Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Protech PT80 Turbine Starting/Set-up problems – Projet ECU

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Protech PT80 Turbine Starting/Set-up problems – Projet ECU

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Jezza15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protech PT80 Turbine Starting/Set-up problems – Projet ECU

Hi there,
I am very new to Jet turbines so just learning the ropes.Just recently I purchased a band new Protech PT80 Turbine and am having problems activating the auto start or indeed getting the turbine to start.The Protech uses a Projet Eagle ECU and Projet GSU.
Should the Turbine start with all of the default ECU parameters? (voltages/temperature settings etc?)
The instructions manual is very unclear but I have adjusted the RC timing for throttle and throttle trim to maximum/minimum and also set the fuel pump voltage to 2 volts.
I have noticed however that the default value for the maximum starter voltage is 2 volts however the GSU indicates 9 volts and when I try and change it to the default setting the starter motor becomes hot and a warning buzzer sounds.
When I switch the ECU on, the LED on the IO board become green, then when I advance the throttle and trim to maximum the LED becomes orange (ready) but then I can’t seem to engage the auto start .
Any help would be very much appreciated as I seem to be nearly there but just struggling at the last hurdle. A mentioned the Turbine and ancillaries are brand new with zero run time.
Kind Regards
J
Old 02-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Protech PT80 Turbine Starting/Set-up problems – Projet ECU

ORIGINAL: Jezza15

Hi there,
I am very new to Jet turbines so just learning the ropes. Just recently I purchased a band new Protech PT80 Turbine and am having problems activating the auto start or indeed getting the turbine to start. The Protech uses a Projet Eagle ECU and Projet GSU.
Should the Turbine start with all of the default ECU parameters? (voltages/temperature settings etc?)
The instructions manual is very unclear but I have adjusted the RC timing for throttle and throttle trim to maximum/minimum and also set the fuel pump voltage to 2 volts.
I have noticed however that the default value for the maximum starter voltage is 2 volts however the GSU indicates 9 volts and when I try and change it to the default setting the starter motor becomes hot and a warning buzzer sounds.
When I switch the ECU on, the LED on the IO board become green, then when I advance the throttle and trim to maximum the LED becomes orange (ready) but then I can’t seem to engage the auto start .
Any help would be very much appreciated as I seem to be nearly there but just struggling at the last hurdle. A mentioned the Turbine and ancillaries are brand new with zero run time.
Kind Regards
J
Once the LED becomes orange or "ready" state, simultaneously return the throttle & trim to the low position and then simultaneously move the throttle and trim back to the high /full position. This process needs to be carried out within a two second interval. If everything else is in accordance, auto-start should initiate.

Also, in function #71 "R/C Timing"... make sure the pulse increases with throttle advancement and not decrease. If it decreases, you will have to reverse the throttle channel.

The manual states that the starter voltage should be 2 volts, so not really sure why your GSU is showing 9 volts unless you accidentally missed the decimal and it's reading .9 volts
Old 02-19-2011, 03:57 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your ECU is indicating 9 volts, I would have to ask, What voltage/type battery are you using??
Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Jezza15

Hi there,

Many thanks for getting back to me. I have'nt had time to look into the problems any further today bit will try tomorrwo. I have tried the throttle & trim to the low position and then simultaneously moved the throttle and trim back to the high /full position but it does'nt seem to initiate the auto start.

I have checked the R/C timing and the pulse does increase with throttle advancement. I will however re-check the starter voltage.

The battery I am using is 9.6v 4600Mah 8 cell and I have adjusted the ECU to show8 cells.

Any further help in the interim would be once again very appricated.

Just one further question - Should the Turbine start using all of the defaut ECU settings?

Kind Regards
J

Old 02-25-2011, 05:00 AM
Jezza15

Hi there,

I am going to have another look into my problems over the weekend but I just wondered if anyone knew the following;

Should the Turbine start using all of the defaut ECU settings?

KindRegards
Jerome

Old 02-25-2011, 05:34 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should start with default settings. Can you check the voltage across the starting motor when auto start is engage?. Most starting motor max voltage is between 3 to 5v so 2v looks right. Can you run a motor test from your start box?

I have noticed however that the default value for the maximum starter voltage is 2 volts however the GSU indicates 9 volts and when I try and change it to the default setting the starter motor becomes hot and a warning buzzer sounds

Ok after reading this part i'm pretty sure either your Starting motor bad(witch you can easily check by using a AA battery to test the motor it self) Or your FET driver in the ECU is blown. So you might have to send it back for repairs.

P.S My opinion
Old 02-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Jezza15

Hi there,
Thanks again for your feedback, it is very much appreciated.
I have had another go this weekend and have managed to engage the auto start from the transmitter but still no joy in starting the turbine.
When I advance the throttle and trim to max, the LED illuminates orange on the IO board indicating “ready”, then when the throttle and trim are returned to min, then back to max (within the 2 second window) the LED on the board illuminates red indicating auto start.I can hear the solenoids working but the starter motor does not spool up.The GSU reads the following over a period of around 10 seconds before returning to the “ready” state
PROP-IG STARTUP AUTO SLOW DOWN COOLDOWN
The error I then received was “No Ignition”, then the second time I tried the error was “Flame out”
The only parameters I have changed on the ECU are the battery configuration to represent 8 cells, the R/C timing and the fuel pump voltage to 2 volts.
I am still concerned with regards to the default value for the maximum starter voltage as the instruction manual states 2 volts however the GSU indicates 9 volts and when I try and change it to the default setting the starter motor becomes hot and a warning buzzer sounds.
As mentioned before the Turbine and ancillaries are brand new and unused.
basimpsnthanks for your help, I will check the starter motor this week but if this is ok, do you know where I can send my ECU to be checked/repaired?
Any further help or advice would very much help as this problem is a little frustrating as with the complete package being new I would have expected this to be quite simple to run?
Kind Regards
Jerome
Old 03-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Jezza15

Hi there,
Following on from my previouspost I have now checked the starter motor with a direct battery connection - The starter motor works fine but I still have the problems with regards to the ECU indicating 9 volts and the auto start not initiating.
Your thoughts would be very much appreciated as I am very keen to get the turbine up and running. Please help! :0)
Kind Regards
Jerome