Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

2010 RCU Jet Forum Readers Choice - Best Turbine Company

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
AMT Netherlands
7.77%
Behotec
1.89%
EvoJet
1.70%
JetCat
37.88%
JetCentral
23.67%
Kingtech
3.22%
Merlin
5.11%
SimJet
1.52%
Wren
9.47%
Jet Joe
1.70%
Hawk Turbine
0.19%
PST
0.95%
AMT USA
1.52%
IQ-Hammer
1.14%
Frank Turbines
0.38%
Modelbau-USA
0.57%
RTI
0.76%
ATJ
0.57%
Voters: 528. You may not vote on this poll

2010 RCU Jet Forum Readers Choice - Best Turbine Company

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:54 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: 2010 RCU Jet Forum Readers Choice - Best Turbine Company

ORIGINAL: Edgar Perez

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

What questions do you want them to respond too? You are comparing apples to oranges, jet central's warranty is different than anyone else's. If you read the warranty it's pretty cut and dry, I don't know what questions people really want answers too.
Same questions. No need to make new ones. This is not an apple to oranges comparision. Is a turbine to turbine one. I think its only fair to understand what will be the cost in the same situations.

But it is apples to oranges since of those top 4 manufactures Jet Central is the only one who offers that type of warranty. The rest of them are very cut and dry, warranty is XXXX years long, servicing will cost whatever it costs etc. Jet Central is offering something entirely different.

I'm not a representative for any of these companies, my engines of choice are AMT and G Booster (IQ Hammer) but for myself, reading all of the warranties for the top 4 (Jet Central, Jetcat, AMT NL and Wren) they seem pretty cut and dry to me.
My observation would be:

1) When purchasing a XXXXXX Turbine, is there an additional charge ($250) for the lifetime warranty?
The other 3 manufactures don't offer lifetime warranty so the answer would be no.

2) If you have some kind of issue with the engine (excluding crash damage) but have a current warranty, you send it to XXXXX Turbine and they repair it for free including free return shipping, is this correct?
Based on what I've read yes, if it's manufacture defect they cover the cost of the repair. As for return shipping, it appears that it would be covered.

3) If you crashed your plane and the engine looks OK, but you send it in for inspection anyway (better safe than sorry), what would be the cost of the service if you had the warranty (assuming no components needed to be replaced)?
This is not a warranty related question, you are sending your engine in to be inspected. Jet Central flat rates that at $250, I would think that a quick phone call or email to the others would let you know if there is a flat rate, it could be more, could be less, but again, this is not a warranty issue.

4) If you crashed your plane and the engine was damaged, is the maximum cost of the repair $250 plus $60 return shipping?
Same answer at Jet Central, if you crash your plane and damage the engine the maximum cost will depend on the severity of the crash. This is not a warranty question either, no company could be expected to flat rate crash damage on any engine.

5) In order to maintain the warranty, it is necessary to send the engine in every 25 hours, correct?
Again, this is an apples to oranges question because none of the other top 4 manufactures offer the lifetime warranty.

6) Once the engine has completed it's 25 hour check, is there a $250 charge to extend the warranty to 50 hours?
Again, apples to oranges, none of the other manufactures offer extending the warranty.

7) If you sell the turbine for which the warranty has been already bought, the new owner must pay Jet Central $250 to have the warranty transfered into his/her name, correct?
Again, apples to oranges, this is a Jet Central thing.

8) Is there some guarantee as to the maximum turn-around time to have the turbine serviced (either due to an issue/crash or the 25 hr service)?
None of the manufactures have a guarantee on turn around time including Jet Central.

Jet Central's "warranty" is unique. I realistically consider it more of a prepaid service, it's a guarantee for them that engines will be sent in on time for inspection. If an engine has been inspected regularly, outside of crash or FOD damage (which is not covered by warranty) it should never need warranty. As such, their risk is fairly low. Other manufactures don't require service for 50 hours or more.
This is solely Jet Central's policy, it works for many people, it seems to be a good system and I'm not knocking it in any way. I personally think it's a great marketing tool, they are guaranteeing themselves revenue and on time servicing if people want to maintain their warranty. In the event of a crash, cost is what it is, just like all other manufactures.
I'm not calling any one manufactures warranty or servicing better or worse than another, it is just an observation that I have made.

