Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA Decision Looms on Model Aircraft Regulations

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA Decision Looms on Model Aircraft Regulations

Old 03-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Warbirdguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FAA Decision Looms on Model Aircraft Regulations

Got this response today. I wonder why the part about model aircraft was intentionally left out?

WBG

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office regarding the classification and treatment of model airplanes in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reauthorization bill. Your input is important to me, and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

I know that federal legislation and regulations often carry unintended consequences, and I understand your concern that hobbyists may be unfairly caught up in new regulation. As you have pointed out, the regulation in question was not included in the final version of the FAA Reauthorization bill that passed the Senate, a bill I was happy to support. Please know that I will carefully monitor the status of this provision as the FAA bill as a whole is considered in the House. The insight and information you have given here will certainly help my staff and me more effectively look into this issue.

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me as I serve you in the United States Senate.

Sincerely,

Bob Corker
United States Senator
Old 03-18-2011, 07:38 AM
STKNRUD

Either everyone including the AMA is crazy or your senator doesn't know what he is talking about. My understanding is that the Senate included in the legislation the probation on regulating RC and it went to the House. Unless the House took it out and sent it back to the Senate and they passed the bill without it, I don't have any idea what he is talking about. I suspect that some elf in the senator's office wrote the letter between naps and computer games.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:14 AM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: STKNRUD Either everyone including the AMA is crazy or your senator doesn't know what he is talking about.
My understanding is that the Senate included in the legislation the probation on regulating RC and it went to the House. Unless
the House took it out and sent it back to the Senate and they passed the bill without it, I don't have any idea what he is talking
about. I suspect that some elf in the senator's office wrote the letter between naps and computer games.
Gentlemen:

"I believe what we have here, is a failure to communicate."

It is IMHO a positive statement rather than a negative one...as it can be read with inference...either way since the
text is a vague reference and uses the words "left out". After I re-read the text multiple times I recalled
the wording which cleared the Senate decks positively for modeling was an actual "exclusion and removal" from the
original FAA proposal.

This response from what appears to be Sen. Corker's aide would be correct...a positive statement of support.
Chris is looking into it as I write this...

Quoted below:
"As you have pointed out, the regulation in question was not included in the final version of the FAA Reauthorization
bill that passed the Senate, a bill I was happy to support."

Old 03-18-2011, 10:01 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: FliteMetal

ORIGINAL: STKNRUD Either everyone including the AMA is crazy or your senator doesn't know what he is talking about.
My understanding is that the Senate included in the legislation the probation on regulating RC and it went to the House. Unless
the House took it out and sent it back to the Senate and they passed the bill without it, I don't have any idea what he is talking
about. I suspect that some elf in the senator's office wrote the letter between naps and computer games.
Gentlemen:

''I believe what we have here, is a failure to communicate.''

It is IMHO a positive statement rather than a negative one...as it can be read with inference...either way since the
text is a vague reference and uses the words ''left out''. After I re-read the text multiple times I recalled
the wording which cleared the Senate decks positively for modeling was an actual ''exclusion and removal'' from the
original FAA proposal.

This response from what appears to be Sen. Corker's aide would be correct...a positive statement of support.
Chris is looking into it as I write this...

Quoted below:
''As you have pointed out, the regulation in question was not included in the final version of the FAA Reauthorization
bill that passed the Senate, a bill I was happy to support.''

It was added. Here is the second confirmation of such:

Dear Mr. Andrews,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding model aviation provisions in S. 223, the "Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act." It is good to hear from you.

As you may know, the Senate recently considered S. 223, the "FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act," which reauthorizes the FAA. This bill encompasses a number of issues ranging from funding for the Airport Improvement Program (AIP) to Next Generation Air Traffic Control systems. This legislation is extremely important to the safe and effective functioning of our airplanes, airports, and air traffic control towers. Included in this measure was an amendment offered by Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) that prohibits the implementation of new rules and regulations regarding the use of model aircraft for recreational purposes. I was pleased to see this amendment passed and included in the final version of S. 223. As an avid outdoorsman, I understand the importance of recreational activities that simultaneously allow people to enjoy the outdoors and participate in an educational activity like model aviation. You will be pleased to know that S. 223 was passed in the Senate with my support by a vote of 87-8 and has been referred to the House of Representatives for further action. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should similar legislation come before me in the Senate.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this very important issue. Please be sure to visit our website at www.boozman.senate.gov. I look forward to your continued correspondence.

Sincerely,
John Boozman
U.S. Senator
Old 03-18-2011, 10:47 AM
FliteMetal

Yes Andy,

S. 223 was passed by the Senate, that is not what we are discussing.

What is being discussed above is the House Of Representatives vote is implied to have had an ammendment of the
wording of the portion concerning recreational r/c use and airspace definition aka pending "redefinition" by FAA. As
of a couple of hours ago...no one was aware of any call to vote in the House Of Representatives for this bill.

