Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Old 04-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Jame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely sounds more like a rearward CG for it snap out of the Split S and on Landing, I have test flown one that was very nose heavy and the only issue with it was the dreaded bounce on landing. I had mine at 240mm with the gear up with about 0.5" of fuel in the main tank and it was lovely to fly and land. It snapped on me once as I had pulled all of the speed out of it during a spiral (Ali A10) landing. Like Dave says, the CG shouldn't be massively affected by the Nose Leg retracting, I balanced mine with the gear up just to be sure as I knew I was going another 5mm back from the recommended and didn't want to find it was the last straw.

I think the Crow aspect comes from the Classic Flash, 6mm of Crow for me aided the nose high approach needed to slow it down, the Ultra is a different kettle of fish I found, requires more holding off than dragging in nose high. Just make sure you get off the throttle long before you think you should and it'll just glide on, CG at 235mm will slow down to a rediculously slow pace before touching down if you want it to.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:32 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone been successful at installing the gear leg covers on Dreamworks gear?

I'm scratching my head on this one - will likely just leave off. Too much unsupported if just attached to the upper leg.

PaulD
Old 04-19-2016, 03:16 AM
Canadian Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 205 Likes on 145 Posts

I was going to attempt to install them to my DW gear but had the same feeling as you Paul.
Not worth the struggle in my opinion.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:35 PM
SR117

Paul...some images of the attachments for the Prolinks so you can put the covers on. Not sure if the struts are dream works...as I said...one of the guys I was flying with said they are the same..... I had not put the covers on yet as I wanted to test fly and get comfortable first.

The attachement is in two pieces so the door/piece can come off if put under too much stress...
The part on the leg attaches nicely. allows you to put an air or wire down through it and is held in place...nicer than my cable tie...which was a temp fix on the weekend after I removed a wheel to check and had to cut the heatshrink I had on there off.

I had not got to trying the covers as unfortunately a delaminated elevator during my 5th flight stopped that process....
Caused an inverted snap...an "oh cr_p!!!" moment...but got it down in one peice.
I should have noticed the elevator was just clipping the stab....Thought it was my horns as the issue but further investigation showed the elevator was clipping the stab...
A "newbee" lesson for me.. having a few of those...

Pitty as all the reports on how nice to fly the plane is were true...very nice.
new stab, some scratch repairs ( from a difficult landing) and she will be back in the air....
And of course a slight sanding on the elveators to make sure they cannot clip....
Very nice aircraft to fly though.. still very happy..would buy another if this one didnt come back.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	924.0 KB
ID:	2158295   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	944.9 KB
ID:	2158296   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	991.5 KB
ID:	2158297   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.JPG
Views:	629
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2158298  
Old 04-20-2016, 10:59 PM
PaulD

sR117 - - thanks for then rest pics. The Prolinks I have are Dreamworks gear so I think we're taking the same thing. I'll see if I can make it work in a similar fashion.

cheers,

PaulD
Old 04-20-2016, 11:01 PM
PaulD

So another question I have is did the pocket covers for the struts change with the different wing with the UF? Mine are too tall for the flanges to sit on the rails in the wing and the cover bottoms in the hole on the top surface of the wing before the flanges "seat"? Am I missing something?

PaulD
Old 04-21-2016, 12:34 AM
SR117

I didnt use the pocket covers..mine were also too tall..didnt use them
Old 04-21-2016, 05:20 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The covers are only cosmetic, I run without them, cant tell any difference in flight
Old 04-21-2016, 06:55 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 732 Likes on 528 Posts

They are from the original Classic Flash which has a thicker wing.
If you sand off the bottom so it glues to the wing skin it works, but not needed

Dave
Old 04-24-2016, 01:47 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Finally! Just as Dave said,cg 230mm from wing fuse joint but, I added 3mm crow with full flaps. Slows to a stop and no sign of wing drop.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:49 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Dave, how much flap travel (with crow) do you recommend to UF for slowest landing speeds?
also any tips on crow programming for 18MZ?
thanks.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:24 AM
Dave Wilshere

I still don't recommend any CROW, its was just the balance point. If you want to use CROW for the 'mind state' then the small 3mm amount mentioned does little harm. Flap amount comes down to throttle control and elevator 'feel' I like lots of drag and use the throttle and my eyes to gauge the speed. Most people land the UF way faster than needed, so bounce. But with good feel on the sticks you can land fast or slow and still grease it!!

Most of the UF's I set up have 95mm of flap, if you add 3mm crow that's still a valid flap amount.

