Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Seriously, I need an intervention on

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Seriously, I need an intervention on

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:15 PM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seriously, I need an intervention on

Okay folks, I know I can't be the only one. Someone else has to feel like I do....[&:] And I am desperately trying not to post a comment ON the "Ask Seller Question" part of people's ads because doing so is in poor taste and I am not trying to make enemies and hurt people's chances of selling their wares, so....I need an intervention, somebody please save me from myself

Like every other red blooded American I wake up daily before going to work, brush my teeth, and sit down to a good review of the RCU Classified Jets section to see if there is any interesting activity. 9 out of 10 times, all the usual suspects are still for sale.

But almost inevitably "overpriced RCU Classified Ads jet guy" has placed an ad asking ridiculous prices for sub-par crap. Don't get me wrong, I am not talking about "$20,000 Mibo A-10 guy" or "$20,000 BVM Ultra Bandit guy". Those guys are actually usually asking reasonable prices for their jets considering what they paid the manufacturer for them.

I am more referring to over priced "Century Jet Model guy", "Over priced Boomerang guy", or "overpriced generic manufacturer guy", and people similar to those examples.

You know who I am talking about.... he bought a $1200 airframe. Had it pro built like 8 years ago. Lists every item in the jet at "Retail" cost including JR 8411s that he argues cost him $109 each because Horizon says thats what they cost retail like 6 years ago when they were first released. Adds $2000 for the build because he believes buyer should pay for the build cost. Claims it includes a P-120 NON-sx, NON-se "just serviced" that he rationalizes at $3500 more in his mind because thats what he paid 6 years ago when he bought it. Adds another $1000-1500 for sentimental reasons because his paint scheme is great, or he really likes his own weathering, or he will "really miss this plane" and asks like $7500 for the price of a 3-4 year old jet RTF that literally costs 2/3 of that to replace brand new.

Now, usually I say it to myself and dont "Ask Seller Question" onthe Ad and post something rude like "Good Luck" or "That's Funny". But I LOOOOOOOVE when someone else does it because we all know that's what we are thinking and nobody wants to say it....

So, help me out guys, when you see someone selling a "RARE" item for TEN TIMES the value, or a turbine trainer for $6500, what do you do to resist the urge to mock them???

Shaz
Old 02-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Kmarks
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seriously, I need an intervention on

Shaz,

I was thinking the same thing. As I was thinking about getting a boomer I had my eyes open when I saw this post. I must say I have sold some nice jets and other items in the past year and I would always list them reasonably and unfortunatly would always seem to lower the price however.

But the boomer that has a ridiculous premium on, well it will either get picked up by a newbie or it will sit. I also agree on another point, he stated it is many years old with many many flights on it, geeezzzz why not buy a new car drive it for 6 years put 200K miles on it and try to sell it for 40% more then new. hehe good luck.

Also I believe you were at speed world, sorry I did mot get a chance to meet you. Next year.

Kevin
Old 02-20-2011, 12:40 PM
sskianpour

Hehehehe, now now Kevin, what Boomer could you possible be talking about, I am just talking in generalities ....

I am not referring to any $700 cockpit kits, or $4500 Nitro-Falcon planes either, so get your minds out of the gutter guys! This is just a GENERIC post!

Shaz
Old 02-20-2011, 12:46 PM
FILE IFR

Shaz, you can't stop it and hang in there and do as you're doing.

To resist the urge to buy, think of the words Phineas Taylor Barnum may have said..... "There's A Sucker Born Every Minute"
Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 PM
sskianpour

Honestly Mike, if these sellers can get somebody to bite, God bless them all, I love capitalism! But it is sooooooooooooooooooo hard to not say anything....my buddy and I were talking about it this morning, and I was telling him if I dont post something somewhere, I would explode.

I mean no harm to anybody, I just couldnt contain myself any longer. This happens on RCU in EVERY plane category. Kind of like "$10,000 Top Flite P-51 Mustang Guy" about 6 months ago....

Shaz
Old 02-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK , intrvention time...

go and turn your computer off and go watch the snow fall

come spring leave yur computer off and watch the snow melt.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:18 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: sskianpour

Kind of like ''$10,000 Top Flite P-51 Mustang Guy'' about 6 months ago....

Shaz
What?!? You gotta be *****ting me... 10K for one of those?

Now I can see where your coming from.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OH! I know the feeling, yet it's a free market and everyone is free to post whatever price they want to ask, of course wise buyers will ignore the stupid over-inflated prices, let alone the fact that the economy is still weak and most of the time only lower than valued prices will get things moving, but as you stated above, sometimes it's a newbie how gets to pay the ridiculous prices due to lack of information, RCU should allow for ads to be red-flagged in order to avoid these people taking advantage of the less knowing new buyers.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:25 PM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Shaz...............you be nice .............like I am to you
Old 02-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Shaz,
You must be getting "cabin fever"...get some rest BTW my fav is when the add says (price is FIRM!!) that is usually the kiss of death imo

Vin...
Old 02-20-2011, 01:35 PM
sskianpour

George, Vinnie, I know, I know, I really need to stop being such a &$%^#* and mind my own business, sometimes its just so hard to refrain....

