Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Downwind turn Myth

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Downwind turn Myth

Old 09-13-2015, 07:54 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Rodger, exactly right. +1
I use this same example all the time. I like to add a hot air balloon in the center though.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Turbotronic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kmeyers
"Erroneous momentum problem", in physics there is no erroneous momentum problem. The energy is in the fluids density and the planes collisions with that fluid. Gravity is center of mass to center of mass.
Throw a ball in the water near a rocky shore and watch the wave action smash the ball against the rocks or a pier pilling.
The ball's momentum is changing constantly, as is a planes. When the water smashes the ball into the rocks it has nothing to do with a downstream turn, it is the power of the fluid that smashes it.

The power of the fluid is a little harder to see when it is invisible (air is invisible).

But, it is not the planes turn, which changes the momentum slightly it is by the added drag of manuvering slowing it's relative speed.

It is the fluid that the plane is captive in where the power lies. With all physics it is the case that the energy is conserved. There is no loss that is not easily seen as a gain elsewhere. Nor gain that is not seen as a loss elsewhere.

14 pounds per square inch pressure @ STP is enough at speed to fly a 1,000,000 lb 747 at take off speed in that invisible fluid.

Downwind turn is a myth! Attitude plus power equals performance.
100% well said. There is no arguing with physics.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:27 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roger.alli
Hi Bob,

Jack is correct..

The Inertia of an object has nothing to do with the planet earth.. The definition of inertia; “is a bodies tendency to resist acceleration The tendency of a body at rest to remain at rest or of a body in motion to stay in motion in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force.

This article explains it nicely.

http://www.flyingmag.com/pilots-plac...d-turns-really

I really believe that this writer Peter Garrison suffered from vertigo or Loss of balance because of a rapid 180 degree turn on his vertical axis, Which is impossible for any moving vehicle to change direction on it's axis unless of course it's doing a Lomcovak or something like that. Where all bets are out the window.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:40 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by roger.alli
Hi Bob,

I have great respect for you, your modelling skills, (BVM F100F) and your general knowledge of aviation both model and full size. However, in this instance, you, and Mr McClellen are wrong. (or perhaps as we say in Australia ”having a lend of us”).

Jack is correct..

The Inertia of an object has nothing to do with the planet earth.. The definition of inertia; “is a bodies tendency to resist acceleration The tendency of a body at rest to remain at rest or of a body in motion to stay in motion in a straight line unless acted on by an outside force.

This article explains it nicely.

http://www.flyingmag.com/pilots-plac...d-turns-really

My Experiment. (as if we need another one!!)
  • Take a constant state wind condition. (Pick your own wind strength, 25 knots will do).
  • Add an air plane, in flight. C 172 will do.
  • Put said airplane into a rate two turn (6 deg per second).
  • Set throttle to maintain this turn at constant bank angle, constant air speed, and constant height.
  • Freeze the controls, and throttle, so the turn continues indefinitely, maintaining height and speed in the moving mass of air.
  • Continue this turn indefinitely.

The plane is now in a stable condition, completing a360 deg turn once every 60 seconds. (albeit drifting in the direction the wind is blowing.)

As the plane completes each lap, you will not see the plane “zoom” as it turns towards the wind direction. You will not see the plane “sag” as it turns away from the wind direction. There is no momentary "sag" in airspeed as the plane turns away from the wind direction, while it’s inertia catches up.. And there is no excess of inertia causing a "zoom" as it turns toward the wind direction.

With controls locked, the plane will happily circle at constant airspeed/height all day, until fuel runs out!!

Roger
Roger,

Thanks, I think...

I can get my head around that thought experiment, I can even see adding a balloon (even one with a glass gondola with disappearing walls...)

Where I run into trouble, conceptually, at least, is a wind gradient - i.e., which frame of reference do I use to explain that flying into the headwind from a microburst results in an increase in airspeed, or that flying into the tailwind from a microburst results in a decrease in airspeed?

Dynamic soaring is also hard to me to get my head around - i.e., how can I add energy to a non-powered aircraft by flying into and out of, the same wind gradient?

Bob
Old 09-14-2015, 07:57 AM
Jaybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Dynamic soaring is also hard to me to get my head around - i.e., how can I add energy to a non-powered aircraft by flying into and out of, the same wind gradient?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_soaring

By using gravity and flying a loop or other manuaver that uses a vertical element.

Jaybird
Old 09-14-2015, 08:01 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Roger,

Thanks, I think...

I can get my head around that thought experiment, I can even see adding a balloon (even one with a glass gondola with disappearing walls...)

