Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 117 of 142 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 3539

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: The new Tornado sport jet

I did not buy a turbine but I did buy 3 Tornado's at that price my buddies were in immediatly. You cant beat that price I saw the Demo fly down here two weeks ago and it is a beast. With the P100 it looked like it was doing way over 200mph. and I must say the quality is very very good, looks like they have improved the finish and the build. Nice Job Henry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Could somebody who has one of the latest V3's in the new yellow and blue scheme post some pictures of it...I just ordered one the other day and I don't even know what it looks like.

Thanks, Eric

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a question. I have splitted the elevator on my V3 Tornado. And now I'm in the stage of hinging both halves to the stab. Here is my question, I've prepared (didn't drill yet) for three hinges per half, what hinge type should I use? 1/8th or 3/16 robart type hinge? I think both are fine; am I right? If so, what would you use?

Azzam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki20607.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	1832497  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not what I use on most jets. Not enough glue area. I use Dubro giant scale flat hinges that have the pins. They are strong and plenty of area. Then I use Hysol one one side at a time and let it sit overnight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use the Robart pin hinges without a problem, but I open up the root rib and insert an additional strip of hard balsa on the edge to receive the hinge point, and then re-cover the end plate, I use Hysol to glue the hinges in place, once set you would have to destroy the whole TE to pull the pins out.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.
    No matter what anyone say's 100% is the maximum you can get.
    If you see a deleted post, my Avatar say's it all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

I use the Robart pin hinges without a problem, but I open up the root rib and insert an additional strip of hard balsa on the edge to receive the hinge point, and then re-cover the end plate, I use Hysol to glue the hinges in place, once set you would have to destroy the whole TE to pull the pins out.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Mike
    I don't think I got your method. Do you mean that I add some balsa blocks to where the point hinges are going to be glued? if so, then yes I am planning to do that specially that I am going to cover the entire bottom of the elevator and stab with Aluminum tape so I don't need to find a matching film to cover them. I didn't quite get how could I insert the balsa strip from the root rip with all the rips inside getting in its way.

Azzam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Heliman4213

Β*Not what I use on most jets. Not enough glue area. I use Dubro giant scale flat hinges that have the pins. They are strong and plenty of area. Then I use Hysol one one side at a time and let it sit overnight.Β*
    I've used them successfully on so many planes. If done correctly the wood will give in well before the hinges.

Azzam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can get to the area through the root ribs at either end if you split the elevator, one hinge at either end and one in the center just through the existing TE.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Re maiden this morning with new 5425's and dual 6v packs..burned another one up and almost didn't make it home..

Mechanical set up was great, no binding at all...only thing that makesany sense is batts too hott of charge..I don't know where else to look. Going to put 645's in tail and maybe split elevator.

Another close call....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I do not trust the 5245s not sure what the problem is with them as I've always had great luck with all other hitec servos.
    I'm using airtronics 98420s 30+ flights not a single issue.
    Joseph K

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are these 6v Nimh packs? if so they should be OK with all Hitec servo's, try some of the Spektrum 921's I think they are, Ali uses them in his Sprint so should be good enough for the Tornado.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

6v nimh packs yes....problem solved....

It appears that after further investigation, in my mixing set up on the elevators, I failed to turn on the "trim" on the slave servo.

Pure pilot set up error!!!

I'm shamed............

Nothing wrong with hitec.....dear LORD, I do apologize.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lol
    Call Sign blocked.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

You can get to the area through the root ribs at either end if you split the elevator, one hinge at either end and one in the center just through the existing TE.

Mike
    I finished it last night. As you can see I didn't take much care about the finishing because I will cover the entire bottom with aluminum tape. I used the 3/16 robart hinge points 3 per half glued with allot of hysol. I now have more than sufficient travel with almost no gap. Here is a picture

Name:	Pm34897.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	1833274  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi there,

I almost finished my V3 Tornado and last night I tried positioning my K100G on the mount to have a feeling of how much hacking must I do to the fuselage to have the engine sit properly and it was TOO MUCH! I can live with too much hacked fuse, the biggest issue that I see is that I even have to hack allot off the engine mount to have the engine sit properly.

I see only two solutions 1. I install the engine a little bit higher than the thrust line or 2. install the engine aft and both are not ideal solutions. The first will require changing the down thrust angle and might result in trim changes with throttle and the second (knowing that I already have composite booms and heavy engine) will result in too tail heavy plane.

Did any of you install K100G on there Tornado V3? If so, can you send pictures showing it installed please? Can you explain how did you go around this problem?

Thanks,

Azzam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: phantom_najd

Hi there,

I almost finished my V3 Tornado and last night I tried positioning my K100G on the mount to have a feeling of how much hacking must I do to the fuselage to have the engine sit properly and it was TOO MUCH! I can live with too much hacked fuse, the biggest issue that I see is that I even have to hack allot off the engine mount to have the engine sit properly.

I see only two solutions 1. I install the engine a little bit higher than the thrust line or 2. install the engine aft and both are not ideal solutions. The first will require changing the down thrust angle and might result in trim changes with throttle and the second (knowing that I already have composite booms and heavy engine) will result in too tail heavy plane.

