Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Old 10-31-2010, 11:21 PM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

The servos used are HS225 size for the elevator and rudder, ailerons,flaps steering are standard size. As for the airplane being pre-hinged, the answer is no. The slots are cut for the hinges but not glued. Remember the wings and elevator are built up not composite.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:23 PM
Pepperpete

ORIGINAL: Modellbau USA

The servos used are HS225 size for the elevator and rudder, ailerons,flaps steering are standard size. As for the airplane being pre-hinged, the answer is no. The slots are cut for the hinges but not glued. Remember the wings and elevator are built up not composite.
Ah ok and really that isn't a big deal. How about the fuel load? I think instead of me asking question after question it might be nice to have a data sheet or something posted. I know I'm not the only one who is curious to know more.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Modellbau USA

The fuel tank is a 80oz composite tank
Old 10-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Modellbau USA

Tornado data sheet
Included in kit
80oz composite fuel tank
Installed Spring Air retracts
Composite control horns
Hardware
Molded canopy tub
Aluminum Turbine mount installed
Customer service with a smile :-)
Parts required
4- Mini servo for rudder and elevator
5- standard servo for Ail,Flaps and Steering
2- servos for gear and brakes
Struts,wheels and brakes
UAT
Brake valve
Servo extensions
Turbine
Old 11-01-2010, 03:35 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Holy Smokes!!!! must be one helluva UAV contract amigo.

nice work and congrats on this successful venture.

can't wait to hear about the smokin JetCat deal you mentioned previously. should be a lot of happy campers this Christmas

cheers
Old 11-01-2010, 10:39 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Henry,
Would an AMT Mercury physically fit on there? I know it's heavier than the other engines you've recommended, it's an old school engine for sure, 17lbs thrust, but I would like a budget jet and I you can pick up air start mercury's for under a grand.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Modellbau USA

I tried to fit a mercury today on the engine mount and it is to big. Plus it would be very heavy with that engine. Do me a favor and give me a call 954-224-1700 and we can discuss an option
Old 11-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Modellbau USA

More pics of what's in the box!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77619.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1526750  
Old 11-01-2010, 03:57 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't want to start a controversy however a 225 servo on the elivator on a Turbine Jet model....really???[X(]

HS-225 Specs
Operating Speed (4.8V): 0.14sec/60° at no load
Operating Speed (6.0V): 0.11sec/60° at no load
Stall Torque (4.8V): 54.15 oz/in. (3.9kg.cm)
Stall Torque (6.0V): 66.65 oz/in. (4.8kg.cm)
Old 11-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Pepperpete

I am very surprised to see a metal wing tube instead of carbon fiber. The metal tubes on the Falcon where reported to fail and weighed much more. Will you offer carbon as an upgrade?

Hellfire and I fly from a grass field here in Kelowna and we need to see exactly what the strut and wheel package will include. There is no way we want to keep lousy wire gear on this bird. Will the strut package also come with new wheel well plastic covers to compensate for the size increase?

Thank you for answering my MANY questions as you are really doing a great job at communicating with your customer base.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:10 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

I don't want to start a controversy however a 225 servo on the elivator on a Turbine Jet model....really???[X(]
they are close to about the same specs as JR DS3421's and i've used the 3421s on rudder/elevators/ailerons on both my TamJet A4's and a few other jets with no problems.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:56 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I used HS225 servos on a couple of planes in the past. They do not center well and I've had several fail on me. Also if you use 6 volts they don't last very long. I would never again use them for control surfaces on any plane, let alone a jet.

Joe
Old 11-01-2010, 06:12 PM
joeflyer

I have a couple comments/suggestions after looking at the photos.

The front of the engine mount surface has the same sharp corner as the Falcon 120. Unless that area is strengthened it will crack there the first time someone bounces a landing. Have you sufficiently strengthened the rear fuse/mount area?

Hopefully the wheel/strut openings and the servo openings will not be cut out as shown in the picture. If the kit comes with the monokote intact over those areas then the builder will have the option to relocate the main wheel wells for shorter or knee action struts without having to patch the monokote. Also the plane looks a lot better if the rudder servos are on the inboard side of the booms. It would also be desireable to be able to make that modification without having to patch monokote over the servo openings on the outboard side of the booms.

Other than that it looks like a winner.

Joe
Old 11-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Pepperpete

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

The front of the engine mount surface has the same sharp corner as the Falcon 120. Unless that area is strengthened it will crack there the first time someone bounces a landing. Have you sufficiently strengthened the rear fuse/mount area?

Hopefully the wheel/strut openings and the servo openings will not be cut out as shown in the picture. If the kit comes with the monokote intact over those areas then the builder will have the option to relocate the main wheel wells for shorter or knee action struts without having to patch the monokote. Also the plane looks a lot better if the rudder servos are on the inboard side of the booms. It would also be desireable to be able to make that modification without having to patch monokote over the servo openings on the outboard side of the booms.

