Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Old 08-21-2016, 04:35 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
Hi Guys.
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a new UF. I have been reading this thread and the thought of gear problems....hanging in the well does not appeal to me. I am a firm believer that a good flight starts in the shop so its important to have proper clearances and such. With that said there seems to a lot of variation between retracts and struts being used. I don't want to re-engineer the wing to get gear to fit. Is there anything truly drop in for this plane? It seems that the Behotec C36/2 may be the way to go but I don't see these offered on the CARF website. Attached is a picture of their current offering. Those wheels look hideous! I don't know who manufactures this retract package. They look to be stamped CARF. Your comments are appreciated!
Good to see you Major!
Thos gear are Airtech and they are Fugly.
i would use Electron UF set - they are great, and electrics - super easy.
all of them would hang on the well if not spaced right from the mount - you are right though that once you set them up properly on the bench, you never worry about it again.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:46 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks! Its good to be seen! Are the Electron the electric gear that Dreamworks sells or something else?
Thanks!
Old 08-21-2016, 04:47 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks! Its good to be seen! Are the Electron the electric gear that Dreamworks sells or something else?
Thanks!
These are the electrons:
http://www.xicoy.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=456

We have a lot of these locally, they are really good!
there are even cheaper good electric gears on the market for a good price if you like.

On my UF im using stock struts and wheels with this electric set - CYS R2090:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3PC-Set-CYS-...wAAOSwxcRW~Jt7

They work very well.

Last edited by i3dm; 08-21-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:05 AM
737Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm using the pro-links with electric brake and they work great! Easy to install, minor dremeling to widen the main gear mounts, and they look nice with the Interico wheels

heres the link from Dreamworks

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...Gear-Combo-Pro
Old 08-21-2016, 08:17 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Guys.
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a new UF. I have been reading this thread and the thought of gear problems....hanging in the well does not appeal to me. I am a firm believer that a good flight starts in the shop so its important to have proper clearances and such. With that said there seems to a lot of variation between retracts and struts being used. I don't want to re-engineer the wing to get gear to fit. Is there anything truly drop in for this plane? It seems that the Behotec C36/2 may be the way to go but I don't see these offered on the CARF website. Attached is a picture of their current offering. Those wheels look hideous! I don't know who manufactures this retract package. They look to be stamped CARF. Your comments are appreciated!
The first time you roll a tire off the rim on take off and have to land on the rim you will wish you had a set of the Hi-speed wheels - I use electron electric retracts with the Air-Tech Hi-speed wheels ......no issues
Old 08-21-2016, 08:23 AM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys...

Looking for a bypass if anyone is not using theirs. Just need the top (removeable) half and would be happy to pay for shipping. Had a very nice gent from Canafa offer one up but would prefer to try and find one here in the US if possible :-)

Thx in advance...
Old 08-21-2016, 08:49 AM
MaJ. Woody

Originally Posted by scoeroo
The first time you roll a tire off the rim on take off and have to land on the rim you will wish you had a set of the Hi-speed wheels - I use electron electric retracts with the Air-Tech Hi-speed wheels ......no issues
Thanks for the replies guys!

On the above, I used to see this every time a lightning took off. Why is that? Poor wheel / tires design? I never saw a BVM wheel do that or even the Chinese ARF Wheels I was using. Not being critical, just want to understand what I am getting into here.
Thanks,
Old 08-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Johnny9390
My Feedback: (34)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just using a tygon line with a regular stopper plug for the fill line.

Originally Posted by philjac94
Cannot see from your photo, but what are you using for your fill valve, a lot of guys were using festo self sealing quick connects which are prone to drawing in air iwhen not connected. In any case, here is the first place I would look.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 731 Likes on 527 Posts

Early Intairco wheels did not have the tyre clamped, the latest type do.
C-36/2 are the best set od air retracts ever made, my 10 year old Classic Flash proved that again this weekend still holding air and operating perfectly.
Airtech Germany make the new sets- with high speed wheels.
personally I would assemble a set using the Behotec set, nose leg and wheel it was designed for and Intairco 83mm wheels and brakes. I use Jet A1 main legs in our sets, but guess they are hard to find in the states, so maybe Dreamworks have some 6mm pin, 1/4" axle legs

In the UK where there are a lot of Flash and UF models flown they pretty much all use the above.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:46 PM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks Dave!
I am going through this thread now but I am only on Page 61!
Old 08-21-2016, 06:11 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks Dave!
I am going through this thread now but I am only on Page 61!
Hurry up Dom. You need something to fly at Titusville
Old 08-21-2016, 06:41 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys.
Hey Dom, good to see you back in the turbine forum.

I don't know what Carf is doing. Those wheels look ridiculous even on a sport jet and they seem to be supplying them with their Hawk as well. Maybe others planes too. They need to find another supplier other than Air Tech unless these are the wheels they actually want to offer with their jets.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:21 PM
737Driver

Hey folks. Today was the big day for my Ultra, and true to form on the maiden voyage, she lifted in the air with the greatest of ease. I had lots of support out at Kingdon, thank you all for being there for me. I added about 6 clicks of up elevator, at that point, she was hands off in level flight. Rock solid in flight, approach and landing were uneventful. I can't tell you all, what a pleasure it was to maiden/fly it today, I was all grins, heart rate was back to normal levels after I got her on the ground. Today I logged 4 flights, and opened it up on flight 3 and 4. Man this thing is fast, I've determined I need to dial down book recommend settings on flight control throws a little bit. I was really happy the main gear doors stayed on! Here's some pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	2177863  
Old 08-21-2016, 09:21 PM
737Driver

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	721
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	2177864   Click image for larger version

Views:	732
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	2177865   Click image for larger version

Views:	825
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	2177866  
Old 08-21-2016, 09:40 PM
737Driver

Originally Posted by txshan130
Hey guys...

