and each side of elevator works symmetrically when going up and down without delay as suggested by dbsonic
Old 04-06-2016, 12:38 AM
phantom_najd

Originally Posted by tp777fo
New UF test flight. Well it flew. Very little trim required. Accelerates like a rocket. The only issues are it snapped out of a split S and drops a wing on landing. I think the cg is most likely a little too forward. I moved the batteries back a little but didnt get a chance to fly again. Any ideas about a forward cg causing the snap and wing drop?
Did you adjust the CG with the gears up? I remember it was very easy (because of the gear up); all I had to do was to tape a triangle piece of wood to the plane at the CG location and place the plane on the table.

Azzam

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	2156145  
Old 04-06-2016, 06:37 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Definitely a serious setup issue.
sounds like rear CG.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:11 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That has happened a few times throughout this thread. Post 1981 on page 80 has a pretty good video of it. I added crow to mine (not much), & it never happened to me again. I think the UF may require a slightly different landing technique than say a Bandit. I think you don't have to hold it off for so long to avoid the jet bounce.. But just my theory.
Good luck, Jay
Old 04-06-2016, 10:56 AM
tp777fo

I rebalanced with gear up. CG was about 12mm forward or recomended range with gear down as compared to with gear up. CG now 222 from front of wing/fuse joint line with gear up. Should make a much better landing jet.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

222 is still nose heavy for most people, the sweet spot for many is 225-230mm. depends how your balancing it too...I'd never trust an electronic gimmick

Still say the UF does not need CROW, test flown a few more in the last couple of months and they land sweetly and predictably-you can hold them off nicely.

Trouble is there is such a variation in flying weights and conditions we fly in on a international forum.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 PM
ahmad520

Well, I think the comment from Phantom_Najd very wise
Balancing the CG with gear up

Good luck
Old 04-06-2016, 10:42 PM
Dave Wilshere

Gear up/down, if the balance was that critical we would be in trouble. Since its the landing phase people are concerned about and usually the gear is down to land...i'd balance it like that ;-)
Old 04-06-2016, 10:51 PM
phantom_najd

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Gear up/down, if the balance was that critical we would be in trouble. Since its the landing phase people are concerned about and usually the gear is down to land...i'd balance it like that ;-)
I couldn't agree more. However, the manual calls for the CG range with the gears up so obviously when you balance with the gear down you won't get on the sweet spot. Just an observation cuz I remember reading the note more than once and asking previous ultraflash owners to confirm it. Back to the crow setting Dave, I agree that the plane slows down beautifully without crow on normal settings, but with a slightly heavier plane powered by 140N class turbine and on a very calm day it could be a bit of challenge to slow down (don't ask me how I know that ). I put the crow mix on a switch for when I need it. Happy flying.

Azzam
Old 04-06-2016, 11:23 PM
ahmad520

Wish you best fly tp777fo

Last edited by ahmad520; 04-06-2016 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Nice
Old 04-07-2016, 02:41 AM
tp777fo

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas. I have been doing this model thing for over 50 years and still learn from smart guys around the world. I had originally balanced gear down as that was what I was taught. I was surprised by the change in cg with the gear up/down. The test flights went well except for the snap/roll off but I was a bit surprised by the amount of trim required after the gear was down. I have Electron retracts and they are pretty "hefty" which causes a lot of weight to swing around during retraction/extension. I was taught many years ago by some guys who had been flying models over 50 years...(yeah, I know that makes me an official "old fart") Nose heavy airplanes fly poorly - tail heavy airplanes fly once. They also taught me that a airplane that is excessively nose heavy is prone to snapping out of a loop and dropping a wing during landing. I have been studying this very subject on the SkyMaster F-4 (my next project). Nose heavy jets have lots of problems such as long takeoff rolls then jumping off the ground during takeoff, diving with flaps and other nasty things. The guys who have the balls to move the cg back have now found the jet flys best with the cg 50 - 90 mm back from the original manufactures recommendation. BV recommended cg's for his products are slightly nose heavy. He does this to help ensure success on the test flights which allows us to move the cg back to one which is comfortable for the pilot. (See my previous statement on nose vs. tail heaviness). I have really been careful on this Flash..even with all my experience I have dorked 2. The first one on the 4th flight (which I believe was too nose heavy as it rolled off on landing just like this one) and #2 which I just plain "dumb thumbed". I'll give an update after I fly again on Sunday, 20-30 kt winds forecast in South Carolina for the next 2-3 days.