Shaz
Old 02-20-2011, 01:38 PM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Shaz lookd like nice flying weather Tues and Wed???????????????????????????????????[8D]
Old 02-20-2011, 02:13 PM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Intervention?

Did more work today after my cycling session!

Don't be cruel Shaz, I will list a ridiculous over price one soon.

Alex

Old 02-20-2011, 02:32 PM
sskianpour

I wish George, gotta work.... []

Shaz
Old 02-20-2011, 02:33 PM
sskianpour

ORIGINAL: avicom

Intervention?

Did more work today after my cycling session!

Don't be cruel Shaz, I will list a ridiculous over price one soon.

Alex

Alex,

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Shaz
Old 02-20-2011, 02:35 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I once had to comment on the price of someone's ad.

Their reply was "Don't you have anything better to do than to troll people's ad?"

My reply was "Now I'm really not gonna buy it"

Sorry, I think $22k for an ultra is still a bit much..... and I own one that I paid TOP BVMoney for.

Raf
Old 02-20-2011, 02:50 PM
SinCityJets

Shaz,

You're right man. When I post personal items to the classifieds, my stuff is priced to sell, and is usually sold in a couple of days. My fastest was the Bandit I just sold to Henry, and it was sold in about 3 hours. I have not committed myself to selling the Splash, but if I posted that up here, it would probably be gone in an hour at the price I have it at!

To each their own.....maybe they just really like it and don't want to get rid of it unless it's for stupid money.....or maybe...they're just stupid

Chad
Old 02-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Shaun Evans

LOL,

Ok, so it's not just me! Shaz, you don't need an intervention; you're fine. I see some of that stuff and laugh (or cry) too. At the same time, I've always thought that some of the $20k models up there were up there to bring up the "perceived value" of a brand. Sure enough, I've gotten to know some of the guys that buy and sell some of those, and the actual dollars changing hands are often nowhere near those kinds of numbers. Sometimes it's a shill-game/shell-game, and sometimes people think because it's jet-related, that an eight-year-old plane with eight-year-old servos and a "used excellent" Ram 500 is worth 199% of the list-price of the components...
Old 02-20-2011, 04:00 PM
STKNRUD

Like Lucy said in the Peanuts' comic strip when trying to sell a cup of limeonade for $1 million...."all I need is one good customer".

George
Old 02-20-2011, 04:06 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

I had a guy come up to me last FJ and ask "Is your Lightning for sale?". I said no.

He then said "come on...sell it to me...I want to buy it!". So I said "OK...$10,000".

He then said "Are you crazy? It's not worth that much to buy...I can get them cheaper online". I then said "that is what you will pay to get mine...because I do not want to sell it". "If you don't want to pay 10 grand...don't buy it".

I received a call a few weeks ago from a chap in Brazil who wants to buy my Tucano. Again, "it's not for sale".

That was not received well, because the person is used to getting what he wants. After some pestering, I said "OK...I'll sell it".

"$20,000 is the price, take it or leave it". He then asked what was the lowest price I would take for it.

I laughed and told him to have a nice day.

Yes, neither plane is worth that on the open market, and if they live long enough to sell one day, I will price them accordingly to sell...but until that day...it's on my terms. LOL!

When I sold my F-15...I priced it to move and it sold in 6 hours. My two big -16s went fast too because they were priced for the market. Hey...you can ask any price for anything...just don't expect to get it if you are off the charts.

Beave

Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 PM
03fomoco

Fully on board. I don't understand the jet ads at all. Everything I have for 3d plankers I sold for .50 cents on the dollar. I have a 2.6m comp arf extra with all top dollar stuff and it just sat at 2k and locally at 1800.00 rtf. Heli stuff is .40 cents on the dollar but the jet stuff is still listed at .70-.80 cents on the buck.

I have noticed I miss most of the level headed deals and by looking at the recently sold things seem more realistic.

When I started jets I bought a boomer for 2500 shipped put 10 hours on it in less than 3 months and sold it for 1800. Worked out great for everyone.

My rant is what is the deal with ads that have been relisted multiple times and zero responses to email or pm's? A certain Eurosport comes to mind. These arn't even offers, just hey can you send some setup or internal pics. Can anyone explain these ads???

Ok soap box clear for the next guy.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:49 PM
telejojo

I don't care what kind of RC model it is or who built it if you get .50 on the dollar you are doing good to average and that's tops I will pay.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Depends on the airplane-The BV stuff holds its value well because it is so well made. It can be a years old airframe and still be very sound. Now the Chinese stuff OTOH does not age well at all-wood, the cream cheese glue, and all the other parts just dont last and take very little abuse.
What I really dont get, and thats just me, are the $125 GSU's Really? ,most of us have a few extra around anyway (because they dont get hurt in the crash, but I did have one crash that hit so hard i think the shock wave broke the GSU But I saw it sold, dont know how much for, but it sold, so who knows. Scotty
Old 02-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Flynstuff
My Feedback: (29)

Shaz.

I have an 8711 I'll sell you for 300.00. Lol

It came out of the legendary F-16 flight and it means allot to me
Old 02-20-2011, 05:27 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Shaz
It is killing me not to comment on the "sweetest Elan Boomerang you will ever see"
For $6500...it better be covered with "Gold Leaf"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.