Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

Funny that nosewheel cut out is the exact same shape/size as the one on my navycat and why I am going to fit some doors.
You will find it is very difficult to get the chinese factorys to change the way they do something, once they have the production setup, all they want to hear is how many you want.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:56 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry, I didnt realize that had come to truth. I've talked to henry directly and believed what I was told (or thought I was told). SO it is based on the Falcon 120. Now I wonder if my f-86D was based on the nitroplanes f-86d prop jet.

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: essyou35

This implies the falcon adn tornado are the same thing, one just modified. I am being told that it is not the falcon 120 at all. So to answer your question assuming this is true, then the difference is that it is not even the same jet and you cannot compare them. Its like asking why the BVM Mig canopy fits the BVM mig, but the byron MIG canopy doesnt fit the Byron mig. NOthing to do with eachother.
You are not getting it, we have been down this road a thousand times, the tornado V1 & V2 arose from the ashes of a Falcon 120 and was meant to be the ''improved'' version yet it still contained all the flaws and now owners are saying the canopy dos'nt fit.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:02 PM
essyou35

As you know, since you designed and molded your own jet, just put glass on the inside, fill with gelcoat on the outside, and recut. Problem solved!

ORIGINAL: TUMBLER

i am sure that it is not like that when it comes out of the mold. I designed and molded my own jet, so I am quite confident it is not. It is trimmed after. Very easy to cut it out like the Spark or the Flash then we can open it up with a dremel if we need to.

ORIGINAL: Woketman

I agree. This is such a basic, easily fixed aspect. The real question is why not simply fix the simple issue instead of building more planes like that?
to.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 PM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

sorry but that is not the issue. Of course I can fix it, but why should I have to. I would have to fill it in with glass, add filler, sand, find a paint match, airbrush and feather in Its a lot of extra work

As you know, since you designed and molded your own jet, just put glass on the inside, fill with gelcoat on the outside, and recut. Problem solved!

i am sure that it is not like that when it comes out of the mold. I designed and molded my own jet, so I am quite confident it is not. It is trimmed after. Very easy to cut it out like the Spark or the Flash then we can open it up with a dremel if we need to.

I agree. This is such a basic, easily fixed aspect. The real question is why not simply fix the simple issue instead of building more planes like that?
to.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.team-aeroscale.com/carfSpark.html

It's weird but those pics are of the comp arf spark!!!???

Did u design those?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 PM
essyou35

I understand the issue, but its a $400 airframe, its not going to be perfect. Also, it doesnt have to be perfect!

I'd be interested in hearing what you use for filler on your glass work.

sorry but that is not the issue. Of course I can fix it, but why should I have to. I would have to fill it in with glass, add filler, sand, find a paint match, airbrush and feather in Its a lot of extra work

to.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can completely understand your position, essyou. But I cannot help but feel mystified at why they don't simply do it right if it is so darn easy!!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:54 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, I didnt realize that had come to truth. I've talked to henry directly and believed what I was told (or thought I was told). SO it is based on the Falcon 120. Now I wonder if my f-86D was based on the nitroplanes f-86d prop jet.
This question about the falcon and the tornado and the f86d has come up many times and discussed but it keeps coming up, I know for a fact that a V1 Tornado and
Falcon 120 was set side by side and compaired and I think the only difference was the tornado had fully sheeted wings. Could it be that 2+2 still =4 ? If the models
in question are not the the same then whoever desiged both set of models must have used the same computer program or something.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:58 PM
TUMBLER

I understand the issue, but its a $400 airframe, its not going to be perfect. Also, it doesnt have to be perfect!

I'd be interested in hearing what you use for filler on your glass work.

Actually it's $500 plus shipping so its almost $600. That's a decent amount of money to me. You sound like me before I got mine and built it. I was willing to accept some flaws for the price, but some things are just ridiculous. The nosewheel opening is inexcusable. They just blindly copied the Falcon without thinking it through and realizing the hole does not need to be that big. I use evercoat metal glaze or icing glazing putty for filler. I won;t be doing it on this though. Don't feel like spending the time on it. I am using it as a beater.

to.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:09 PM
TUMBLER

I know they are. I said in the posts above that those pics are of the Spark and the Flash. I designed a jet called the Blaze. Its like a mini Bandit.

