Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1354

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Downwind turn Myth

OK, why is everyone too lazy to do the obvious?

Someone, PLEASE, make a little simulator video!!!

Set up a 20 kt wind right down the runway. Fly a cub in an oval circuit just above "stall speed" (I know, I know, there's no such thing as stall "speed", only stall AOA).

I think you can even do it with the little window that shows stick movements, can't you?

Then everyone can see the proof with their own eyes. The plane will NOT lose any more altitude turning downwind than turning upwind. At least not if the pilot keeps stick movements pretty much the same both ways. As I have said before, the turns will LOOK very different at each end of the circuit if stick movements are the same, and if you keep your thumb off the throttle.

Just don't anyone do it until we hit 1000, OK?

I admit I'm too lazy to do it. (Unless maybe the dinner offer applies to simulator videos too). I much prefer this armchair philosophizing. Seems to make time stand still, no?

#971 and honored to be part of the grand campaign to "1000"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's funny hearing people talking about turning into or out of a steady state wind..lol. Kinda defeats the whole point.. You take off into the wind and once airborne, there is no down wind.
    Call Sign blocked.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Set up a 20 kt wind right down the runway. Fly a cub in an oval circuit just above "stall speed" (I know, I know, there's no such thing as stall "speed", only stall AOA).

I think you can even do it with the little window that shows stick movements, can't you?

Then everyone can see the proof with their own eyes. The plane will NOT lose any more altitude turning downwind than turning upwind. At least not if the pilot keeps stick movements pretty much the same both ways. As I have said before, the turns will LOOK very different at each end of the circuit if stick movements are the same, and if you keep your thumb off the throttle.
    It's because those who don't want to believe now won't believe a vid either...they'll pick apart the software or something else rather than suffer the indignity of admitting they were wrong all along.
    RCU Rocks, I\'\'d hate to be without it !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: highhorse

Set up a 20 kt wind right down the runway. Fly a cub in an oval circuit just above ''stall speed'' (I know, I know, there's no such thing as stall ''speed'', only stall AOA).

It's because those who don't want to believe now won't believe a vid either...they'll pick apart the software or something else rather than suffer the indignity of admitting they were wrong all along.
    highhorse, do NOT lose faith in humanity!

A sublime faith in human imbecility has seldom led those who cherish it astray.
    Henry Ellis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I posted months ago about having actually done 3 consecutive 360's into and out of a 100+ knot wind (well over 200 kts cumulative groundspeed difference) in a 320,000 lb airplane that was within 30 kts of stall speed for those conditions. Once established in the turn, with a million $$ worth of auto pilot doing the flying so I could stay kicked back and relaxed.....

Nothing. No trim changes, no throttle changes, NO AIRSPEED CHANGES......nothing. Why? Cus what I said in post #1 is absolutely true. An airborne aircraft is completely unaffected and doesn't give s sh^t where the (steady state) wind is from. PERIOD. If that weren't the case then I'd have been 170kts below stall speed when downwind and would not be alive to type here in this thread.

What else is there to talk about?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not to mention we all take advantage of the jet stream. That can be 200kts on the tail. You don't stall, just go REALLY fast
    Call Sign blocked.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Exactly. I was turning into and out of a 100kt+ jetstream and I didn't die.

Go figure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go figure.
    I dont get that one, never seen a pelican do it so it cannot be safe....also turning in/out of a jetstream is not a steady state condition. Once in it it may be. For safety we always fly into a jetstream, it does slow you down a bit but at least you dont have to turn downwind.
    And dont try this in a simulator, its not the same either. Real planes use airmolecules, FS uses electrons which can turn a lot easier and travel faster.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just to keep the post count up.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/2eYoymfSqN0"

These guy know aerodynamics.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Moerig

Go figure.
    I dont get that one, never seen a pelican do it so it cannot be safe....also turning in/out of a jetstream is not a steady state condition. Once in it it may be. For safety we always fly into a jetstream, it does slow you down a bit but at least you dont have to turn downwind.
    And dont try this in a simulator, its not the same either. Real planes use airmolecules, FS uses electrons which can turn a lot easier and travel faster.
    I'm gonna give u the benefit of the doubt and assume ur kidding? It's getting pretty hard to tell...........

