Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:15 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

ORIGINAL: DrYankum

Yup, plain old Multiplex for Aileron and flaps, second one for rudder and elevator. Make sure you make the connections opposites!
Greg

Now you've done it ..you got me confused. What second one? I'm planning on using a 6 pin multiplex with the signal wire form the aileron,flap, rudder and elevator connected to each of 4 pins and then all 4 positives to one pin and all 4 negatives to the 6th pin.Will there be a current problem all going to one pin? Also not sure what you mean about making the connections opposites.
Jerry
I run Aileron and flap on one Multiplex. 1 pin to 1 wire, so I don't run multiple wires to a pin. Then I have Elevator and rudder on a second Multiplex.
I make sure that the A/F is male, the E/R is female. That way you always plug in the correct servo pairs.
I don't want to find out the hard way that there was a current flow issue! [X(]

Greg
Old 08-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Just ordered the whole kit and kaboodle from Henry!! Kingtech 80 (which I already had) and Tornado......I want them to make babies!

Dont let me down Henry!!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:40 AM
DrYankum
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jetflyr...thanks; now I see the light. Your picture showed only 1 muiltiplex...probably the R/E connections. Did you put those on Ys or separate channels?

Jerry
Old 08-19-2011, 06:50 PM
megafly

Look at video! And enjoy The ride baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvcrE_Ud2gQ

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Dblex

Look what came today!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81162.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1650832  
Old 08-19-2011, 08:22 PM
jetflyr

Jetflyr...thanks; now I see the light. Your picture showed only 1 muiltiplex...probably the R/E connections. Did you put those on Ys or separate channels?

Jerrye
Separate channels... the beauty of a 14 channel receiver.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 PM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

I am working on the new Tornado and I have a couple of questions. How is the balance coming out? Do you have to add nose weight? I'll be using a Jetcat P60. Also can people post pics of their equipment placement?

Thanks,

Wayne
Old 08-20-2011, 04:37 AM
ausfester

There are plenty of pics on this thread.... just look through each page
I have a k80 in mine, no weight added, shes nose heavy also but thats not a real problem.
I had three flights today and went very well. This week i repaired some small damage to the undercarage and added extra epoxy to all three retracts.
Upon inspection at home i noticed that that one retract mount that i didnt completely remove, just added extra epoxy to visable mount points had broke. Was three very smooth landings too. So i removed the built up ply on and added heaps on every joint.

Most of the retract mounts had no visable glue.. just looks like zap or something. Very disapointed that this bird still needs so much work to get things solid. Hopefully now that all three retract mounts have been removed and properly glued in it should be good as gold.

Anyway see second flight vid her, enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSni3-7tbpo
Old 08-20-2011, 04:52 AM
ausfester

Nice video really good job.
i just saw one of your other vids of a startup. Word of advice you might want to make a start tube, if you get a wet start you will melt the covering instantly. You can also dropone or two of the startup paramaters which will help reduce flames during start. I think pump pwr ignt to 22 works well
Old 08-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Grumman

Hello Henry,
Just checking to see if you are still planning on releasing a P-20 size turbine jet package.
Thank You,
Maurice
Old 08-22-2011, 04:45 PM
jetflyr

ORIGINAL: warbird51

I am working on the new Tornado and I have a couple of questions. How is the balance coming out? Do you have to add nose weight? I'll be using a Jetcat P60. Also can people post pics of their equipment placement?
Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne-she comes out nose heavy to begin with....get everything as far back as you can (hold in place with doubled pieces of tape until you check the balance). I have the two LiFe packs behind the spar all teh way in the rear.

ENJOY

Greg
Old 08-22-2011, 07:21 PM
warbird51

ORIGINAL: ausfester

There are plenty of pics on this thread.... just look through each page
I did go through each page and I only found equipment set-up's for 2 different Tornado's. I wanted to see how others had set thieir's up if possible.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 PM
warbird51

ORIGINAL: jetflyr

ORIGINAL: warbird51

Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne-she comes out nose heavy to begin with....get everything as far back as you can (hold in place with doubled pieces of tape until you check the balance). I have the two LiFe packs behind the spar all teh way in the rear.

ENJOY

Greg

Thanks Greg,

That's just the kind of info. I am looking for!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Dblex

Just a public Thank You to Modellbau and Henry himself! I havent met another company that awnsers calls/questions/concerns like this guy. Henry, you are a great example of what this hobby is all about.

