Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 120 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130 ... LastLast
Results 2,976 to 3,000 of 3564

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: The new Tornado sport jet

I simply buy quality but economical extensions, cut them, and solder in the length I need. Simple, fast , and you did it yourself so you know it was done right. NEVER an issue in the last 39 years. Paying $100 for extensions for one plane? That is (I am sorry, but it is) NUTS!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That was a total of 17 extensions and 2 Y's. I could have gotten away with half that by running long extensions all the way to the receiver, but I wanted to have connections at the boom/wing interface and at the wing/fuse interface so that I could remove the booms or wings without rewiring or pulling everything out of the fuse each time. Yes, it's a lot of extensions but the extra expense has been worth it over the past 4 years.

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cutting a servo lead and adding in wire is not a very clever idea, especially if you have to change out a servo.

You simply buy 5M or 10M lengths of servo cable, plus the plugs and sockets and make the leads yourself to suit, for about 1/10th the price of buying leads and then messing about soldering them up.
    www.letterkennymodelflyingclub.com
    www.jmaireland.com

Mark, I have to agree with Xair. It's just as quick and easier to just make up a new extension.
    Dean,
    A10FLYR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

Cutting a servo lead and adding in wire is not a very clever idea, especially if you have to change out a servo.

You simply buy 5M or 10M lengths of servo cable, plus the plugs and sockets and make the leads yourself to suit, for about 1/10th the price of buying leads and then messing about soldering them up.
    This is what I've done successfully for years on big 40% & Jets without ever having a single issue (in the air, I've screwed up a few during installs). You have to have a good quality supplier though, there are garbage connectors out there that look really good on the websites. Where can I buy quality braided servo wire with quality connecters?
    Call Sign blocked.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is exactly what I do. What ever made you guys think that I was cutting the servo's wire and extending it. If you knew that the servo would forever be used in that one application, then that may be OK, but I never do that. I am talking about soldering in an extension into the middle of a servo extension. Thus making up a custom length extension.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Woketman

That is exactly what I do. What ever made you guys think that I was cutting the servo's wire and extending it. If you knew that the servo would forever be used in that one application, then that may be OK, but I never do that. I am talking about soldering in an extension into the middle of a servo extension. Thus making up a custom length extension.
    There is no solder required to make your own servo extensions. Just buy a roll of high quality servo wire (I like braided), get the male/female housings & the pins & go to town. Custom made servo extensions of the highest quality & completely custom legnthed to your application. Saves weight & makes for a neater install also because there is not a lot of extranious servo wire material lying around
    Call Sign blocked.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have done that too, in the past. But I never felt as confident doing the manual pin crimping (yes, I bought the right tool, still the factory-done crimps were always more uniform looking to me). But the wire soldering I am 110% confident in and have never had an issue. The weight gain from the extra solder joints is meaningful on a park flyer, but not on typical jets. So yes, I agree that if I felt totally confident in the crimping, that would be the preferred way to go, but just not for me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why is it that when someone does something different from anyone else, it not the proper way of doing it? If woketmen feels comfortable with adding the extension in the middle and soldering it, who cares. Not only that, it's his money. If he wants to buy $50.00 worth of extensions, cut them and add to it, why shouldn't he? It's his jet, or 3D airplane, not yours. Now if you want to come on here and tell him "It's not safe doing it like that", then you had better back it up.....

Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I did not take any of it as any criticism in any way. These forums are here to swap ideas. Just trying to help and save some folks some $$$. But yes, everyone here should most definitely always point out any unsafe ideas. Could prevent a tragedy someday.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I did not take any of it as any criticism in any way. These forums are here to swap ideas. Just trying to help and save some folks some $$$. But yes, everyone here should most definitely always point out any unsafe ideas. Could prevent a tragedy someday.....
    Yeah, I don't see anything unsafe about your method. I use all available resources, a lil of this & a lil of that.. Since I have not been able to find a quality supplier for making my own, I've been doing plenty of splicing. I find a good technique to be to use three pieces of heat shrink, one for each solder connection, & one larger longer to encase the entire thing. I don't think you can go wrong that way either. I'd just suggest putting the solder connection somewhere it will not bend/flex a lot.
    Call Sign blocked.

I have a turbine f-16, I used 22 guage braded servo wire from custom electronics. Braided is ok but it not stay straight very easy. The smaller guage they sell is very brittle and I had problems with it.

I have only crimped mine as soldering them will also make them more brittle if any solder goes up under the insulation. If you use the crimping method, do not over crimp, else it becomes brittle.

So another point to consider is there is some risk in making your own extensions, its not easy and I would not learn to do it on a turbine jet. Try a smaller plane/jet first.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BlueBus320

Yeah, I don't see anything unsafe about your method. I use all available resources, a lil of this & a lil of that.. Since I have not been able to find a quality supplier for making my own, I've been doing plenty of splicing. I find a good technique to be to use three pieces of heat shrink, one for each solder connection, & one larger longer to encase the entire thing. I don't think you can go wrong that way either. I'd just suggest putting the solder connection somewhere it will not bend/flex a lot.
    That is EXACTLY my same shrink tubing method! Three small on each wire and one big one over the entire thing. I try to make the big one extra long to give a gradual stiffness relief where the wires may fatigue at the transition point from solder soaked back to flexible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is EXACTLY my same shrink tubing method! Three small on each wire and one big one over the entire thing. I try to make the big one extra long to give a gradual stiffness relief where the wires may fatigue at the transition point from solder soaked back to flexible.

Make sure that the flux you use is acid free when you solder servo wires

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: corndog2

Make sure that the flux you use is acid free when you solder servo wires
    I was going to make the same point. You either use acid free flux and make sure that the solder you use has acid free core (?) or better use iso-propel alcohol or acetone with acid brush to thoroughly clean the solder joint.

