Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Tomahawk Futura 1.9m P-80

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Tomahawk Futura 1.9m P-80

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Tomahawk Futura 1.9m P-80

I have to admit at being a bit slow in getting this model finished. Not sure why ( other than I have been a bit busy, and other models have got in the way)
I really, really love the big Futura, and the way it flies. So much so that I have gone against my normal practice of getting the same model soon after selling one. So, until my next Big P200 powered Futura arrives I am hoping the little brother will fill the void.
I have not had a chance to fly the 1.9 as yet, as terrible weather in the Uk has kept me workshop bound, and this weekend is looking to be another blow out. [:'(]
This Futura was a very early kit that was collected at Jet Power. This meant that it had no woodwork fitted, or any of the prefabrication that the standard kits will be supplied with. Despite this, the model was assembled and ready to fly in just one week. The Gel coat finish and mouldings are near perfect. So much so that once again I chose to avoid painting the model and have vinyl applied to decorate it, using the Gel coat white as the base.
A big thanks to my friend Duncan, for his efforts on the vinyl. We started at about 6pm on Friday night, and I ended up getting home at 5am!! [:@] Still, it was worth it as I am delighted with how the model has come out.
I really liked my first Futura scheme ( martini) and decided to use it again, but with a few subtle changes. The most noticeable being an all new canopy shape, and a different design to aid visibility on the underside.
I have opted for a P-80Se for power. JR 8411's all round. A Spektrum 12100 receiver and 12 X guidance.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0246.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	2237588
Old 01-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Ali

Default RE: Tomahawk Futura 1.9m P-80

One of the drawbacks for some was the relatively big mass of the large Futura's fuselage. Transporting it in anything other than a large car, or van can be an issue. The 1.9 a really great size. Not to small that it wont fly well, but not so big that transporting and storage should become an issue.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Ali

Old 01-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Ali

Unlike the big Futura, the gear on the smaller one is Tomahawk's own product.
Trailing link, high grade aluminium legs, and some of the best made retract units that I have ever seen. The first time I saw the huge cylinders I thought they must be new units for Larger Futura. That was until I picked them up. Thomas did tell me how light he had managed to get them to ( But I have forgotten [:'(] sorry) I have some kits coming for customers soon so I will try to get a photo and some weights.
Tomahawk have gone this route as they were fed up with having to run high pressures in order to get the small cylinders to raise the gear ( especially the nose leg that retracts into the airflow) With the big cylinders you get a nice smooth motion at just 60 psi.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Ali

Just like the larger Futura, the 1.9 has a nearly all of the top of the fuselage removable. A perfect fitting hatch, that needs just one bolt at the front allows unprecedented access to every part of the fuselage, quickly and easily.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Ali

Radio area, and 2.8 lt fuel tank.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Ali

Turbine mounting area. Phew... That P-80 Se Kero start was a real tight squeeze.
Prototype models have been flying well with Evo jet/ booster/ hammer / G80/ G90's ( Sorry I cant keep track of what they are this week) Oh and a 130 size turbine [X(]
Old 01-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Jamie C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love that installation, nice an tidy and well layed out.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Ali

Thanks Jamie.
It's the handy work of Matt and Steve Bishop. The more builds they do for myself and my customers the better they get.
I rushed them a bit on this one, as normally Matt drops everything such as ECU, RX, Valves etc onto a false floor so its level with the top tray. On this one I asked them just to go with them all mounted on the top surface..... Its not as if space was every going to be an issue.
Regards Al
Old 01-12-2011, 04:13 PM
turboratt89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice size ship and good looking too cant what to video in action
Old 01-12-2011, 04:51 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to admit that after months of denial and a "Beyond the Circuit" video I am beginning to like the shape of the Futura, I suppose it grows on you after a while.

What did you paint the inside of the fus with, is it a stone paint?

Mike
Old 01-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Didier

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ali

One of the drawbacks for some was the relatively big mass of the large Futura's fuselage. Transporting it in anything other than a large car, or van can be an issue. The 1.9 a really great size. Not to small that it wont fly well, but not so big that transporting and storage should become an issue.
Ali,
This one is a beauty as always......
But........ I'm most impressed with the small wooden model you are building!
Guess this is your "back to basic philosophy".
Old 01-13-2011, 02:11 AM
Alex48

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice one, I really like Duncans efforts with these....

would it look better with bigger main wheels?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:14 AM
Ali

