Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet exhaust tube

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet exhaust tube

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:06 PM
luckyy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet exhaust tube

Its probly a stupid question , here goes What would happen if I took the outer tube off and used only one tube but covered it with a thermal blanket for the heat? The reason is to save weight in the rear of jet.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:27 PM
jetmaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jet exhaust tube

au contrere my friend , that's the way it was done long ago before the advent of the double wall pipe. it was heavy , and somewhat unreliable if you did'nt get it right . it was also a pain to get it right in terms of attaching to the turbine nozzle and exhaust ends. do yourself a favor and do the double wall pipe, air , in fact is a great insulator
Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: luckyy

Its probly a stupid question , here goes What would happen if I took the outer tube off and used only one tube but covered it with a thermal blanket for the heat? The reason is to save weight in the rear of jet.

I would have thought that the weight of the thermal blanket would be more than the weight of the outer wall of the pipe.

Dennis
Old 02-07-2011, 04:03 AM
icepilot

The thermal blanket (the types I have seen) are much heavier that the outer pipe.
Tor
Old 02-07-2011, 06:26 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked into one of the lighter weight pipes from Tamjets or other manufactures. I saved about 7 ounces on the pipe for my Flash compaired to the stock unit from Comp
Arf.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Chaps.... Dont get to excited about weight you can get to obsessed

Dennis
Old 02-07-2011, 12:11 PM
highhorse

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Tam himself asserts that he went to double walled pipes because they were, in fact, lighter than a single wall + blanket.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:49 PM
jetrichie

At least he is interested in saving weight most guys are prefer to load their jets up with powerboxes and other gismos making their jets much heavier than they should.

I have a flash that is 4lb lighter than one at the last meet I was at with the same turbine, just because of all his toys!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:33 PM
jetmaven

a great big amen to that jetritchie , way too much extra crap and, imho , not only adds weight , but most of it is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

Sailing1,

I've followed your advice from this and previous threads and ordered (and just received) a Tam pipe for the Flash. It looks great and is certainly lighter then the stock.

This is my first jet, so I am not sure how to install Tam’s pipe, when compared to the instructions for the stock pipe. I was hoping you could enlighten me. Do you have any diagram, or picture showing the installation? For example, is the bellmouth supposed to be on the inside or the outside of Tam's pipe (mine doesn't fit outside)? Where am I supposed to attach the two metal flanges from Tam’s pipe - to the bellmouth or to the bulkhead? In which position am I supposed to attach the flanges (e.g. 10 and 2 o'clock, or 4 and 8 o'clock)? Should I use rivets to attach them - if not, what have you used? I understand that I am not supposed to install the stock outer tube as well (which would fit), nor any blanket - am I correct? In that case, how do I fix the bellmouth to the bulkhead and how do I center Tam’s pipe within the exhaust nozzle?

Sorry for the many questions, but I assume that they should be easy to answer.

Thank you,
Beavis
Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 PM
FILE IFR

As I understand it, the pipe will stay considerably cooler as a double-wall... the venturi effect of cool air travelling through the wall space is it's secret. Blanketing the single wall pipe just keeps it insulated... and hotter.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:47 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: Beavis

Sailing1,

I've followed your advice from this and previous threads and ordered (and just received) a Tam pipe for the Flash. It looks great and is certainly lighter then the stock.

This is my first jet, so I am not sure how to install Tam’s pipe, when compared to the instructions for the stock pipe. I was hoping you could enlighten me. Do you have any diagram, or picture showing the installation? For example, is the bellmouth supposed to be on the inside or the outside of Tam's pipe (mine doesn't fit outside)? Where am I supposed to attach the two metal flanges from Tam’s pipe - to the bellmouth or to the bulkhead? In which position am I supposed to attach the flanges (e.g. 10 and 2 o'clock, or 4 and 8 o'clock)? Should I use rivets to attach them - if not, what have you used? I understand that I am not supposed to install the stock outer tube as well (which would fit), nor any blanket - am I correct? In that case, how do I fix the bellmouth to the bulkhead and how do I center Tam’s pipe within the exhaust nozzle?

Sorry for the many questions, but I assume that they should be easy to answer.

Thank you,
Beavis

Dario, Congrats on your new Flash .

A modeler here on RCU named BigBri... I think you met him at an event, just got his Flash in as well... He's a local jet guy that can answer any immediate questions about the Flash you may have. I'll PM him to get you in touch with him.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

Hey Mike,

Great to hear from you.

Thank you for your kind words and for always being so helpful to a rookie like me. I do appreciate all that. I may bug you with a few more questions, in addition to the many I swamped you with at the last Plum Island meet .

I look forward to flying with you and the other local guys before too long.

Best,
Dario
Old 02-12-2011, 08:18 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Beavis,

Just got done sending you a PM regarding your questions. I will take some pictures tomorrow and send them to you of my install with the Tams pipe.

Sailing1
Old 02-13-2011, 01:53 AM
JetPilotOnly

The double wall stainless inner / aluminium outer is the way to go. the cooling effect let you touch the alu while the engine is running !

...andif correctly made, lighter than the blanket version...

Mav

Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM
jetrichie

What about the tube diameter, what turbine are you using? maybe you can go down diameter if your pipe is designed for use with larger turbines might save another bit of weight
Old 02-20-2011, 03:01 PM
ron Sweeney

Just to add a little perspective, I always use Wren single wall pipes. They supply an aluminium foil backed ceramic blanket which is only about 3/32 ins thick. No heat problems on any of my planes, including a Flash. Twin wall pipes are far more expensive and so us pensioners find the economical solutions. My Comp' arf flash twin wall pie was 3 times as heavy. Its only the use of very thin guage outer tubing that provides the advantage so you pays your money etc etc. Ron
Old 02-20-2011, 03:02 PM
ron Sweeney

Just to add a little perspective, I always use Wren single wall pipes. They supply an aluminium foil backed ceramic blanket which is only about 3/32 ins thick. No heat problems on any of my planes, including a Flash. Twin wall pipes are far more expensive and so us pensioners find the economical solutions. My Comp' arf flash twin wall pie was 3 times as heavy. Its only the use of very thin guage outer tubing that provides the advantage so you pays your money etc etc. Ron
Old 02-21-2011, 05:19 PM
luckyy

ORIGINAL: ron Sweeney

How much weight savings?? with the wren pipe
Old 02-26-2011, 09:37 AM
grumania

A good double walled pipe does not need to be heavier than a single walled.Its the correct choice of materials.
Wrapping "something" around a single wall pipe is stone age technology and has no cooling effect ! As someone said earlier in this forum - it is just isolating a pipe that is even hotter...
Ilja