Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Buying precautions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Buying precautions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 03:54 PM
luckyy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying precautions

Just curious what precautions, should I take when buying a jet out of state. As far as sending money to a person, that you dont know and only has a 1 year history with RCU, and limited posts. Im sending $5000 in a check. Any ideas before I send this money would be appreciated.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:14 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Buying precautions

Try verifying about the seller's reputation through local pilots, many of whom you should be able to find here.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:22 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Honestly, I would ask in the forum if anyone knows the seller. Get some feedback from people that personally know the person. As a Seller I've done this when it's a buyer I don't know and have never heard of. If the other person is seriously offended by your precautions, you may not want to do business with them anyway. I am never offended by another person asking about me in the forums.
When it's high dollar transactions, I always want to be sure!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:03 PM
luckyy

The sellers name is David Schwantz (hershybar) on rcu . Im buying the Lightning thats for sale here. Lives in MN. Anyone Knows of him or the jet? Thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 05:23 PM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

David is a totally straight up guy. AND an awesome painter. I have had multiple conversations with him on either building or purchasing an airplane from him (full disclosure, i did not make the purchase but that was from my end totally). super nice guy to boot.

my .02
Old 12-22-2010, 05:39 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Bill,

If Joe says the guy is OK...you can take it to the bank.

Boli

ORIGINAL: JoeEagle

David is a totally straight up guy. AND an awesome painter. I have had multiple conversations with him on either building or purchasing an airplane from him (full disclosure, i did not make the purchase but that was from my end totally). super nice guy to boot.

my .02
Old 12-22-2010, 06:08 PM
luckyy

Thanks guys for the info, I feel ok to send now
Old 12-22-2010, 07:22 PM
JoeEagle

yikes Beav.....what if its David Schwantz's evil twin brother and is not a good human anymore.

did you all see the cover of Jet International with the Spidery Paint Scheme? that's David's work.

if you google David a bunch of BVM builds come up.

good luck
please let us know how it works out
Old 12-22-2010, 08:01 PM
SinCityJets

To me, RCU involvement is PARAMOUNT. If a (respected) member vouches for someone, that's good enough for me. If they have limited to no involvement, and no one knows them.....keep looking.

Chad
Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 PM
ddlstang

Another note, ALWAYS get insurance. Make sure you have a declared value and insured. I have a crushed Ultra Lightning in my garage that is'nt worth squat because the seller/shipper failed to declare the value.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:38 AM
JoeEagle

ok

so here is a tangential question. I am buying a plane from someone in Florida-i'm still trying to figure out transpo back to the midwest-i don't want to have crated and shipped.

we are both looking into folks coming from the Chicago area to Florida Jets and then back to Chicago with my plane in their trailer.

now i am wondering out loud-how would one insure that?

i wish I was going to FL Jets!!!

joe
Old 12-23-2010, 11:39 AM
ddlstang

In that type of instance it MAY be covered under your home owners policy, Maybe.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:17 PM
luckyy

ORIGINAL: JoeEagle

my .02
Joe I know your a good guy. Also I know that you didnt know this guy is a crook. He got me for 5200 trying my best to put him in jail
Old 01-02-2011, 06:54 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is why I like to use paypal...the insurance and their oversight to make sure the deal is smooth...it costs but is safe.

I got burned on a $3200 certified check from the US. There is a new scam going. Open an account. Get a certified check. Close the account before the buyer can cash. As a buyer, I get the check..it said certified...I cashed it....waited two weeks...everything seemed OK...then send the goods.....2 weeks later...my bank tells me that the account was closed between when I deposited and they received it at the original branch...so I am out the cash...

Dave
Old 01-02-2011, 07:05 PM
mshay
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: luckyy

Just curious what precautions, should I take when buying a jet out of state. As far as sending money to a person, that you dont know and only has a 1 year history with RCU, and limited posts. Im sending $5000 in a check. Any ideas before I send this money would be appreciated.
just dont do it. if your nervous about sending that kind of money then just buy a bird thats near you. i tried to buy a turbine off a guy from alaska but i wanted him to ship the turbine when i shipped the money to him, i told him i would take pictures on my cell phone and send him to him the second i sent the money order to him, but he didnt want to ship at the same time, he had a big problem with it. and i also had a big problem with sending 2000 bucks to him not knowing for sure if i was going to get ripped off.

needless to say i still dont have a turbine, but like i said i didnt feel good about how he wanted to work the deal so i told him to p!$s off.

if you can spend 5000 bucks for a plane then you should be able to spend a few hundred to drive and pick it up, just my thoughts.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:13 PM
LGM Graphix

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: dw_crash

That is why I like to use paypal...the insurance and their oversight to make sure the deal is smooth...it costs but is safe.

