Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

AVONDS F-15

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AVONDS F-15

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 PM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVONDS F-15

I just got this jet from a friend!! Im going to fly it DF for now but plan to convert to turbine. Would love to hear from anyone flying this jet and anyone that has converted the old Avonds F-15 kit to turbine, what turbine they went with and any pointers i need to know. Thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Stobe777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: AVONDS F-15

It flies extremely well and needs not a lot of runway. You can buy a turbine conversion set from Philippe at avonds.com. He is a very nice person to deal with.
Good looking Eagle!

Tuomas

Old 11-26-2010, 12:19 AM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Why not convert it to EDF? You already the fan. Get a Scorpion motor and a CC 160HV ESC and you are just about done.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Vinceyboy

Hi, Cracking model, I have four of these superb models that I have bought, one was a DF version ready to go but I decided to rip out all the old DF stuff to convert to turbine as she is a lovely airframe with a superb sports colour scheme. I was told by a friend that you only need to beef up the landing gear formers, and of course fit the heavier duty retracts and oleo's, plus you need the bifurcated pipe and bypass.

The other three I have are turbine models, two that both need refurbing, and the fourth was a damaged nose one I bought off a friend as spares. (or repair)

hope you have great fun with it, I know I'm looking forward to getting one of mine airborne next year.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Minch

I am currently flying a D/F converted Avonds F-15, I bought the conversion kit from Philip Avonds after speaking to him on the phone re the conversion. Mine is fitted with a Jetcat 120 and it's is fantastic, the only thing that you have to be careful of is doing high G turns at full power. The reason being is that D/F wings if built as per instructions have a piece of glass cloth top and bottom under the wing sheeting over the wing spar area, a "proper" turbine version kit has carbon fibre in this area and is stronger. I have never heard of any wing failure in this area on D/F or converted D/F F-15's, this was just a comment from Philip to be aware of it.

I added some carbon fibre sheet to my fuzz for piece of mind in the following area's

1) From just behind the hatch to rear of fuzz (full width of fuzz top))
2) From just in front of the main gear opening to the rear of the fuzz (bottom)
3) Around the the nose wheel opening
4) A 2" strip around the join of the nose section to the main fuzz

These are probably not necessary but I did this when I was first getting in to turbines and thought it needed to be strengthened.

The extra reinforcement hasn't really added alot to the weight of the model, it weighs 21 lbs dry

Picture Of Mine

Old 11-27-2010, 04:46 AM
Vinceyboy

Hi Minch, I like your colour scheme, better than the all gray versions as it has a bit of colour to help it stand out in the air.

One of mine is an all gray turbine version, that I've got to refurbish as the paint work is flaking in places but would like to change that one to one that has a more visual scheme but still military, unfortunately most of the US military schemes are all gray, or different shades of, so will have to scan the online archives.

The white version I have I am going to go for the anniversary scheme as I think that is really cool.
My friend in Scotland has a cracking thirteen year old one with this scheme but with the Eagle's head, with it's claws tearing through the American flag, an absolutely stunning piece of airbrush work, it looks like a decal.

PS I'll have to get him to post a photo.

PS Just enlarged your photo and noted the signature, just didn't recognise your RC signature, "Hello Laurie"
Old 11-27-2010, 05:02 AM
Minch

Vinceyboy,

Would you be speaking of one Ron Burnett, if so his f-15 has a stunning paint job. I have met and chatted to Ron on many occasions at various shows around the country, a lovely guy. When I first saw his f-15 he let me look it over thoroughly and answered many of my questions on the f-15 as I was about to start my conversion.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:55 AM
Vinceyboy

Ha, Ha, yes your dead correct Laurie, I was actually talking to Ron on Skype when you put that last posting on, which he also read and was dead chuffed!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Minch

Vinceyboy,

I'm not Laurie, he just took the photos of my plane at the Merryfield jet meet this summer.

Regards

Nick
Old 11-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Vinceyboy

Sorry Nick, know who you are now[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 11-27-2010, 11:00 AM
mistermnkim

Minch very nice eagle!! i plan to make a few repairs and repaint mine this winter. Not sure what scheme i want to go with yet, you guys have any suggestions?
Old 11-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Vinceyboy

How about this:

Old 11-27-2010, 11:49 AM
mistermnkim

Vboy that is very cool!!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:58 PM
mistermnkim

can i get parts for my avonds f-15 in the states?
Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jet Hanga Hobbies sells his kits if I remember correctly
Old 12-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Wideopen
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys, can someone tell me where the CG is located on this Jet. I just got one that is nearly completed but it does not state were the CG is located. Also I would like to know where the elevators should be when in the neutral position. Pictures would be good. I do have the turbine version with a jetcat P120.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Minch

I am currently flying a D/F converted Avonds F-15, I bought the conversion kit from Philip Avonds after speaking to him on the phone re the conversion. Mine is fitted with a Jetcat 120 and it's is fantastic, the only thing that you have to be careful of is doing high G turns at full power. The reason being is that D/F wings if built as per instructions have a piece of glass cloth top and bottom under the wing sheeting over the wing spar area, a ''proper'' turbine version kit has carbon fibre in this area and is stronger. I have never heard of any wing failure in this area on D/F or converted D/F F-15's, this was just a comment from Philip to be aware of it.

I added some carbon fibre sheet to my fuzz for piece of mind in the following area's

1) From just behind the hatch to rear of fuzz (full width of fuzz top))
2) From just in front of the main gear opening to the rear of the fuzz (bottom)
3) Around the the nose wheel opening
4) A 2'' strip around the join of the nose section to the main fuzz

These are probably not necessary but I did this when I was first getting in to turbines and thought it needed to be strengthened.

The extra reinforcement hasn't really added alot to the weight of the model, it weighs 21 lbs dry

Picture Of Mine

Wow,

So much law enforcement involvement in jets over there?? Sounds like a police state....

Old 12-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Mark Basel
My Feedback: (24)

100 MM forward from the front edge of the F-4 bulkhead.

mb

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21501.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	1532384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50477.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	1532385