Looking for a bypass if anyone is not using theirs. Just need the top (removeable) half and would be happy to pay for shipping. Had a very nice gent from Canafa offer one up but would prefer to try and find one here in the US if possible :-)

Thx in advance...
Yo Brian! What up? What are you going to buy with your retro? I'm thinking the 1/6 F-16???? Wish I could help you with the bypass, I'll keep my eyes peeled out here. Hope your well
Old 08-21-2016, 10:34 PM
Dave Wilshere

Welcome to the club, it's a fabulous aeroplane, congratulations.
You sound a little nose heavy if you have the elevator above neutral, over future flights you could slide it back a bit at a time.

Hope the smile is still there today.

Dave
Old 08-22-2016, 01:31 AM
MaJ. Woody

Originally Posted by causeitflies
Hurry up Dom. You need something to fly at Titusville
Hi Mark.
I plan on flying my Cessna down to Titusville this weekend. I hope to see you there!
Old 08-22-2016, 01:33 AM
MaJ. Woody

Originally Posted by afterburner
Hey Dom, good to see you back in the turbine forum.

I don't know what Carf is doing. Those wheels look ridiculous even on a sport jet and they seem to be supplying them with their Hawk as well. Maybe others planes too. They need to find another supplier other than Air Tech unless these are the wheels they actually want to offer with their jets.
Hi Marty!
Thanks. I missed it!
Old 08-22-2016, 05:36 AM
737Driver

Hey Dave, thanks!! Um, when I'm taxiing for takeoff, it bounces quit a bit on the nose, especially when I taxi back after landing. To me it appears tail heavy as much as it bounces on the nose. That doesn't jive though with the clicks of trim of up elevator, to hold the nose up in level flight. I totally agree with you. Any idea why it bounces so much with the nose while taxiing? I was just thinking it's "springy" on the nose gear strut.

Tom
Old 08-22-2016, 08:10 AM
Dave Wilshere

Which main struts? How much trail? The gear position was designed for trailing link legs where the main wheel moves back 3/4" under compression. It's to give it the perfect rotation point on the main axle. It's why it niggles me when all these after market gear comes out without understanding the needs...

None of the CARF designs have ever been heavy on the nose wheel.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:00 PM
737Driver

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Which main struts? How much trail? The gear position was designed for trailing link legs where the main wheel moves back 3/4" under compression. It's to give it the perfect rotation point on the main axle. It's why it niggles me when all these after market gear comes out without understanding the needs...

None of the CARF designs have ever been heavy on the nose wheel.
hey Dave, thank you for your reply. I'm using the Dreamworks Pro-link electric pro combo. I would guess my mains move about 3/4" under compression. I put the plane together today in the garage, to look it over after the maiden yesterday, and sure enough, I have exactly 11 clicks of nose up elevator. The next time I take it out, I'll move the ECU battery back a tad. I do like all my flight controls faired! Can't wait for the next day out with it!
Old 08-22-2016, 03:02 PM
MaJ. Woody

A couple of questions:

I have been a Jetcat Guy from the start and have planned for a P140RXI but am also considering the new Cheetah SE because of the Lifetime Warranty. Anyone have experience with this motor in the Ultra Flash?

Still on the fence with Gear. Seems Behotec is a good choice but not easy to get a complete package as outlined in this thread.I am considering the Packages from Dreamworks. The air combo as well as the Pro Electric Combo. I see a couple of you have opted for the Electric combo. How was the install? How are the gear holding up? Any regrets on the eclectic setup?
Thanks!
Old 08-22-2016, 03:06 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Electron retracts with pro-link struts & AirTech wheels
I picked up great savings by going strait to the manufactures of the items - I don't buy from distributors any more !! as all they do is put a mark up on the item
Old 08-22-2016, 06:46 PM
737Driver

A couple of questions:

I have been a Jetcat Guy from the start and have planned for a P140RXI but am also considering the new Cheetah SE because of the Lifetime Warranty. Anyone have experience with this motor in the Ultra Flash?

Still on the fence with Gear. Seems Behotec is a good choice but not easy to get a complete package as outlined in this thread.I am considering the Packages from Dreamworks. The air combo as well as the Pro Electric Combo. I see a couple of you have opted for the Electric combo. How was the install? How are the gear holding up? Any regrets on the eclectic setup?
Thanks!

Dear Sir,

Here is what I'm using,

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...Gear-Combo-Pro

I have no regrets with this choice of gear. That being said, I had it out for the maiden yesterday, flew it 4 times, and had no issues with the gear at all. It sure made for a clean install, no air lines, no air tanks, no valves, no servos to do all that. Very clean install, easy to program with the data terminal. Now there is a bit of dremeling to install the mains into the wings, like 2-3mm of hardwood out of the way to get the Pro-Links to drop in. I sure would be happy to snap some photos of my install to ease your fears, IF you chose that route. There is SOME work to install them, but I'm very happy with my choice. I'm using the Interico wheels, boy howdy there are NO ISSUES WHAT SO EVER with them coming off the rims on takeoff, solid tires, last for a long time. The tech support from DreamWorks has been ROCK SOLID as well as questions that arise with the install and use of their products. I'm NOT selling any particular type of gear, I can only comment on what I'm using. It's just really nice not to have to lug extra gear to the field, and fewer items to install. Feel free to PM me and we can chat at further length if you wish. I can't tell you how happy I am with my Ultra, especially after yesterday's VERY routine maiden!!

Tom

Last edited by 737Driver; 08-23-2016 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:23 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of questions:

Thanks!
I have a Cheetah (non SE) in my UF. I've had no problems with mine and it's a great combo. The SE will only add more fun factor with your "style" of flying!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.