Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Old 01-19-2011, 04:10 AM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

Yes out of town Beave im keeping up public relations down South if you know what I mean, but dont worry I can send my stand-in Flaco LOL even though he flies a different mode he can be there for encouragement.

As for the spring's I do agree about not making the holes to small, but as far as the springs weakening I can honestly tell you that we are up to 100+ flights on the Factory Demo and no spring issues yet.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:20 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Henry

I fly from a rough grass pasture so the springs weaken with all the abuse they take, fitting some stiffer springs cured it, but I am afraid the luxury of a hard runway which the original springs where designed for escapes most of us in the normal club atmosphere in the UK.

Mike
Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Flaco? CONYO! Sending an Ecuadorian to do a man's job?

Oh...wait a minute...

Beave

ORIGINAL: Modellbau USA

Yes out of town Beave im keeping up public relations down South if you know what I mean, but dont worry I can send my stand-in Flaco LOL even though he flies a different mode he can be there for encouragement.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:18 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey B are you going to get one of these to replace your Tango
Is Henry going to have a demo at FL Jets, I'll need something to warm up on since I haven't been able to fly my Jet since October
Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Uh...no.

Uh...I don't know.

Beave [&:]

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Hey B are you going to get one of these to replace your Tango

s Henry going to have a demo at FL Jets, I'll need something to warm up on since I haven't been able to fly my Jet since October
Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 AM
jbenko
My Feedback: (73)

Hi all - I picked up my Tornado, servo and strut package from Alberto last week. This kit, although somewhat similar in look to the Falcon 120 is not even remotely close in construction. The wings are fully sheeted and it is built and covered extremely well with much attention given to wood selection. The struts and wheel package are Spring Air, as are the retracts. The strut package matches the plane perfectly. I must say for $475 the base kit it isan outstandingvalue and is perfect for entry level, small field or sport jet guys (like me!) The manual although not in the box can be downloaded from www.modellbauusa.com and is highly detailed with excellent color photos. It looks like it should go together in a weekend or4-5 weeknights. The servo package, although not digital, is made up of highqualitymetal gear servos perfectly adaquate for the airframe. Theincludedextension set and LiFe battery arevery nice and at $250 for the bundle,is really a no-brainer. try shopping for the equivalent servo, extension and battery combo as I did and you'll see what I mean.Add a Super Bee or P-60 and you are in the air with NEW stuff for less the $3k. ...and no, I'm not on Flacco's payroll!! :-)

I'm looking forward to getting started on mine. I have to finish up the Sprint rehab. I'm doing first.

Update:Having just read back through the thread,I see most if not all of this info has been posted a million times. Sorry butI guess Ishould have read throughit a bitbefore adding my two cents. DOH!I don't spend too much time here in the forums....

See ya at the field.........Jeff

Old 01-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Modellbau USA

We are expecting to be at Florida jet, we will have a Tornado, F86D, MB339, and a Sapac Viper jet with P20 as Demo planes.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Mike06659

Have there been any pictures of the F-86 posted?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:29 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jbenko

Hi all - I picked up my Tornado, servo and strut package from Alberto last week. This kit, although somewhat similar in look to the Falcon 120 is not even remotely close in construction. The wings are fully sheeted and it is built and covered extremely well with much attention given to wood selection. The struts and wheel package are Spring Air, as are the retracts. The strut package matches the plane perfectly. I must say for $475 the base kit it is an outstanding value and is perfect for entry level, small field or sport jet guys (like me!) The manual although not in the box can be downloaded from http://<span style=''font-family: Ve...</font></span> and is highly detailed with excellent color photos. It looks like it should go together in a weekend or 4-5 weeknights. The servo package, although not digital, is made up of high quality metal gear servos perfectly adaquate for the airframe. The included extension set and LiFe battery are very nice and at $250 for the bundle, is really a no-brainer. try shopping for the equivalent servo, extension and battery combo as I did and you'll see what I mean. Add a Super Bee or P-60 and you are in the air with NEW stuff for less the $3k. ...and no, I'm not on Flacco's payroll!! :-)

I'm looking forward to getting started on mine. I have to finish up the Sprint rehab. I'm doing first.

Update:Having just read back through the thread, I see most if not all of this info has been posted a million times. Sorry but I guess I should have read through it a bit before adding my two cents. DOH! I don't spend too much time here in the forums....

