Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Flyers in New Zealand

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Flyers in New Zealand

Old 01-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Ian Burridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Flyers in New Zealand

Hi,
I am coming out to Thames in North Island later this year and wondered if there are any jet pilots/clubs within a reasonable distance?
Thanks,
Ian.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM
zl1wn

Default RE: Jet Flyers in New Zealand

Ian,
It depends what you mean by a reasonable distance, I suspect that here in NZ we are used to driving further than you might in the UK.
Yes there are a number of jet flyers, and the nearest spot for flying from Thames would be Tokoroa airfield, nice and long, no noise problems, and a sealed runway.

When do you expect to come to NZ

Regards
Ross
Old 01-11-2011, 04:28 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ian,

I will chime in here (even though I now live in Oz, having moved here 3 years ago). I still spend a bit of time in NZ, and travel across once a year just to fly jets..

Ross is correct, Tokoroa is a fantastic site for jet flying, and is where most of the action in the upper North Island happens. The drive from Thames to Tokoroa would take you a bit less then 2 hours. The NZJMA has regular weekend flying there one weekend per month during our summer, and the local club fly props there every weekend.

Go to http://www.nzjma.com/index.htm for further details. There is a calendar there as well as contact info. The kiwis are a great bunch, and will make you very welcome. Make contact with them via the site, and they will tell you everthing you need to know.

If you are going to be there in Feb, the Annual Trans Tasman Jet meeting is on 18,19,20 Feb, and is easily the biggest meet in NZ. (although very laid back by international standards). I travel across for it every year as it is a chance to get some good flying in at a great site with no pressure on the flight line.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95142.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1546029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bn77029.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1546030  
Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Ian Burridge

Ross/Roger,
Thanks for coming back so fast. It was going to be Feb/march but now looks like the end of Oct. No not for the rugby! A 2 hour drive would be ok as I could make a day of it. I will pm you when dates are confirmed but that may not be till the middle of the year.
Ian.