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go figure.
    I'm gonna give u the benefit of the doubt and assume ur kidding? It's getting pretty hard to tell...........
    Ok, I am kidding about the pelicans...

JUST 20 POSTS TO GO!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: roger.alli

Just to keep the post count up.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/2eYoymfSqN0''

These guy know aerodynamics.

Pay no attention to these Australian people. Down there, since they're upside down, the planes have the curved surface on the bottom of the wing instead of the top. A flight instructor I trust told me this, and besides, that's how it seems to me, so scr*w the physics.
    Al Gunn
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood No. 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I posted months ago about having actually done 3 consecutive 360's into and out of a 100+ knot wind (well over 200 kts cumulative groundspeed difference) in a 320,000 lb airplane that was within 30 kts of stall speed for those conditions. Once established in the turn, with a million $$ worth of auto pilot doing the flying so I could stay kicked back and relaxed.....

Nothing. No trim changes, no throttle changes, NO AIRSPEED CHANGES......nothing. Why? Cus what I said in post #1 is absolutely true. An airborne aircraft is completely unaffected and doesn't give s sh^t where the (steady state) wind is from. PERIOD. If that weren't the case then I'd have been 170kts below stall speed when downwind and would not be alive to type here in this thread.

Futaba vs JR...
    Sverrir G. - Icelandic Volcano Yeti

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

While I agree that airspeed is certainly different than ground speed, I disagree that wind has no effect when turning upwind or downwind. The aircraft has mass (weight) and needs time to accelerate or slow down (relative to ground speed) to maintain the same airspeed. Take a relatively heavy (scale ship) plane, fly it upwind on windy day, make a relatively quick 180ΒΊ turn to downwind and watch what happens. The plane will drop because it cannot accelerate fast enough (due to its mass) to maintain the same airspeed when turning downwind. That is why experienced pilots will add some throttle as they begin their downwind turn.

Dave S.

(yes the plane will fly from the moving treadmill )

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The aircraft has mass (weight) and needs time to accelerate or slow down (relative to ground speed) to maintain the same airspeed.
    What does "accelerate or slow down (relative to ground speed)" mean? When it turns downwind, its ground speed will indeed increase. That occurs not because the wind is "pushing" the plane or some such nonsense, but because the plane is flying in a moving mass of air, which always, no matter what the plane is doing, adds its (the air's) speed relative to the ground to what would be the plane's calm-air groundspeed. But that change in groundspeed has nothing to do with its airspeed. The airplane's ground speed affects where it is relative to the ground. It cannot affect the way it flies, as except for gravity the ground exerts no forces on the plane. You could think about somebody in a hot-air balloon flying an RC plane in a circle around the balloon in a steady wind. If you want to think. Many people don't. Theory, all the books, all the experience of pilots show that this downwind turn stuff is indeed a myth. But you don't have to agree with it, just as you don't have to agree that the earth is in orbit around the sun. (Hey, it looks to me like the sun goes around the earth. Look into a telescope?? Hey, I don't need no stinkin' evidence.)