Last edited by tp777fo; 04-07-2016 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:20 AM
BlueBus320

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas. I have been doing this model thing for over 50 years and still learn from smart guys around the world. I had originally balanced gear up as that was what I was taught. I was surprised by the change in cg with the gear up/down. The test flights went well except for the snap/roll off but I was a bit surprised by the amount of trim required after the gear was down. I have Electron retracts and they are pretty "hefty" which causes a lot of weight to swing around during retraction/extension. I was taught many years ago by some guys who had been flying models over 50 years...(yeah, I know that makes me an official "old fart") Nose heavy airplanes fly poorly - tail heavy airplanes fly once. They also taught me that a airplane that is excessively nose heavy is prone to snapping out of a loop and dropping a wing during landing. I have been studying this very subject on the SkyMaster F-4 (my next project). Nose heavy jets have lots of problems such as long takeoff rolls then jumping off the ground during takeoff, diving with flaps and other nasty things. The guys who have the balls to move the cg back have now found the jet flys best with the cg 50 - 90 mm back from the original manufactures recommendation. BV recommended cg's for his products are slightly nose heavy. He does this to help ensure success on the test flights which allows us to move the cg back to one which is comfortable for the pilot. (See my previous statement on nose vs. tail heaviness). I have really been careful on this Flash..even with all my experience I have dorked 2. The first one on the 4th flight (which I believe was too nose heavy as it rolled off on landing just like this one) and #2 which I just plain "dumb thumbed". I'll give an update after I fly again on Sunday, 20-30 kt winds forecast in South Carolina for the next 2-3 days.
Nice info here! Just to be clear, the reason why I added the washout was not to help slow the aircraft down, but because the ailerons facing up changes the chord line at the tips & forms a mechanical washout. So whatever the speed that the wing tip stalls & falls without the washout, should be reduced with it. My cg was adjusted from factory's as Dave said.
Good Luck! Jay

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2156251  
Old 04-07-2016, 03:47 AM
tp777fo

DBSonic..there are two different symptoms of nose vs tail heavy takeoffs. A nose heavy jet requires a lot of speed to rotate and when the elevator becomes effective it will just jump with a high rate of climb. The elevator is effective after you are airborne due to the higher speed. A tail heavy takeoff will begin to rotate early (before real flying speed) then stall or roll of with the nose up, elevator has little effectiveness in the nose down position. In the real jet world an Airbus has a "forward cg" chart. When the cg is forward of a certain point we have to factor in a weight penalty to artifically increase thrust compared from the normal weight takeoff thrust. We also have to add a few knots to the V speeds to allow for more elevator effectiveness to get the plane to rotate properly. We normally try to fly with the cg in the mid to aft range for efficiency and performance. Ok guys go ahead an beat up the bus, I have thick skin and 15 years on FiFi. I have also flown numerous Boeing jets which are good jets too, just a different design. The big difference is I eat lunch from a tray and Boeing guys eat from their lap.

Bluebus. I agree on crow, it reduces the angle of attack at the tip and forces the stall to progress from the root to the tip, the secret to a successful slow flying airplane. For the guys who still dont believe just look at an F-15 from the side, it has a huge amount of washout to increase stability at slow speed, crow does the same thing on a wing without washout. I guess from your name you are a JetBlue guy? I've got 15 yrs on Fifi at UA, a professional f/o. I really enjoy putting my feet on the footrests, folding my arms and telling the Cap..."your decision boss". I also dont work weekends, nights and holidays by staying in the right seat.

Last edited by tp777fo; 04-07-2016 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:53 AM
Dave Wilshere

See, I wrote the UF Manual addendum and did not say gear up or down :-) But I always check it gear down. Obviously changing the gear/leg type will change things, the Behotec nose leg and wheel is quite light weight, the manual can't cover for other peoples choices...

