Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:14 PM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

Hit on the nail with the expert comment. Do this do that glue it here don't use that try this my way it's better this way drill here no drill no. Use this servo no try this engine what if page 4 said that why page 4 don't say this. You get it
Old 11-01-2010, 10:16 PM
doubledcom
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Henry,

I read the part where you said that the booms and rear stab are glued together and are taken off as one piece by removing the 4 boom screws from the wings. My question is, are the wings then of the plug in type and if so how are they attached to the fuse, or are the wings glued onto the fuse. I am asking this for the ease of transport and assembly at the field.

Thanks,

Dennis DeGregorio
www.palosrc.com
[email protected]

Old 11-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Pepperpete

ORIGINAL: ledd4u

Hit on the nail with the expert comment. Do this do that glue it here don't use that try this my way it's better this way drill here no drill no. Use this servo no try this engine what if page 4 said that why page 4 don't say this. You get it
Hey look guys! More people just trying to get their post count up by posting absolutely nothing useful to the discussion of this new jet. Talking about what may work and what may be improved is the lifeblood of these boards. People so far are asking good honest questions. And as for re-engineering the whole aircraft? Give me a break. But hey lets get even more melodramatic!

Just move along guys or ignore the posts you don't like. Simple as that.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:34 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: doubledcom

Hi Henry,

I read the part where you said that the booms and rear stab are glued together and are taken off as one piece by removing the 4 boom screws from the wings. My question is, are the wings then of the plug in type and if so how are they attached to the fuse, or are the wings glued onto the fuse. I am asking this for the ease of transport and assembly at the field.

Thanks,

Dennis DeGregorio
www.palosrc.com
[email protected]

The wings are the plug in type but I would guess they would be next to impossible to remove at the field once all your on board gear is installed I know its that way
on the Falcon 120.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:38 AM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

The booms are one piece like I have mentioned they do come off very easy with 4 screws, the wings are plug in and are held together by two screws on each wing that are also very easy to remove. So the plane come apart fairly quickly. It is also small enough to keep built. I have a full size SUV and it fits in there with out taking apart anything.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:33 AM
laserbeam
My Feedback: (74)

Those were great pictures , that is one awesome jet i can't wait to have !!! thank you Henry !!!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:57 AM
rpat

Henry,
When will you have the video up. I want to see the tornado in action.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Modellbau USA

We are building the airplane you saw pictures of as well as writing the manuel at the same time so I expect to have a video sometime next week. Thank you for your patience.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:21 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey Henry

maybe I missed in a previous post but do you plan to develop some scale stuff. Lord knows we have enough F15s, F16s, P51s etc. but thought I'd ask

keep up the good work amigo [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Modellbau USA

***** Shipping Info for the TORNADO*******

The dimensions for the box are as follows 46x19x9 weight 10lb.. For domestic shipping we are working with FeEx to get the cheapest rate posssible. For our international customers We will be shipping via USPS or by your freight forwarder of choice. If your shipping quote you receive from these places is to expensive another option will be to wait for a authorized dealer near you to stock these. All dealers should have there stock of kits my March. The dealer list is as follows

U.S. and Canada
1. Modellbau USA
2. Troy Built Models

United Kingdom
1. ColChester A1 Models

Rest of Europe
1. Modellbau Pollack

Australia and New Zealand
1. Southern Cross RC

Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Modellbau USA

For the people that were asking us about the reinforcement for the tail this is just one of the things that has been done to give added strength in this area. Along with fiber-glassing prior to painting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45843.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1527141  
Old 11-02-2010, 09:54 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: Modellbau USA

For the people that were asking us about the reinforcement for the tail this is just one of the things that has been done to give added strength in this area. Along with fiber-glassing prior to painting.

oooooooo, what are the odds that the F14 in the background is a future model from modellbau?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Modellbau USA

well at this time we will not discuss that
Old 11-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Pepperpete

ORIGINAL: Modellbau USA

That does look MUCH stronger than what's on my Falcon. I can't wait to replace this bird with something cleaner like the Tornado.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:46 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please do not take this as critissm, just an observation from an old retired structural engineer.

