Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My bad Troy Built Models experience

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My bad Troy Built Models experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Pupster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My bad Troy Built Models experience

Ordered two small carbon fiber landing gear sets from them. Took the option of having delivery by USPS (normally a fairly benign and safe alternative) which turned out to be mistake number 1.

I noted that Troy Built Models is on the East Coast and I'm in Northern California, thus I expected a slow delivery time.

Well, after two weeks my product had not been shipped so on a Thursday I tried to call these people. For two straight days all I could get was an answering service that was never picked up. I called like 7 or 8 times at random times of the days.

I didn't try on Saturday or Sunday, and tried the next Monday. Finally Bill (or Phil, I don't know) picked up. I indicated my invoice number and who I was. They had the invoice and were able to pull it up on their system. Bill talked to someone in "shipping". She asked if I could wait a week to see if the items would finally show up. I agreed.

The package never arrived. Well, I don't have a lot of time to devote to tracking down packages so it took me more like two or three weeks to call them back today.

I described the problem again and that the "shipping" person had previously said she would ship out the items again if they didn't show up. I did indicate to Bill that I was aware that TroyBuiltModels was mentioned a few times on the Internet in a bad light with exactly this same type of problem. He indicated that he would ship the items out UPS and email me a tracking number. He then asked me to wait, again, for the UPStracking number in my email.

Didn't happen. He called and left a message on my answering machine saying they apparently had sold me the last of their inventory of that item and that they would not be stocking it in the future. He offered a credit with Troy Built Models or to refund my money.

I checked my email a few hours later and got notice that I had a Paypal refund of $10.99 from Troy Built Models. Which would be great if it were the correct amount. I was supposed to get $17.99. My parts were $7 and the shipping was $10.99. They had only refunded my shipping.

Okay, it's irritating enough that I've devoted a lot of time to chasing down $7 in parts. And it's irritating that a purely clerical error in all likelihood caused the incorrect amount of money to be refunded. But, I'm not mad at those issues. They happen.

What really galls me is that attached to the refund was a personally written note from someone at Troy Built Models saying that it was my fault for not contacting them within the 7 day period after my purchase to report a problem. They also indicated they were being nice to me as a one-time gesture. Thanks a lot!

As noted, I'm on the West coast, Troy Built Models the East Coast. It's a tight squeeze for any ground delivery service to meet that kind of service level. And if the moon is in just the wrong phase it's not gonna happen.

And it galls me that Troy Built Models already has a bad reputation with some folks and they have the nerve to blame me! I'm the customer.

I DID NOTHINGWRONG!

I simply tried to obtain the product that I lawfully purchased. Instead, I got non-answered phones, I got put off repeatedly, I got short-changed on a refund, and I effectively got chastised by a merchant who apparently "is right".

Yeah I'm ticked. Their blaming it on the customer, combined with all the other irritating but understandable goof-ups, is a pretty poor way to do business. Good luck with that attitude Troy Built Models!

Taking what they said at face value, or rather the items were lost in transit the first time, no one was to blame. But as a small business person myself I plan for problems like this to crop up from time to time. And just as Troy Built Models tried to do, I would make good on that purchase.

But, I would never use the "you had to report it in 7 days, you didn't, therefore you're to blame" line. It's really off-putting to someone who himself believes in making the customer happy.

Okay folks, I've had my say, thanks for listening, I've learned my lesson.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

Default RE: My bad Troy Built Models experience

That is weird.. I never have had problems with them.. Been buying JC turbines from them the last 2 years straight. They have also donated to our jet fly.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:37 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Pupster
................ and I'm in Northern California
maybe when you ordered you gave them the same Colorado address you used when you sighed up here????
Old 09-24-2010, 07:17 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

As I understand it... Troy Built Models is being shut down. Buyer Beware...
Old 09-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Zagzoo

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

As of when? Why?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:44 PM
kingair41
My Feedback: (13)

Well with customer service like that no wonder.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:46 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Kind of odd that the first post is a flame and his "supposed" address is in Nor Cal but his profile address is in Colorado. Maybe seller should beware.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:44 PM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

nice, join date of today as well. I ordered a Shockjet a few years ago and had no problems but hear more and more about them.

