Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 10:33 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Electron retracts with pro-link struts work just fine
Old 11-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Johnny9390
My Feedback: (34)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using the CYS 2090 Chinese version of electrons and they are perfect for 160 bucks was worth a try!! Have a set of electrons at home and they are virtually the same gear but with different controller. Works flawlessly
Old 11-30-2016, 02:12 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

CYS2090 retracts ....? never head of them... are they any good ?
Or do they live upto the Chinese quality issues
Old 11-30-2016, 08:00 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluelevel
No offense Gary, but if people would read other peoples' posts, most of the questions would be answered already. Just one page back I posted my experience with the Electron gear, about too stiff springs and the nose wheel being too long.

Seems like a waste of time to post here and trying to help others.

Thomas
Thomas no offense but I did read your post. What I want to know is are you the only person having the problem or have others had the same experience. One person with a problem doesn't make it an epidemic.
I guess my suggestion for you is if you don't feel appreciated don't try to help. I am a very busy person and unlike some people I don't have time to read 220 pages of material to look for answers to a very simple question.
If you were not interested in answering the question the second time then, like you said, you shouldn't have wasted your time. But the rude response is why guys like me don't come to RCU very much.
Very sorry that I inconvenienced you for the 2 minutes that it took for you to type your response. I promise I won't ask for your help again.

Have a great day.

Last edited by Gary Jefferson; 11-30-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:07 PM
Gary Jefferson

Duplicate

Last edited by Gary Jefferson; 11-30-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Gary Jefferson

Originally Posted by wblombard
Hi Gary,

Question, did you specifically order your electron landing gear for the Ultra flash? I had a brief discussion with our local rep her and apparently the UF combo from electron is designed around the models weight. It was also mentioned that should the springs be too hard you can replace the springs with softer ones? He did mention that he doubts I will have an issue. I only asked this as there have been a discussion around this recently

What surface will you be landing on? W very fortunate here in Dubai having a really long run way. the bounce you referring to has a number of factors. I'm no expert and this is my first jet build but just my 2c worth.
Yes I bought the complete landing gear package direct from Electron. Gear, struts, wheels, brakes, and the GS-200 controller.

Where can you get the softer springs?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:06 AM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Jefferson
Yes I bought the complete landing gear package direct from Electron. Gear, struts, wheels, brakes, and the GS-200 controller.

Where can you get the softer springs?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi Gary,

I have not read all of the previous posts on this subject but my advice would be to give your electron struts a go.
I have the electron struts on my UF and they are great. Not too bouncy at all.
land it fast and you will have issues with any of the struts out there.

Paul.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:55 AM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are an awful lot of Flash's flying out there now and I fear lot's of people that believe only their way of setting them up works. Each of us finds a set up that suits us and then tends to stick with it but it doesn't mean there aren't other ways of achieving the same objective.

I know a couple of guys using Electron gear in Flash's now and don't seem to be having any problems. I've got a lot of flights on the standard Behotec pneumatic gear and also have no problems. I love how simple the set up is on my Ultra Flash and now it's getting cold here it's perfect to take out for a day of low hassle flying versus my bigger, more complex jet.

As Paul says above - speed control on landing seems to be the key. Personally I use crow and it works really well for me. I fly from some shorter grass fields and the additional drag helps me to be more accurate with speed and placement of the aircraft when I come in to land compared to the flap only set up. This may not work for everyone but I get on well with it.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:16 AM
Gary Jefferson

Guys thank you very much. That is the additional input I was looking for; just a consensus more or less on whether or not I should give them a go as is with the factory springs.
Once I get the plane up on the gear I can see if they still feel stiff but I will try a couple of flights before changing the springs.
BTW, the Electron gear is extremely high quality for anyone considering buying a set. The features offered in the GS-200 controller are everything needed for a set of retracts. If you buy them direct from Electron you will spend the same amount as an air system by the time you add the brake valve, retract valve, and nose gyro. The Electrons give you all of this in a single controller and it can be connected to the receiver with any bus connection by a single wire. This really makes for a clean install.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to offer advice.
Much appreciated. Gary

Last edited by Gary Jefferson; 12-01-2016 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:35 AM
Gary Jefferson

Originally Posted by Andrew Bird
There are an awful lot of Flash's flying out there now and I fear lot's of people that believe only their way of setting them up works. Each of us finds a set up that suits us and then tends to stick with it but it doesn't mean there aren't other ways of achieving the same objective.

I know a couple of guys using Electron gear in Flash's now and don't seem to be having any problems. I've got a lot of flights on the standard Behotec pneumatic gear and also have no problems. I love how simple the set up is on my Ultra Flash and now it's getting cold here it's perfect to take out for a day of low hassle flying versus my bigger, more complex jet.

As Paul says above - speed control on landing seems to be the key. Personally I use crow and it works really well for me. I fly from some shorter grass fields and the additional drag helps me to be more accurate with speed and placement of the aircraft when I come in to land compared to the flap only set up. This may not work for everyone but I get on well with it.
I also like to run crow on my planes. Do you know about how much crow you are using?
Old 12-01-2016, 02:26 AM
Andrew Bird

Let me have a look when I have a moment - I think I used the settings hiding earlier in this thread but they are pretty buried now there are so many pages.