It's probably time for another post saying that gusts affect airspeed so the "myth" proponents are full of it. 15 to go!
    Al Gunn
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood No. 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Post Count - 986

Red Leader: Almost there, almost there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11619.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	1629740  
    Jeti USA Flight Team, Kingtech Turbines, bavarianDEMON / DemonAero team, MKS Servos USA, National Vice-President - Jet Pilots Organization, Jet Team USA - JWM 2015
    http://www.espritmodel.com, http://www.kingtechturbines.com, http://www.demonaero.com, http://www.mksservosusa.com, http://www.jetpilots.org, http://www.jwm2015.com/en/start.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Selleri

Futaba vs JR...
    Valid point, when turning downwind will DSMX be at a disadvantage to FASST. With more antennas, Spek could take more time to accelerate to the downwind velocity intererence waveform.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Cosmicwind

While I agree that airspeed is certainly different than ground speed, I disagree that wind has no effect when turning upwind or downwind. The aircraft has mass (weight) and needs time to accelerate or slow down (relative to ground speed) to maintain the same airspeed. Take a relatively heavy (scale ship) plane, fly it upwind on windy day, make a relatively quick 180ΒΊ turn to downwind and watch what happens. The plane will drop because it cannot accelerate fast enough (due to its mass) to maintain the same airspeed when turning downwind. That is why experienced pilots will add some throttle as they begin their downwind turn.

Dave S.

Oh for crying out loud, read the thread. See that this notion has been beaten to death and corrected a dozen or more times at least.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go figure.
    I dont get that one, never seen a pelican do it so it cannot be safe....also turning in/out of a jetstream is not a steady state condition. Once in it it may be. For safety we always fly into a jetstream, it does slow you down a bit but at least you dont have to turn downwind.And dont try this in a simulator, its not the same either. Real planes use airmolecules, FS uses electrons which can turn a lot easier and travel faster.

JUST 20 POSTS TO GO!
    Too bad u were only kidding about the pelicans, cus most of what u posted was bunk. Read the thread for hundreds of explanations why.

And because you refuse to understand what should have been an obvious point, I will clarify; The 360's were all conducted within the stream. The jetstream is no some tube of air on can enter and exit within the span of a 360 turn. Go make your living in it for 26 years and then come back and tell us we the "we" is in the highlighted sentence.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Cosmicwind

Dave S.

Oh for crying out loud, read the thread. See that this notion has been beaten to death and corrected a dozen or more times at least.
    Indeed, the plane most certainly will not take off from the moving treadmill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The jetstream is no some tube of air on can enter and exit within the span of a 360 turn.
    I'd like to tap your vast experience, how many degrees does it require?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go figure.
    I dont get that one, never seen a pelican do it so it cannot be safe....also turning in/out of a jetstream is not a steady state condition. Once in it it may be. For safety we always fly into a jetstream, it does slow you down a bit but at least you dont have to turn downwind.And dont try this in a simulator, its not the same either. Real planes use airmolecules, FS uses electrons which can turn a lot easier and travel faster.

JUST 20 POSTS TO GO!
    Too bad u were only kidding about the pelicans, cus most of what u posted was bunk. Read the thread for hundreds of explanations why.

And because you refuse to understand what should have been an obvious point, I will clarify; The 360's were all conducted within the stream. The jetstream is no some tube of air on can enter and exit within the span of a 360 turn. Go make your living in it for 26 years and then come back and tell us we the ''we'' is in the highlighted sentence.
    Ok I was not only kidding about the pelicans, relax you are 100% correct since post 1, cant believe its still going, hence my attempts at some irony. I am messing with the idiots that come up with the most ridiculous schemes, like you said. Thought you would get it... I mean geez electrons vs air molecules.
    Anyway I know nothing about jetstreams. I am assuming the transition is not an abrupt one but steady/progressive. I would assume such a stream is pretty wide as well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	If10461.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	1629825  
    Goldwing MX2 & DLE 30 + Harris smoke pump
    Seagull Super Tucano 91 & DLE 20
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ceecrb1
    Flying dogs
    If you examine the dogs shape they are clearly torpedoes and therefore better understood using the laws of hydrodynamics than aerodynamics – so it should be clear they don’t need lift, only buoyancy – which of course removes all risk from the downwind turn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aaah so thats why superman doesnt have this problem either?
    Goldwing MX2 & DLE 30 + Harris smoke pump
    Seagull Super Tucano 91 & DLE 20
    Trex 500

Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast