Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

If you look at all of the pics that 747Junky posted, not one has a FOD screen on them. I'd like you to try and see how all of the turbines will fit after you add one. Iwill never run a turbine without one and is required for my JC warranty. For the record, my Rabbit works perfect with no stutters at all.air is also pulled in from the front nose wheel opening.

Dan
Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 PM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i squeezed the fod aroud the starter motor so it was smaller and fit better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96058.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1836463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys48927.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1836464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb61259.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1836465  
Old 01-03-2013, 03:20 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All you need is one of the raked back engine mounts sold by Modellbau UK, don't have to cut anything and can still use an FOD screen.

Mike

Name:	Ig11093.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1836478  
Old 01-03-2013, 03:39 PM
5skyhawk172

I talked to Henry a couple of days ago.  He said he's been flying one with the K100.  Straight and level 250+ mph.  Now that's what I call a jet trainer!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:02 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

All you need is one of the raked back engine mounts sold by Modellbau UK, don't have to cut anything and can still use an FOD screen.

Mike
That's right! The solution is simple, either buy or make a swepted back mount using the template I show in post #2864. I can't believe so many are carving up their fuses.This was first posted in the Falcon 120thread over a year before Henry came up with the Tornado, and that's how a lot of the conversions were done. Henry should have copied it for the Tornado from the start.

Joe
Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 PM
BaldEagel

Trouble is Joe not all of the new guys know the Tornado evolved from the Falcon 120, by the way how often have you flown yours at 250MPH.

Mike
Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 PM
phantom_najd
My Feedback: (2)

Mike
Hi Mike,

How many degrees down thrust are built-in the raked back mount sold by ModellbauUK? Thanks.

Azzam
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM
phantom_najd

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

Mike

That's right! The solution is simple, either buy or make a swepted back mount using the template I show in post #2864. I can't believe so many are carving up their fuses. This was first posted in the Falcon 120 thread over a year before Henry came up with the Tornado, and that's how a lot of the conversions were done. Henry should have copied it for the Tornado from the start.

Joe
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the template. The problem I have is that Aluminium sheets with the right thickness and strength(?) are not available locally. Though, there is another solution that I am thinking about to bring the engine a little aft. Will post pics if I decided to go that rout.

Azzam
Old 01-03-2013, 04:31 PM
phantom_najd

ORIGINAL: TUMBLER

Hi Tumbler,

Be careful the cable and fuel line going to your engine are rubbing against the sharp hacked-fuse edges.

Azzam
Old 01-03-2013, 04:36 PM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks. Yeah I keep meaning to put something over it but never seem to think of it when's till the jet is at the field and there is nothing I can do haha.

ORIGINAL: phantom_najd

ORIGINAL: TUMBLER

Hi Tumbler,

Be careful the cable and fuel line going to your engine are rubbing against the sharp hacked-fuse edges.

Azzam
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 PM
patyak
My Feedback: (23)

Like I said earlier I didn't want to cut the fuse that much but not all of us fly off of paved runways so I want to leave the screen on, and I ffeel there is going to be enough air flow. When Modellbau sells the complete package kit, retracts, and engine they could ask if you are mounting with
or without the fod screen and supply the right mount. Just my opinion.

Name:	Sq48420.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1836564  
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 AM
BaldEagel

Azzam

I think its about 5 degs.

Patyak

This airframe originally was not designed for turbine operation and has evolved into such, Joeflyer especially and myself carried out the initial conversions, but instructions for this where never available, the thread detailing this is very long and laborious to get through, but does detail the evolution of this airframe.

As already posted the raked back mount supplied by Modellbau UK allows the fitting of the FOD screen, I also fly from a grass field and as you say a FOD is essential.

Mike
Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: patyak

Like I said earlier I didn't want to cut the fuse that much but not all of us fly off of paved runways so I want to leave the screen on, and I ffeel there is going to be enough air flow. When Modellbau sells the complete package kit, retracts, and engine they could ask if you are mounting with
or without the fod screen and supply the right mount. Just my opinion.
The "are you mounting it with or without a FOD screen" question should never come up, if you use a turbine in this setup without a FOD screen then you will damage your turbine, you might get away with it inside a fuselage but even then it is just stupid not to use one.

