Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Downwind turn Myth

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Downwind turn Myth

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybird
With onboard telemetry available now on models for airspeed and altitude I would think it would be possible to get numbers that would show what is going on with the model rather than having to interpret from a distance on the ground.

Jaybird
Quoting my own post from January of last year:

I've already done exactly this! I fly UAV's for a living. By nature they navigate via GPS waypoints (ground reference manuvers!) and are very highly instrumented! When turning downwind to final, or upwind to downwind, (our wind limits are 35 kts, which I've flown in many times) there is no change in IAS, ground speed changes of course, but not indicated. Your argument has no credibility. I have telemetry files to back it up.

Once again you are not grasping the issue at hand here, microbursts are NOT steady state wind, which is what this thread is about.

Last edited by Lownverted; 09-09-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:38 AM
chip_MG
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaybird Yes the angle of attack has most to do with the creation of lift.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:41 AM
JackD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lownverted
This makes zero sense.

I'm still completely mystified as to why folks choose to believe there is a "downwind turn" problem when it can be proven over and over again that it doesn't exist. Once you leave the ground THE AIRCRAFT DOESN'T KNOW, OR CARE ABOUT ANY WIND. Its simply a perception issue with you being stationary on the ground, controlling a vehicle flying within a moving air mass, and its speed relative to you.

Seriously, do you think all of the aerodynamic academia have it wrong, but you with your R/C plane know something everyone else missed? I think not, and its the height of arrogance to think so.

Interestingly enough there is a documented effect about people like this. Its called the Dunning-Kruger effect. In short, unskilled people tend to over estimate their abilities and knowledge, while those skilled people tend to under estimate theirs. I see many examples of that in this thread lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect
Lowinverted, I'm with you, but I wish it were just the RC pilots... but there are full scale pilots here with the same lack of knowledge (some are even instructors!!!!).
I know that understanding that momentum is relative to the frame of reference when the frame of reference is moving at constant speed is hard... but the stubbornness to learn something different from your own preconceptions is incredible...

I wonder if they also think that when are walking east to west and swithch to west to east you need to compensate for the rotation of the earth ... Actually, imagine that on a bicycle, you would lose your balance (again.. maybe too profound haha)

I give up... But thanks for bringing some fun back to RCU by digging this thread hahaha....
Old 09-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Lownverted

Originally Posted by JackD
Lowinverted, I'm with you, but I wish it were just the RC pilots... but there are full scale pilots here with the same lack of knowledge (some are even instructors!!!!).
I know that understanding that momentum is relative to the frame of reference when the frame of reference is moving at constant speed is hard... but the stubbornness to learn something different from your own preconceptions is incredible...

I wonder if they also think that when are walking east to west and swithch to west to east you need to compensate for the rotation of the earth ... Actually, imagine that on a bicycle, you would lose your balance (again.. maybe too profound haha)

I give up... But thanks for bringing some fun back to RCU by digging this thread hahaha....
Thanks Jack...see you at BITW?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:49 AM
JackD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lownverted
thanks jack...see you at bitw?
absolutely!!!!!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:55 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two scenarios: steady state wind and non-steady state wind. There is also the issue of inertia (or lack thereof) and acceleration.

If you are flying at 40 knots into a 40 knot headwind your indicated airspeed is 40 knots. Your groundspeed is zero. If the headwind instantaneously drops to zero what's your groundspeed? Zero. What's your airspeed? Exactly zero until the aircraft accelerates back to 40. In that scenario, the aircraft would stall.

This is why windshear is so dangerous. Airbus aircraft have a feature call "Groundspeed Mini" precisely to mitigate this threat. The Flight Management System will calculate a minimum groundspeed and increase the target approach speed as necessary on final to maintain that minimum groundspeed. This avoids a potentially low energy situation on final in the event of a sudden loss of headwind. GS mini is calculated so that in the event of a sudden loss of headwind, as in a windshear scenario, the aircraft will always be at a safe margin above stall.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:56 AM
chip_MG

The other day I was watching a TV program called "Air Disasters ". It told of a airline pilot with 156 people aboard crashing a commercial airliner, killing all aboard including themselves. NTSB via the black boxes found the P.I.C. stalled the plane all the way to the ground from 33000 feet to the ground , he held full back press on the control column all the way from 33000 feet to the ground as shown by the black box info.
Hows that for a qualified pilot for ya. Allot of misunderstanding all around about flight just not my guy's who fly models.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Jaybird

I've already done exactly this! I fly UAV's for a living. By nature they navigate via GPS waypoints (ground reference manuvers!) and are very highly instrumented! When turning downwind to final, or upwind to downwind, (our wind limits are 35 kts, which I've flown in many times) there is no change in IAS, ground speed changes of course, but not indicated. Your argument has no credibility. I have telemetry files to back it up.

Once again you are not grasping the issue at hand here, microbursts are NOT steady state wind, which is what this thread is about.
I'm not arguing with you, I agree with you. I didn't mention microbursts though, so I assume that may have been intended for other contributors.

Jaybird
Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Lownverted

Originally Posted by Jaybird
I'm not arguing with you, I agree with you. I didn't mention microbursts though, so I assume that may have been intended for other contributors.