Where I run into trouble, conceptually, at least, is a wind gradient - i.e., which frame of reference do I use to explain that flying into the headwind from a microburst results in an increase in airspeed, or that flying into the tailwind from a microburst results in a decrease in airspeed?

Dynamic soaring is also hard to me to get my head around - i.e., how can I add energy to a non-powered aircraft by flying into and out of, the same wind gradient?

Bob
Again all bets are off with a Micro Burst ... in that a Micro Burst is a RAPID change of wind direction caused by a down draft from a thunder storm that is behind U. If it occurs in front of U then what happens?
Old 09-14-2015, 08:39 AM
billgiacomo615
My Feedback: (111)

If this is true why does an air plane go faster with the wind than against it or take a blimp why does it go faster with the wind or a kite you cant fly a kite with the wind
Old 09-14-2015, 09:44 AM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by billgiacomo615
If this is true why does an air plane go faster with the wind than against it or take a blimp why does it go faster with the wind or a kite you cant fly a kite with the wind

The plane or blimp doesn't go any faster. They still fly at the same indicated speed, but the ground speed increases with the wind. Have you read any of the rest of this thread?
Old 09-14-2015, 09:50 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.png
Views:	375
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	2119931  
Old 09-14-2015, 09:53 AM
billgiacomo615

I dont think they had airplanes when he was around
Old 09-14-2015, 10:18 AM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by Jaybird
"Dynamic soaring is also hard to me to get my head around - i.e., how can I add energy to a non-powered aircraft by flying into and out of, the same wind gradient?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_soaring

By using gravity and flying a loop or other maneuver that uses a vertical element.

Jaybird
Actually, you don't have to have a vertical element - there videos out there of dynamic soaring where the aircraft remains relatively level from an altitude perspective - just doing a loop into and out of the airmass moving up the slope vs. the stationary airmass against the slope...

From the Wikipedia article you site:

"While different flight patterns can be employed in dynamic soaring, the simplest example to explain the energy extraction mechanism is a closed loop across the boundary layer between two airmasses in relative movement. The gain in speed can be explained in terms of airspeed or groundspeed:
  • The glider gains airspeed twice during the loop, when it pierces the boundary layer at an acute angle. Since the 180° turns retain most of the airspeed the glider completes the loop within the initial airmass at a higher airspeed.
  • The gain in groundspeed occurs when the glider performs a 180° downwind turn within the moving airmass. Since the opposite 180° turn is done within the stationary airmass the groundspeed gain is not reversed.
The energy is extracted by reducing the velocity difference between the two airmasses during the 180° turns which accelerate air in opposite directions."

Say what??? Somebody draw me the vector diagrams for that, my head hurts...

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 09-14-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:32 AM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Again all bets are off with a Micro Burst ... in that a Micro Burst is a RAPID change of wind direction caused by a down draft from a thunder storm that is behind U. If it occurs in front of U then what happens?
We all know what a microburst is - there are plenty of pictures of it out there, but I don't know what you mean when you say "all bets are off in a micro burst." The laws of physics aren't repealed in a microburst, so what frame of reference should you use for the aircraft's inertia to explain the gain, and subsequent loss, of airspeed in a microburst encounter? How RAPID does the change in wind direction need to be to make the effect noticeable vs. the aircraft's mass?

Like I said, I got the downwind turn in a consistent (i.i, non-changing) airmass moving at a constant speed - the previous examples make sense (except Peter Garrison's article, but I never liked his articles in Flying anyway - I think he should stick his head out the window of that 70MPH train and then turn frontwards and backwards and see if he feels a difference... ).

Bob

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	microburst_e.gif
Views:	374
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	2119932  

Last edited by rhklenke; 09-14-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:32 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

If windspeed has no effect on airspeed, what happened to Delta 191?
Old 09-14-2015, 12:50 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hugger-4641
If windspeed has no effect on airspeed, what happened to Delta 191?
This is what happens when a thread gets this long....the same points must be made over and over.

There are probably 100 posts in this thread specifically stating that wind SHEAR is a completely different topic. That's a sudden change in the velocity and/or direction of the wind. Think of them as uber-gusts. Gusting conditions can either add or subtract airspeed, are not the topic of this thread, and are not material to the discussion of the downwind turn myth.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:52 PM
Jaybird

Hey, how about them Red Sox???