See ya at the field.........Jeff

Jeff,
I'm doing the math and "under $3K" does not work out......

$475 + $250 + $285 = $1,010. Where are you getting a P60 or Super Bee new for under $2,000?
Thanks

Dave
Old 01-21-2011, 03:44 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Dave, actually Henry's deal was buy a P60 and get the tornado free! $2450 + $250 + $285 = $2985
Old 01-22-2011, 10:12 AM
pmu1957
My Feedback: (26)

hey all
Where can I get a thicker replacement canopy? Mine cracked when I cutting  and fitting it on . it feel very thin

pat

Old 01-22-2011, 10:20 AM
noray1

You can get one from Ray. Canopy is made with .060 (1/16th) clear plastic.
Price is $15.00 + $10.00 S&H in the USA & Canada. PayPal is good
Contact Ray @ [email protected]

Old 01-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Kenrico

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey y'all
I started the build on the tornado, got all hinged and servos in wings with retracts, but the wheel wells look like a little more work than just screw down, so I was thinking if the plane could be flown with out them? What would be the risk ?
Open to all opinions.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Modellbau USA

Kenric you need to download the Wheel well addendum on our website. It is very easy to do
Old 01-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Kenrico

Got it Henry, when you posted about this I did download it but I only got the first page for the nose wheel. my bad!.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:30 PM
arockwell

OK here is what I did with the main gear wheel wells. I first cut the wood to fit the wheel retracted into the whole. Then I took the plastic cup and cut it to fit inside of the wing and fit the wheel.
I then took the cup and painted it jet white. Used ZAP Goo to glue the cup in place. Then I took thin balsa and trimmed it to fit in the extra space and fill the whole that was to big. Then glued it
in place and used white covering to cover it up. The covering I used is not the same exact color so I will be getting some and redoing the covering. here are some pics of what I did.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hf99387.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1,016.3 KB
ID:	1552956   Click image for larger version

Name:	fc90403.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	909.5 KB
ID:	1552957   Click image for larger version

Name:	vq50528.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1552958   Click image for larger version

Name:	ca82163.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	966.8 KB
ID:	1552959  
Old 01-26-2011, 04:45 AM
rpat

OK I have every thing gathered up to start my build except the brakes. I need the brake valve and do not know what set up to use. Should I use a valve that is like the retract valve or is there another type that you would use for the brakes?
Rich
Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 AM
siclick33

There are loads of options for brake valves.

Electronic valve such as Jet-tronic - simple to set up as there is no need for a servo.
Proportional valve such as Ultra Precision UP-6 or BVM Smoothstop.
On/Off 'switch' such as BVM button valve. You can set up your retract servo to 'overtravel' and press the brakes. Therefore you only need one servo for both gear and brakes.
Combined gear/brake valve such as Behotec. These are very handy as you only need one servo and airline hook up is easy.

I have used all of them and they all have pros/cons.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:53 AM
BaldEagel

Rich

All accords on what brakes you get, if they are an expanding O ring type then not much will help eleviate the grabbing they sometimes have without lubrication and extra work, not worth it IMO, if you get the expanding disc type of brake then the low loss valves from Jet Tonics seem to be the best bet, proportional braking and very low loss of air during part application, you can get about 6 applications of the brake on a single air fill from a standard type air bottle, or so I have found.

Mike
Old 01-26-2011, 04:57 AM
rpat

OK guys I got the retracts, and struts off of Henry. so tell me what kind are they?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:01 AM
BaldEagel

Rich

No idea, if you can measure the width at the bottom of the strut I can check against the brakes I have to see if they will fit, I have various types so can give you a good idea what you need.

Mike
Old 01-26-2011, 05:14 AM
siclick33

Did you get the brakes from Henry too? Are you looking for brakes or just a valve?

I have attached 2 pics to show the different types of brakes. The first is O-ring, the second disk brakes. If you take the wheel off it should be easy to tell.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22993.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	1553335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78573.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1553336  
Old 01-26-2011, 05:22 AM
rpat

Ok I got the brakes with the retract package all in one piece. I am going to have to take them apart to see what kind they are. If any one wants to jump in her and tell me what kind they are it would be helpful. I am not going to be home today to tear them down to find out.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:25 AM
Kenrico

The brakes that come with the package from Henry are O-ring type.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:51 PM
rpat

Thanks kenrico.
So now that I (we) know type they are what valve should I get?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.