Jaybird

Jay we're all good, I'm agreeing with you too. I just quoted you to show that what you suggested had already been done.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Jaybird

Got it!

Jaybird
Old 09-09-2015, 11:01 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Hay Chip-mg

What you posted about falling from 33k may be true, but there were a lot of other problem factors involved in that aircraft that you did not post, and the NTSB may NOT have given all the facts in there public communication.

Just saying post ALL of the facts

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-09-2015, 12:44 PM
chip_MG

Thats what the program stated the NTSB concluded in their findings was pilot error due to him hold full back pressure. It started because of the plane was too heavy once it got to its altitude was above its ceiling for the weight. So the pilot applied back pressure which he never released, but held it into a stalled condition all the way to the ground.
are you awear of the fight yourself??
Old 09-09-2015, 01:33 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Interestingly enough there is a documented effect about people like this. Its called the Dunning-Kruger effect. In short, unskilled people tend to over estimate their abilities and knowledge, while those skilled people tend to under estimate theirs. I see many examples of that in this thread lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect
Interesting link. For me, these threads are a study in human psychology, or communications or something. Something about a counter-intuitive reality (airspeed vs groundspeed in this case) can generate such a back and forth. There is something inherent in the question and the basic counter-inuitive explanation that creates such a rich breeding ground for outrageous posts.

FWIW, in my experience, misjudgment of ground TRACK in the landing pattern (in a base leg cross wind favoring the rear of the model) causes many problems. The model needs more bank (and therefore more elevator and AoA) to establish proper ground track on final and poof.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:49 PM
KC Air

Originally Posted by chip_MG
The other day I was watching a TV program called "Air Disasters ". It told of a airline pilot with 156 people aboard crashing a commercial airliner, killing all aboard including themselves. NTSB via the black boxes found the P.I.C. stalled the plane all the way to the ground from 33000 feet to the ground , he held full back press on the control column all the way from 33000 feet to the ground as shown by the black box info.
Hows that for a qualified pilot for ya. Allot of misunderstanding all around about flight just not my guy's who fly models.
Panic mode at 33,000 ft! The explanation I heard for JFK Jr's plane was a similar tale of panic. He became disoriented from the horizon, and was flying banked. As he lost altitude, he pulled back on the yoke, which we all know creates a death spiral in that orientation. Imagine being his passenger, and seeing that he was clueless as you plummet towards the drink. The terror had to show on his face when he pulled back and lost altitude even faster. He probably thought there was something wrong with his plane because he was scared and not thinking clearly.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:51 PM
chip_MG

If wind speed makes not difference then why do all full scale aircraft manuals state a maximum cross wind component, meaning it's not safe to fly at all if winds are higher?
Old 09-09-2015, 02:10 PM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by chip_MG
If wind speed makes not difference then why do all full scale aircraft manuals state a maximum cross wind component, meaning it's not safe to fly at all if winds are higher?
Probably has to do with the strength of the landing gear. Groundspeed = airspeed right at landing....If the crosswind is high enough, the required groundspeed (and or crab angle) would be too high for the gear at some point. I am sure a professional pilot can explain it.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:17 PM
drac1

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Probably has to do with the strength of the landing gear. Groundspeed = airspeed right at landing....If the crosswind is high enough, the required groundspeed (and or crab angle) would be too high for the gear at some point. I am sure a professional pilot can explain it.
In a cross wind landing, the pilot will kick the rudder just before touch down to straighten the aircraft to prevent side loading on the gear.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:19 PM
drac1

If wind has no effect on the aircraft, why does everyone, (full scale and models), take off and land into the wind?
Old 09-09-2015, 02:24 PM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by drac1
In a cross wind landing, the pilot will kick the rudder just before touch down to straighten the aircraft to prevent side loading on the gear.

Maybe not side load but ground speed limit, or tire limit, or the rudder authority available.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:25 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

The process of a turn is also not steady state wind. Your quads are very highly manueverable and are not at all representive of a winged aircraft.
BTW, show the tlemetry plots! Prove it.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:25 PM
mr_matt

If wind has no effect on the aircraft, why does everyone, (full scale and models), take off and land into the wind?
Lower ground speed and needs less runway
Old 09-09-2015, 02:27 PM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by rgburrill
The process of a turn is also not steady state wind. Your quads are very highly manueverable and are not at all representive of a winged aircraft.
BTW, show the tlemetry plots! Prove it.
I am pretty sure he is not flying a quad!
Old 09-09-2015, 02:40 PM
drac1

Maybe not side load but ground speed limit, or tire limit, or the rudder authority available.
It was a general comment about cross wind landings. Of course there is a limit for cross wind landings.

At the correct landing speed, the tires would hold up OK, but rudder authority would be compromised at some point.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:42 PM
drac1

Lower ground speed and needs less runway
Exactly Matt.

That's my point. Wind does affect aircraft, although there are comments that say it doesn't.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:00 PM
mr_matt

Exactly Matt.

That's my point. Wind does affect aircraft, although there are comments that say it doesn't.
HUH? ALL of the comments say that windspeed affects aircraft groundspeed. You are saying the same thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.