If the inside of the Tornado is the same as the Falcon 120 at the rear engine mount then structually its not the best solution for less than prefect landings or less than perfect fields, if its the same its still a cantilever that is trying to take its strength from the skin of the fus without transfering the canterlever moment into a structural member, those that had problems with the Falcon had the skin of the fus cracking at the joint between the mount and the fus where the right angle is formed by the mount, by introducing the wedge as shown the forces will not be spread by the fus flexing, but will induce a crack at the joint line, may I suggest a better solution would be to take a structural tube or rod through the engine mount into the inside of the fus and glue it to the internal root rib on both sides.

Mike
Old 11-02-2010, 04:00 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Please do not take this as critissm, just an observation from an old retired structural engineer.

If the inside of the Tornado is the same as the Falcon 120 at the rear engine mount then structually its not the best solution for less than prefect landings or less than perfect fields, if its the same its still a cantilever that is trying to take its strength from the skin of the fus without transfering the canterlever moment into a structural member, those that had problems with the Falcon had the skin of the fus cracking at the joint between the mount and the fus where the right angle is formed by the mount, by introducing the wedge as shown the forces will not be spread by the fus flexing, but will induce a crack at the joint line, may I suggest a better solution would be to take a structural tube or rod through the engine mount into the inside of the fus and glue it to the internal root rib on both sides.

Mike
My thoughts exactly, from another engineer. One big mistake in the Falcon 120 design is that the flat piece of wood inside the bottom of the mount area stops at that right angle at the rear of the fuse. Any stresses on the mount are concentrated at that corner, which is why they typically crack there, and adding a wedge to the outside does nothing to improve the situation. A simple fix would be to extend the wood a couple inches into the fuse and add a rear former to tie it into the rear fuse fiberglass structure.

Those of us that regularly fly a Falcon 120 and have built a few are very familiar with its shortcomings. The Falcon 120 thread is full of various approaches to correct those issues and make the airframe safe for turbine application. Most of the comments and questions here are from potential customers who want to be assured that those issues have been addressed with the Tornado. I didn't interpret any comments as "Why don't you do it my way?". From his responses it appears that Henry and crew have done an excellent job of addressing the know shortfalls of the Falcon 120.

Regards,
Joe
Old 11-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Or better yet, get rid of the abrupt corner. It is not needed for a turbine configuration. Put a nice radius there AND internal longitudinal beams.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Modellbau USA

I totally appreciate all the feed back I am getting from all. We have done the very best to keep the cost of this airplane down with jeopardizing structural integrity. If you use the suggested engine there will not be sufficient weight to cause a problem in breaking the rear mount. We have reinforced it the necessary amount not to have that happen. I really appreciate all the comments that everybody has written out so far and I hope I addressed all questions. We are doing are best to give you an inexpensive jet at a quality that is turbine ready, which the Falcon was not. If you look at all the things we are giving you with the kit you will see that you have everything you need to and they are high quality.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:47 PM
chris1971

the first post is confusing because you list the retracts as coming with the airplane and then you say the retracts are about $200. Can you clear it up for me? Either way it is a great deal, but I have some fellow fliers that will be looking for something like this soon and want to be clear when I tell them the details of this airplane.

thanks,

Chris
Old 11-02-2010, 06:52 PM
picard1
My Feedback: (2)

I believe the retracts come with the plane, but the struts, wheels and brake package is an additional $200.00
Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Modellbau USA

Yes the Spring Air retracts come with the airplane but the Wheels brakes and struts are additional and they will be exclusivly sold by Spring Air Products
Old 11-02-2010, 07:15 PM
chris1971

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I'm used to the gear set having the retracts and wheels/tires/brakes.

Chris
Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Nothing to stop you just fitting wire legs or sourcing/making your own trailing links as well, this way leaves the door open.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Modellbau USA

That is true but the gear you are used to seeing with everything cost more than the whole jet with retracts
Old 11-02-2010, 07:49 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Great set here
420 USD at today exchange rate

http://shop.jet-1a.com/product_info....11d1f29417a191

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.