Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

KJ66 JET TURBINE on F16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

KJ66 JET TURBINE on F16

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:34 PM
POWER JET
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KJ66 JET TURBINE on F16

Hi guys,
I have one KJ66 turbine on a F16 and i'm facing a problem during start up...
I'm using the Xicoy autostart 06 ECU for KJ type engines systems.
When i'm doing manual test to see if ,the fuel pump ,the electrovalves,the starter motor or the plug working everything looks to work fine...but the turbine doesn't start up.
The propane goes to the turbine ignited but the rpm's doesn't increasing...
What do you thing guys?
What i do wrong?

Thanks in advance for any replies....
Old 11-02-2010, 02:59 PM
jetmodeller

Default RE: KJ66 JET TURBINE on F16

Hi check tempeture prope,check that tempeture is getting to at least 120 degrees on gas,pump will not start if temp to low regards Keith
Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 AM
POWER JET

yes i know that, the temperature is at least 240 degrees on gas,i can hear the pump running but nothing more... i assume that the starter motor doesn't spin the turbine to reach the appropriate rpm's to start the turbine?
Old 11-03-2010, 02:10 AM
Ravivos

make sure your gas and fuel lines are connected properly, replacing them will cause something that sounds like you described (dont ask me how i know )
furthermore, make sure the bandix disengage from the compressor's nut, fail to do so will cause excess fuel to be fed to the turbine without any RPM increment.

while watching your temp probe, can you please describe what is the temperature curve? does it reach high temperatures ? what does the ECU says when terminating the startup procedure ?

Ravivos.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:10 AM
POWER JET

ORIGINAL: Ravivos

make sure your gas and fuel lines are connected properly, replacing them will cause something that sounds like you described (dont ask me how i know )
furthermore, make sure the bandix disengage from the compressor's nut, fail to do so will cause excess fuel to be fed to the turbine without any RPM increment.

while watching your temp probe, can you please describe what is the temperature curve? does it reach high temperatures ? what does the ECU says when terminating the startup procedure ?

Ravivos.
I did those checks more than three times and everything is in the right position.
The temp is not reaching high temps.Is between 250 and 300 degrees.
The startup procedure is terminated by myself because i don't see any result.The ECU is in normalscreen before the start up and the only difference is that is says..< trim low..>

Old 11-03-2010, 06:32 PM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

The missreading of the ECU connector decals sometimes will "make you" put the connector wrong side to ground, the propane will ignite on start but the pump will not start ramping as the thermocouple or rpm is not registering anything.
I did this myself just the other day, plugged one of the ecu connector wires in backwards, got the same symptoms that you have now.....engine ran perfect after the correcting the connector. Acted just like a hung start.

Let us know what you find... thats a great ECU, wish I had three more, almost goof proof.
The "trim low" message does not sound right, you might have to reverse the channel and re-learn the ecu to the radio.

Second idea.... if all the functions check, fuel actually pumps to the engine ( eliminates a possible reversed check valve), theromcouple and rpm read... via manual checks, lighter/ and spin and the engine.Try going to auto 2 for a faster ramp, that ecu tends to have the engine "hang" there on the propane for quite a while before spooling on up. This is not good for the bearings as they are'nt getting any lube via the fuel. Going to auto 2 fixed that little quirk. It decreases the 'hang" time from pump start to ramping the engine to idle rpm.

If this is the first start on that ECU on that engine.....don't do it in the plane, put it on the bench. There is going to be some major tweeking to be done with your ecu pump settings to get things to spool up smoothly on start. The rest of the settings are cake.

Gaspar is great on supporting that ecu. His manual on that ECU was excellent.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 AM
POWER JET

i'm always have it in auto 2.What i'm noticed yesterday ,when i was trying to start her again is, that during the start up procedure there was all the time a flame on exhaust.Even when was stabilized in 40000rpm.Another issue is that when was stabilized the throttle didn't work.It went up to 52000 rpm and then the throttle stick was dead rom 1/4 of the travel of it....
I don't understand what's going wrong with her...
Old 11-04-2010, 12:07 PM
rcdriver22
My Feedback: (1)

Good advice given, here is my 10c, throttle is recalibrated once again and you can observe on display 100% at max throttle. Voltage is good and does not drop on any startup. Temp is good and rpm reaches above 32k+ Do not attemp a start. Prime the fuel line and wet the bearings. Disconnect fuel line and direct fuel to a beaker in a safe location. Attemp a normal start up and observe fuel flow at ramp up which should be a trickle of drips of fuel. No fuel in beaker problems down stream, pump filter, uat, ecu settings. Fuel in beaker and no ramp up MAY mean a blockage, crimped fuel pipe or blocked injectors etc.

Temp, rpm and fuel as good yto go, it should run even as a flame thrower. Also if this excellent ecu is new to this turbine, it needs to learn the relationship of voltage, pump accel and turbine outputs etc.

Paul

Old 11-05-2010, 02:38 AM
POWER JET

Yes this ecu is new to this turbine,but how can i teach the ecu the relationship of voltage, pump accel and turbine outputs etc. ?How can i do that?
Old 11-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Jgwright

Are you sure that you have connected the fuel line to the fuel input? It is quite common for people at some stage to connect the fuel and lube the wrong way round.

Are you sure that you have set up the throttle correctly in the ECU? If you are using a Futaba Tx the throttle channel will need reversing. You can check that the settings are correct if you go to the second screen disply and see the % throttle at 100% when fully up, about 15% when at idle and 0 when trim is lowered and the throttle is fully down. If you are not displaying this then your ecu has not been taught the throttle settings. This is all well explained in the manual.

John
Old 11-05-2010, 10:45 AM
POWER JET

Yes,i'm using Futaba but i know that i have set up the throttle correctly in the ECU because otherwise on the screen will appear a 'TX error'.After a few more effort i came out in a coclusion that probably is the fuel pump that 's not working as well as i want to ...i test her in the bench alone and it's making a very strange noise.I'll change the fuel pump and i will try again....