Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help with Trim Wheel Brakes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help with Trim Wheel Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 11:35 PM
mkguyUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Trim Wheel Brakes

Hope some of you guys can help me........ I am venturing into Turbines for the first time and have got a Kangeroo with a phoenix 4 20lb power plant.

I have had quite a lot of work to do on it (the engine did not come with the plane), basically it is almost ready to fly, two issues I am having that are driving me spare

Trim Wheel Brakes.......

I have set up the braking by mixing in the down elevator with the landing flap setting...

The piston works great and slides forward proportionally....

Now for the problem........ When the piston goes forward I can hear air escaping from the bleed hole on the brake valve............ This is proportional to how much the piston goes forward..... The brakes do not come one at all... I pulled off the air pipe tubing that goes into the wheel hub and checked air was going through, all was well, when I pushed the stick forward air came out the tubing.

I read some threads and saw that the O rings may need lubing... So I stripped the wheels down and took off the O ring on one wheel..... I could see the little hole on the inside of the metal wheel hub and when I applied the brakes I could hear and feel air going through that little hole into the hub.... I lubed the O ring up and put it back on the wheel hub... Tried it again but the O ring wont inflate....

The strange thing is when I had the O ring off the hub and put the brakes on , air did not escape from the bleed hole on the brake valve......... Its almost like there is not enough PSI to inflate the O ring because the air is escaping from the brake valve bleed hole..... This is truly driving me nuts......... I have sent Trim 2 emails but with no response....... Any help will be truly appreciated.... I am going to the Odiham Jet Meet 10th August, but wont be flying if I cant have brakes :stupid:

The next problem is COG on the Kangeroo (Old version), I have the planes and saw the COG is 95/100 mm forward of the leading edge of the metal spar that supports the wings, I have done this and suspended a loop of twine through this point tied round the rudder spars, then fitted the wings. I have almost balanced the plane, it is a little nose heavy, the problem is with it set like this the slightest upward knock on the nose results in it "Sitting UP and Begging" resting on the lower rudder spars, doing an impersonation of Evil Kenivel......... I am worried that if redistribute any more weight rearwards, to get the GOC right, the plane will be pointing its nose in the air all the time, I realise that with fuel in it (I was told to get COG with plane dry) it will help keep the nose down on take off, what happens when it comes in to land, with the fuel nearly gone, will it wheelie all the way down the strip? lol I would really like to solve these two issues before even contemplating flying.........

Thanks Guys
Old 07-30-2003, 11:46 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm, I dont remember mine shooting air out the hole except when I let off the brakes. Either they are hooked up wrong, or there is something wrong with the unit.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:54 PM
mkguyUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

I have checked the setup via the Trim instructions, there are two air nipples on the unit, one is in line with the valve and the other is offset, in the instructions it states the inline one is the air in, and the offset one is to the brakes.

Incidently I did try it the other way round and that doesnt work either....... The brake valve unit is not new and came along with the plane, though I had to fit it in.........

Any ideas?
Old 07-30-2003, 11:55 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Send it back?

Get a BVM unit, or one of the electronic units, mine was not very proportional compared to the others available.