It seems however that you are wanting the other manufactures to comment on questions that have zero relevance to what their written warranty states, why bother? They have no real need to, their warranties are very clear.

So anyway, the bottom line is, fly what YOU trust. Fly whoever you feel more comfortable with quality wise and/or warranty wise. If the lifetime warranty makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, choose that one, if another manufacture gives you more confidence, go with them. In the end I don't personally care what turbine I fly, I don't much care about warranties, what I care about more is a manufacture that I don't have to worry about if my engine will need warranty or not.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi LGM
Thanks for taking the time to provide an answer. I'm not familiar with the Jetcat (or any other warranty), so I can comment from personal knowledge. That being said, this thread is about the best turbine company. Since it the JC warranty was discussed in detail, I think its appropriate to compare it with other companies.

So based on your response, I will give my personal interpretation (don't want to be wrong here, so anybody can correct if I miss something)
1) When purchasing a XXXXXX Turbine, is there an additional charge ($250) for the lifetime warranty?
->For Jetcat and others, there is no lifetime warranty. You only have X years and that it's. After X time even if there is a defect in materials or design, you need to pay to have the turbine fixed.

2) If you have some kind of issue with the engine (excluding crash damage) but have a current warranty, you send it to XXXXX Turbine and they repair it for free including free return shipping, is this correct?
->For Jetcat and others, they will repair it under warranty IF the manufacturer accepts that there is some kind of defect. Since JetCentral do have the lifetime warranty, they do not have the 'opportunity' to back out of it, as long as its not crash damage.

3) If you crashed your plane and the engine looks OK, but you send it in for inspection anyway (better safe than sorry), what would be the cost of the service if you had the warranty (assuming no components needed to be replaced)?
->Assume your observation is correct...

4) If you crashed your plane and the engine was damaged, is the maximum cost of the repair $250 plus $60 return shipping?

5) In order to maintain the warranty, it is necessary to send the engine in every 25 hours, correct?
->For Jetcat and others, there is no way to maintain the protection. You are stuck with how good or bad the specific engine you own. After all, any company can have a few, or many, lemons out there.

6) Once the engine has completed its 25 hour check, is there a $250 charge to extend the warranty to 50 hours?
->For Jetcat and others, same as above. You are stuck. Even if the defect happens in hour 26, you need to pay again...

7) If you sell the turbine for which the warranty has been already bought, the new owner must pay Jet Central $250 to have the warranty transferred into his/her name, correct?
->For jetcat and others: If we didn’t provide any additional protection to the original owner, what makes you think we will give one to a subsequent owner? You are stuck, the next owner also..

8) Is there some guarantee as to the maximum turn-around time to have the turbine serviced (either due to an issue/crash or the 25 hr service)?

Of course my comments have a particular JC flavor to it its up to the potential owner to determine how valuable the Jet Central warranty is. However the good thing is that its up to you if you want it. Its optional, your choice. If not interested, then just don’t sent it in for the 25 hours check.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Pete737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump
Old 11-01-2010, 08:39 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

484 votes. Nice! I think this pretty much covers most of the Jet jocks who read these boards.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 AM
LGM Graphix

Really? 9 people said JetJoe? Where's the slapping stick!
Old 11-01-2010, 10:23 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10105622/tm.htm

Old 11-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

Is there ANYONE here with a JJ turbine(s)?

I hear members putting down JJ engines, but I don't see people on here saying they have one and it's great etc..
Yes I have one along with a wren and a Jetcat, this poll was for the best and all I have ever done with my Jetcat is push the button, so for me that is why I vote for Jetcat.

If there was a poll for the most talked about turbine Jetjoe would win it for sure.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 PM
henschel
My Feedback: (47)

Everyone forgot about RAM. I have a brand new Ram 750. Old OK. NOS? Still they made the best turbines. Sounds like a Pratt & Whitney. Last of the American made turbines. Bring on that Jet Joe who? Sure that is not Jet Jose and those are made in Mexico?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:29 PM
henschel

