Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM Aeropoxy question?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM Aeropoxy question?

Old 12-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BVM Aeropoxy question?

Quick question about BVM Aeropoxy. Is Aeropoxy pretty much the same stuff as Hysol 9462 and is QPoxy pretty much the same as Hysol E-00NS?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 12-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BVM Aeropoxy question?

Hi,

Yes for sure to the first, but I'd love to know the answer to the second...
Old 12-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Q-poxy is Hysol E-05CL. E-00NS is the thicker, no drip version. I am going to order some of the E-00NS to try, the Q-poxy is terrific stuff, the thicker version should be even better.
Vin...
Old 12-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Shaun Evans

Vin,

What's V-poxy?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Vin,

What's V-poxy?
Cures clear, just as strong as Aeropoxy, but cures in half the time.
Check it out on our website.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:30 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Vin,

What's V-poxy?
Hysol E-20HP
Old 12-13-2010, 04:41 AM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

You can get all those adhesives at McMaster Carr for a very in expensive price. http://www.mcmaster.com/
They have everything you might need
Old 12-13-2010, 06:15 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I am using mostly 9462 ( stays slightly flexible and slow to cure, perfect for gluing formers in a fuse when you need time ), E-20NS ( cures very hard, 20 min potlife, non sag, used for most of the general gluing ), E-20 HP ( flows in cavities, transparent, 20 min potlife, perfect for gluing hinges, control horns, anything that goes in a thin slot ).

Be very careful with 9462. 90% of the tubes have air bubbles that will completely screw up your mixing. Systematically put new tubes in the oven at 60°c/140°F for 1 hour and then centrifugate them with your harm, head facing toward the center of rotation, so that the air bubbles moves up to the tube's head. Then store all the 9462 tubes head up. When you open up a new tube, first squeeze it without any tip on until both components flow equally. That might take up to 2 inches of glue...
Old 12-13-2010, 06:28 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy the stuff from BV... I know guys that buy the Hysol brand and its the same price. We all know it's the same glue, so why not buy it from and support a RC vendor.... No air bubbles yet !!!!

Dan M.
Austin,Tx.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:40 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: olnico

I am using mostly 9462 ( stays slightly flexible and slow to cure, perfect for gluing formers in a fuse when you need time ), E-20NS ( cures very hard, 20 min potlife, non sag, used for most of the general gluing ), E-20 HP ( flows in cavities, transparent, 20 min potlife, perfect for gluing hinges, control horns, anything that goes in a thin slot ).

Be very careful with 9462. 90% of the tubes have air bubbles that will completely screw up your mixing. Systematically put new tubes in the oven at 60°c/140°F for 1 hour and then centrifugate them with your harm, head facing toward the center of rotation, so that the air bubbles moves up to the tube's head. Then store all the 9462 tubes head up. When you open up a new tube, first squeeze it without any tip on until both components flow equally. That might take up to 2 inches of glue...
I've noticed the same stuff with 9460F.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

I've been using the Hysol 9462 where construction calls for epoxy. Titebond and CA elsewhere. West Systems now offers a "thickened" epoxy which is very cost attractive. 190 ml for $18. I bought a tube to try in a future build. Has anyone else purchased and used this stuff?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Dustin Buescher

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

Just buy the stuff from BV... I know guys that buy the Hysol brand and its the same price. We all know it's the same glue, so why not buy it from and support a RC vendor.... No air bubbles yet !!!!

Dan M.
Austin,Tx.
Thanks Dan, my family appreciates this. I'm sure the other families at Bvm feel the same.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

anybody knows if the Hysol 3423 in EU is the same stuff as Hysol 9462 in US?

i know there's an equivalent but not sure of the no.

thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dan M.
Austin,Tx.
I would but it's cheaper thru McMastercarr for me and i can go pick it up with out having to wait a week for UPS to deliver it to me. Plus there's no shipping fee. I do buy quite a bit of other stuff thru BVM so i do support my RC Vendor.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Shaun Evans

Just buy the stuff from BV... and support a RC vendor....

Dan M.
Austin,Tx.

