Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Downwind turn Myth

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Downwind turn Myth

Old 09-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hounddog
u will never convince some people that the "down wind turn myth" is just that a "myth"
some people still believe in the easter bunny, tooth ferry, santa clause, the boggy man, to say nothing of the dwt myth. I suggest to just leave them to their devices they'll never be convinced.
hey why are you picking on sandy claws eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2015, 05:38 PM
rutanman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Real Airplanes - Pitot static tube to measure general "Air Velocity" over wing. Stall speed is stall speed for an airplane - if you're riding exactly stall speed and you encounter a steady tailwind - the plane has to make up the difference - usually a very shallow descent to regain the previous flying speed if the plane was at trimmed conditions. (If the plane wasn't trimmed - then all bets are off - you are not in a steady state condition.) A gust - say a quick breeze will send a plane into a phugoid motion. Can also be simulated by trimming the plane at a given power setting and deflecting the elevator and then placing it back to it's original position. If the plane is statically and dynamically stable - the planes oscillations will dampen out to it's original condition.

Don't confuse beginner pilots - Always take off and land into the wind. Shortens takeoff and landing and allows a pilot to clear obstacles around an airport.

And beginner r/c pilots- do so (takeoff into the wind) until you have a plane powerful enough to make the vector component of wind not important where your difference of power available to power required is great.

Wind is a force - a pressure per unit area. It has a magnitude and a direction and it must obey all laws of physics.

A plane loosely tied down could technically be flying if ground head winds would be above it's stall speed. An airspeed indicator, if powered up would show the speed of the wind as the plane's indicated airspeed.

(see pages 176,177 and especially page 178 https://books.google.com/books?id=8D...stream&f=false )
Old 09-16-2015, 11:26 PM
Turbotronic

I know I don't have to read any of the daft arguments here. But just seeing it in the forum shakes my over optimistic dream that homo sapiens average IQ is more than 100. Sadly I am proven wrong every time.
It is not the issue of the "myth", just the will full ignorance to accept any argument other than that presented by the ego that saddens me. Here it is harmless but in the real world it causes untold misery.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:15 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbotronic
But just seeing it in the forum shakes my over optimistic dream that homo sapiens average IQ is more than 100. Sadly I am proven wrong every time.
Since average IQ is defined as 100, you want the average IQ to be higher than the average IQ? That's impossible!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2015, 12:27 AM
Turbotronic

Originally Posted by HarryC
Since average IQ is defined as 100, you want the average IQ to be higher than the average IQ? That's impossible!!!!!!!!!!!
Yea I know... I am hoping the scientists got the test distribution median wrong since 100 is real stupid. In fact below 120's should not be allowed to vote or have more than 2 children IMO.
Then again I have a PHD uncle with 145 IQ which is the daftest of them all...
Old 09-17-2015, 02:05 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RZielin
This is the exact concept that I demonstrated in a 2 part video a while back. I consider this proof that the Myth is indeed not true. Some day I'll try to do it with a real plane but it will require the perfect conditions and a bunch of time. I've posted this before, so forgive me if for that, but I hope this helps some of the newer arrivals to this thread who are just getting the idea of the frame of reference issue that drives this entire debate. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaPKLUdbqLU
Great videos, if these can't turn the minds of the "myth believers", nothing can
Old 09-17-2015, 03:52 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbotronic
I know I don't have to read any of the daft arguments here. But just seeing it in the forum shakes my over optimistic dream that homo sapiens average IQ is more than 100. Sadly I am proven wrong every time.
It is not the issue of the "myth", just the will full ignorance to accept any argument other than that presented by the ego that saddens me. Here it is harmless but in the real world it causes untold misery.
Turbotronic; Myth NO.
Come on now Turbotronic; Being from the Southern Hemisphere even your Drains turn the wrong way ... Welcome To the Discussion. Glad to have ya.