One of the first pioneers of turbines. Turbine no#750059. Guess the make. Ooopps the air start box gave it away. Doh
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23679.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1526965  
Old 11-01-2010, 09:37 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A buddy of mine bought his first turbine awhile back.(Ram 500) When he brought it out to the field for it's first run, all it did while running was belch, fart, spit and sputter. Mercifully, the ECU crapped out right after that, ending a very frustrating day for my friend. Several hundred dollars from now it MIGHT be flyable. Now he's looking pretty hard at the Kingtech. Now, when I talk about warranties, he listens.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:33 PM
henschel

Ram 500s had to take meds to run. Finicky to say the least. Ram first attempt. After the Ram got off Prozac 750 and 1,000 didn't have to lay on the couch to say why not. Ask anyone that owned a 750 or 1,000. They will say their little sick brother was just too small and needed help. Has to be a first of the first turbine. Ram was the one of the first. Put this turbine and my Century Jet F-105F against any or all. No meds apply. Old school versus old school.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:34 PM
henschel

New school sorry. Fingers old
Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM
LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: henschel

Everyone forgot about RAM. I have a brand new Ram 750. Old OK. NOS? Still they made the best turbines. Sounds like a Pratt & Whitney. Last of the American made turbines. Bring on that Jet Joe who? Sure that is not Jet Jose and those are made in Mexico?

Everybody is TRYING to forget about RAM. They were ok, but compared to today they aren't even in the running, not to mention the fact that they went under years ago. I owned RAM750's and they ran ok, right up until they would blow up. I finally gave up on them after I had a turbine wheel come apart on a freshly rebuilt 750 that basically wrecked the majority of the engine. But for the size and weight, they made very little power compared to today's engines. I'd only ever own another RAM if I was trying to build up a collection of vintage turbines, but I'd never fly another one.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:15 AM
AndyAndrews

+1. I acually bought a RAM when I first got in the hobby. I gave it to my brother to put in a boat. Seriously. I took it out of the market so some other pour slob wouldn't have to deal with it in a jet.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:30 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: henschel

Ram 500s had to take meds to run. Finicky to say the least. Ram first attempt. After the Ram got off Prozac 750 and 1,000 didn't have to lay on the couch to say why not. Ask anyone that owned a 750 or 1,000. They will say their little sick brother was just too small and needed help. Has to be a first of the first turbine. Ram was the one of the first. Put this turbine and my Century Jet F-105F against any or all. No meds apply. Old school versus old school.
The 500 was actually one of their last attempts. What you appear to have is a 750f probably one of their better engines. Once the 750 and 1000 P's came out RAM was plagued with rear bearing failures that ate up turbine wheels, shed tail cones, and generally blew up every several runs. I had 3 750's and 3 1000's two of which were always spares or on their way back to RAM. Rei and Albert were great guys, but tried to go too far too fast. Too many more modern and much more dependable engines on the market today to trust them to an airframe that you are going to invest ANY time or money in to!
Old 11-06-2010, 04:25 PM
rcguy5

There is not an additional $250 charge when you buy a Jet Central turbine, price of turbine includes lifetime warranty. When it goes out for the 25 hour service to maintain the lifetime warranty you pay $250 for that service. You do not pay an additional $250 to renew the lifetime warranty at time of service.

Mike
Old 11-06-2010, 04:44 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I must stand up to point out something been probably overlooked
but the most importand IMHO and that is health and safety.

My hat off to jetcentral using 2stroke oil for runing there turbines [sm=thumbup.gif]
and not toxic turbine ones.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:05 PM
jetrichie

Good survey this, really shows the domant force, dont think the die hard wren people will like it though.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:09 PM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: rcguy5

There is not an additional $250 charge when you buy a Jet Central turbine, price of turbine includes lifetime warranty. When it goes out for the 25 hour service to maintain the lifetime warranty you pay $250 for that service. You do not pay an additional $250 to renew the lifetime warranty at time of service.

Mike
A lifetime of $250 every 25 hours warranty as you go, is what you really mean. Why do you guys keep mincing words on this issue? If you don't pay (RENEW) the $250 every 25 hours your so called "lifetime" warranty is worthless.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:13 PM
AndyAndrews

double post... sorry
Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 AM
AndyAndrews

Congrats JetCat for taking the RCU Readers Choice award for 2010. With 37% of the total votes, it is clear from this community that JetCat is prefered over all other turbine manufacturers in 2010. Honorable mention goes to Jet Central comming in with 23% of the votes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lj21559.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	1541625