Kevin
Old 09-24-2010, 09:51 PM
giddyuperic

Never had any problems with them and I have bought my share of items from them. They even went out of the way to write me and tell me what I needed for my plane.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 PM
gruntled

grrrr- I wish I knew that before I purchased a Shokjet a few weeks ago.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:12 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: gruntled

grrrr - I wish I knew that before I purchased a Shokjet a few weeks ago.
Did ya get it yet? Used a credit card?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:16 AM
gruntled

I received it just fine. I just prefer to know that there is a company there to stand behind the purchase (and I so can get another at 25% off if I dork this one )
Old 09-25-2010, 06:50 AM
julian46

Ive had nothing but good experience from TBM- before and after ordering my ShockJet.

Would be a shame not to have access to them in the future and their supplies.

At least for me - their products represented good value and a start into turbines.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Shok

ORIGINAL: gruntled

I received it just fine. I just prefer to know that there is a company there to stand behind the purchase (and I so can get another at 25% off if I dork this one )

You can always build the real thing

http://store.laser-design-services.c...products_id=23
Old 09-25-2010, 08:25 AM
gruntled

Build . . . what's that?    

Nope, I barely have time or patience to put an ARF together.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

" Build . . . what's that? "

It's the other HALF of the hobby!
Old 09-25-2010, 10:22 AM
jetflyr

ORIGINAL: Ron S

'' Build . . . what's that? ''

+1 !
Old 09-25-2010, 12:35 PM
gruntled

Maybe someday . . .  but not anytime soon.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:37 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron S

'' Build . . . what's that? ''

you mean like installing servos and stuff? Are you crazy?

:-)
Old 09-25-2010, 12:39 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Still no response to follow up on this statement. What do you base this on? Facts would be appreciated. I have always had good experiences with them.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:07 PM
GotSky

Troy Built is the worst company I have ever seen or dealt with. You think $10 is bad they got me for over $375. I am in the middle of filing suit against them now. They need to be out of this hobby they are a black eye on the industry. And for those who say ahww look its his " first post" or your just here to " flame "to others shame on you. This company has a very bad rep on every hobby site you can find. BAD customer service and they just don't a crap about you after they have your money. Just because you did not get the shaft on an order means that others didn't!
Old 09-25-2010, 01:38 PM
ram3500-RCU

Two sides to every story. Wish we could see theirs. This company was started by modelers who had a real passion for quality products and high performance aircraft, which they produced. I met them at Toledo years ago. After the move south, they still seemed to have that dedication to us modelers. I hope that has not changed, and an explanation for all this will be forthcoming.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:48 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Still no response to follow up on this statement.
Somewhere in the warbirds forum there is a thread that talks about TBM shifting the focus of their business. I did not read all of the thread, so I don't know any details.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:49 PM
knighttwister
My Feedback: (59)

didn't they just move to a new location? maybe they aren't ready yet. give them some time.
heck, i just ordered from hobby king and the shipping email sait it could take 45 days. talk about your "slow boat"!
Old 09-25-2010, 02:17 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: grbaker

Still no response to follow up on this statement.
Somewhere in the warbirds forum there is a thread that talks about TBM shifting the focus of their business. I did not read all of the thread, so I don't know any details.
Yes. This raised some questions for me, because this all seemed so unlike the TBM I have dealt with in the past. Seems the GM and many others have been laided off, and TBM is indeed "going in a different direction" as he put it. Still not sure what that means, but it is a fact that they are no longer importing aircraft lines like EMS, for example. Too many issues with the shipments and availability of parts was one problem sited. When it comes to spare parts, these importers are at the mercy of the manufactures and wholesalers to supply them, and predicting how and what to have on hand would be a hard task for any buyer trying to maintain profitability. They don't just purchase extra planes to cannibalize for parts. When they aren't supplied by the source, it is the retailer that takes the heat. Unfair, but real. Looks like TBM has had enough of this frustration and legal crap. I, for one, hope they return to their roots and go back to providing their own designs like their One Design I had years ago. They were masters at keeping air frames light but strong in all the right places. Just don't know if that is profitable anymore in the currant world of cheap Chinese built ARFs. WHAT A WORLD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.