Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Original Paintings of YOUR Airplane!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Original Paintings of YOUR Airplane!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:58 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Original Paintings of YOUR Airplane!!!

Hey guys,
I'm posting this on behalf of my dad. He doesn't really do internet stuff that much.

My dad is semi retired and wants to get more involved in painting. He is a very talented artist having done artwork for some full scale pilots, most notably Pietsch airshows. He has also done artwork for the Red Deer international airshow posters when it still existed.
He would love to do more aviation artwork but we were trying to decide what a good market would be. I thought to myself, if the price was right, I bet there are guys who would love original paintings of their model jets. The beautiful part about this, is if you ever wanted to see your Bandit flying in perfect formation with your Bobcat, or your F86 flying over a field with your corvette in it you can have that!

He was figuring that for poster size art work (and this is for the original painting, not a print), he would charge $300 to $400. Of course, if there are multiple subjects costs would reflect that. This would be for completed but unframed artwork. The artwork could be matted and framed if desired as well.

My father did a full run of artwork for the RCMP at one time as well and was the first civilian ever permitted to replicate the RCMP's shield in the artwork.

All he would require from you are some good reference pictures of your airplane including one with the airplane at the angle you want it in the picture. They do not have to be flying shots at all, ground shots are fine. If you have specific background images you want then reference photo's would be great for that too. If you don't have a background in mind, he can create one for you.

He can also do them as profile illustrations, almost anything you want. The only subjects he does not do are portraits, faces are a discipline all their own, I can sympathize with him on that!

Here are some pictures of artwork he has done in the past, as an example, the F5 painting would be around $350! For original artwork of your model, I think it's a heck of a deal. If you are interested, you can contact me through RCU and I will get you in touch with him.

Thanks for looking!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Original Paintings of YOUR Airplane!!!

Jeremy,

My good friend Dan(Split S)painted me a beautiful Miss America mustang.It is my current avatar.I would love a painting of it,and a copy for him.He's doing my new firebird.I'll attach some pics.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Erik R

Pic.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Erik R

Pic.Kberk on the left.Big ugly doof in the middle is me.Dan (Split S) on the right.I tried to load more,but the server's not digging it.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Erik R

pic.Give me a shout.610-554-7455.Thanks in advance,and take care.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 PM
LGM Graphix

Hi Erik,
Those are some monsterous pictures!!!!!! LOL
I'll give you a call this weekend, not sure what our time difference is but I suspect you're pushing 10pm right now? (7pm here).
Jeremy
Old 11-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Erik R

Jeremy,

Sorry about the size of the pics.They all were large files,but downloaded differently.The first 2 were normal.Yes, 3 hr time difference.I'm working Sunday.If you don't get me,I'm in the air.Take care.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 AM
LGM Graphix

It doesn't have to be jets guys, as Erik has inquired about, he wants a warbird, dad can do any type of airplane you want, he could do cars, bikes, musical instruments, whatever you want as well!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Bob.R
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your Dad does good work Jeremy. Artistic talent obviously runs in the family.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:27 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your Dad should get into the Illustration/Aviation art world.

I collect aviation art. Mostly by artists such as Robert Taylor, Nicholas Trudjian and Hienz Krebs. They have done well in this area. They do work with the original pilots of the aircraft they "paint" for the signatures.

Go to a local aviation/military art gallery and show your stuff. What you got to lose.

Your Dad's work is better than some of the lesser known aviation artists that I have come across.

Just a thought.

Steve
Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upon a closer look, it appears you guys tried that already.

Man your Dad is good.

Steve
Old 11-23-2010, 11:05 AM
LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: SCALECRAFT

Your Dad should get into the Illustration/Aviation art world.

I collect aviation art. Mostly by artists such as Robert Taylor, Nicholas Trudjian and Hienz Krebs. They have done well in this area. They do work with the original pilots of the aircraft they ''paint'' for the signatures.

Go to a local aviation/military art gallery and show your stuff. What you got to lose.

Your Dad's work is better than some of the lesser known aviation artists that I have come across.

Just a thought.

Steve

It's a tough world to get into I think, like most art, these days most publishing companies want guys who are computer artists. I know a few guys that used to do airbrush illustrations, and do architectural renderings by hand, these days, those same guys have to do it all on the computer, even they feel like that takes the "art" out of it.
At any rate, dad would love to do that, but to get back into the swing of things, I know he'd love to do some of these types of paintings for modelers.
At $300 to $400 a painting I think it's a great deal. When I consider what I've paid for limited edition prints of other artists in the past....
Nothing beats original artwork

Thank you for the compliments as well, I'll be sure to pass them along to my dad!
Old 11-23-2010, 11:31 AM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Your dad does awesome work Jeremy! Now if only I could decide on what plane of the many I've flown over the years;-)...
great prices too... Is this acrylic? airbrush? oil?... how big exactly is "poster size"? are we talking like 2'X3'?
Thanks
Z
Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

LGM,

I used to work with Warren Pietsch (We called him War and Peace :-) ), do you know him? Been some time since I have seen him, the last time was at the Reno event 2 or 3 years ago...

Good dude, small world!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:25 PM
LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: jzuniga

Your dad does awesome work Jeremy! Now if only I could decide on what plane of the many I've flown over the years;-)...
great prices too... Is this acrylic? airbrush? oil?... how big exactly is ''poster size''? are we talking like 2'X3'?
Thanks
Z

Hey Z,
The paintings are Acrylic, and poster size would be yes, around 24" x 36".

Dave,
Warren and Kent actually used to fly part of their routine to some of my original music years and years ago. I saw Warren and Kent last year (or the year previous, I can't remember) at the Abbotsford Airshow here. Great guys for sure!

Jeremy
Old 11-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I stumbled onto your Post.

Your dad has great talent! I also wish him the best.

I'm an artist so I can honestly say I have interest.

I started doing Aviation Nose Art on leather jackets about 25 years ago. Unfortunately there's lots of guys doing that and they do it for little money.

This could be an area of interest for your dad because he works in acrylics, which dry fast, and jackets have to be done quickly to compete with price. I work in acrylics.

Here's a few of the jackets I've done.

The artwork if aviation type imagery?

Best place to start is with Aviation Galleries and Aviation Museums. Galleries will do consignment. Museums want it for free. Sometimes, for specialty work, they will pay.

Websites? Who knows if they really work or not?

Here's a few of my aviation paintings.

Making real money with art?

If dad is interested in that, local Galleries, who may be looking for talent and a new look in art imagery, will give advice as what subjects to paint. It won't be aviation. My non-aviation art sells better. Here's a photo or two of that also.

I don't make a living at this. I actually do it because I can.