Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Downwind turn Myth

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Downwind turn Myth

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 10:44 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

5-15kt winds, so 10kt difference between lull & gust. Your stall speed is 35kts. You are 5kts above stall (40kts) & ok in the crosswind, turn into the wind & encounter a gust & your indicated airspeed will momentarily indicate 50kts (you are fine), but turn into the downwind & encounter the gust from behind & you will momentarily indicate 30kts which is 5 below your stall speed & it will be a bad day. Because of the laws of physics the mass of the aircraft takes time to accelerate to the gust factor & can put your wing into a stalled state during high alpha/low speed flight. Not the biggest deal because we all bump up our speed to accommodate for gust.
Best airplane to play with this would be a trainer or clipped wing cub. Do a sharp turn into the wind & it's hard to get in down (porpoises & climbs) but do a sharp turn to downwind & it will fall on its face & loose altitude until you regain airspeed. In steady state wind this doesn't apply.
This is my theory, I'm NOT saying I've tested or read it anywhere, just drawing from experience
Old 01-18-2014, 10:47 PM
BlueBus320

Thanks all for the entertainment tonight! Been stuck at ABQ airport for 7 hours trying to get home, reading & posting with you folks made it a lil more bearable.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:10 PM
RZielin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, I think I get why you misunderstand me. I'm talking about a lull BELOW prevailing wind speed. If prevailing wind speed is 15 kt, with 5 kt gusts, I'm saying that the wind speed goes up to 20 kt in a gust, and DOWN to 10 kt in a lull. This has to be the case. You can't have a gust above prevailing wind speed without having a nearby lull below prevailing wind speed. It's like waves on water. For every wave crest above sea level, there is a trough BELOW sea level.

If it's dead calm, you only get a bit of stirring of the air due to thermals. That's maybe 0-5 kt tops. To get real gusts like we're talking about, there has to be a prevailing wind that causes turbulence over land features, trees, buildings, mixed with the thermals too. I think thats the only way you could get a really gusty day like we're talking about.

So a lull is not just back to prevailing wind speed, a lull goes lower by the same amount on average that gusts go above prevailing. So do you now see why the upwind turn is just as treacherous as downwind on gusty days?

Last edited by RZielin; 01-19-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:54 PM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Airspeed is everything ground speed is nothing to a plane flying. Just look at the birds- they've been doing it far longer than we have, by millions of years. They always head into wind for gliding. Any bird of prey when hunting will hold station in the sky as it looks for a source of food will head into wind.
I suggest you read this
Old 01-19-2014, 07:29 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's consider a plane in a constant 60 degree bank while flying in a high steady wind, You will feel a constant 2G force throughout the turn. But the ground path is not a steady circle, A car following this ground path will not have a steady state G force but will increase as the paths turn sharpens and decreases, That is the G force is relative to the wind not the ground, so gusts in a turn has the same effect upwind as it does downwind.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 AM
fly4mation
My Feedback: (14)

Let me start by saying there are many people who have posted here that are more educated than me so Im just trying to understand what is being said and what I've experienced. I submit situations where both sides could be correct. Can we agree that ground speed is changed in transition from upwind to downwind in any substantial wind condition? My theory is that during that transition is where tha arguement is. If the turn is gradual enough there is no noticeable lost in lift similar to full scale scenarios. But if the turn is very abrupt there is a lag in which the airframe is adjusting to directional forces causing a momentary change in lift. I know people will say that groundspeed is irrelevant but in an abrupt turn groundspeed in not instantanious. There is a time period of adjustment for the airframe. Is that not a factor in this arguement?
Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

But if the turn is very abrupt there is a lag in which the airframe is adjusting to directional forces causing a momentary change in lift. I know people will say that groundspeed is irrelevant but in an abrupt turn groundspeed in not instantanious. There is a time period of adjustment for the airframe. Is that not a factor in this arguement?

No, Ground speed has no factor. Only the airspeed matters. Of course there is a moment of transition at the start of the turn, but it has the same effect upwind or downwind,

s
Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by fly4mation
Let me start by saying there are many people who have posted here that are more educated than me so Im just trying to understand what is being said and what I've experienced. I submit situations where both sides could be correct. Can we agree that ground speed is changed in transition from upwind to downwind in any substantial wind condition? My theory is that during that transition is where tha arguement is. If the turn is gradual enough there is no noticeable lost in lift similar to full scale scenarios. But if the turn is very abrupt there is a lag in which the airframe is adjusting to directional forces causing a momentary change in lift. I know people will say that groundspeed is irrelevant but in an abrupt turn groundspeed in not instantanious. There is a time period of adjustment for the airframe. Is that not a factor in this arguement?
Keep thinking-your on to something.
Once an a/c has broken ground, steady state winds have no effect on airspeed (hence, lift) whatsoever, and airspeed does not change simply because one is flying upwind, downwind, crosswind, or even when alternating between any combinations of the above. Period. That is the beginning, middle, and end of the story.