Hey every one let's start any post with MYTH Yes or No
Old 09-17-2015, 07:08 AM
Lvan09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pitot tubes measure freestream (undisturbed) air velocity. Air velocity over or under the wing would be very different.

Stall speed is not always stall speed, wings stall at an angle of attack unrelated to airspeed.

Few airspeed indicators require power, they are an analogue gauge measuring pressure differential.

LV

Originally Posted by rutanman
Real Airplanes - Pitot static tube to measure general "Air Velocity" over wing. Stall speed is stall speed for an airplane - if you're riding exactly stall speed and you encounter a steady tailwind - the plane has to make up the difference - usually a very shallow descent to regain the previous flying speed if the plane was at trimmed conditions. (If the plane wasn't trimmed - then all bets are off - you are not in a steady state condition.) A gust - say a quick breeze will send a plane into a phugoid motion. Can also be simulated by trimming the plane at a given power setting and deflecting the elevator and then placing it back to it's original position. If the plane is statically and dynamically stable - the planes oscillations will dampen out to it's original condition.

Don't confuse beginner pilots - Always take off and land into the wind. Shortens takeoff and landing and allows a pilot to clear obstacles around an airport.

And beginner r/c pilots- do so (takeoff into the wind) until you have a plane powerful enough to make the vector component of wind not important where your difference of power available to power required is great.

Wind is a force - a pressure per unit area. It has a magnitude and a direction and it must obey all laws of physics.

A plane loosely tied down could technically be flying if ground head winds would be above it's stall speed. An airspeed indicator, if powered up would show the speed of the wind as the plane's indicated airspeed.

(see pages 176,177 and especially page 178 https://books.google.com/books?id=8D...stream&f=false )
Old 09-17-2015, 08:08 AM
BrightGarden

What would be great is every RC pilot get about 4-5 hours training in full scale aircraft.

By about this point of training you would get the concept of air versus ground tracking on that turn to base from downwind.

If there is 20 mph blowing right down the runway, to track square on the ground, you have to turn > 90 degrees to crab into the wind and get a square ground track.

This also gives an advantageous view of the runway.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:21 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
What would be great is every RC pilot get about 4-5 hours training in full scale aircraft.

By about this point of training you would get the concept of air versus ground tracking on that turn to base from downwind.

If there is 20 mph blowing right down the runway, to track square on the ground, you have to turn > 90 degrees to crab into the wind and get a square ground track.

This also gives an advantageous view of the runway
The down wind turn Myth is just that a Myth
BrightGarden; said

"By about this point of training you would get the concept of air versus ground tracking on that turn to base from downwind".

Again U are speaking of Ground Track which is not the subject here it's about a constant rate turn from Up Wind `180 Degrees to Down wind Being Dangerous. Not Doe Wind to Base. It's on the other end of the runway.

It's only Dangerous When flying at a CAS and U increase your bank angle to an angle that has a greater Stall Speed than your CAS.

Last edited by HoundDog; 09-17-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:54 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn if any of you are interested. even comes complete with toll booths.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:06 PM
Rob2160

It helps to understand the origin of the Downwind turn "myth"

The idea started when pilots were flying circuits on windy days when there was significant wind gradient between ground level and 1000ft agl.

Taking off and climbing upwind in 10 knots of headwind, then commencing a turn to downwind while also climbing into stronger winds (e.g 30kts tailwind at 1000ft) will definitely cause you to lose airspeed and approach the stall.

Instructors would say, "be careful turning downwind today as you will lose airspeed" and taking this caution out of context is how the myth was born.

It does not apply if you are turning in steady unchanging wind.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:34 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Rob2160

The idea started when pilots were flying circuits on windy days when there was significant wind gradient between ground level and 1000ft agl.

Taking off and climbing upwind in 10 knots of headwind, then commencing a turn to downwind while also climbing into stronger winds (e.g 30kts tailwind at 1000ft) will definitely cause you to lose airspeed and approach the stall.