Azzam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Something I have done in the past to avoid bulk being threaded down booms and into wings is to take the outer plastic casing off the plug and socket and plug the leads together and shrink wrap them individually and then shrink wrap them all together if that makes sense.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.
    No matter what anyone say's 100% is the maximum you can get.
    If you see a deleted post, my Avatar say's it all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Never thought of that.  That's a great idea. Keith
    AMA 50764
    Private Pilot Single Engine Land
    1961 Cessna 172 Skyhawk N7445X
    My parents didn't put me in time out, they whooped my ass!
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #5
    Sig Brotherhood #16
    Cub Brotherhood #160
    Glow Head Brotherhood #9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How about soldering the pins together then shrink wrap them.
    AMA 50764
    Private Pilot Single Engine Land
    1961 Cessna 172 Skyhawk N7445X
    My parents didn't put me in time out, they whooped my ass!
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #5
    Sig Brotherhood #16
    Cub Brotherhood #160
    Glow Head Brotherhood #9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 5skyhawk172

How about soldering the pins together then shrink wrap them.
    That stops you from being able to change the servo easily, and once shrink wrapped they don't need soldering, also a replacement may be needed, nine times out of ten I change a servo because I want to upgrade a control surface for better resolution on what is turning out to be a worthwhile airframe.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's true if you want to change a servo, but I think he ment along the fuse or in the wing for an aileron servo. I like to make paper tubes to run my lead through so if I have to change a lead, it's just a matter of pulling out the old one and inserting a new one. Also, if you are lucky to keep a plane longer than a year, the leads don't get chaffed from rubbing on the ribs. I do the same thing with the fuselage. Then they are covered with aluminum tape or BVM heat shield in my jets.......

Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well to my surprise after I got home last night from Flying across the globe, my wife had a box in my work shop and it was my new Tornado. I was excited because I sold my last one and they have been sold out or a while and Henry too me to hop off till this batch anyway because there was going to be alot changes and boy there were.

The plane looks great I think the best one I have seen I terms of quality. The craftsmanship is excellent and yes all the glue joints are perfect. Looks like they did it right this time. The new fuel tank is awesome for my new K100 that I got with it. Barry at King Tech is always so helpful. I got the Blue and yellow and will be putting smoke system in it. Henry made me a custom drop tank for te bottom of the plane so I have around 40 oz of smoke juice.

Great job. See you guys at Florida Jets I will be there with my Tornado and Der Jet Cougar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep, me too. I always cut and soldered extensions together and have never had an issue in 20+ years. I will buy a 36" extension and cut it down to 30" for example or if a servo goes bad and its tough to run a new extension through the plane, it cut off the servo and solder a new one right to the old wire.

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

This is what I've done successfully for years on big 40% & Jets without ever having a single issue (in the air, I've screwed up a few during installs). You have to have a good quality supplier though, there are garbage connectors out there that look really good on the websites. Where can I buy quality braided servo wire with quality connecters?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not sure if the "you better back it up post" was aimed at me over my comment but if you read it again I said cutting a servo lead and adding in wire is not a clever idea, safety was never mentioned.
    If you cut a servo cable and add in a length of wire, then feed it through a wing or boom and later you have a problem with a servo or strip a gear you have to pull the whole thing back through again and then repeat your extension with the new servo. That was my only point.
    If you cant make a servo lead yourself then extending a servo extension with wire is yes still better than plugging together three or four extension leads to make up the length.

Woketman
    I agree about your point crimping the pins, but if you have a few basics correct you can produce a factory type crimp.
    Proper servo pliers:-
    Correct crimps:-
    crimps must be the type with the pointy tabs not the ones that are squared off, these are useless for using with a crimping tool as they don't allow the tabs to fold along side each other properly.
    Correct grade of wire:-
    Too thick of wire and twisted silicone wire which is common used in jets, is very difficult to crimp correctly due to the thickness of the insulation. You can get a very good crimp with normal servo wire (what the crimps are designed for) everytime, but a bit more skill is needed and really a different crimp with longer tabs for the thicker stuff.
    I used to only use twisted wire but now unless they are pre-made extension leads I now only use the flat stuff, gone are the days where it was said twisted was better to prevent EMI, RFI etc now with 2.4ghz.
    www.letterkennymodelflyingclub.com
    www.jmaireland.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you have the proper tools and the skills to do it, then by all means do it. Because someone rather make up the leads his way, does it mean he shouldn't? That was what I was trying to say. Everyone of us on this forum decides to do thing our way, does that mean they are worng? If someone has 39 years of flying, and has always made their own extension leads, the way they disscribed here, are you going to tell them they shouldn't do it that way? Sure you are, but that doesn't mean they are going to change the way they have always done it just because you say so. Getting to "you point", I'm sure they didn't hardwire the servo to the extension lead. If they have been doing it this way, then yes you are correct is saying "It's not clever to do it that way". I have read most of the threads on this post up to this point, and I don't see anywhere he mentioned that he "hardwired" the servo to the extension. If I have learned anything from this post is this, there are going to always be someone that says "you shouldn't do it that way". That doesn't mean it's correct or not. As long as they are satisfied with it and have never had a problem, who are you to tell them they "should not do it that way"???

Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Instructor

That's true if you want to change a servo, but I think he ment along the fuse or in the wing for an aileron servo.

Larry
    You have posted "who are you to tell anyone they are doing it wrong", so your rolling eye's quote at the beginning of your reply is unnecessary and quite rude.

In my 50 odd years of flying RC I have used every type of extension lead, they all work if you have the skill and knowledge to do the work.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.