I think I'm using around 4mm up aileron but when I get a moment I will measure it properly and give you the down elevator setting's I'm running as well.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:34 PM
Gary Jefferson

Can someone tell me what battery voltage I should be using for the Electron gear? I have the GS-200 which allows different voltages but not sure what is supposed to be used with the Electron gear. I typically use a 6.6 volt A123 pack. Is this ok?
Old 12-01-2016, 11:45 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

The battery recommended to power the retracts is a 2S (7.4V) LiPo. With 500-900mAh batteryyou will have power enough for all flying day. If you choose another battery, you must keep inmind that the battery must have between 7-10V. Electron recommends don´t sharing the receiverbattery, to avoid problems in the receiver system. Use always a single small battery only forretracts system.

From their manual...

The controller has a range 5v to 12v
Old 12-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Gary Jefferson

Dave thanks I have a small 7.4 Lipo I can use. They sent the manual for the GS-200 controller but there is no manual for the actual Electron gear showing what voltage should be used on the gear so thanks again for the info.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:53 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

I just looked on their site...;-)
i do need to get up to speed as CARF are now recommending the Electron gear and will be selling packages like this very soon.

Dave
Old 12-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Gary Jefferson

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
I just looked on their site...;-)
i do need to get up to speed as CARF are now recommending the Electron gear and will be selling packages like this very soon.

Dave
Nice to see they are selling them. I have had some time to work with them a little and I think the GS-200 controller upgrade was worth the extra money.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:29 AM
izzy

Originally Posted by Gary Jefferson
Can someone tell me what battery voltage I should be using for the Electron gear? I have the GS-200 which allows different voltages but not sure what is supposed to be used with the Electron gear. I typically use a 6.6 volt A123 pack. Is this ok?
I use a 2S lipo for the gear ( electron)
I know the manual states 7-10v

here is the link to the manual
page 3-4 has battery recomnedations
https://electron-retracts.com/wp-con...2/evo_en-1.pdf

https://www.electron-retracts.com/wp...sers-guide.pdf here is the GS200 users guide
Old 12-19-2016, 01:00 AM
Andrew Bird

Here are a few pics of the amount of crow I'm running from some flying yesterday. Obviously, if I was a proper grown up I would have actually measured the set up but I didn't have a ruler to hand! It gives an idea though...... The second picture is amount of down elevator.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1578.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2193833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1579.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2193834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1580.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	2193835  
Old 12-21-2016, 08:28 PM
ucandoit
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you guys recommend cutting the Ail/Flap cover between that and the Gear ?

I found this pict and thinking of doing the cut... your opinion ?

Name:	image_jpeg5.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2194050  

Last edited by ucandoit; 12-21-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:28 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ucandoit

yes that's a good idea. Makes servicing a lot easier. Mine is also the same way.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:03 AM
ucandoit

Thanks DrV
Old 12-22-2016, 07:13 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ucandoit

If possible lay out the extra screw holes before you trim away the excess material from the wood mounting frame. FYI, I built the airplane in the photo you posted . That one is Merlin 200 powered and is a beast
Old 12-27-2016, 05:29 PM
ucandoit

Hi guys I'm pluging away at my build and have a question.. Bypass how many use it vs not use it ? I'm using a 140 RXI and I thought I had it done till I put the wing on and it was touching and wont close. So now I have to turn the Turbine so it wont touch and it would be a lot easer to not use the front (white) Bypass. My other option would to have the fuel line run inside the front (white) Bypass and drill a hole up front to come out into the fuse. Would it hurt any for the fuel line to be inside the bypass? So please give me some Ideas.. use it or not use it and how some might have run there gas line on a 140rxi if they did use it Thanks Scott K
Old 12-27-2016, 07:13 PM
737Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Scott. I have the EXACT same setup as you. I have the 140RXi installed. I used the inlet joiner, and BOTH upper and lower bypass. I cut a hole into the inlet joiner, and glued in place a pushrod exit nylon piece to pass the fuel line through inlet joiner to motor. That pushrod exit piece keeps the fuel line, inline as best as possible with no bending from outside joiner to inside joiner to the motor. Now, if you run the Velcro strap all the way around the lower bypass in fact when you put the wing on it won't seat very well. I cut my Velcro strap away from the lower bypass that meets the wing surface, it's still a little snug but a lot better than having that Velcro strap go all the way around the bypass.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:20 PM
737Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can see in this photo where I glued the pushrod exit to the outside of the inlet joiner. I cut away about 5 inches of the Velcro strap you see there in this photo that meet the wing surface. When I put my wing on it's pretty tight but you'll manage to get the screws to tighten down. The two holes you see in the inlet joiner were drilled in the wrong place I ended up having to fiberglass and epoxy those two holes closed, grrrrrr!

Name:	IMG_1116.JPG
Views:	798
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2194566  

Last edited by 737Driver; 12-27-2016 at 07:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.