This mount was probably for a smaller turbine, but even then I still ranked my mount to the rear to give better clearance for the P60. So I think it would be better if the kit mount was not as straight.

PS If you have no photo software, you can view your pics in windows explorer, right click on the picture, and you can then rotate them the correct way up.

Name:	Sp45117.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1836637  
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that FOD screens are cheap insurance and if you have one, use it (as long as the manufacturer says that it is OK for that turb). But I flew A LOT from 1999 thru 2004 and then have flown sporadically since and I never used a FOD screen and I never had an issue. Probably 70% of my flying was off of grass runways.

What scares me more than potential FOD from the outside of the plane is crap coming loose on the inside in a non-ducted installation or where you cut a big chunk out of the aft end of that Tornado fuse. In that case, don't worry too much about a rock getting kicked up (ain't gonna happen unless you fly off of gravel). Worry about a piece of wood coming off the interior.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

This bolded below is not accurate at all. The K80 and K100 are in fact the same size, as they are the same turbine with internal modifications. The P80(se) is bigger than the Kingtechs. However, the rabbit 100 is way smaller than all of them. Here is my rabbit 100 next to my old k80. The rabbit about the same size as a P60 but with 22+ lbs of thrust. But your point of hacking the fuse is right on.

ORIGINAL: 747junky

Ok dont kill the messenger but what in the world are you guys doing hacking up the plane the way you are doing, that is crazy. There have been K80 installed on this airframe hundreds of times as well as K100G ( Which are the same size as the K80, Rabbit 100, and even P80 and you never have to hack the hell out of the fuse like that.

Like Dr. Honda said never stick the engine inlet into the fuse I bet you will have problems. Not sure why it is so difficult to mount this engine? it is a breeze I have attached a few pictures from this same forum with various different engine installed none of them having to be hacked like that.

Name:	Db83682.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1836666  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 AM
uixkes

Hi all,

I am in the process of building my V3.

I would like to know what is the best way to fit the fuel tank.

Any advice and pictures would be appreciated as usual.

Ulrich
Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 PM
BaldEagel

The rear servo support former inside the fus needs to be removed, or cut down to allow the tank to be positioned, flex the fus outwards and the glue will come away from the fus, unless it has been reinforced with Hysol, in which case you may have to cut it away to allow the tank to pass.

Mike
Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't need to do anything with mine, it was a tight fit but it went in
Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 PM
NZjet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we had a tornado here, biggest heap of crap there was, booms flew off on the 4th flight. Decided to make my own plug and complete composite aircraft.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 AM
corndog2
Banned

ORIGINAL: NZjet

we had a tornado here, biggest heap of crap there was, booms flew off on the 4th flight. Decided to make my own plug and complete composite aircraft.

About time someone made a fus withthe centre section of the booms attached. Now if you can get this to market you will have a winner. Have a word with the fly model factory in China I am sure they would be interested in putting this into production and indeed making the wings
Old 01-06-2013, 12:19 AM
ModellbauUK

ORIGINAL: NZjet

Looks pretty cool although the wing section looks a whole lot thinner than the Tornado wings.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:35 AM
Xairflyer

That is exactly how the modified/improved Falcon 120 should have been built, although I am curious with yours how you intend to bolt on the turbine.

By the way if your Booms flew off then you probably never re glued the captive nut blocks in the booms, I agree you shouldnt have to especially on the "modified" Tornado, but everything needs to be re-glued as the glue they use in china is made from flour and water
Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 AM
BaldEagel

I thought that too, not only the turbine mount, but it does not look as though it has split flaps either, are they still to be cut out and hinged? or are they live hinged and not freed up yet?

Mike
Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 AM
Xairflyer

Mike it actually looks a bit small overall if you compare it to the the petrol model above it.?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:26 AM
BaldEagel

Shame you can't quite see the dia of the prop, but its x 10 looking at the pic, so as you say may be a bit small, perhaps he will come back onto the thread and explain??

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.