Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:57 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

From looking at the pictures in post #29 I can tell that the struts are too long. The Falcon 120 was designed with long struts so that a rear mounted prop will clear the ground. Obviously you copied that from the Falcon 120, however prop clearance is not a concern with a turbine.

The plane looks odd with such long struts and the extra leverage makes it easier to rip out landing gear mounts on a rough landing. For these reasons a lot of guys shorten the struts when they convert a Falcon 120 to turbine. The tornado would look a lot better if you shortened the struts by 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Additionally it would be beneficial if it were designed to accommodate knee action struts, such as Prolinks

Joe
Old 10-27-2010, 03:51 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

From looking at the pictures in post #29 I can tell that the struts are too long. The Falcon 120 was designed with long struts so that a rear mounted prop will clear the ground. Obviously you copied that from the Falcon 120, however prop clearance is not a concern with a turbine.

The plane looks odd with such long struts and the extra leverage makes it easier to rip out landing gear mounts on a rough landing. For these reasons a lot of guys shorten the struts when they convert a Falcon 120 to turbine. The tornado would look a lot better if you shortened the struts by 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Additionally it would be beneficial if it were designed to accommodate knee action struts, such as Prolinks

Joe
+1
Hence my reason for asking what size strut the retract would accept...still no answer[]
Old 10-27-2010, 04:00 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Joe
+1
Old 10-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, definitely shorter struts are called for. Hopefully bent-knee type.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:15 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Joe
+1
Old 10-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich I actually replied to you this morning maybe you missed it the gear takes 3/8 struts and I did mention that the rabbit would be perfect fit.

We have made 5 airplanes that had different configurations to test several things on this jet. We decided to use longer struts for many reasons, one main reason was that the custom Spring Air retracts and struts offered were designed to bend before causing any damage to the wing structure. The longer struts as well as the off-set that they are built with cause a force vector that is directly linear to the Oleo Leg. The strut will bend straight back instead of creating a twisting moment and then bend causing trauma to the wing structure that your normal " L " strut will have. We are in the process of finishing trailing link struts that will fit into our gear in about 3 months. The struts will be trailing link but will extend straight when no weight is on them allowing them to fit into the wing with out cutting the bottom of the wing.

We have made this plane for one reason and one reason only. As you probably see the plane is very in expensive in comparison to other kits and comes with name brand high quality equipment. We are not making very much money at all selling this kit or the future F-86D that we are releasing because we want to give back to the RC community and increase sales for the vendors that we are using to produce our parts. We have been very fortunate to get a very large contract for our UAV's which has made us very financially stable, thats is why we are doing what we are doing. Jet Cat,Spring Air, Weatronics USA and Graupner has supported our business for several years and now we are trying to move there product aggressively to show our gratitude. Like I said we have a deal with the Jet Cat P60 that will sound almost impossible in November to do just that move product. If you guys have any ideas for future projects we are open to suggestions. As an avid modeler for over 18 years, this hobby has given me a lot and I feel like its time to give back.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Excellent this is what the jet side of the hobby needs. Who is the UK distributor?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Modellbau USA

At this time we are selling to all of our clients around the world until our second shipment of Tornado's arrives which is designated for all of our distributers and clients.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:57 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I missed the 3/8" struts in post #27...sorry
Old 10-28-2010, 04:03 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are the 3/8" struts straight into the retract trunnion or are they grub screwed onto 1/4" pins?

Mike
Old 10-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Modellbau USA

The 3/8 main struts get mounted directly into the trunnion, the nose uses a pin because of the steering mechanism
Old 10-28-2010, 11:07 AM
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)

Hey Henry will the turbine be angled down like on the bobcat or straight. The local club does not like my bobcat because I burn the grass.

Thanks
Jose
Old 10-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Modellbau USA

The engine mount is only angled 6 degrees so no problem there. It is barley noticeable so your local club will need a protractor to measure the angel
Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 AM
falconco
My Feedback: (22)

I am amazed at the attention Henry and Modellbau are giving to this new plane. All questions seem to be answered quickly by Henry. Nice to see this type of support on a new product. Can't wait for it to be available!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Modellbau USA

Thank you we will do our best to give the best service possible.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:44 PM
hippo-1216

Put my name on list today hope to get one This jet looks great i have a p-60 that will be going in
Old 10-28-2010, 05:58 PM
747junky

I am getting the full package, its an awesome deal I cant wait to see the rest of the pictures. I have a friend that fly's at Markham park in Florida and said that this thing fly awesome. Apparently during the testing henry was playing pass the radio and let people fly it and the over all consensus was that its a ***** cat to fly.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Pepperpete

The website is down. When can we expect it to be back up?

Oh and you can count me in for one of these Tornado's. It will replace my Falcon nicely.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Ibanez408

Indeed Im getting a full package. I already have the P60SE..Just waiting on the call to Order.
[8D]

SanJose-Jets
SanJose, Ca
Old 10-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Modellbau USA

The website is not down its up and running please check the web address www.modellbauusa.com thank you for your post. Please email me at [email protected] with your name, phone number and email address so we can add you to the list
Old 10-28-2010, 08:33 PM
MITFREAK

Yup im in to for a full package, i purchased a P70 from him yesterday
Old 10-28-2010, 09:38 PM
rcjetn
My Feedback: (2)

Good looking plane, but I suppose it is too late to design this plane with an integral wing center section (with retracts), like the Boomerangs. If the wings/booms/horiz. stab have to be removed for transport, assembly/disassembly at the field will be a chore. That was the main disadvantage of the Falcon 120, IMHO. Also, what airfoil are you using (flat, semi-symmetrical or full symmetrical)?

Jack
Old 10-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Modellbau USA

The tail of the plane is all one piece. The elevator is designed to be glued to the booms, so all you have to do is unscrew the 4 bolts for the booms and that is one complete piece. As for the airfoil it is a semi-symmetrical airfoil that has been modified to have good slow speed characteristics as well as high speed. That is what makes this jet so great, it looks good and fly's even better
Old 10-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

I would probably strap a Rabbit on mine when I get =) !!!
Old 10-29-2010, 01:55 AM
HELLFIRE989

edit ... found the info i needed on your website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.