Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

1/2 Scale BD5.. any info?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

1/2 Scale BD5.. any info?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2 Scale BD5.. any info?

After viewing the website (http://www.air-tech.info/) about the 1/2 scale BD5, I got a response back today. They sold the molds to a Swiss modelshop. Anyone over in Europe know of a www for that modelshop, what the company name is, or if they are planning to continue selling the kit? thanks

Old 11-17-2010, 03:25 PM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 1/2 Scale BD5.. any info?

It went to the very cunningly named Model Shop in Switzerland called www.swissmodelshop.ch
Old 11-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Zagzoo

Hmm.. only bd5 on there site is the xtreme jets one. I need the 1/2 scale one now!!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Jerry K
My Feedback: (1)

Your gonna need more than a Cheetah for that!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Zagzoo

ORIGINAL: Jerry Kirwan

Your gonna need more than a Cheetah for that!!!

Well the specs from the website said 28-36lb turbing.. cheetah is 31... probably have to breakdown and get a rhino (if I can every track one of these down)
The 1/2 scale is 102" wingspan.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Gripenflyer

I believe these guys are laying one up,check with them. http://www.billhempel.com/
Old 11-17-2010, 05:55 PM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this one
Old 11-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

I got an email from Bill Hempel yesterday in regards to his BD-5. Looks like it will not be available till next year after March sometime. It will have a full flying stab, glass fuse and foam core wings. It will be a fun model. I really hope Bill and the manufactures do their homework and build it right, because that will be a fun plane to burn around. I am very interested in it myself.

Billy
Old 11-17-2010, 10:14 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm looking forward to the Hemple BD-5 as well.. ever since having to sell my full-scale i've been itching for another.. Hopefully, they put some effort into making it more scale than the Byron and xtreme jets versions.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: G4guy

How about this one
Ok, spill it!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: invertmast

ORIGINAL: G4guy

How about this one
Ok, spill it!
Same guys here; http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10142357/tm.htm
And close to you Frank
Old 11-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Niklas H

hi guys...

I'm working at the Swiss Model Shop, so please feel free to ask any questions about our BD-5J.

And as noticed above the BD-5J is not on the Shop right now, because we don't have started the production now. If every thing goes well, we should be able to deliver the first kits in the first quarter of 2011.

There will be a complete scale landing gear system aviable and we're also working on the thrust reverser system wich was used on the original BD-5J! The airplane will be full composite, alle the parts will be GfK/Herex sandwich produced with vacuum technic. Ailerons and flaps wille be done as elastic flaps, horizontal stabilizer will be mounted with ball bearings and the rudder will be center hinged.

I will try to get you some detail pictures asap, i don't have them at home right now, only a few shots from our stand at the JetPower 2010.

But something maybe even better, the video of the prototyp flying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ulZttslUi0

It's equipped with a JetCat P160SX, the start looks a little bit ruf, but that was before we corrected the thurst angle, now it takes off absolutly smoth!

Best regards,

Niklas
Old 11-18-2010, 06:03 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Gonna be awfull hard to resist this one Esp if the price is right!!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:13 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: Niklas H

hi guys...

I'm working at the Swiss Model Shop, so please feel free to ask any questions about our BD-5J.

And as noticed above the BD-5J is not on the Shop right now, because we don't have started the production now. If every thing goes well, we should be able to deliver the first kits in the first quarter of 2011.

There will be a complete scale landing gear system aviable and we're also working on the thrust reverser system wich was used on the original BD-5J! The airplane will be full composite, alle the parts will be GfK/Herex sandwich produced with vacuum technic. Ailerons and flaps wille be done as elastic flaps, horizontal stabilizer will be mounted with ball bearings and the rudder will be center hinged.

I will try to get you some detail pictures asap, i don't have them at home right now, only a few shots from our stand at the JetPower 2010.

It's equipped with a JetCat P160SX, the start looks a little bit ruf, but that was before we corrected the thurst angle, now it takes off absolutly smoth!

Best regards,

Niklas
If you guys need any Beta-testers who have first hand BD-5 experience, let me know!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Zagzoo

ORIGINAL: Niklas H

hi guys...