This is absolutely correct. There is no argument there.However there are others factors involved. It turns out ground speed does matter.
The earth is spinning on its axis. An airplane is traveling with the movement of the spinning earth. Its sort if like an object spinning around you and being held up by a rope and cylindrical force.. In the case of an airplane it is being held there by gravity in opposition to the lift provided by its wings. This gravity is referenced to the center of the earth.
The aircraft possesses what is defined as moment of inertia.
One of our great philosophers (Newton I think) defined moment of inertia as being equal to Mass times the radius squared.
When an aircraft changes from going up wind to downwind in relation to the ground its moment of inertia is changed. Since the mass is not changed,the only other place the aircraft can get the energy to change its MOI is from the radius. The result is a loss of altitude.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

Wow! I don't even know where to begin!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:31 PM
dirtybird

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Wow! I don't even know where to begin!
You could try here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia
Old 01-19-2014, 12:51 PM
RZielin

Originally Posted by dirtybird

One of our great philosophers (Newton I think) defined moment of inertia as being equal to Mass times the radius squared.
When an aircraft changes from going up wind to downwind in relation to the ground its moment of inertia is changed. Since the mass is not changed,the only other place the aircraft can get the energy to change its MOI is from the radius. The result is a loss of altitude.
Even if this is true, it would be equally true for upwind, crosswind and downwind turns. Still gives no support to the "downwind turn myth" which is truly a myth.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:25 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Deleted.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:43 PM
dirtybird

Originally Posted by RZielin
Even if this is true, it would be equally true for upwind, crosswind and downwind turns. Still gives no support to the "downwind turn myth" which is truly a myth.
If you don't believe this is true I would like to see your paper challenging the works of Newton and Einstein.
Of course its true whenever you change direction. It also depends on your turn in relation to the earths rotation. If you turn downwind in the direction of the earths rotation you will get more of a change than if you turn against the rotation direction
Old 01-19-2014, 03:10 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybird
Once an a/c has broken ground, steady state winds have no effect on airspeed (hence, lift) whatsoever, and airspeed does not change simply because one is flying upwind, downwind, crosswind, or even when alternating between any combinations of the above. Period. That is the beginning, middle, and end of the story.

This is absolutely correct. There is no argument there.However there are others factors involved. It turns out ground speed does matter.
The earth is spinning on its axis. An airplane is traveling with the movement of the spinning earth. Its sort if like an object spinning around you and being held up by a rope and cylindrical force.. In the case of an airplane it is being held there by gravity in opposition to the lift provided by its wings. This gravity is referenced to the center of the earth.
Exactly. The whole mass and momentum thing can be so tedious!

This is why I keep bumping into the western walls of my home as I walk about it, even as I have trouble reaching the eastern ones. I Made the mistake of jumping once whille too close to a wall on the west side and BAM! Lucky I didn't break something. Ever notice how loudly the tires on your car squeal when attempting to turn right while heading north? :-)

Sorry my man. I mean all of the above in the friendliest way, but you may want to re-examine your premise.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:19 PM
BaldEagel

Ah you did not take into account the factoid of living in the Souther hemisphere I keep bumping into the walls on the East side of my house and my tires squeal much louder when turning left while heading South?

Mike
Old 01-19-2014, 03:24 PM
highhorse

Darnit. SO sorry Mike, and you have my profound apologies. The inverted coriolis effect means that your toilets swirl backwards too, right?

Love your avatar, btw. Perfect for the situation :-)
Old 01-19-2014, 04:09 PM
DP01

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems to me that most of the misunderstanding stems from the fact that modellersare looking at the aircraft from a FIXED POINT. In a zero wind condition there is no difference in the appearance of the model’s performance. Given aheadwind, everything changes from the perspective of that fixed point.

As an example, when heading into wind in a climb, theaircraft appears to climb promptly. During the transition to downwind, theclimb appearance gradually lessens.Downwind the apparent climb lessenseven more fooling the brain into thinking the aircraft’s performance isdeteriorating. In reality the actual performance is identical. Visualy, not somuch…

The converse is true when turning upwind, the apparentperformance miraculously improves. But no one ever mentions that!

Gusts and microbursts clearly can and do have an effect if one isunlucky enough to be in a turn just as one chooses to arrive. Other than these occasions, have faith in phyisics!