I got burned on a $3200 certified check from the US. There is a new scam going. Open an account. Get a certified check. Close the account before the buyer can cash. As a buyer, I get the check..it said certified...I cashed it....waited two weeks...everything seemed OK...then send the goods.....2 weeks later...my bank tells me that the account was closed between when I deposited and they received it at the original branch...so I am out the cash...

Dave

Then what's the point of a certified check? Anytime I've sent a certified check, it is certified at the BANK, funds are removed from my account when the check is made out, I could close the account seconds after that but the money for the check is still there and legit.
Paypal is convenient, and I use it regularly, but it's far from safe, it's probably one of the easiest ways to get screwed that's out there.
I just do my best to not buy stuff from people I don't know or that aren't regulars on the forums. If they are a total stranger then nothing gets shipped until whatever it is has cleared. Again, that one's tough because a certified check or money order means that the funds for that particular check are secured, closing the account should have no bearing on whether you get the funds or not.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 PM
dw_crash

Jeremy,

You'd think a certified check means the funds are secure....but that is Canadian banking rules. The guy that ripped me off was in Texas. Seems certified there means that the funds were in the account at the time the check was issued. that's all... So there is a window to send the check then close the account.

I talked to my bank about this. They told me this is the latest internet scam going. They were getting dozens of these happening each week. There are loop holes in the banking rules in some US states that allow this scam to occur.

Seems only CASH can be trusted....then again....with printers these days.

Dave
Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup,

For high-dollar stuff, it's all about references. Believe me, before I vouch for someone, I think twice. If I "think" they're OK, that's what I tell the person asking. I get asked all the time. I've sold people stuff and had them call two or three people to verify me, even though they know who I am (as far as Y/A) and have seen me around here and at events for YEARS. That's just smart business, especially when you're far away.

I always get a kick out of the RCU mob scene that develops when someone outs a crook. I bought a Moki 2.1 off Ebay a couple of years ago and had a problem. The seller listed it as "New In Box", so I didn't read the rest (I figured, what do I need to know that I don't know from the item condition?). Well, in the details, he mentioned that it was bench run once. Like I said, I didn't read that far as I thought I knew what "New In Box" meant. Well, the engine showed up, and it looked like it had been dipped in syrup. It had tool marks all over it, and RTV smeared all over the port. The fins were discolored and had carmelized oil on them. All that from one bench run...

If I had a dollar for every RCU member (brand new and long-time) that came in and bashed me, I could have bought the engine brand new from Hobby Shack. Granted 9 out of 10 of the ones bashing me were all from the same town, but it still burned me up to have so many people treating me like the bad guy. Ultimately, Paypal sided with me and reversed the charge.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:59 PM
mshay
My Feedback: (3)

i think you asked this to late, you have a thread started on this guy but your question comes to late for the disaster your in.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mshay,

Check the date on the original post. He asked before he sent the check.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Ron101

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As stated above a money order, certified check or cashers check mean nothing
they can all have a stop payment place on them or shut down the account.

I went to wire transfers or US post office checks that can't have a stop payment placed....
The wire transfers can cost the buyer a good amount but at least I don't get bit... I walk out with cash in hand and go ship the item

I hate scammers.... they should have to meet up with some guys in the dark with bats...
couple lumps on the head might do them some good
Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 AM
dw_crash

Gents,

Then, there are KNOWN unreliable people floating around out there. And, newbies don't find out till it is too late.

I wish that there was a forum where you could list bad 'sellers' and why it was bad. You would have to post emails and other documents to support your claim.

For online daters, there is such a site Stop-scammer.com.....Why can't RC have a site? Maybe a few people would either clean-up their act or be put out of business....Nay....Tigers never change their stripes!!

Dave
Old 01-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Try verifying about the seller's reputation through local pilots, many of whom you should be able to find here.

Find at least 3 pilots who actually bought stuff, of serious money, from the seller.
Any seller with no ratings on RCU I pass on unless I can pick it up.

I just saw a Jetcat P200 on ebarf...
The seller claims he bought it in 1995 for a "modified powered paraglider" but has no paperwork.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:24 PM
richie5150

I HOPE EVERYTHING WORKS OUT FOR YOU
Old 01-03-2011, 03:40 PM
richie5150

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT GUY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.