Dave
Old 04-25-2016, 03:59 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you Dave, always a pleasure reading your elaborated responses.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:56 AM
Dave Wilshere

People take basic advice and act without thought ;-)
Old 04-28-2016, 12:38 AM
FMRR

Greetings to all. I just finished reading all 204 pages of this post, whewww ! Like to thank everyone for sharing there operational experience and opinions. Special thanks Dave Wilshire. I have one ordered through Dreamworks that should be arriving in a week or two with electric Pro link gear and brakes. Will order complete set of Jet Tech fuel tanks. Looking forward to joining your club. Really have no questions, everything seams to been asked and answered. I am concerned about the QC issues that came up in the middle of this blog, hope it has all been sorted out at this point. Gentleman that tested the main tank and found the air pocket trapped behind the internal baffle, just like to say that was a great catch ! I do have one question. Those who have read through this blog the way I have may have an answer. The two gentleman that drilled holes in the rear tail cone in theory to increase pipe cooling airflow and reduce internal drag. With the pool of talent here what are your thoughts on that modification. I would think if effective without adverse effects would end the debate to bypass or not ? Was surprised there wasn't more discussion on the subject when it was mention way back in this blog. At first glance seams feasible. Like to know what everyone thinks about it. Looking forward to my jet arriving, Cheers.😉
Old 04-28-2016, 01:31 AM
Dave Wilshere

No additional holes are needed if the tailpipe and ducting is done as per the manual :-)

Welcome aboard!
Old 04-28-2016, 02:13 AM
FMRR

Hi Dave nice to meet you, thanks for the greeting and quick response. So you feel there are no advantages or improvemental that merit this modification....makes good table talk I think. Btw I chose the McLaren paint scheme
Old 04-28-2016, 04:26 AM
Dave Wilshere

None as long as the tailpipe is assembled as supplied and the ducts are cut in the lower fuselage to supply cool air to the outer tube inlet. The turbine running draws air through the pipe-cooling it.

Keep it covered in the sun! The black paint gets very hot, so sun shade or model cover...
Old 04-28-2016, 06:17 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys I was thinking about starting an U-Flash project with a 140 or a Avanti S with a smaller can 160. Any of you Flash Jocks with Avanti S experience, care to make an observation, to compare the two? I know the Flash is going to be faster! But I've flown the smaller Avanti and was sort of amazed at the handling and feel - so it's been on my mind as an option.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:10 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Originally Posted by Eddie P
Hi guys I was thinking about starting an U-Flash project with a 140 or a Avanti S with a smaller can 160. Any of you Flash Jocks with Avanti S experience, care to make an observation, to compare the two? I know the Flash is going to be faster! But I've flown the smaller Avanti and was sort of amazed at the handling and feel - so it's been on my mind as an option.

I guess it depends on what flying style you are looking for?? To me, the UF and avanti S are in two different worlds in regards to how they fly. However, I've never flown an avanti S so I can't compare. I will say you can't at all go wrong with an UF. Flys on rails, insanely fast, holds perfect knife edge, lands slow, what more could you want? It's the only jet I've always had in my hanger and never sold And if it means anything, there are 6 at my field alone..

Last edited by txshan130; 04-29-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:34 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Appreciate the thoughts. Agree, they are way different - one is a precise pattern jet by all accounts (with 3d capability) and the UF is a really cool jet that has more speed and "fly it like you stole it" potential I guess. Just was not sure if any UF or Classic Flash guys also had Avanti Jets so thought I'd ask. I've never flown a Flash but I have flown the Avanti types. I really like the Flash though by the look and performance of them in flight.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:54 AM
Steve N.

Well it's finally time to jump on the band wagon... The slow boat from Thailand finally docked a couple of days ago, and my Ultra Flash is being shipped out from Florida this morning.
A HUGE thanks goes out to Dave Wilshere (and all the others) who have contributed so much information, advice and experience to this tread.

And by the way... Dave mentioned some time back that he accesses his email about 18 hours a day. He really does. Awesome response time.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:14 AM
Dave Wilshere

Steve welcome to the Flash team, certainly the worlds most popular Sports jet.
When the questions start...fire away

Dave
Old 05-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Steve N.

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Steve welcome to the Flash team, certainly the worlds most popular Sports jet.
When the questions start...fire away

Dave
Thanks Dave. Although there is a ton of info here, my instant recall of 204 pages isn't the best. I'm sure I might have a Q or 2.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:45 PM
PaulD

Well Stevo,

its about time that damn thing made its way into your hands. Maybe see if fly at Princeton in Sept?

Looking forward to flying ours together.

Cheers,

PaulD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.