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Illusions.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1959681  
Old 01-19-2014, 04:18 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Let's consider a plane in a constant 60 degree bank while flying in a high steady wind, You will feel a constant 2G force throughout the turn. But the ground path is not a steady circle, A car following this ground path will not have a steady state G force but will increase as the paths turn sharpens and decreases, That is the G force is relative to the wind not the ground, so gusts in a turn has the same effect upwind as it does downwind.
Actually…. The car WILL have a steady state g force,, IF the car follows the air crafts ground track exactly, AND replicates the air crafts ground speed exactly.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Geebeefanatic

Everyone arguing about this that doesn't understand an airplane has no !idea that it is windy please read the Book Stick and Rudder! And use telemetry. Bet you will find out your plane stalls at the same airspeed(zero G's) everytime no matter what direction its flying.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by roger.alli
Actually…. The car WILL have a steady state g force,, IF the car follows the air crafts ground track exactly, AND replicates the air crafts ground speed exactly.
Correct, but it will not have a steady speed, and the airplane will have a constan air speed. So the difference remains the same,.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:27 PM
Sport_Pilot

It also depends on your turn in relation to the earths rotation.
You forgot about the moon! Fly during the full moon will decrease your stall speed. This is caused by the tidal pull of the moon!
Old 01-20-2014, 01:23 AM
BaldEagel

Originally Posted by highhorse
Darnit. SO sorry Mike, and you have my profound apologies. The inverted coriolis effect means that your toilets swirl backwards too, right?

Love your avatar, btw. Perfect for the situation :-)
I never look down my toilet, LOL

The Avatar is perfect as you say.

MIke
Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 PM
highhorse

Hey all you true believers in the Myth:

Several professional pilots in addition to myself have described our real-life experiences to you which completely dispel the Myth (as opposed to the seemingly never ending stream of "thought experiments" which supposedly "prove" it's validity) and we've repeatedly pointed out that if the Myth were a real phenomenon we'd be dead many times over, having lost airspeed when there was none to lose and then crashed.

Several of you have countered with "...but a slow and lightweight (name the plane) would have fallen out of the sky when turned down wind because (whatever theory)"

Today I took my new Christmas toy - a UMX P-40 - up for the first time. This little wonder weighs 1.6oz. (That's right, one-point-six OUNCES) and at nearly full power was hovering in front of me in a stiff head wind nearly equal to the little P-40's max speed. If any airplane ever were going to fallout of the sky for having made a turn to down wind, then this would be the airplane and the occasion.

So what happened when I rolled into a nearly vertical bank and reversed direction 180 degrees from a hover to a tailwind in under a second? Did this micro-light and under-powered little gem fall to earth right then and there for having been instantaneously starved of airspeed and lift? Nope. In fact, it didn't lose even an inch of altitude.

This little thing doesn't have any power to spare, and can barely do a loop from level flight. Did it fall out of the sky for lack of airflow over the controls at the top of a loop when at the top of that loop the nose was pointed downwind? Did it perform better at the top if the loop when it was initially entered from downwind? Nah. No difference. None. Zero.

Game over. Thanks for playing.

Hopefully this thread will hibernate again for a long time.

Good night,
Don.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:25 AM
BlueBus320

Edi

Last edited by BlueBus320; 01-21-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:07 AM
RZielin

Aaaarrggh,
Blue Bus, you're not listening. You keep bringing up gusty conditions which have NOTHING to do with the "downwind turn myth". The fact that you think gusts are relevant demonstrates that you don't even get the gist of what the "downwind turn myth" is. None the less, whiteout understanding what it's even about, you SEEM to believe the myth is true. Pretty confused.

I have, against my better judgement, engaged you on the gusty topic, which is a whole different scenario, and you also fail to discern my point on those posts either. You misunderstand what a "gust" is and how air currents move. The "gusty" scenario is interesting and valid and something that must be understood in order to be a good pilot. But it IS separate from the Downwind Turn in STEADY wind scenario which HighHorse was just referring to. You must understand the theory and reality of the steady wind scenario before you can understand the more complex situation where gusts are superimposed on it. You understand neither.

When someone makes a clear point, you jump into a different scenario to dispel it, which is not very logical nor intellectually honest. I must question you motives. Honestly, I can't see how someone with your mind set gets to be an instructor. Please go back to the start of this thread and read it through before you rehash stuff that was thoroughly debunked 30 pages ago. And remember, EVERYTHING that HighHorse and I have said in this thread is carefully worded and iron clad true. NOBODY has shown any credible evidence to the contrary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.