ORIGINAL: Dblex

http://www.team-aeroscale.com/carfSpark.html

It's weird but those pics are of the comp arf spark!!!???

Did u design those?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73047.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1805617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11037.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1805618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40787.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	1805619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98300.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1805620   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98748.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1805621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pf60683.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1805622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96642.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1805623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm25174.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1805624  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf93904.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1805625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47602.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1805626  
Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 PM
essyou35

Tubmbler, can list for me in a concise list the issues you have this jet? I am thining of getting and want to weigh it against something else.

Also, $600 is still cheaper than anything out there for a turbine airframe that can handle a 80 sized turbine. I've been all over the map looking for my next jet and keep coming back to this. Anything else runs $2K easy on the low end.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:26 PM
TUMBLER

You are right. There is nothing close to the price. This is the list I gave Henry that I did not like an thought could be improved. I was trying to help, not cirticize.

tank did not come with stopper assembly
the ail and flap servo covers are white and don't match the red bottom
canopy did not fit right and was not the same color as advertised
control horns are very short. I guess people may use them but with the large bevel at the leading edge of the surface, i don't know ow you can have enough material recessd into the surface and still have them forward enough to be inline with the hinge line. I bought my own from Dreamworks which was another $22.
wing bolts dont line up
forward spar does not line up.
hatches for the elevator and rudder are way too small. I made it work but you really have to be creative with the dremel.
liners for the wheel wells dont fit well at all
formers needed reinforcement(betwen glueing in the formers and re-doing the forward spar I used more than a tube of Hysol).
the wings are now fully sheeted which is nice, but there are ridges and bumps everywhere especially around the leading edge area.
the quality of the glass and paint work on the booms is very poor. huge pinholes and voids as well as drips and runs in the paint.
the fit of the boms to the top of the wing could be better
the opening for the nosehweel. why does it need to be so big? I know the Tornado is modeled after the Falcon, but there was not need for it to be like that on the Falcon either. I would cut smaller openings in the fuse and wings and let people open them up if they need to.

Tubmbler, can list for me in a concise list the issues you have this jet? I am thining of getting and want to weigh it against something else.

Also, $600 is still cheaper than anything out there for a turbine airframe that can handle a 80 sized turbine. I've been all over the map looking for my next jet and keep coming back to this. Anything else runs $2K easy on the low end.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 PM
TimWatson
Banned

ORIGINAL: ModellbauUK

Hook, Line, Sinker..............Strike!!!!

I caught my self a Troll

Are we allowed to throw these back?
About the only thing you could catch is a cold, or perhaps Legionella. As I said before a little respect for your customers and learning to listen would go a long way. But still having been doing jets for all of about 14 months I am sure you know it all
Old 09-27-2012, 10:43 PM
ModellbauUK

You have gone way too far now Dennis

Do you not know Legionnaires' disease kills people

I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy let alone a fellow poster on an RCU thread

You really are a horrible man.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:34 PM
TimWatson
Banned

You have gone way too far now Dennis

Do you not know Legionnaires' disease kills people

I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy let alone a fellow poster on an RCU thread

You really are a horrible man.
I do indeed know and understand that very well as I know do you. And I was not wishing it on anyone. The problem is you come on here and peddle your items for sale and perpetuate untruths while having pops at the people who buy your items. You make smart ***ed comments and when people retaliate you cant handle it.

As far as things that can kill people are concerned Legionnaires disease can indeed. So can poorly made overpowered jets

I think I know who is the horrible man as you so eloquently put it
Old 09-27-2012, 11:50 PM
ModellbauUK

Let others and the Moderators decide if your comment was acacceptable

To me it wasn't no matter how ever you back track and try to justify what you said

Old 09-28-2012, 02:16 AM
BaldEagel

You guys really know how to kill interest in a thread don't you, for the sake of those that are interested in building and flying a Tornado give it a rest, unless you have something constructive to say.

Mike
Old 09-28-2012, 03:25 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do know that I watched a couple of guys fly Tornado's at Super Jets South (going on now), and both guys LOVE the jet. And I must say they appear to fly very well, and makes me want to retire my Baby Boomer. I was amazed at how well a P-60 was pushing one of these jets around!

So what if it's a Falcon 120? All the work needed to bring a Falcon 120 up to turbine standards appears to be done, and that's a big hasssle and time saver. And from what I gathered, the V3 model has been quite an improvement from the first ones.

