Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Old 10-08-2014, 04:42 AM
Heliman4213
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for responding. I say Ultra Swift or Swift in my opinion a little more manly ?? I like the plane. It looks like the same gear as on the Tornados or very close. Yes I need a spare canopy ASAP and at one point will order more gear. Keep us all up to date as we can afford planes like this but I myself cant buy $15,000.00 to $ 30,000.00 planes like some of my friends. We need affordable planes like this. I will check the site out tonight and check out the canopies and gear. THANKS !!!!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 12:13 PM
ModellbauUK

Originally Posted by Heliman4213
Thanks for responding. I say Ultra Swift or Swift in my opinion a little more manly ?? I like the plane. It looks like the same gear as on the Tornados or very close. Yes I need a spare canopy ASAP and at one point will order more gear. Keep us all up to date as we can afford planes like this but I myself cant buy $15,000.00 to $ 30,000.00 planes like some of my friends. We need affordable planes like this. I will check the site out tonight and check out the canopies and gear. THANKS !!!!!!
No problem. If you order anything for delivery to US just order with zero carriage and I'll work out the carriage at cost and let you know. Paypal payment will be fine
Old 10-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Vendata

Hey Ian,
Whats the cost of one of these new Sparrow / Swift jets & will they be able to be purchased through a USA agent.
Thanks.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:38 PM
ModellbauUK

Originally Posted by Vendata
Hey Ian,
Whats the cost of one of these new Sparrow / Swift jets & will they be able to be purchased through a USA agent.
Thanks.
yes Scott Marr will be distributing them in the US
Old 10-09-2014, 01:40 AM
Vendata

Ian when will the jet be ready to purchase & what is the cost.
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:53 AM
rpat

Looks good.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:58 AM
ModellbauUK

Originally Posted by Vendata
Ian when will the jet be ready to purchase & what is the cost.
Thanks.
Mid November is the planned release after Qatar test flights. Price is in the region of £1400 subject to where it is shipped.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Vendata

Hi Ian,
Will there be a USA agent selling them.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:40 PM
ModellbauUK

Yes contact Scott Marr or one can be sent direct you from the factory. PM me and we can sort one out for you

Last edited by ModellbauUK; 10-12-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Ysj2482

Has anyone else out there been wronged by Henry? Im not trying to turn this into a hate thread but I don't tolerate being ripped off. His website no longer exists so he is gone out of the RC world (hopefully). I just called the number he had listed in the original posting of this thread and he answered (dumb move Henry). I'm not sure what options there are for any of us that have been wronged but if you have, please PM me and I will be happy to see if any options exist. I will say that Modellbau UK has nothing to do with my situation. They have been nothing but helpful since my original posting.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:27 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

While you had Henry on the phone what options did you discuss and what did he agree to?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Ysj2482

We didn't discuss anything. He answered, I told him who I was, and then he hung the phone up. Classy guy! Haha
Old 10-14-2014, 12:43 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So Dennis was right all along, I wonder if the mods will read this and be correctly embarrassed.

Mike
Old 10-14-2014, 02:13 AM
Xairflyer

Only one of them Mike was spending money advertising
Old 11-14-2014, 05:55 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Well, another Tornado in flight structural failure! :-( The plane was dialed in and flying beautiful w/ a Wren SS (sweet, sweet motor) and disintegrated in a high speed turn. The part i'm most bummed about was my lil' SS! Will have to send to Ron Ballard to inspect. Anyway, I've learned my lesson, never buy another cheap chinese arf sport jet. This was a version 3 and my second Tornado. Upon inspection, the carbon strips used inside looked to be glued with super glue by a Chinese kid? And some areas didn't even look glued? ***? Pics to follow... If I ever buy another sport jet, it'll be a BVM. They appear to be bullet proof...

Z
Old 11-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Heliman4213

Wow I was unaware any have come apart in the air? Sorry to hear that. I'm sure they are all built a little different. Now I'm afraid !!!!! I have the Rabbit 100 in mine, very overpowered and over 120 flights at super high speed no issue yet?? Please send pictures. It does fly nice when its all set up. Please keep us up to date and post some nice clear pictures.
Thanks
Old 11-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Heliman4213

And yes BVM are the best and I have seen the builds up close they are superior. I would love a King Cat
Old 11-14-2014, 08:51 PM
Vendata

Hey Jzuniga sorry to hear about your Tornado I myself have had three of them the first one did what yours did but I was at half throttle going in a straight line when the wings just disintegrated. The second one could have been radio problems but the jet was a right off once they it hit the ground they are all most history, the thrid one I got has been going really good no issues as yet touch wood!!! Thing is when you have a crash you almost have to throw away every thing. I had to send my King Tech 80 back away twice to get checked out & repaired both times had to get a new ECU & a couple of vavles & of course the receivers battery packs & servos all buggered. I think & thats a long shot if I brought another Tornado I would strip all the covering off of it & glass & paint it this way they would be more solid & wont blow apart. I suppose this is why Herny doesn't sell them any more to many complaints!!!!
Old 11-14-2014, 09:19 PM
jzuniga