Jaybird
Old 09-14-2015, 12:57 PM
HoundDog

We all know what a microburst is - there are plenty of pictures of it out there, but I don't know what you mean when you say "all bets are off in a micro burst." The laws of physics aren't repealed in a microburst, so what frame of reference should you use for the aircraft's inertia to explain the gain, and subsequent loss, of airspeed in a microburst encounter? How RAPID does the change in wind direction need to be to make the effect noticeable vs. the aircraft's mass?

Like I said, I got the downwind turn in a consistent (i.i, non-changing) airmass moving at a constant speed - the previous examples make sense (except Peter Garrison's article, but I never liked his articles in Flying anyway - I think he should stick his head out the window of that 70MPH train and then turn frontwards and backwards and see if he feels a difference... ).

Bob

I don't know what you mean when you say "all bets are off in a micro burst."

I mean that Micro Burst have nothing to do with Down Wind Turn thingy. So bets off.
Micro Bursts are a form of wind shear and is not a constant mass of moving air. Neither are Gusty wind conditions. It's not a factor if U "KEEP THE SPEED UP" in gusty conditions. Everyone knows that the stall speed goes up & down with increased bank angle and plane configure condition. i.e. Weight, forward or reward center of BALANCE, Gear up or down and Flap Settings
Old 09-14-2015, 02:16 PM
billgiacomo615

If windspeed has no effect on a plane then why do commercial planes avoid storms and why high winds blow over planes and they have to tie them down in high winds?
Old 09-14-2015, 02:32 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Another factor in the downwind myth is the related transmitter stare.

Many pilots after a crash look down at their transmitter and stare at it. They stare as if somehow the fact that everybody was watching and knows pilot error was the cause of the crash that just occurred, if they stare in disbelief long enough they can convince someone that the transmitter was at fault.

I saw a video of dynamic soaring and it was amazing.

Last edited by kmeyers; 09-14-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:26 PM
Lownverted

If windspeed has no effect on a plane then why do commercial planes avoid storms and why high winds blow over planes and they have to tie them down in high winds?

Please, please! Go back and read. You are making yourself look foolish here. Start with the first post.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:31 PM
billgiacomo615

I dont think so, when you make silly statements the maker is the silly one
Old 09-14-2015, 04:10 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best answer is storms are an uncomfortable ride for the paying passengers. An airplane on the ground has nothing to do with this discussion; all objects with light weight and enough surface area are prone to wind damage. I have never seen a tree make a downwind turn but I have seen trees loose limbs or be blown completely over by wind.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:34 PM
HoundDog

That's Wind Shear Not a steady moving mass of air. A Whole different problem and unlike the "Down wind Turn" MYTH, Wind Shear is REAL.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:19 AM
Lownverted

I dont think so, when you make silly statements the maker is the silly one
Stay ignorant my friend.........
Old 09-15-2015, 07:46 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kmeyers
"Erroneous momentum problem", in physics there is no erroneous momentum problem. The energy is in the fluids density and the planes collisions with that fluid. Gravity is center of mass to center of mass.
Throw a ball in the water near a rocky shore and watch the wave action smash the ball against the rocks or a pier pilling.
The ball's momentum is changing constantly, as is a planes. When the water smashes the ball into the rocks it has nothing to do with a downstream turn, it is the power of the fluid that smashes it.

The power of the fluid is a little harder to see when it is invisible (air is invisible).

But, it is not the planes turn, which changes the momentum slightly it is by the added drag of manuvering slowing it's relative speed.

It is the fluid that the plane is captive in where the power lies. With all physics it is the case that the energy is conserved. There is no loss that is not easily seen as a gain elsewhere. Nor gain that is not seen as a loss elsewhere.

14 pounds per square inch pressure @ STP is enough at speed to fly a 1,000,000 lb 747 at take off speed in that invisible fluid.

Downwind turn is a myth! Attitude plus power equals performance.
Isn't the "manuver" the turn?

Look, there are those who will believe what they want to believe no matter what. This conversation has been going on since usenet (even before rec,models.rc.air). Even when I wrote on rec.model.rc.air about my conversation with the engineers at the NAVAIR flight simulation program for the F-18 very few minds were changed. It's really a waste of time, at least for me, and I think this will be my last post on the subject. Some of you will silently appaud tha decision. Heck, most of you will silently applaud.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:01 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Bob

I know I said no more comments from me on this but I just saw this and must say thank you to Bob. I looked up microburst in wikipedia nd evne found the same thing about why planes crash and it has nothing to do with the plane being pushed down in the center of the microburst (which would be consistent with the momentum inertia with respect to airflow theory) but rather than rapid change from upwind to downwind external airflow. Thank you, thank you, thank you Bob.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.