Did any of you install K100G on there Tornado V3? If so, can you send pictures showing it installed please? Can you explain how did you go around this problem?
    Thanks,
    Azzam
    Swept back turbine mount available on my website along with thicker canopy. Allows for the use of a FOD too.

www.modellbauuk.com
    The Aurora Project
    The Kestrel Project
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...kestrel-7.html
    FCT Kevlar & Hopper Tanks
    www.facebook.com/modellbauuk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: phantom_najd

Hi there,

Thanks,

Azzam
    Not sure how this will compare, but here is a pic of my Rabbit mounted on the stock engine mount. I had to raise the engine slightly by using some wood spacers that were 3/8" / 9mm thick. I only had to ground a small amount of the base to relieve the area for the FOD screen. You can see how much of the fuse I had to remove.

Dan

Name:	Wu62014.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	390.9 KB 
ID:	1836248  
    Oh great are the days my landings = my take-offs....!
    Merlin 160, Jet Central Falcon, Rabbit 100

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's very easy to make a proper mount out of a peice of aluminum sheet metal. I posted this a couple years ago in the Falcon 120 thread. I believe the aluminum is .042 inches thick. I made this for my Wren Supersport, youmay have to modify the design slightly for a different size engine.

A swept back mount is the way to go: you don't have to hack up the rear fuse andcan use the tail weight. I've got about 250 Falcon flightson this oneand I've made several for friends.

Joe

Name:	Lg16019.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	1836279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch95983.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	1836280  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is how much I had to trim off the back of the fuse to make my Rabbit 100 fit properly, didn't want to take that much off but it fits good now.
    I sure wish that with the amount of kits they have sold they could have supplied a decent building manual with more pictures and details for the
    first time guys wanting to get into turbines. The amount of time I spent going through all the posts here and writing down a few notes along the way to reference back once in a while took a lot of time away from building. An updated assembly manual with current V3 pics and where to place all the components would be great, and a canopy and cockpit that would fit without modification would be nice too. I bet I spent 12-15 hours on that alone, and probably 120 hours on the rest of the kit to get it right or maybe more.
    Pat

Name:	Tr50946.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	1836336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk25809.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	1836337  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The problem is......

you now have the nose of your engine into the fuse.... but you don't have any air inlets. So... you are now blocking off the inlet air. It may not cause problems... but just keep your eyes on things for your first couple flights.
    Tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You have a good point there,I have the falcon which is cut out the same way with a super sport, now and again when I push full throttle my engine has made a strange noise like a farting sound never found out as to why maybe lack of air to the engine not sure if this is the problem, thought about cutting some vents in the hatch on fuselage where the wing bolts connect and maybe get some air through to the cut out.

Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok dont kill the messenger but what in the world are you guys doing hacking up the plane the way you are doing, that is crazy. There have been K80 installed on this airframe hundreds of times as well as K100G ( Which are the same size as the K80, Rabbit 100, and even P80 and you never have to hack the hell out of the fuse like that.

Like Dr. Honda said never stick the engine inlet into the fuse I bet you will have problems. Not sure why it is so difficult to mount this engine? it is a breeze Ihave attached a few pictures from this same forum with various different engine installed none of them having to be hacked like that.

Name:	Tq48921.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	415.0 KB 
ID:	1836384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ea84138.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	1836385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fl18278.jpg 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	1836386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om33151.jpg 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	1836387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qm35771.jpg 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	1836388  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq36274.jpg 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	1836389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ke92056.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	1836390  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I have to agree with 747Junky its not rocket science Ihave a Rabbit 100 on mine and it fits perfect just like the picture. On another note just got my new V3 yesterday in the blue and yellow scheme and it looks awesome. The build is much much better, everythng fits perfect and the structure is rock solid. The new larger Fuel tank is very nice and also come with tank hardware. I think I am goign to mount the P90RXI on this one I have a K100G that I ordered but it just got a new home on a Ultra Flash.

Anyway the new kits seem to be great I bought 2 so I will let you guys know if the results are consitant. Iam on my way to work so I will try to get some details online later.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The farting sound is likely a compressor stall. The real test to find out if you have an issue constricting airflow to the turbine is this: run the engine on a test stand with no constriction. Then run it on the plane under same conditions (temp, humidity, etc). If you get no significant increase in EGT when on the plane, you are fine. Go fly!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: patyak

Β*This is how much I had to trim off the back of the fuse to make my Rabbit 100 fit properly, didn't want to take that much off but it fits good now.Β*
    I sure wish that with the amount of kits they have sold they could have supplied a decent building manual with more pictures and details for theΒ*
    first time guys wanting to get into turbines. The amount of time I spent going through all the posts here and writing down a few notes along the way to reference back once in a while took a lot of time away from building. An updated assembly manual with current V3 pics and where to place all the components would be great, and a canopy and cockpit that would fit without modification would be nice too. I bet I spent 12-15 hours on that alone, and probably 120 hours on the rest of the kit to get it right or maybe more.
    Pat
    Must be hard to get things to stay on that mount with it being upside down
    www.letterkennymodelflyingclub.com
    www.jmaireland.com