Thank you from Texas for taking all my questions and concerns!

I think you just earned a customer for life.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:01 AM
PVS41960

Doe's anyone have any completed Pic's of the version 3 Cockpit ???

Old 08-29-2011, 03:04 AM
PVS41960

Doe's anyone have any completed Pic's of the version 3 Cockpit ???

Old 08-29-2011, 04:13 AM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

[img]webkit-fake-url://773ECDF2-676B-40CA-ADB8-95E59CE98348/imagejpeg[/img]
Old 08-29-2011, 05:23 AM
DrYankum
My Feedback: (11)

The fill valve for the air system that I got as part of the package has no check valve in it. How do you keep air in the system after unscrewing the filling nipple? Also what brake valve are people using. A mechanical on/off valve with greased O rings is what I've been reading on other threads. Proportional electronic brakes seem pretty pricey for an entry level jet.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 AM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

The fill valve for the air system that I got as part of the package has no check valve in it. How do you keep air in the system after unscrewing the filling nipple? Also what brake valve are people using. A mechanical on/off valve with greased O rings is what I've been reading on other threads. Proportional electronic brakes seem pretty pricey for an entry level jet.
Dr,

Don't waste your money on the Jetronics proportional valve. I have one on my Tornado and it works, but the proportional part does not! It uses (read that as wastes) too much of the air in the small tank while trying to get some proportional braking. I just maidened my Tornado this past weekend at JOW and I've noticed that if you just let the plane slow down some after touch down and then just give it full brake then she stops gently and effectively. I use my right slider on my 9503 and I don't have the brakes lock up at full application. My .02...

On another note, the jet flies beautiful. Got some dual with a great gentleman from Canada (DW) this past weekend, and then got my waiver. It was a BLAST!... All works as advertised on the throws. I did add a little more elevator, as I'm a bit nose heavy, but it's fine like that. Also, the ailerons were way too sensitive for my liking, so I dialed in 45% expo and she grooves real nice like that. The only weak point in my opinion is the gear. The gear works well, but the stamped metal sides that hold the axles on the mains are very weak. Mine were tweaked real bad after a normal (not hard) landing to the point that the sides of the tires were rubbing up against them and were acting like locked up brakes. I quick fixed it by holding on the main part of the strut while bending the wheel back straight.

Good luck

Z
Old 08-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

Jaime I'm glad everything went well. As for the gear that is a problem that we discovered after wards and has been fixed. Anybody who bought older gear we warranty it 100% all you have to do is call bill at spring air and send him the older gear and he will make the fix or replace the gear so it never fails.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:32 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Jetronics proportional valves in four of my jets and with the disc type brakes they work perfectly, minimal air loss if set up correctly, the problem is mixing old (read O ring brakes) and new tech, they don't mix very well.

Mike
Old 08-29-2011, 01:39 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

I have the Jetronics proportional valves in four of my jets and with the disc type brakes they work perfectly, minimal air loss if set up correctly, the problem is mixing old (read O ring brakes) and new tech, they don't mix very well.

Mike

agreed, never been able to get good proportional breaking with an O-ring brake system (you're lucky if you can get both to just be equal without pulling to one side). with the O-ring you're better off with an on/off trigger valve (it's cheap) and just lube the brakes so they won't lock.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:49 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

KC

Nice to hear from you, did you sell your tornado or build it in the end?

Mike
Old 08-29-2011, 02:24 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

KC

Nice to hear from you, did you sell your tornado or build it in the end?

Mike

finely decided to build it about two weeks ago and it's 90% done.........wishing i'd of sold it tho.

waiting on the screws for the servo horns, they were none in the servo kit, Henry sent me replacements a few weeks ago, but they were just in an envelope and were ripped out of it when they went though the belts of the postal service and i've yet to receive the replacements.

i've had several issues that i haven't seen mentioned here but overall i guess it's a decent kit.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79368.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1654880  
Old 08-29-2011, 02:27 PM
rpat

Hi guys....I haven't posted any thing latley so I have a thought on the servos that I got off of Henry. I pluged in the rudder servos into the rudder slot on the receiver and turned the radio on and almost instantaly the one servo smoked and the other servo froze up. I have never seen a servo smoke and I have been flying for over 30 years. I talked to Henry about this but they are not using these servos any more, so I ordered a couple of hi tec 225's and now I have to modify the servo opening tol use these servos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.