To me, the bang for the buck appears to be outstanding with this jet. My ONLY hesitation is that I do not have a trailer, and this jet does seem to be a little difficult and time-consuming to break down/reassemble.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:30 AM
BaldEagel

The easiest way to transport one is to just take the booms and tail off together, Xflyer came up with a cleaver idea to use the main spar as a brace with correctly drilled holes and bolt the booms to that leaving the tail on the booms, the front spar fits inside the main spar, you then have just the fus and attached wings as the biggest piece to get in the car.

Mike
Old 09-28-2012, 03:39 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don’t think any one cares that it is a Falcon that was modified. It is all the lies that we were all told and the BS that still is being fed to us by Modellbau USA. Had everyone been told that it was coming from the same factory as the falcon with a few mods everyone would of accepted it. Sure there would have been the why don’t you do this or that. But the majority would of accepted it.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:01 AM
TUMBLER

I really don't understand how these things become personal attacks. I made a comment about the nosehweel opening being too big(which it clearly is and no one can deny that) and then ModellbauUK comes back sarcastically at me as if my opinion as a paying customer means nothing. That was shocking to me. Now others are going back and forth at each other....what gives?? I check out a million other threads where guys says they don't like this or that and the vendor says......thanks for bringing that to our attention,we will correct that on the next production run. That's it, end of story. Yes people can be waaaaay too picky, but clearly there are things we are not being picky about. The nosewheel opening, the spar not lining up, ect. These are basic things that should be changed. Bringing this stuff up is constructive. It obviously keeps coming up, so not sure what it doesn't get corrected by version 3 of the plane. I knew what I was buying so I can't complain, I am merely pointing out and suggesting what can and should be fixed. ModellbauUK stepped up and said the formers would be fixed or I think he was including Hysol, the tank was coming with fittings, etc. He is clearly on the right track which is why I was so caught off guard by his attitdude yesterday.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 AM
essyou35

Exactly my thoughts too. I hear it is faster than the f-86D would like to put that to the test. But then again that may not be information I can trust.

Transport is the main issue with this one. Further, taking it apart all the time will wear it down a lot faster, as I can attest the with sabre, and only the wings remove on that.

If it is on par with the way less popular f-86D, it is an excellent value, great grass flyer, and definately and everyday flyer.

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

I do know that I watched a couple of guys fly Tornado's at Super Jets South (going on now), and both guys LOVE the jet. And I must say they appear to fly very well, and makes me want to retire my Baby Boomer. I was amazed at how well a P-60 was pushing one of these jets around!

So what if it's a Falcon 120? All the work needed to bring a Falcon 120 up to turbine standards appears to be done, and that's a big hasssle and time saver. And from what I gathered, the V3 model has been quite an improvement from the first ones.

To me, the bang for the buck appears to be outstanding with this jet. My ONLY hesitation is that I do not have a trailer, and this jet does seem to be a little difficult and time-consuming to break down/reassemble.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 AM
TimWatson
Banned

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

You guys really know how to kill interest in a thread don't you, for the sake of those that are interested in building and flying a Tornado give it a rest, unless you have something constructive to say.

Mike

Mike

Remind me of the date you were crowned king. Free country last time I looked
Old 09-28-2012, 07:31 AM
TimWatson
Banned

ORIGINAL: aquaskiman

I don’t think any one cares that it is a Falcon that was modified. It is all the lies that we were all told and the BS that still is being fed to us by Modellbau USA. Had everyone been told that it was coming from the same factory as the falcon with a few mods everyone would of accepted it. Sure there would have been the why don’t you do this or that. But the majority would of accepted it.
Very well said indeed
Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 AM
TimWatson
Banned

Let others and the Moderators decide if your comment was acacceptable

To me it wasn't no matter how ever you back track and try to justify what you said

For goodness sake get a grip and dont be such a drama queen.

Also look what I wrote. I said 'you could catch a cold or legionella'. Legionella as I know you know is the bacteria which through your work you catch and hopefully kill. You mentioned Legionaires Disease not me. Legionella and Legionaires disease Two different things. Like the Falcon 120 and the BVM Bobcat

There you were all full of jokes and sarcasm then with one little comment that you misunderstood. Rattle thrown out of the pram

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.