Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:39 AM
wblombard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Vk96,

i also installed electrons EVO 40. There was quite a bit of cutting to do to get it to fit especially the nose gear. I even had to make the wheel well longer for it to fully retract...25mm I believe. I did not need to add any packers to any of my gears.

The wings were actually pretty easy to install, its more the nose retract that took a lot of cutting. Had to remove even the one brace completely for the direct steering.

Over all not crazy difficult, you should be fine. Im a first timer. ��

Turbine, cant help you there. Im actually going to get mine installed by one of our local guys at the club, Darryl Tarr. He has so much experience and rather get it right 100%.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:06 PM
DepecheMode101
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you show some pictures of the EVO 40 nose install?

Originally Posted by wblombard
Hi Vk96,

i also installed electrons EVO 40. There was quite a bit of cutting to do to get it to fit especially the nose gear. I even had to make the wheel well longer for it to fully retract...25mm I believe. I did not need to add any packers to any of my gears.

The wings were actually pretty easy to install, its more the nose retract that took a lot of cutting. Had to remove even the one brace completely for the direct steering.

Turbine, cant help you there. Im actually going to get mine installed by one of our local guys at the club, Darryl Tarr. He has so much experience and rather get it right 100%.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:42 PM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a few of mine -

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20170226122638.jpg
Views:	1334
Size:	3.82 MB
ID:	2202856   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20170226122624.jpg
Views:	1423
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	2202857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20170226122548.jpg
Views:	1358
Size:	3.72 MB
ID:	2202858  
Old 02-25-2017, 09:24 PM
DepecheMode101
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you

so you have to notch the bulkhead to clear the retract motor?

Originally Posted by paulhat
Here is a few of mine -

Old 02-25-2017, 09:34 PM
wblombard

My installation looks very similar to Paulhat's installation. Paul, it looks like you did not use any blind nuts securing your nose gear...any particular reason?
I really did not want to install mine but I was told they are great when distributing the load, hence installed them.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:19 PM
paulhat

Originally Posted by DepecheMode101
Thank you

so you have to notch the bulkhead to clear the retract motor?
Sure did. I used a hacksaw blade to reach in and make the necessary cuts. Easier that I thought it would be.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:22 PM
paulhat

My installation looks very similar to Paulhat's installation. Paul, it looks like you did not use any blind nuts securing your nose gear...any particular reason?
I really did not want to install mine but I was told they are great when distributing the load, hence installed them.
I have never used blind nuts to mount retracts. Just use self tapping screws. I do put a little thin CA in the tapped holes just to give the screws a little something extra to bite into.
Never had an issue with this method and it saves all the hassles of blind nuts. Only place I have used them on this model is for the engine mounts.

I had never really considered that blind nuts may provide better load distribution. I guess they could but I I wouldn't worry about it. If anything the self tappers may tear out of the bearers easier resulting in less overall stress to the retract frame. Who knows.. Just make sure that every landing is perfect and you will be fine

Paul.

Last edited by paulhat; 02-25-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:00 AM
wblombard

Thanks Paul, kind of what I said when i asked the question to our local guys. due to being my first jet, in fact first fixed wing build, who was I to question. So did as I was told.

Looking forward to get this one completed, been taking me a very long time

Originally Posted by paulhat
I have never used blind nuts to mount retracts. Just use self tapping screws. I do put a little thin CA in the tapped holes just to give the screws a little something extra to bite into.
Never had an issue with this method and it saves all the hassles of blind nuts. Only place I have used them on this model is for the engine mounts.

I had never really considered that blind nuts may provide better load distribution. I guess they could but I I wouldn't worry about it. If anything the self tappers may tear out of the bearers easier resulting in less overall stress to the retract frame. Who knows.. Just make sure that every landing is perfect and you will be fine

Paul.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:26 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Never use the T nuts personally, CARF use such good quality plywood, I actually tap the ply for an M4 screw. I have never had one pullout, I fly on grass a lot too. My thought was the fine thread would put out, that leaves a neat 4mm clearance hole, then I could fit a T second time around! Never had the chance to test this,but I have seen models with the T nuts and it smashes the woodwork...that said if you get to that point there is almost certainly going to be other repairs! CARF gear mounts are legendary, none better in the aero modelling industry. If you had seen some of my club members 'arriving' in the ploughed field around our strip,you would know what I mean. Legs and pins bent 40 degrees and no mount damage.
The self tapping screws would work in a similar way. Grumania in Germany have a socket headed screw that is perfect for this job.

DW
Old 02-26-2017, 04:44 AM
VK96

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Vk96,

Thanks for the info on the gear...Hope to get to it today. Finished the horizontal stab yesterday. Took some tweaking to get the servo panel to lie flush. Had to extend the holes for the L-brackets to match the 8411's. Minor stuff.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:48 AM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Can someone sum up the expected build time for this arf? My Skymaster F-18 took a lot of work on the wings and rudders (trimming, modifying flaps ect) to get it done. I heard the hinging and horns are done.....

just evaluating my next project. Time is valuable this year ��
Old 02-26-2017, 09:58 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What one puts into an install to suit ones needs is the time it takes - I'm very critical on wiring , takes me time to get everything the way I like it .....NEAT
Old 02-26-2017, 11:46 AM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by Dblex
Can someone sum up the expected build time for this arf? My Skymaster F-18 took a lot of work on the wings and rudders (trimming, modifying flaps ect) to get it done. I heard the hinging and horns are done.....

just evaluating my next project. Time is valuable this year ��
You won't have to waste time making the airframe fit, its CARF. I'd say its 45-50 hours to do an UF with gear and servos that fits like the original.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:04 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
You won't have to waste time making the airframe fit, its CARF. I'd say its 45-50 hours to do an UF with gear and servos that fits like the original.