Alex... It looks this way in the photos more than in real life, but I think you are probably right. I will speak to Thomas and see if its possible, as if they fit. I see no disadvantage to having bigger main wheels other than lowering the AOA a little, but I am sure this is no issue. Oh, and dont say too much about Duncs work. He is already full of himself as it is, and I have yet to receive the bill
Thanks Didier. I am about to join you I think and get myself a Turbine Viper from Tomahawk also. I was so impressed by your one. Now if only I could convince Maikel to paint my one as nicely as he did yours
The free flight you see being built, is just something that I start for me and my son ( to try and get him involved in the building) it also goes to show some of those that think I just open my workshop doors and pull out a plane that a team of building elves have been working on for some months That I can actually build something myself. The fact that I did a full online build thread of a L39 some time ago does not seem to be enough for some. Also the fact that I spend up 20-30 hours every week maintaining, and readying all these models myself is also not enough. What little time I have left, I like to spend relaxing with my family, not building more toy planes [:@]
Mike. Trust me. I was the same. The first time I saw a Futura, I hated it. The second time at Jet Power I loved it. Then when my first kit arrived and it was bare white, I hated it again.. However... The moment I flew it, that was it. Job done! I love this model. I am so hoping the smaller one can be 75% of the great model the larger one is. Then I will be happy once more.
The paint is indeed a stone paint from B and Q. Trials, on various models have shown it is best applied over a base coat of primer. Otherwise it takes allot of stone paint to cover such a large area. Also be aware that out of the can its not kero proof. Although their is a sealer they do for it, we just leave it bare and try to be careful with fuel spillages.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:25 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suppose its a bit like Camila PB, does not look good in a photograph.

Thanks for the info on the paint.

Look forward to your report on its flying capabilities, not that I would be able to use it anywhere near to its full potential, but I am looking for something to put my Merlin 90 into other than another Boomerang.

Mike
Old 01-13-2011, 04:32 AM
Ali

Hi Mike,
Cant say i have seen here in real life, but get your drift.
I was hoping to fly it this weekend ( as our new video camera should be turning up as well) but it looks as if the only thing worth flying this weekend will be a dynamic slope soarer, due to the wind......... mmmmm I might make a few calls about that , come to think of it.
Merlin 90 would be an awesome combo in this jet. I was going to put mine in and try it, but wanted to prove it with the P-80Se first.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:38 AM
butler-campers

Ali you dont want that i paint your viper.
You know why, because the paint is not tree proof. ( just ask Didier)

I start to paint his new one next month
Old 01-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Ali

I would never be as disrespectful as to fly your stunning paint work through a tree. Tell Didier to paint his own viper, and I send you mine to do instead. That way you are sure that your exceptional paint skills go to someone who appreciates them
Are you making the next treewhacker the same colours as before, or something new?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:17 AM
butler-campers

He want the same paint colours as before.

He had no time to get bored of it
Old 01-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Duncan

ORIGINAL: Alex48

Nice one, I really like Duncans efforts with these....

would it look better with bigger main wheels?

Cheers Alex, i enjoyed doing them.

ORIGINAL: Ali

Oh, and dont say too much about Duncs work. He is already full of himself as it is
After that i'll add 20% for being a cheeky git .

I know what you mean Jamie, the install is nice and neat, it's what you should expect from a professional build though. I saw a jet for sale recently that was meant to of been professionally built and it was distugusting. It looked like my 1 yr old daughter had installed the air lines and servo extentions, spaghetti everywhere []
Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Selleri

Looking very good, wouldn't mind having one in the arsenal! [8D]
Old 01-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Ali

It can be arranged. We have two turnkey's to build so far, so adding a third would be no issue.
Delivery to B jets sir? Saves you having to bring a jet over
Old 01-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Selleri

Sounds good and I'll offer you a custom built Orange for a very reasonable price of £2000... well okay £1500 as it isn't brand new.

Hmmm, only bring myself, firewater and get a new plane... better get my calculator out and check the future price of rice!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:13 PM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Cracking scheme that!

I'd love another big Futura for my 200SX but waiting 4-5 months means I'd have bought and sold it and 10 models by then LOL

I think I have a P80SE in a box tho.....
Old 01-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Ali

There is one coming in next week ( Big Futura that is) that could be yours Mark As for small ones. Axel has just ordered the last one on my first order, but Thomas did say that he has two sets of moulds for the 1.9 so getting another shouldn't be too long. I have just sent Sveririiririirer ( Bob) a template for a sweet BMW F1 scheme. Axel's will be a porsche motor sport scheme. The next turnkey we are doing is in a Mclaren scheme ( The late 80's early 90 Retro one) so all we need is to find someone to base yours in Ferrari red, and we will have a race on our hands. Bickley jets 2011, start your engines!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.