The curved wing tips on the UF already do the job of a slightly raised aileron, so raising it more just dumps lift. I'm sure that I have flown more UF models than anyone alive...pretty certain on that, maybe 50 different models-so as far as set ups go I think I have a good idea on what the model needs.

But, that all said different thumbs and brain-thumb combos might need something different to convince them, when I set up for a customer I tailor the settings to suit the owner...cause he has to fly it most, no me :-)

Dave
Old 04-07-2016, 04:14 AM
tp777fo

Dave, I originally balanced gear down as it was what I was taught, but when I read the manual yesterday (yeah I know, I should have read it a little earlier) the UF addendum I have states gear up. My Flash #2 landed very slowly without crow and I dont have crow in this one. I believe in solving one problem at a time. I might try crow after I get the cg where I like it just to see what it does. I have a FB Dolphin that loves crow...different jets and different problems require different solutions. Thanks for your input, I very much value your experience with this jet...thats why I asked. You ARE the Flashmaster!
Old 04-07-2016, 04:48 AM
BlueBus320

DBSonic..there are two different symptoms of nose vs tail heavy takeoffs. A nose heavy jet requires a lot of speed to rotate and when the elevator becomes effective it will just jump with a high rate of climb. The elevator is effective after you are airborne due to the higher speed. A tail heavy takeoff will begin to rotate early (before real flying speed) then stall or roll of with the nose up, elevator has little effectiveness in the nose down position. In the real jet world an Airbus has a "forward cg" chart. When the cg is forward of a certain point we have to factor in a weight penalty to artifically increase thrust compared from the normal weight takeoff thrust. We also have to add a few knots to the V speeds to allow for more elevator effectiveness to get the plane to rotate properly. We normally try to fly with the cg in the mid to aft range for efficiency and performance. Ok guys go ahead an beat up the bus, I have thick skin and 15 years on FiFi. I have also flown numerous Boeing jets which are good jets too, just a different design. The big difference is I eat lunch from a tray and Boeing guys eat from their lap.

Bluebus. I agree on crow, it reduces the angle of attack at the tip and forces the stall to progress from the root to the tip, the secret to a successful slow flying airplane. For the guys who still dont believe just look at an F-15 from the side, it has a huge amount of washout to increase stability at slow speed, crow does the same thing on a wing without washout. I guess from your name you are a JetBlue guy? I've got 15 yrs on Fifi at UA, a professional f/o. I really enjoy putting my feet on the footrests, folding my arms and telling the Cap..."your decision boss". I also dont work weekends, nights and holidays by staying in the right seat.
Lol yep, jetBlue guy. I get right seat = quality of life! I'll be left seat reserve for my foreseeable future..lol. Good thing I'm close to the airport

Dave, I've never heard of the wing tips turning up assisting with washout. I thought they were a form of sharklet that stopped the high pressure on the bottom of the wing from moving up the tips to find the low pressure on top (high seeks low). There for reducing drag from wingtip vortices making it faster & more fuel efficient. I've only flown 1 UF though, & I'm sure you have forgotten more about this plane than I will ever know..lol. But it seemed to like to drop a wing in the flare until I added the mechanic washout (aka crow).

Last edited by BlueBus320; 04-07-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:50 AM
Dave Wilshere

Here is a screen shot of CARF's web site manual on the UF...nothing about gear up or down!?

Jay

Normal end plates yes, but if you look at the UF tip it is not just a shark fin-or end cap, it washes out (up slightly)

Dave

Name:	DSC_2072.JPG
Views:	638
Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	2156257  
Old 04-07-2016, 05:50 AM
tp777fo

If you ever fly with Ken Garrison ask him how he lost his boots.....then run! He will know a lot of scoop on me just dont believe any of it.

Last edited by tp777fo; 04-07-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:21 AM
BlueBus320

Here is a screen shot of CARF's web site manual on the UF...nothing about gear up or down!?

Jay

Normal end plates yes, but if you look at the UF tip it is not just a shark fin-or end cap, it washes out (up slightly)

Dave
Thanks Dave, that's awesome. I've never realized that.
Jay
Old 04-07-2016, 10:02 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Jay

Dave
Sorry Dave

Name:	flash CG.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	615.4 KB
ID:	2156274  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.