There are those with their ear to the ground as I write this...attempting to translate the afore mentioned email wording
from the Senator from the GREAT STATE Of TENNESSEE... or his aide as posted back three posts ago. As soon as it
can be confirmed whether or NOT a vote on this happened in the HOR...chamber it will be posted here and elsewhere.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:40 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

At least you guys received letters that actually addressed the model aviation aspect ot the bill. I received a quazi generic letter from my senator that didn't even mention it.

Marty
Old 03-18-2011, 03:54 PM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: afterburner

At least you guys received letters that actually addressed the model aviation aspect ot the bill. I received a quazi generic letter from my senator that didn't even mention it.

Marty
Why not write him back and complain? Post it here.

Andy
Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 PM
STKNRUD

Marty
+1 But I didn't expect anything else from Pelosi and Boxer.

George
Old 03-18-2011, 04:11 PM
afterburner

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Marty
Why not write him back and complain? Post it here.

Andy
Because he's a useless @#$!$ who used to be the governor of Virginia and with all the letters I've sent to him over the last two years, I've never received responses that actually specifically addressed anything in detail. His term's not up till 2014. Hopefully the other senate seat that's open in 2012 won't see another former governor in that seat.

Marty
Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 PM
STKNRUD

Marty,

I may be going out on a limb here but I sense you may not vote for him in 2014.

George
Old 03-20-2011, 05:42 AM
afterburner

ORIGINAL: STKNRUD

Marty,

George

Didn't vote for him when he was elected and I won't in 2014. I really shouldn't be complaining, I mean look who you are stuck with.[&o][&o]
Old 03-20-2011, 04:30 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Marty,

George

Didn't vote for him when he was elected and I won't in 2014. I really shouldn't be complaining, I mean look who you are stuck with.[&o][&o]
Marty, It must have been the same Whacked out reply that I got from the same Senator and for the record, I didn't vote for him either. Roy
Old 03-20-2011, 04:47 PM
FliteMetal

[size=2]When you guys get through posting this incestuous banter we can get back to the issue at hand. Consider the real
possibility those whom you bombast could very well be viewing your exchange of less than friendly blasts. It is this
very thing that creates needless issues.

Have you people forgotten it is much harder to be seen as a hobby than a threat when the subject is remote control
and all that one reads is criticism??? Wake up and smell the clear fresh air, take a deep breath and lets get back to
making friends....when we need them in Congress...or didn't that come through loud and clear?

This is the time if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:19 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Old 03-20-2011, 05:42 PM
afterburner

ORIGINAL: FliteMetal

[size=3]When you guys get through posting this incestuous banter we can get back to the issue at hand. Consider the real
possibility those whom you bombast could very well be viewing your exchange of less than friendly blasts. It is this
very thing that creates needless issues.

Have you people forgotten it is much harder to be seen as a hobby than a threat when the subject is remote control
and all that one reads is criticism??? Wake up and smell the clear fresh air, take a deep breath and lets get back to
making friends....when we need them in Congress...or didn't that come through loud and clear?

This is the time if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry Ed, I didn't know you were in charge of this situation. Fact is, I sent a polite and friendly letter(via the AMA)to my senator describing my "specific" issues with the proposed bill and I received nothing but a form letter filled with nothing but fluff and not addressing my issues so I won't stay quiet.

Marty
Old 03-20-2011, 06:37 PM
STKNRUD

Ed,

If our representatives in congress are obviously not reading our letters, I seriously doubt they are spending their time reading RCU threads. And if they are, it doesn't hurt for them to know their constituents are not thrilled with their form letter responses to our appropriate and respectfully written letters. Responses wherein they don't even acknowledge the subject of our letters let-a-lone their position. Isn't that what they are suppose to do? Who is trying to impress who or "make friends"? They work for us! I agree with Marty, if my representative ignores me, I am going to let them know I don't appreciate it and will remember it at the ballot box.

George
Old 03-21-2011, 04:40 AM
FliteMetal

Guys,

From what I understand everyone will "at least" receive a form letter acknowledgement as a letter receipt. In addition to the form letter...which was expected... I received two additional email of a personal nature three or four days after my letter was sent to each of my three representatives. One of whom was the individual who originally sponsored the bill to the Senate.

First of all, form letters are absolutely necessary...in the absence of downtime required to sit and reply to each automated AMA letter received. In my case, after all, our issue is one of an untold number of calls to action from others in each representative's district.

I felt fortunate to have received a second acknowledgement email and the assurance from all three they will do their part to protect our "privilege" to fly R/C, or in the case of Rep Greene, to review the issue. He was less familiar with the issue. All I can hope for is a clear head so he can understand our issue.

To be part of a "unified" education process to inform those who's vote determines my continued "privilege" of R/C flight is in my opinion something I should appreciate and though I may not personally understand other issues related to these people who do control my "privilege" to continue R/C flight...I am not going to throw mud in their eyes and vinegar instead of praise and a cup of honey...

You are with us or against us...there is no middle ground!