Joe
It's just my opinion but I don't agree about having the rudder servo's on the inside. On the Falcon I had a hot start and the flame blast melted off all of the lower monocote on the tail but the elevator servo area (which is near the top) wasn't even scorched. If the rudder servo's had been on the inside of the boom in the lower position they would have been right in the way and who knows what damage would have been done. This is just my own situation and I haven't had a hotstart since but I'm glad the falcon was the way it was.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Would have preferred to see the elevator servo in the tailplane like many have done to the Falcon/bobcats much better job. Easy to modify this the same way I suppose.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Modellbau USA

If you read my post closely I said HS225MG SIZE not that servo just that servo SIZE. We are selling our own servo's so we will not use Hitec or any other brand by that matter. As for the covering it is not cut so if you want to modify the plane and put the servos strapped to the turbine you as builders can do that, but the instructions will show how we recommend you build it and we will back our product as long as you build it per our instructions. We have thoroughly tested our airplane and everything works great and does not break or fall apart. The motor mount area has been strengthened and if you install the size engine we recommend you will not have any problem. The wing tub is a thick aluminum and has a 6 inch wood dowel that is glued on the in side. So if you bend the tub you have other problems to deal with!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Pepperpete

If you read my post closely I said HS225MG SIZE not that servo just that servo SIZE. We are selling our own servo's so we will not use Hitec or any other brand by that matter. As for the covering it is not cut so if you want to modify the plane and put the servos strapped to the turbine you as builders can do that, but the instructions will show how we recommend you build it and we will back our product as long as you build it per our instructions. We have thoroughly tested our airplane and everything works great and does not break or fall apart. The motor mount area has been strengthened and if you install the size engine we recommend you will not have any problem. The wing tub is a thick aluminum and has a 6 inch wood dowel that is glued on the in side. So if you bend the tub you have other problems to deal with!!!
Would that not be considerably heavier than carbon fiber for the wing tube? I suppose it's easy enough for us to swap. I bet my Falcon tube will slide right in. I also realize you guys are hitting an excellent price point here. K I'm sold. Thanks for answering all the questions. If you get a chance to show the struts/wheels that would be great but no rush.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Modellbau USA

Again if you build the plane as per our instructions it will weight approx. 14lb. ready to fly without fuel. The wing spar weighs 3 oz I am trying to keep the cost of the kit down that is why i did not include a carbon spar. At the price we are selling this plane it is $165 dollars cheaper than the falcon 120 with the same gear which is far inferior from what this plane is.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Modellbau USA

I would also like to announcethat Southern Cross RC will be our exclusive distributer for Australia and New Zealand.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Pepperpete

Again if you build the plane as per our instructions it will weight approx. 14lb. ready to fly without fuel. The wing spar weighs 3 oz I am trying to keep the cost of the kit down that is why i did not include a carbon spar. At the price we are selling this plane it is $165 dollars cheaper than the falcon 120 with the same gear which is far inferior from what this plane is.
Yup I completely understand what you are saying. I'm sold.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:30 PM
dunk
My Feedback: (153)

I was wondering if you were able to come up with a solution for an AMT 180? The width of the front intake is 100mm= 3.93 inches and the min mounting width appears to be 125mm= 4.92 inches on my manual. It weighs 3.1 lbs to boot.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 PM
rpat

Henry,
I am a little confused on the servos. I take it that the servos that you are talking about will not be offered as part of the kit. If that is the case I want other guys to chime in here and tell me what servos you would consider using on this bird. This will be my first jet and I know at the speed that this bird will be flying at will take some decent servos to handle the resistance from the speed.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Modellbau USA

Well let me clear a few things up we are offering a servo package for this plane. The servos are made by us they are all metal gear dual ball bearing servos. The are all very high quality and with stand what ever you put them through. The servo package will cost $250 dollars that includes all servos needed for this airplane as well as extensions and a LiFe 6.6 battery. I will not recommend anything else since we have been using our servos on everything we fly for many years. If you choose to use other brands I would steer you towards JR as a good alternative.

As for the the AMT 180 sorry the turbine mount is made for only 3.25-3.75 engines, P60,P70,Super Bee,King Tech K-80, Wren 75, Jet Joe 1400
ah never mind JK LOL.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:56 PM
joeflyer

ORIGINAL: Pepperpete

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

Joe
It's just my opinion but I don't agree about having the rudder servo's on the inside. On the Falcon I had a hot start and the flame blast melted off all of the lower monocote on the tail but the elevator servo area (which is near the top) wasn't even scorched. If the rudder servo's had been on the inside of the boom in the lower position they would have been right in the way and who knows what damage would have been done. This is just my own situation and I haven't had a hotstart since but I'm glad the falcon was the way it was.
Exactly what was melted? Mine are outboard but if I were to build another I would put them in the same location on the boom as original except inboard. Additionally I would mount them sideways, so that the servo is inside the boom. I just took some measurements off of my Falcon and that would be about 6 inches behind and about 9 inches to the right and left of the tailcone. From looking at the plane that would clearly be out of the path of any flame exiting the tailcone.

There are about 10 Falcons in my RC club and several of the guys have put them there. Some have experienced hot-starts and the only area that got torched was the bottom of the elevator stab. Sounds like your experience was different.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Mike06659

It's a record for RCU. It took a whole five pages for the jet experts to chime in and re-engineer most of the jet. Build it per instructions and equipment and I'm sure it will be a great flyer.

Keep it simple it's suppost to be fun!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.