Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Blocked fuel injector nozzles

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Blocked fuel injector nozzles

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:39 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blocked fuel injector nozzles

I sent my turbine in for service (No manufacturer will be mentioned, don't want to start a flame). It was running perfectly, other than the bearings were noisy. I am told that four of the fuel injector nozzles were completely blocked. My questions are:- How can a turbine run perfectly with full power if four injector nozzles are completely blocked & how would they get blocked? My fuel is fltered before fuelling. I have a BVM UAT, & an inline filter before the pump & one after the pump.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:57 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Blocked fuel injector nozzles

Mine was not accelerating properly to full RPM and would flame out but it would run to full RPM eventually if I opened the throttle slowly enough. The view on the manufacturer's forum was that it was blocked needles.

That was with a very small turbine, perhaps it's not so critical on the larger engines & you have not noticed the problem.

Mine was running like crap so it was definately noticable. It was not blocked needles but it turned out to be a couple of case screws had fallen out & it's running fine now. - John.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:51 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your engine has 6 sticks then it would not have run on two but if it's a 12 stick chamber then it might habe run on the eight. Do you know how many sticks/injectors your engine has?

jason
Old 10-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Jim Cattanach

It's only a 54 size turbine, so I doubt it has twelve. I think I got fed a bit of Hans Christian Anderson.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:34 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your engine probably has 12 injectors like the WREN 54, RAM 500 and most copies. I think normal operation can clog them, they are very small opening on the smaller engines.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Jim Cattanach

It has eight injectors. I also thought that most of the 54 sized turbines had eight.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

my small block has 12 injectors (one goes in each hole in the picture below..) ..I'm guessing that if the blocked ones were evenly spaced, the difference in performance may not be readily noticeable... I have a 120 big block that only has 8, and obviously if half of them were not working, it would be very noticeable....

You are lucky that the problem was caught on the ground...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38495.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1525387  
Old 10-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

A customer connected his gas to fuel and fuel to gas on the front of a P120, so I think that left three nozzles running the fuel? Power was only noticed to be slightly down before it seized on the second flight! So it will run on a lot less...even JC were surprised!!

Dave
Old 10-30-2010, 04:17 PM
jetrichie

The wren types all have 12 and will run if three or four are blocked, the pump will work harder trying to achieve max rpm, problem is the part of the chamber with the working jets will get a lot hotter (hot spot) and the none working areas will be cold and after time it will cause the ngv to crack.

I'd suspect your turbine was a wren as they are well known for this problem