Those who are against us are stirring a stick in a huge cow patty to raise a stink so bad no one will pay attention to understand their mis-representation of the facts to see we suffer the same fate as they in the commercial R/C aka UAV industry. The FAA has already ruled to further constrain them... They seek to constrain recreational R/C more or less as a bully action saying openly if they can't....we won't.

More or less...you, he, and she who fly recreational R/C are responsible for this. I am someone who's paid attention for the last 7 years this has been on the FAA's front burner as a real threat. The "only" chance I have to constrain the FAA's decision (which has already been made) is to have it removed by the positive action of those in the House Of Representatives, who after its earlier approval in the Senate, can send it to the President for signature... I pray current events do not invoke a veto.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:11 AM
STKNRUD

Ed,

"When you guys get through posting this incestuous banter".... "I am not going to throw mud in their eyes and vinegar instead of praise and a cup of honey..."

You've sure got a way with words to try and win your point. Hope you did better in your letter to your congressmen. As for me, I will hold my representatives accountable and worry less about offending them for ignoring me.

George
Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 AM
AndyAndrews

Ed,

In all due respect, the form letters I received addressed the specific concerns we have regarding this issue. Both letters I received were differently worded by my Senators and they displayed their support for our position.

Is it to much to ask that each of our respective Senators do the same? These cruddy blanket replies that show no respect for the constituents concerns are worthless. Moreover, they are a reflection of what these Senators think about the people who put them in office.

Andy
Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 AM
STKNRUD

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Ed,

In all due respect, the form letters I received addressed the specific concerns we have regarding this issue. Both letters I received were differently worded by my Senators and they displayed their support for our position.

Is it to much to ask that each of our respective Senators do the same? These cruddy blanket replies that show no respect for the constituents concerns are worthless. Moreover, they are a reflection of what these Senators think about the people who put them in office.

Andy

Andy,

Well said. I got responses from both of my senators. Unbelievably they were IDENTICAL form letters (different offices and staffs) that didn't even mention the subject of my letter. At the very least, this is beyond the pale in terms of PR with a constituent. IMO most representatives listen to their party first, major contributors second and the rest of us last. I am glad that Ed had a different response from his representatives and I am equally glad that he feels as passionate about this subject as the rest of us. I just think he should leave some room for those of us who have had a different experience and consider his words towards his fellow modelers whose experiences are different than his.

George

Old 03-21-2011, 08:36 AM
FliteMetal

This has absolutely nothing to do with a right to communicate with one's representatives. It has everything to do with how.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Shaun Evans

Guys,

Come on. These people get thousands of letters/emails per month. Do you really expect them to sit down and hand-write a custom reply to each of them?

Holding them accountable and letting them know what you think is one thing. I think it's a good point that nasty, acrimonious tones don't help. If anything, it gives people an opportunity to minimize what you have to say and 'categorize' you. Some of the guys on RCU have taught me that lesson. Once we got past the labels, they turned out to be good people with more in common than I allowed when they were just 'the other guys.'

Maybe one day we'll all get to a point where people aren't evil or whatever just because they disagree with us on political or social issues. That was one of my New Year's resolutions, because I've been as guilty of it as anyone...
Old 03-21-2011, 08:51 AM
STKNRUD

"Come on. These people get thousands of letters/emails per month. Do you really expect them to sit down and hand-write a custom reply to each of them?"

Not in all cases but I do expect one of their office staff to at least add or change a couple words in a form letter so as to give me some idea that they even noted the subject of my letter to them. I don't think anyone is making the case for a "custom" "hand-written" reply...a bit of a provoking exaggeration to any post I've read here.

Politics....social issues???? No connection.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:55 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Guys,

Come on. These people get thousands of letters/emails per month. Do you really expect them to sit down and hand-write a custom reply to each of them?

Holding them accountable and letting them know what you think is one thing. I think it's a good point that nasty, acrimonious tones don't help. If anything, it gives people an opportunity to minimize what you have to say and 'categorize' you. Some of the guys on RCU have taught me that lesson. Once we got past the labels, they turned out to be good people with more in common than I allowed when they were just 'the other guys.'

Maybe one day we'll all get to a point where people aren't evil or whatever just because they disagree with us on political or social issues. That was one of my New Year's resolutions, because I've been as guilty of it as anyone...
Shawn,

That is true they do get thousands of letters etc. But once you start getting hundreds of letters addressing the same topic, its not too hard for them to write a form letter or give your staff direction on how you stand on an issue and send that out in mass. IE, just like my senators did. This is their job. It's not too much to ask them to perform it. The government is for the people not the other way around. Its high time some of these "professional" polititians realize that.

But that being said, I agree any time we send letters to our elected officials, they should always be courteous and respectful. And I believe this is what all of us have done.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Shaun Evans

...a bit of a provoking exaggeration to any post I've read here.

Politics....social issues???? No connection.

LOL,

I'm sure if I said, "Have a nice day", you'd find that a provoking exaggeration. I think it's pretty obvious that the state of affairs with our jets is, at least for us, a social issue. If this isn't a political issue, too, then I don't know what is. Politics IS 'social issues', btw.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.