Thanks for the input guys. I'll post pix tomorrow. My Tornado had less than 15 flights on it and was flying real nice. I don't think stripping and glassing this would have helped as the inside looked to be a mixture of white glue and ca, and sloppy in my opinion? I think it was just bad luck and I got one that slipped through the QC crack. What I'm most bummed about is my Wren SS. I had just been serviced by Ron Ballard at Wren a month ago, and now has some dings on the case and a dent in the exhaust cone. :-(
Z
Old 11-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Im not criticizing anyones flying here nor am i defending the tornado airframe for what it is. Ive had 4 tornados working on the 5th one off and on. Ive owned every version and powered them with an amt mercury, Jet central rabbit 90, merlin 90, and jet central bee II (best combo) the rabbit and merlin powered ones I reduced rpm to roughly 16 pounds of thrust. I have never had a single issue with any of the 4 I've had. I have seen about a dozen or so fly and I have seen one come apart inflight, it was powered by a k100 and was flying darn near full throttle most of the flight before it folded the wings in a high speed high G turn. Im surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Point being I was not there to witness your crash Z and by no means am I implying you were at fault in any way. However I have seen so many people not respect this airframe when they fly it. I own a BVM bobcat and a flash, I love flying the absolute crap out of them and push them very hard. The tornado is not designed for this type of flying! When I fly my tornados i fly them smoothly and limit the speed, Gs, and power. So many people do not realize the amount of stress they are exposing an airframe to during flight. You cannot buy the volkswagen beetle of jets and expect to fly it like the ferrari of jets (ie bvm or comp arf) Appreciate the tornado/falcon 120/navy cat airframe for what it is, not for what its not.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:30 PM
jzuniga

Originally Posted by Dieselman1220
Im not criticizing anyones flying here nor am i defending the tornado airframe for what it is. Ive had 4 tornados working on the 5th one off and on. Ive owned every version and powered them with an amt mercury, Jet central rabbit 90, merlin 90, and jet central bee II (best combo) the rabbit and merlin powered ones I reduced rpm to roughly 16 pounds of thrust. I have never had a single issue with any of the 4 I've had. I have seen about a dozen or so fly and I have seen one come apart inflight, it was powered by a k100 and was flying darn near full throttle most of the flight before it folded the wings in a high speed high G turn. Im surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Point being I was not there to witness your crash Z and by no means am I implying you were at fault in any way. However I have seen so many people not respect this airframe when they fly it. I own a BVM bobcat and a flash, I love flying the absolute crap out of them and push them very hard. The tornado is not designed for this type of flying! When I fly my tornados i fly them smoothly and limit the speed, Gs, and power. So many people do not realize the amount of stress they are exposing an airframe to during flight. You cannot buy the volkswagen beetle of jets and expect to fly it like the ferrari of jets (ie bvm or comp arf) Appreciate the tornado/falcon 120/navy cat airframe for what it is, not for what its not.
I think you hit the nail on the head Diesel…
It is just not designed for a motor like the Wren SS, (nor is it designed for high G stresses)That motor puts out 18lbs of thrust and it was too much for this airframe. My first Tornado was powered by a Jetcat P60 and was flown mildly. Due to others reporting how nice the latest generation was on motors in the 100 class, I fell for the hype and thought this one would be fine. It obviously is not. I was in a high speed high g turn, but what was shocking was the crappy glue joints and lack of glue on carbon in the wing (in some spots). I have a good friend that has almost 11yrs on his BVM bobcat and he flies the %$^& out of that plane and it has never failed him. You get what you pay for. I was just feeling too comfortable with the plane and thought it could take more. I was shocked at how soon it happened though. It only had less than 15 flights. Cheers

Z

Last edited by jzuniga; 11-14-2014 at 09:36 PM. Reason: grammar, added text.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:33 PM
jzuniga

BTW, wasn't there a video of one flying and falling apart in flight on here at one time?
Can't seem to find it anywhere?
Thanks

Z
Old 11-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't doubt the faulty assembly, sorry that this happened man it sucks to lose one like that. Hopefully your SS will be ok and back in your hands soon.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:46 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

As a first turbine airframe, I would still buy the Tornado/Navy Cat over a BVM Bobcat. It has more forgiving flying characteristics and (at least for me with two kids in college) the cost difference is too much. I've had no problems with mine using a K-80, but I don't yank it around the sky, either. I pretty much have unlimited vertical performance as it is; if I was going to use a 100N turbine, I would dial it down.

Greg
Old 11-15-2014, 03:50 AM
Xairflyer

You cant expect any of these chineese artf's to be just put together and flown, what you buy is a kit that has been assembled for you, you then have to go through it all, add bits of wood where needed and re-glue areas. It is easy to just snap the formers out of these things in one piece due to the flour and water the chineese use for glue.

I hysol everything that is structural, especially formers and attachment points inside the booms, then run Titebond pva in every opening I can get at inside wings, booms, tailplane etc. It is easy to let the glue run down the seems into the wing, takes a bit of time turning it so it all flows where you want but adds a lot of strength to badly glued areas.

If you do nothing then it will come apart, it will pull out the undercarriage blocks out of the wing.
These things are cheap treat them as that and make them better, if you dont know how then you should'nt be buying one in the first place.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.