Best regards,

Niklas
What all color schemes, or just going to be white?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Billy

Yes keep us informed. That looks very nice.
Billy
Old 11-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Billy

Dang it.... I should not have watched that video. It will be hard to sleep now All composite is very attractive.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Niklas H

So a little bit more Informations about our BD5-J

Specs:

Scale: 1:2 (50%)
Wingspan: 2,6m (~ 102.5 Inch)
Length: ~2m (~ 79inch)
Weight: should be around 15-16kg dry with a P160SX

I think a big and important point for such a model is the quality of the composite work, our BD-5J composite parts will be produced by [link=http://www.paritech.de/startseite/index2.php]Paritech GmbH[/link], the same manufacturer that produces for Skygate Collection or Tomahawk Design, wich most of you will know for their excellent composite airframes. Like them we will deliver our airframe completly white gelcoated.
Our landing gears (wich by the way can easly be powered with servos, so no air is needed) will be "Made in Switzerland".

I took some pictures today at the shop and hope you all wille enjoy them:

Picture 1-2: horizontal stabilizer
Picture 3-4: wings
Picutre 5-10: main gear, wich has like the full scale BD-5J some composite spring leaf struts.
Picture 11-12: fuselage inside, all a little bit dusty, time was too short to clean it out
Old 11-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Niklas H

And some pictures of the first provisorily mounted nosegear. As you can see its moving just the part that holds the front wheel, the acutal steering will be done with electrical breaks on the main gear.

On the ohter pictures you see our first prototyp of the thrust reverser! That thing should slow the BD-5J down extremly fast after takedown But it isn't necessary at all, with the low weight and great wing geometry and airfoil of the BD-5J it can be landed very slowly, but it's sure a nice little feature to play with.

Best regards,

Niklas
Old 11-20-2010, 12:36 PM
invertmast

That landing gear looks great! Not sure how scale you guys are going for (it looks like your doing it "right). So, the fiberglass gear struts were actually done away with on the J models. The reason for it, is the weight increase and the quality of fiberglass would delaminate if they got wet. It took time for this to happen, but most every J model had aluminum gear struts replacements. The jet wing was also 18' on the fullscale. Their were 2 naca duct inlets, and an additional naca duct on each side of the tailpipe to allow cooling air in and out.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:40 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

I started saving my pennies the first day this thread started. Ha.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Billy

Nice work Niklas. That wing looks light and strong. Great job. Will you make a cockpit for it as well?

Billy
Old 11-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Zagzoo

There a pre-order list yet? What a wonderfull bday gift for turning 40 end of next spring!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Billy

I'm thinking a Red Bull scheme would be awesome. I did one to my baby boomer a while back. i think the BD-5 would be a good candidate.

Billy
Old 11-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Niklas H

hey guys, thank you for intrest. And yes indeed would a Red Bull sheme be great! The Flying Bulls buyed a BD-5J, but i think they are still working on that one, haven't found any pictures, yet.

At the moment there is no Pre-Order list, because we have to figure out some details about the scope of delivery, prices, etc. As soon as we're ready, i'll let you guys know.

ORIGINAL: invertmast

That landing gear looks great! Not sure how scale you guys are going for (it looks like your doing it ''right). So, the fiberglass gear struts were actually done away with on the J models. The reason for it, is the weight increase and the quality of fiberglass would delaminate if they got wet. It took time for this to happen, but most every J model had aluminum gear struts replacements. The jet wing was also 18' on the fullscale. Their were 2 naca duct inlets, and an additional naca duct on each side of the tailpipe to allow cooling air in and out.
Yes, the Naca Ducts are beeing made in seperat moulds. But in generel it's hard to define a scale BD-5J most of the builders did some small modifications on their planes, so every fullscale is a little bit diffrent.
We're takin all our detail informations from a lot of photos that my boss Martin Sannwald personaly took when he visited Bob Bishop at the Marana Airfield in Tucson/AZ. Far as i know are all his machines equiped with fiberglas landing gears.

In generell, we are trying to provide a very good base for a nice scale model, as you see the gears are mostly scale and function like the full scale. On purpuse we didn't do any detailing on the fuselage, wings etc. because, as mentioned above all the fullscale are build different, on someone you see all the rivets and panel lines and some others are completly clean.

regards,

Niklas

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.