That's exactly what I was wondering! Thanks!!!
Old 02-26-2017, 01:01 PM
scoeroo

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
But you do need to double check ALL the glue joints
You will be amazed upon close inspection how flimsy the glue joints are done,
I have seen daylite thru some of the glue joints where they so-call strike the fillet
I have also had to lay in another fillet of real glue (Hysol) to cover / repair factory fillets
The white stuff the factory uses is certainly not Hysol
Old 02-26-2017, 07:28 PM
Thai Tiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great resource, but a bit too long to search.

Where are you guys measuring the control throws from, please.
Elevator/Aileron/Flap - Inboard or outboard ?
Rudder - Top or bottom edge ?

Many thanks.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:26 AM
paulhat

Originally Posted by Thai Tiger
Great resource, but a bit too long to search.

Where are you guys measuring the control throws from, please.
Elevator/Aileron/Flap - Inboard or outboard ?
Rudder - Top or bottom edge ?

Many thanks.
These are the settings I have used -

************************************************** ***********************************************
Carf Ultra Flash settings

Control Throws -

Elevator: 15mm up and down (measured at root)

Aileron: 15 mm up and down (measured at tip)

Crow (up): 8mm

Flaps -
Take Off: 40mm (measured at root)
Landing: 40mm (measured at tip)

Rudder: 50mm (measured at base)

Elevator trims

Flight: Up 2mm
take off flaps: Down 1.5mm
landing flaps: Down 4mm

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************
Old 02-27-2017, 05:07 AM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by scoeroo
But you do need to double check ALL the glue joints
You will be amazed upon close inspection how flimsy the glue joints are done,
I have seen daylite thru some of the glue joints where they so-call strike the fillet
I have also had to lay in another fillet of real glue (Hysol) to cover / repair factory fillets
The white stuff the factory uses is certainly not Hysol
I've built a lot of CARF models...a lot and I can honestly say I have never found the need. Big fillets of glue ad little strength, lots of weight. The places they use the filled epoxy is generally light duty.

I've seen UF models abused to death with big turbines and I've yet to see a failure.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:54 PM
scoeroo

Obviously you have not had a CLOSE look at one ......regardless of how many you have sold or flown

My days of buying carf's are done (this has to do with owner & Rep after sales service also lack of support) as the European market gives far better construction and value not to mention after sales support ......my choice

You run a shop ......business = money .......I do it for fun
Old 02-27-2017, 09:18 PM
paulhat

Originally Posted by scoeroo
Obviously you have not had a CLOSE look at one ......regardless of how many you have sold or flown

My days of buying carf's are done (this has to do with owner & Rep after sales service also lack of support) as the European market gives far better construction and value not to mention after sales support ......my choice

You run a shop ......business = money .......I do it for fun
I have built 4 so far.. couldn't fault the construction on any of them.

Paul.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:23 PM
scoeroo

The 2 I built 1 classic also 1 UF & a ultra lightning were not up to par !!
when asking for the owner of carf to contact me no response was noted, the rep couldn't even get a response from the owner - that tells me something about the owner
Old 02-27-2017, 09:33 PM
wblombard

Must say as a first time owner of a CARF model in fact first Turbine build, I was impressed. There were some faults with my kit, but not a train smashes.. The only minor items I can report are as follows:

Elevator metal connectors are really a bit crappy, they did not line up, they dont sit flush, so installed a BVM flush servo mount
Paint on some areas were a bit smudged, quality id say 99% no biggie
I had a hair line fracture on the underside of the wing tip, not biggie...its 2mm long, in fact i could have caused it, no way to tell.

Its a very nice build and a major learning curve especially being a heli guy, and German heli's (Banshee, Henseleit, Mini copter) quality is outstanding.

Over all I'm very happy with my Flash, Will see how she flies.

I guess it each for their own.

Would I buy one again, Yes
Old 02-27-2017, 10:21 PM
Dave Wilshere

Mmm I'll take your insult and move on leaving your personal gripe with CARF as something I have no control of, not looked at one closely... funny guy
Old 02-28-2017, 01:08 AM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scoeroo - sorry you had a problem.

I'm not going to lie - I like comp arf planes. I've built a lot of them over time - a few for me and lots for other people and have had hundreds of flights on my own planes. I was just thinking back to whether I've ever seen any of their glue joints fail for any reason other than a user induced one (heavy landing etc) and I've simply not. The planes aren't built using Hysol, but the only ARF I've seen that does seem to be is the Ultra Bandit which is in a rather different budget to CARF stuff. The glue they use seems to be perfectly adequate and the Ultra Flash has a reputation based around how strong it is.
I think for the price, they are good value. Many won't agree but we expect an awful lot for not a vast amount of money nowadays. The fact that I've had hundreds of flights on various CARF planes (aerobatic and jets) which involve fitting excessive power, awful landings, turbines blowing apart, heavy G, wide speed ranges, me handling them on the ground like an idiot getting them in cars, back in to storage etc and I've yet to have a major failure.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:37 AM
scoeroo

No insults -
My dealings with carf are over ......that's all im saying and expressing my experience's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.