Every time I start to, that whole "wiggers on BET" thing keeps staying my hand.....
Just ordered six tubes from McMaster.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Not to rub it in, but my neighbor knocked on my door just now and handed me my box from McMaster's. He said it showed up at 3pm, and the UPS guy gave it to him when I didn't answer the door. That's just under 24 hours after I ordered the Hysol.

Ya can't beat dat wit a bat.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I use the West 610 stuff at work and at home sometimes. It uses a regular caulking gun for dispencing but a lot is used up in the very large mixing tips. I just squeeze it out and mix it up when I need pre thickend glue, not as strong as the BVM stuff but flows when you are bagging carbon over foam into voids and is the same as West Systems just already thickend. For High strengh stuff I still use the BVM epoxies.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Square Nozzle

Thanks Ron. I agree that the nozzle is very large and I do not plan to use it. I'll mix on one of the soft plastic container covers that my wife saves for me from her lunch. It's good to know that 610 has strength limitations and I'll use it along with Hysol as the situation dictates..
Old 12-16-2010, 05:58 AM
DavidR

Dan M.
Austin,Tx.

Every time I start to, that whole ''wiggers on BET'' thing keeps staying my hand.....
Shaun,

Not to kick a dead horse but same could be said about one of your comments in another thread. No double standards here! FWIW I used to buy the hysol from McMaster Carr as well, but it is just as easy to order from BVM.

DR
Old 12-16-2010, 07:38 AM
AndyAndrews

I liked Vpoxy, wish I could use it. Makes me deathly ill though just after a few breaths of the vapor it leaves.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:22 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy,
Same deal with me and the tolerance to many epoxy and epoxy type paints and glues. Took a long time in my younger days for my body to tell me I was a dumb A** for not using a resperator. So now I use a resperator and a well vented room when I use any of these compounds. Seems to work for now. But the real story here kids is to follow the instructions and take the recommended precautions when using this stuff. The effects of many of these compounds on your body are cumulative and can really put a dent in your enjoyment of the hobby.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: DavidR

Dan M.
Austin,Tx.

Every time I start to, that whole ''wiggers on BET'' thing keeps staying my hand.....
Shaun,

Not to kick a dead horse but same could be said about one of your comments in another thread. No double standards here! FWIW I used to buy the hysol from McMaster Carr as well, but it is just as easy to order from BVM.

DR

Ha!

You done reading that novel yet? That was the short version, too. Anyway, since the horse ain't quite dead, I don't think it's the same thing. In one case, I overreacted to what I perceived as as an unprovoked personal attack. I imagine if I had gone all racial with it, Charles would have dropped me like a hot rock....especially if I already had a long history of embarrassing schoolyard antics on here including flaming people from behind fake RCU identities. Even if I do occasionally get to fisticuffs in here with people, I at least try to occasionally be a good rep and help fellow modelers with information from time to time. I can't remember seeing much of that from Justin (unless the fellow modelers needed help with which network to avoid if they don't want to see "wiggers")...
Old 12-16-2010, 08:47 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: sailing1

Andy,
Same deal with me and the tolerance to many epoxy and epoxy type paints and glues. Took a long time in my younger days for my body to tell me I was a dumb A** for not using a resperator. So now I use a resperator and a well vented room when I use any of these compounds. Seems to work for now. But the real story here kids is to follow the instructions and take the recommended precautions when using this stuff. The effects of many of these compounds on your body are cumulative and can really put a dent in your enjoyment of the hobby.
yeah, I have never had any respiratory problems at all. After using vpoxy for a few months, one day, my nose and eyes started watering just after using it. The next night I started coughing and couldn't quit. Not knowing what was causing all of this I got back to the shop a few days later and started working again. Immediately after applying some glue on a part the same thing started to happen. That same night I almost had to go the the ER because I couldn't breath. Had to go to the doctor next morning and get some ADVAR (stuff used for asthma patients) to get my respiratory track working again..

I'll never use that stuff again.. Its strange that I haven't had the problem with other epoxy. Oh, and I tried a respirator, that didn't work. Maybe I was using the wrong type.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Shaun Evans

Andy,

Was there any irritation with the eye-watering? I'm asking because I've noticed that my eyes itch and sting in the morning after working with these glues.