Instructors would say, "be careful turning downwind today as you will lose airspeed" and taking this caution out of context is how the myth was born.

It does not apply if you are turning in steady unchanging wind.'
Now that's the best explanation I've ever heard. Mystery Solved.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Rob2160

It does not apply if you are turning in steady unchanging wind.
I understand it started when airspeed indicators were not used or with early inaccurate versions. Back then they had to judge by observing the ground speed only. The airspeed does not change when turning downwind.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:37 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I understand it started when airspeed indicators were not used or with early inaccurate versions. Back then they had to judge by observing the ground speed only. The airspeed does not change when turning downwind .
airspeed does not change when turning downwind IN A CONSTANT VELOCITY WIND That is not higher than the stall speed for the bank angle of the turn. The plane, can not will, loose Air Speed if the relative wind is gusty or Wind Shear, let's say created by a Micro Burst or a sudden Gest front from an approaching Thunder Storm.

There are those on both sides of the issue that will never be convinced that what they believe is incorrect, they will go to their grave insisting that they are right ... Same thing with their Brand of R/C Radio system they have invested in or even the CHEVY or FORD they drive.
"It ain't over till it's Over" Well guess it's Over Yogi RIP.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This guy looks like he was a victim of the downwind turn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxbulrrQVig
Old 09-24-2015, 12:37 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Lownverted
This guy looks like he was a victim of the downwind turn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxbulrrQVig
"Bull Puckey" He released from the tow plane going UP wind Turned Down wind and lost altitude to gain speed. When he crashed he was turning INTO the Up wind Not WITH the down wind. His problem was too high stall Speed for the bank angle and the Air speed he had. Just another Dummy removed from the Gene Pool. Too bad for the sail plane though.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:00 PM
dbsonic

That's a Swift aerobatic glider and he survived the crash. He was performing aerobatics on tow with a low ceiling. After doing a roll on tow and decided to release due to the excessive slack line(probably would have resulted in a rope break anyways). His mistake was deploying spoilers too soon in a low pattern and on a ship with a fairly high stall speed as compared to most gliders except perhaps a Fox. But yes, stalled it.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:17 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by dbsonic
That's a Swift aerobatic glider and he survived the crash. He was performing aerobatics on tow with a low ceiling. After doing a roll on tow and decided to release due to the excessive slack line(probably would have resulted in a rope break anyways). His mistake was deploying spoilers too soon in a low pattern and on a ship with a fairly high stall speed as compared to most gliders except perhaps a Fox. But yes, stalled it.
"S&*% Happens or as a deaf friend says POOP Occurs" Glad to hear he lived.
I would believe your reference to the "Down Wind Turn Myth" Was Tongue in Cheek.
Correct?
Old 09-24-2015, 01:36 PM
dbsonic

That was the other poster, but yeah, I think he was being tongue in cheek.

In the full size forums there are similar discussions. Although more about questioning what might have happened in the most recent accident being reported. Unfortunately there are incidents every day in GA and often involve the landing phase.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:54 AM
Turbotronic

In software terms this thread is like an infinite loop. Arguments get repeated over and over. Get over it.
Try space-time vs speed of light as an argument with the flat earth society.
It has a better chance of agreement.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:31 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I guess Corey Lidle didn't know about the myth either. Some people can't get it through their heads that using a calculator for turn in a full scale plane is not the same as trying to follow a specific ground trac. Rc pilots don't usually know what their heading is, all they are doing is trying to stay in a pattern in relation to the ground. Any crop duster pilot can tell you what will happen if you turn downwind without enough speed or altitude as this is one of the few full scale activities that is similar to what we do as RC pilots.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:27 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Three years later we're starting another loop?!?!?!
Old 04-27-2018, 07:30 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Please make it stop! Mother!
Old 04-27-2018, 07:48 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

why make it stop? people have to learn one way or another.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.